Options

Ticketmaster fan club seats at $125 each: Hard to imagine this in 1995

Comments

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    $125 tickets is surprising but what's more surprising to me is that PJ never does "tiered" pricing. So the person in the nosebleeds furthest from the stage also paid $125, which seems like a total rip to me.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,536
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    Just like anything in life, when you like something, involved, part of a tribe or a club you tend to ignore the hypocritical acts of whatever it is your invested in... 
    PJ is no different and as the posts indicate, you guys will excuse them for any price... 
    Take a look at the 3rd post pictures posted and check out the other band... Bad Religion - an actual punk band, not a band fronting as one.
    Ticket price 1995 - $21.50
    Bad Religion Ticket Price 2020 - 35.00

PJ Doesn't have to charge this much to make money, and you don't have to make excuses for PJ. Accept that they put making money over being true to what they've said in the past... AKA "Hypocrites" 

And the most import factor in all of this is that Bad Religions music hasn't fallen off a cliff since 2003.
    I wouldn't pay $35 to see Bad Religion in 1995 or 2020. 
    No one is asking you too... Is that supposed to mean something?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    Just like anything in life, when you like something, involved, part of a tribe or a club you tend to ignore the hypocritical acts of whatever it is your invested in... 
    PJ is no different and as the posts indicate, you guys will excuse them for any price... 
    Take a look at the 3rd post pictures posted and check out the other band... Bad Religion - an actual punk band, not a band fronting as one.

PJ Doesn't have to charge this much to make money, and you don't have to make excuses for PJ. Accept that they put making money over being true to what they've said in the past... AKA "Hypocrites" 

And the most import factor in all of this is that Bad Religions music hasn't fallen off a cliff since 2003.
    I think it is a poor comparison. I don't think Bad Religion is on remotely the same level as Pearl Jam and it makes sense that their ticket prices indicate that. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    $125 tickets is surprising but what's more surprising to me is that PJ never does "tiered" pricing. So the person in the nosebleeds furthest from the stage also paid $125, which seems like a total rip to me.
    I don't find $125 surprising, but I do think the bad seats should not be priced the same as the good ones.

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    Blockhead said:

Always the most import (sic) factor is total subjectivity.

Also, Bad Religion called, said Hi we opened for Pearl Jam 4x as recently as 2009 when they had fallen off your cliff.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2020
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

I think it is a poor comparison. I don't think Bad Religion is on remotely the same level as Pearl Jam and it makes sense that their ticket prices indicate that. 

Terrible comparison. If Bad Religion could charge more than $35, they would. There's no way they're making more than chump change after paying out staff given the size of the venues they play. Makes financial sense for musicians at the start of their career who are trying to grow an audience. Not old hats.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    if they did tiered pricing then you would find the better seats probably closer to 200 .00 so that the average would meet the required amount needed. most people wouldn't like that . and still even with tiered pricing other bands who charge more their tiered prices are still higher for the most part.  you can't compare bad religion to this band. there is no demand for their product hence the price of 35.00. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Exactly... You're proving my point...Its easy to say you stand for something than to actually do it.

• Options
    Blockhead said:
    Bad Religion - an actual punk band, not a band fronting as one.
    Pretension, the ugliest part of being a punk fan
  • Options
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Exactly... You're proving my point...Its easy to say you stand for something than to actually do it.

So if Bad Religion could sell out The Garden, or Wrigley, or San Siro, they would still charge $35 a ticket? 
  • Options
    I like Bad Religion
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    Blockhead said:

Always the most import (sic) factor is total subjectivity.

Also, Bad Religion called, said Hi we opened for Pearl Jam 4x as recently as 2009 when they had fallen off your cliff.
    So popularity = quality of music??? 
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Terrible comparison. If Bad Religion could charge more than $35, they would. There's no way they're making more than chump change after paying out staff given the size of the venues they play. Makes financial sense for musicians at the start of their career who are trying to grow an audience. Not old hats.
    Maybe more than 35.

But also, maybe they wouldn't charge 125 even if they could?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    edited January 2020
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Except I'm not. Bad Religion being unable to get more than $35 for their tickets proves nothing. Show me a band on Pearl Jam's level charging $35. 

It's willful ignorance to pretend the music business in 2020 is what it was in 1995. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

So if Bad Religion could sell out The Garden, or Wrigley, or San Siro, they would still charge $35 a ticket? 
    Again with the excuse making... So your saying that since PJ can sell those places out, that justifies whatever price they want?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,662

JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Except I'm not. Bad Religion being unable to get more than $35 for their tickets proves nothing. Show me a band on Pearl Jam's level charging $35. 

It's willful ignorance to pretend the music business in 2020 is what it was in 1995

To further this point, It's also ignorant to pretend people & their priorities don't change over the course of 25 years.

I feel like a lot of people around here wouldn't be too keen on being held to some thing they said 25 years ago... ESPECIALLY something said in advance about an industry that underwent changes that absolutely no one could have predicted in the 2-1/2 decades that followed.

But go have fun at your Bad Religion show, people... I'm sure there will be plenty of tickets available for you.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,557
    Lucky Charms is $7.99
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    I appreciate this thread (more or less) returning to its topic, but are we ever gonna hear back from the white supremacist?
  • Options
    Blockhead said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Again with the excuse making... So your saying that since PJ can sell those places out, that justifies whatever price they want?
    No excuse. Just curious as to you argument. Compared to their peers, PJ prices are not that outrageous.  Compare their prices to say Tool over the summer. Or the Stones. I paid more for both. I paid more for Phish, and Dave Mathews. Black Keys were more. NIN were about the same last time I saw them.

Also, I don't think you know what is the break even point or profit margin for their shows. There is a lot more cost that goes into shows the the size of PJ vs. playing small clubs the Bad Religion are. Maybe bad religion has a high profit margin with those prices at those venues. Doubtful, but none of us know. I doubt they are touring to lose money. 
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,324
    foodboy said:
    if they did tiered pricing then you would find the better seats probably closer to 200 .00 so that the average would meet the required amount needed. most people wouldn't like that . and still even with tiered pricing other bands who charge more their tiered prices are still higher for the most part.  you can't compare bad religion to this band. there is no demand for their product hence the price of 35.00. 

And the fan club prices would be way higher for the most part than all of the rest of the tickets, which is a bad look.
    Overall, they really take care of us imo
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,973
    Who would have though vinyl would make a comeback and that it would be more expensive? Something called inflation is responsible for higher prices, would be my guess and I'm not even a rocket scientist. I don't think $125 is outrageous for a band at this level. 
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,662
    Who would have though vinyl would make a comeback and that it would be more expensive? Something called inflation is responsible for higher prices, would be my guess and I'm not even a rocket scientist. I don't think $125 is outrageous for a band at this level. 

For a band that plays for at least 2-1/2 hours & 30 songs (+/-) every freaking night, it's a STEAL.

The lack of perspective among people in this fan club is staggering.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,331
    Wow, reality really doesn't exist for some people.

Live Music pricing is obviously all about demand, and has never had anything to do with quality. Sure, sometime the 2 intersect (see PJ), but the subjective nature of people's tastes in music rarely means your favorite artist is also everyone else's favorite unless it's tied by some outside factor, like age. I love The Beatles and Paul McCartney, but I would never pay that much to see him perform. I missed out on that time and will not pay for it now when quality has declined and nostalgia has kicked in. PJ is on the cusp of nostalgia and they still haven't gone ape shit with ticket prices. They are easily the biggest band of the 90's still fully intact and they don't try to take advantage of that at all. They have definitely loosened up their restraints on some of their music use licensing and corporate ties, so yeah, I guess they've "sold out" if you compare them to '95.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

For a band that plays for at least 2-1/2 hours & 30 songs (+/-) every freaking night, it's a STEAL.

The lack of perspective among people in this fan club is staggering.

Eddie doesn't point as much as Greg though :(
  • Options

JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

It's willful ignorance to pretend the music business in 2020 is what it was in 1995

To further this point, It's also ignorant to pretend people & their priorities don't change over the course of 25 years.

I feel like a lot of people around here wouldn't be too keen on being held to some thing they said 25 years ago... ESPECIALLY something said in advance about an industry that underwent changes that absolutely no one could have predicted in the 2-1/2 decades that followed.

But go have fun at your Bad Religion show, people... I'm sure there will be plenty of tickets available for you.

Sure they do, but its an odd shift in priorities don't you think... Making a public point/ fighting for all fans to experience your music to now just falling in line of what the other "Bands of their kind" are doing/charging. 
    seems lazy... which falls in line with their past three albums...

• Options

Reading through this thread makes me wonder why so many of you are even in this fanclub.

Everyone in the fan club should have one opinion, I’m sure the members of the band would support that.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,331
    Blockhead said:

JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Sure they do, but its an odd shift in priorities don't you think... Making a public point/ fighting for all fans to experience your music to now just falling in line of what the other "Bands of their kind" are doing/charging. 
    seems lazy... which falls in line with their past three albums...

That's your perspective, so I would guess you won't be attending a show or buying their album. They still have to pay their crew and the team that runs 10C and I would guess those people get benefits and raises because PJ seem like the kind of band who want to pay their employees a living wage and not a Walmart greeter rate. I'm sure they could cut corners and do a lot to lower prices, but none of it is going to have a positive impact. They care about the world around them and I believe are trying to do what they can to be fair to their fans and employees while also continuing to support the living they have established for 30 damn years. They could just retire and say fuck it at this point.

What would make this right for you, a letter from the band explaining why they have changed since the old days? A breakdown of how they spend their earning? Should Eddie issue an apology because he doesn't climb the rigging anymore while they are at it? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,444
    Blockhead said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:
    JimmyV said:
    Blockhead said:

Yes, 100%. Based on ticket sales they could obviously charge more than they even do now. It's pretty cool how hard they fight to keep things reasonable in respect to the market.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,444
    ecdanc said:
    I appreciate this thread (more or less) returning to its topic, but are we ever gonna hear back from the white supremacist?
    He's posted in other threads which leads me to believe more that he knew what he was doing. He's generally trolly and annoying but I didn't realize we were dealing with this.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,591
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    He's posted in other threads which leads me to believe more that he knew what he was doing. He's generally trolly and annoying but I didn't realize we were dealing with this.
    white supremacist?
    What did I miss?