Options

Ticketmaster fan club seats at $125 each: Hard to imagine this in 1995

Comments

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 920
    I think PJ is reasonably priced, in comparison to the market for A level acts. The band also delivers a huge bang for the buck with most shows coming in between 2:30-3;00. I couldn’t imagine making per year what I do now, even 15 years ago. I would have said don’t be ridiculous.All thing equal, I think the value per dollar / money made per hour ratio is pretty equal now to what is was 25 years ago 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,649
    edited January 2020
    It isn’t  hard to imagine because this is discussed every tour.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Looking forward to when this tour lottery stuff dies down, and people go back to posting this crap on Facebook.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    edited January 2020
    Inflation at 3% basically doubles the price from 1995 just as a start. Then you factor in how many people PJ employs and their salaries and benefits, rising expenses from bigger venues charging more, travel expenses, and their right to actually make a healthy profit. After that you've got (in my opinion only of course), a very reasonably priced concert ticket. It is also my opinion that the extra $20 (or whatever it is) in TM fees is a fair price to pay for the extra TC seats getting in the hands of real people regardless of whether I get one, the ease and comfort of fan to fan sale (assuming), and the single tickets. A healthy benefit to the masses, but perhaps not to a few individuals.

I wouldn't necessarily call it entitlement by the fan base. I understand exactly where they are coming from. All anyone wants is to go see something they care a lot about, and not have it be stressful or financially draining. That being said, I do believe that some people need to reframe their minds and expectations, and take a few deep breaths.
    Post edited by BizzzyBozzzy on
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,934
    I am so over this discussion. I'll just leave it at that.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Yup. It's an advanced version of https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars/

They have huge operating costs to run a tour and on top of that, they're entitled to make some money off of the art they make that we enjoy so much. And if they didn't, they'd have little incentive to do it again.
  • Options

They have huge operating costs to run a tour and on top of that, they're entitled to make some money off of the art they make that we enjoy so much. And if they didn't, they'd have little incentive to do it again.
    "some money"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,580
    I am so over this discussion. I'll just leave it at that.
     :) 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,444
    pjl44 said:
    My friend was raging against this price on Saturday night. He actually proved me wrong on one account when I swore tickets to Philly 2016 were over $100, but they were actually $86. So forget 1995, the tickets went up $36 from a 2016 arena show to a 2020 one. 

But what’s $36 right? 

It's what arena shows cost now. I'll pay it for Pearl Jam, but I've been priced out of most bigger shows at this point. Have to make these decisions as a consumer.

That is everybody’s right

It sucks what concerts cost these days but since the late 90s the younger generations thought they were being brilliant by pirating  music.

the net sum effect of this wide scale theft is it significantly devalued the cost of recorded music

The artists did not do this, the younger generations changed a marketplace that had existed for decades.

these are facts, not opinion, not lamenting.

so in the wake of this devalued market, WTF are musicians to do, give people free or cheap shows?

FFS, PJ is one of the cheapest concert tickets from a premium artist.

FFS they are selling next to the stage access for $98

do fans Not want ticket fees now? So they want the process of running the lotteries and distributing the tickets for free?

the level of entitlement in the fan base can be disgusting.
    On all of this, we agree. I see plenty of great shows for under $30. There are excellent bands playing 500-2000 person rooms every night. If all of one's favorite bands have been around 20+ years, chances are you have to do a lot of ponying up.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    edited January 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    My friend was raging against this price on Saturday night. He actually proved me wrong on one account when I swore tickets to Philly 2016 were over $100, but they were actually $86. So forget 1995, the tickets went up $36 from a 2016 arena show to a 2020 one. 

But what’s $36 right? 

It's what arena shows cost now. I'll pay it for Pearl Jam, but I've been priced out of most bigger shows at this point. Have to make these decisions as a consumer.

It sucks what concerts cost these days but since the late 90s the younger generations thought they were being brilliant by pirating  music.

the net sum effect of this wide scale theft is it significantly devalued the cost of recorded music

The artists did not do this, the younger generations changed a marketplace that had existed for decades.

so in the wake of this devalued market, WTF are musicians to do, give people free or cheap shows?

do fans Not want ticket fees now? So they want the process of running the lotteries and distributing the tickets for free?

On all of this, we agree. I see plenty of great shows for under $30. There are excellent bands playing 500-2000 person rooms every night. If all of one's favorite bands have been around 20+ years, chances are you have to do a lot of ponying up.
    this is not just to be blamed on younger generations, there were plenty of boomers and gen x (my faux label) that enabled this behavior, see Jobs, Steve and his devices, and others assisted in this race to the bottom.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    gatorjamgatorjam West Palm Beach, Florida Posts: 187
    Hi! said:

I bought my first car in 95, went through McDonalds drive thru and the combo meal was $2.99!!!!!!
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami
  • Options

"some money"
    You don't think Pearl Jam deserves the money they make?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    gatorjam said:
    Hi! said:

I bought my first car in 95, went through McDonalds drive thru and the combo meal was $2.99!!!!!!
    And back then you could probably supersize it, but Michael Moore ruined that for us.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

But what’s $36 right? 

this is not just to be blamed on younger generations, there were plenty of boomers and gen x (my faux label) that enabled this behavior, see Jobs, Steve and his devices, and others assisted in this race to the bottom.
    Oh, yeah, maybe I need an asterisk on that point. I have no feelings about laying that on any generation. It's just how recorded music is consumed now. 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    pjl44 said:
    PB11041 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

But what’s $36 right? 

Oh, yeah, maybe I need an asterisk on that point. I have no feelings about laying that on any generation. It's just how recorded music is consumed now. 
    Completely. I was more just saying it takes a village to burn it down generally.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    Stunning to wake up on January 20, 2020 and be told it is no longer 1995. Whowouldathunkit?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,563
    edited January 2020

"some money"
    Depends on how much they make, in the context of how much they charge.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Stunning to wake up on January 20, 2020 and be told it is no longer 1995. Whowouldathunkit?
    Probably a good idea to go back to bed.
  • Options
    For better or worse, it is definitely 1995 in my closet
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    How dare they not maintain the same price for the past 25 years?!  
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,662

If some had told you in 1995 how the next 25 years were going to go for the music industry, than it wouldn't have been hard to imagine at all.

You should be grateful they aren't charging more.

• Options

"some money"
    I don't disagree, but I don't see anybody being greedy here. As these tickets are lower than market value, that difference comes out of Pearl Jam's cut. Operating and facilities costs are what they are.
  • Options

"some money"
    I don't disagree, but I don't see anybody being greedy here. As these tickets are lower than market value, that difference comes out of Pearl Jam's cut. Operating and facilities costs are what they are.
    Yeah, I don't feel like the guys in PJ are soaking fans for every last penny so they can live the lifestyle of the rich an famous. Are they making an extremely good living. Absolutely. I assume they are all multi millionaires, but I also think they could have made significantly more if that were of utmost importance to them. And they are very philanthropical on top of things.
    For a Kiss fan (Spiritual Chaos) to question if PJ makes too much money is fairly laughable.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,662
    Poncier said:

"some money"
    Yeah, I don't feel like the guys in PJ are soaking fans for every last penny so they can live the lifestyle of the rich an famous. Are they making an extremely good living. Absolutely. I assume they are all multi millionaires, but I also think they could have made significantly more if that were of utmost importance to them. And they are very philanthropical on top of things.
    For a Kiss fan (Spiritual Chaos) to question if PJ makes too much money is fairly laughable.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,557
    Poncier said:
    gatorjam said:
    Hi! said:

And back then you could probably supersize it, but Michael Moore ruined that for us.
    It was Morgan Spurlock
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Poncier said:
    gatorjam said:
    Hi! said:

It was Morgan Spurlock
    My bad, mixed up my documentarians. Probably had too many fries to think clearly.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    Nintendo games has gone down since 1995 though. 
    Ha, and I still think they're too expensive. I really feel for my parents back when I was a kid when I begged for games.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    Now I've certainly always been one to scoff and laugh at all the ridiculous "whatever happened to the band that fought ticketmaster and used to stand for something" threads that have appeared here thoughout the years.  However... I will say Pearl Jam has just about priced me out of seeing them live and this might be my last show.

2013 10C tickets to Pittsburgh - $147
    2016 10C tickets to Hampton - $159
    $12 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 3 years passing
    2020 10C tickets to Baltimore - $254
    $95 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 4 years passing

Is Pearl Jam cheaper than Elton John, Britney Spears, Madonna, BIllie Eilish?  Sure.  But this is cause for concern.
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    To quote Canadian band Sloan - "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans". 

Our fan base is out of control. 

This has an opening ticket price of $97....

https://twitter.com/DitzMcGeee/status/1218427787410837504

Why are so many of us stuck in a 25 year vacuum?  As I said in another thread, if you are so obsessed with staying in 1995 forever, save your ticket money and your membership fees and put them towards saving up for a time machine.  It seems like a more realistic endeavor. 

For the remainder who haven't completely lost their sense of reason, I look forward to seeing you out on tour. 

1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,401
    edited January 2020
    I agree with the comments above.   You don't make money on albums anymore.   Live shows is the one thing bands can do that can't be easily replicated. 

I take solace in the fact that PJ's tickets are cheaper than most other 25 year+ veteran arena/stadium sized bands.   I paid $250 for decent GNR seats a few years ago, $400 for the Stones last summer.  I skipped Metallica's last tour because it was $200+.  Those are things I'm not going to go to very often.  At least with PJ the prices aren't that insane, and it means I can go to a few shows.

I will say that when I was younger it was well known that veteran acts charged more for their shows.   When PJ was playing in the 90s, their core fanbase wasn't that old.   They didn't have the incomes to support higher ticket prices.   While this is still the case for some people in 2020, I would say most of us make better income than we did 20 years ago.   For me paying $60usd or whatever it was for a Binaural Tour tickets in 2000 hurt the pocket more in 2000, than $125 tickets do in 2020.  At the same time a PJ ticket was $50 or $60usd (in 2000) I remember paying $129usd to see The Who.  I know we were all very aware the Stones charged a lot back then for tickets (compared to newer artists).

I do wonder how this all impacts newer artists.  Part of the reason PJ's shows are amazing is because of their catalog.   They put out a fair amount of music in their first 10 years.   It allowed them to have loads of songs to mix up sets, play longer sets, have that many more great songs to include in the sets.    The albums helped to lead to amazing shows.   If no one buys albums anymore, and streaming doesn't pay much, new artists need the live shows.    If they don't focus on albums and making music, how do they get to the point the live shows are amazing?  Seems to create a chicken/egg kind of problem. 
    Post edited by Zod on