Options

Ticketmaster fan club seats at $125 each: Hard to imagine this in 1995

Comments

• Options
    BE9456BE9456 Posts: 148
    I just paid $50 for Ty Segall acoustic solo, so if club shows are $50, and arena at $100 isn't shocking.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,444
    In 1996 I paid $27 to see Pearl Jam. 

Guess what? In 2020 you can still see plenty of bands 6 years into their career for $27!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,591
    Clapper said:
    To quote Canadian band Sloan - "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans". 

Our fan base is out of control. 

This has an opening ticket price of $97....

https://twitter.com/DitzMcGeee/status/1218427787410837504

Why are so many of us stuck in a 25 year vacuum?  As I said in another thread, if you are so obsessed with staying in 1995 forever, save your ticket money and your membership fees and put them towards saving up for a time machine.  It seems like a more realistic endeavor. 

For the remainder who haven't completely lost their sense of reason, I look forward to seeing you out on tour. 

It's  amazing to me how many people on here want PJ to be 1995 PJ. And Eddie to be 1995 Eddie....

To be so pissed at TM that you won't  work with them or their arenas.
    Attempt to keep ticket prices and fees down
    To be more like Fugazi
    To have moshpits at shows

The band has grown up, matured and has way different priorities now.
    As do most of us 25 years later.
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    BE9456 said:
    I just paid $50 for Ty Segall acoustic solo, so if club shows are $50, and arena at $100 isn't shocking.
    Post Malone in Toronto currently has single standard tickets available...behind the stage...for $270 CDN.  Stone Temple Pilots (you read that right. STP which basically now just a cover band) is $275 for official platinum TM tix.   But Pearl Jam is ripping us all off for $150 for a 2.5-3 hour show each night. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Prices are set on what people are willing to spend. I bet they have no issue selling out this tour, making the price they charge spot on. 

IMO Pearl Jam tickets are underpriced and I bet they could charge more and still sell out shows. 

Motley Crue charges more and they are lame as hell. 
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    Clapper said:

Why are so many of us stuck in a 25 year vacuum?  As I said in another thread, if you are so obsessed with staying in 1995 forever, save your ticket money and your membership fees and put them towards saving up for a time machine.  It seems like a more realistic endeavor. 

For the remainder who haven't completely lost their sense of reason, I look forward to seeing you out on tour. 

It's  amazing to me how many people on here want PJ to be 1995 PJ. And Eddie to be 1995 Eddie....

To be more like Fugazi

Right? It's mind blasting.  I just can't figure it out.  What part of ANY of our lives is the same 25 years later? I just don't how these folks get through life on a day to day basis with zero awareness of reality. There is a still a small percentage of fans that have grown with the band that I think are AWESOME.  But all the folks who think they are owed something by the band or the club, that the band shouldn't make any money or doesn't see how the world has changed. I don't have any more time for those folks. There is no reasoning or logic with them.  Thanks for getting it, man. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    I’ve said this before but Tool would have costed me $190 last year, for a seat at the back of the venue, and that’s non-scalper/resale prices.

We should count ourselves lucky that we can pay under $200 for a ticket that is in the pit. And for a 3+ hour show at that!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,401
    Clapper said:
    Clapper said:

To be more like Fugazi

Right? It's mind blasting.  I just can't figure it out.  What part of ANY of our lives is the same 25 years later? I just don't how these folks get through life on a day to day basis with zero awareness of reality. There is a still a small percentage of fans that have grown with the band that I think are AWESOME.  But all the folks who think they are owed something by the band or the club, that the band shouldn't make any money or doesn't see how the world has changed. I don't have any more time for those folks. There is no reasoning or logic with them.  Thanks for getting it, man. 
    I wondered similar things.   I've seen many posts on facebook that aren't kind, but it seems some people live in a bubble.   They don't understand TM/Livenation have a stranglehold on venues.  From what I gather about the '95 tour, it was almost impossible 25 years ago to find non-tm venues.  Then when they did, those venues didn't run themselves.   They had to run them on their own (staff, security, toilets, everything).   The tour seemingly ended in failure (most likely exhaustion) as Eddie got sick.

Now, 25 years later,  I don't think non LN/TM venues exists (or are extremely rare).  I don't think they could do a '95 type tour if they wanted to.  They fought the battle and lost.   The US government didn't pursue antitrust stuff with TM, and trying to avoid using them, and do everything yourself, led to the demise of the following tour.

If I was in a band, I'd just want to play.   I wouldn't want to worry about all the logistics that go behind playing a show.
  • Options
    They flat out said on one of the radio shows they see what their contemporaries are charging and go from there. First chili peppers were $125, then the foos went up to $125, now PJ is $125. 
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Zod said:
    I agree with the comments above.   You don't make money on albums anymore.   Live shows is the one thing bands can do that can't be easily replicated. 

I take solace in the fact that PJ's tickets are cheaper than most other 25 year+ veteran arena/stadium sized bands.   I paid $250 for decent GNR seats a few years ago, $400 for the Stones last summer.  I skipped Metallica's last tour because it was $200+.  Those are things I'm not going to go to very often.  At least with PJ the prices aren't that insane, and it means I can go to a few shows.

I will say that when I was younger it was well known that veteran acts charged more for their shows.   When PJ was playing in the 90s, their core fanbase wasn't that old.   They didn't have the incomes to support higher ticket prices.   While this is still the case for some people in 2020, I would say most of us make better income than we did 20 years ago.   For me paying $60usd or whatever it was for a Binaural Tour tickets in 2000 hurt the pocket more in 2000, than $125 tickets do in 2020.  At the same time a PJ ticket was $50 or $60usd (in 2000) I remember paying $129usd to see The Who.  I know we were all very aware the Stones charged a lot back then for tickets (compared to newer artists).

I do wonder how this all impacts newer artists.  Part of the reason PJ's shows are amazing is because of their catalog.   They put out a fair amount of music in their first 10 years.   It allowed them to have loads of songs to mix up sets, play longer sets, have that many more great songs to include in the sets.    The albums helped to lead to amazing shows.   If no one buys albums anymore, and streaming doesn't pay much, new artists need the live shows.    If they don't focus on albums and making music, how do they get to the point the live shows are amazing?  Seems to create a chicken/egg kind of problem. 
    new artist have to build it club by club in city.  mutli plays and never go away.  bands now NEED to make touring their business.  that why all the charger for Meet and greet packages have started for most of them.  extra income from their guar.

just an example: Greta Van Fleet.  in NYC, played Mercury Lounge, then their story grew to two nights at Bowery Ballroom.  Next was 3 nights at Terminal 5 and now Forest Hills was their last NY gig. Can they do the Garden?  doubt it  unless the package of bands they tour with would be worth it.  

Another example since they are opening for PJ in Europe, White Reaper.  Playing Wonder Bar in Asbury in March (go see them!).  Opened for the Struts at Bowery Ballroom last year, then headlined it. Playing Brooklyn in March as well.  Next NYC proper show i sure it will be Irving or Webster Hall.

Point is, it's all about touring for new bands.  thats why I LOVE that PJ is taking bands back out with them.  Helps newer bands get exposure to an audience that maybe wouldnt go see them in a club.

and again, WHITE REAPER FUCKIN RULES!!!  Go see them!

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    They flat out said on one of the radio shows they see what their contemporaries are charging and go from there. First chili peppers were $125, then the foos went up to $125, now PJ is $125. 
    But...... PJ's are $103....
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,591
    Zod said:
    Clapper said:
    Clapper said:

To be more like Fugazi

I wondered similar things.   I've seen many posts on facebook that aren't kind, but it seems some people live in a bubble.   They don't understand TM/Livenation have a stranglehold on venues.  From what I gather about the '95 tour, it was almost impossible 25 years ago to find non-tm venues.  Then when they did, those venues didn't run themselves.   They had to run them on their own (staff, security, toilets, everything).   The tour seemingly ended in failure (most likely exhaustion) as Eddie got sick.

Now, 25 years later,  I don't think non LN/TM venues exists (or are extremely rare).  I don't think they could do a '95 type tour if they wanted to.  They fought the battle and lost.   The US government didn't pursue antitrust stuff with TM, and trying to avoid using them, and do everything yourself, led to the demise of the following tour.

If I was in a band, I'd just want to play.   I wouldn't want to worry about all the logistics that go behind playing a show.
    My cousin plays with a band that recently sold out MSG for the first time. 14k people at $77 with fees.
    They made the multi-year climb from clubs to theaters to mid-size venues, festivals, and now headlining Red Rocks and MSG.
    Doing it all while being self managed without a record label.
    But they don't tour much and allow for solo tours where they play clubs at less than $30 with fees.

I don't know if I want them to ever reach multi-platinum status with sold out stadiums. It gets pricey after awhile. 

It's been fun watch to watch and enjoy.

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,350
    I’m just happy the band I fell in love with at age 16 is still putting out albums and touring.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,357
    edited January 2020
    JG108535 said:
    Its 2020....1995 was 25 years ago! PJ has done well keeping ticket prices reasonable over the years.
    One would pay $140 to see Billie Eilish who just started touring a year ago or so.
    Also, none of us will walk out of that building thinking that we didn't get our moneys worth.
    Worth every penny.
    Great points..... each of us has our cost breaking point.
    5 band members that I'm being asked to pay $25 each for 2.5 hours of great music. How many of us would do anything career wise for approximately $12/hour?
    It will be worth every penny - it always is :) 
    March Break can't get here soon enough 
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    BF89905 said:
    JG108535 said:
    Its 2020....1995 was 25 years ago! PJ has done well keeping ticket prices reasonable over the years.
    One would pay $140 to see Billie Eilish who just started touring a year ago or so.
    Also, none of us will walk out of that building thinking that we didn't get our moneys worth.
    Worth every penny.
    Great points..... each of us has our cost breaking point.
    5 band members that I'm being asked to pay $25 each for 2.5 hours of great music. How many of us would do anything career wise for approximately $12/hour?
    It will be worth every penny - it always is :) 
    March Break can't get here soon enough 
    They have to pay the venue and the crew and all that. Each band member would see a fraction of the $25 you mentioned.

It's funny when you compare it to paying waitstaff a tip when you go out to eat. You pay that person WAY more to carry stuff to you than you would end up paying each member of the band.
    Post edited by BennyLaRue on
  • Options
    Life is about decisions on what you spend your hard earned coin on. $125 isn’t bad at all and I really don’t get people complaining about this price.  It’s not like it is a weekly fee but once every couple year thing.  If you cannot save $125 in two years you have bigger problems.

91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    edited January 2020
    BF89905 said:
    JG108535 said:
    Worth every penny.

I have no gripe with PJ ticket prices but just need to point out that your $12.00/hour example would mean the band was playing to one person each night.
    They are probably playing to an average of 15,000 a night, so call it $180,000.00 an hour...but then you have to also deduct the expenses and crew salaries etc.
    Point is they make just a smidge more than 12 bucks an hour. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    BF89905 said:
    JG108535 said:
    Worth every penny.

I have no gripe with PJ ticket prices but just need to point out that your $12.00/hour example would mean the band was playing to one person each night.
    They are probably playing to an average of 15,000 a night, so call it $180,000.00 an hour...but then you have to also deduct the expenses and crew salaries etc.
    Point is they make just a smidge more than 12 bucks an hour. ;)
    Right, but he's framing it in personal terms to you as an audience member.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    My tickets to Baltimore in 2020 are $3 cheaper than my tickets to Fenway were in 2018.

The music industry has changed considerably and it is not Pearl Jam's fault. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,662

I’ve said this before but Tool would have costed me $190 last year, for a seat at the back of the venue, and that’s non-scalper/resale prices.

We should count ourselves lucky that we can pay under $200 for a ticket that is in the pit. And for a 3+ hour show at that!

I think if there are opening acts, we can probably kiss the 3+ hour PJ shows goodbye. (While on the subject, did any of the 2018 shows break 3 hours? I don't think either Fenway show exceeded 2:40).

With that being said, even a 2-1/2 hour show for $125 is a good deal for a band of this caliber. 

• Options
    kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 288
    It's just the state of live entertainment these days.  With all the on demand/streaming access for video, music, etc. it puts a huge premium on live entertainment.  The same thing is happening with sporting events too where ticket prices have multiplied in the last 20 years.  I found my ticket stub for my first show 8/1998 and it was "only" $26 with $3 facility fee and $5.40 Ticketmaster charge.
    Changing demographics has a big influence on price too.  Think about how most people kind of lock in their musical tastes and preferences when they're in high school/college.  Most of us who started off following Pearl Jam as teenagers in the early '90's are in our 40's now and in a much different place financially.  Spending ~$125 on a ticket to see Pearl Jam now hurts much less than spending $30-$50 20 years ago when I had no money in my checking account and paying off student debt.  Same thing happening with other bands from that era that still have a decent size touring following (ie Phish, Dave Matthews, U2, etc).
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options
     No one twisted anyone’s arm to buy the tickets. If you think they are too expensive you do not have to purchase them! What a concept you do have a choice!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,473
    Yeah everything changes from 20yrs ago I get reminded every day when I look at myself naked in the mirror...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    Yeah everything changes from 20yrs ago I get reminded every day when I look at myself naked in the mirror...
    I'm reminded of that as well when I watch you in the mirror from across the street.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited January 2020
    Now I've certainly always been one to scoff and laugh at all the ridiculous "whatever happened to the band that fought ticketmaster and used to stand for something" threads that have appeared here thoughout the years.  However... I will say Pearl Jam has just about priced me out of seeing them live and this might be my last show.

2013 10C tickets to Pittsburgh - $147
    2016 10C tickets to Hampton - $159
    $12 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 3 years passing
    2020 10C tickets to Baltimore - $254
    $95 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 4 years passing

Is Pearl Jam cheaper than Elton John, Britney Spears, Madonna, BIllie Eilish?  Sure.  But this is cause for concern.
    Were your Baltimore tickets $254? Or that just a typo? I ask because mine were $244. Maybe that $10 is the difference between GA and reserved? Or maybe (likely), you just made a typo. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    From Eddie’s 1995 Spin interview where he was “frightened” over the notion of only playing for people that can afford a $50 ticket ($83.88 in today’s dollars....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    Yeah that was before all their profits from selling albums dwindled.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    Now I've certainly always been one to scoff and laugh at all the ridiculous "whatever happened to the band that fought ticketmaster and used to stand for something" threads that have appeared here thoughout the years.  However... I will say Pearl Jam has just about priced me out of seeing them live and this might be my last show.

2013 10C tickets to Pittsburgh - $147
    2016 10C tickets to Hampton - $159
    $12 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 3 years passing
    2020 10C tickets to Baltimore - $254
    $95 rise in price - for a pair of tickets - in 4 years passing

Is Pearl Jam cheaper than Elton John, Britney Spears, Madonna, BIllie Eilish?  Sure.  But this is cause for concern.
    Were your Baltimore tickets $254? Or that just a typo? I ask because mine were $244. Maybe that $10 is the difference between GA and reserved? Or maybe (likely), you just made a typo. 
    +$10 hard copy ticket option.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,444
    edited January 2020
    From Eddie’s 1995 Spin interview where he was “frightened” over the notion of only playing for people that can afford a $50 ticket ($83.88 in today’s dollars....

"...unless, of course, technological leaps completely transform the distribution methods for recorded music and concert tickets in a way we cannot possibly imagine today," the frontman added.
  • Options
    craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,248