Options

Fan-To-Fan Face Value Ticket Exchange

Comments

• Options
    gkitt80gkitt80 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 24
    ajflicker said:
    JBob87 said:
    ritg19 said:
    It seems to me that once everyone receives their tickets, 10C, Verified Fan or General, there will be no more distinction between a "fan club" ticket and others.  All bets are off after that.  No one can transfer a ticket in name only (ex CO and NY).  The only option is to put it up for an anonymous face value sale on the Fan to Fan exchange which will include ALL tickets (10C, Verified or General).  I have to think the amount of tickets available on Fan to Fan will always be pretty small for shows.  How many people are buying a ticket to just sell it for face?  Probably those that got 10C tickets and weren't sure they were able to go, but did so just in case.  And very likely those will be snatched up really quickly for face since the seats are better than any non member could have gotten.       

Agree fully with your view. Secondary market is going to be weird. Expect most will fly off of the fan to fan exchange especially for sold out shows. I assume it is going to be a random crapshoot. I’m not seeing any way to actually scalp a ticket to this? Stubhub might not exist for these shows. Unless I am missing something. Which is both great in the sense that more people get in for face but means high 10c #s like me basically have no ability to upgrade beyond constantly refreshing the exchange and praying. 
    Ya I was hoping to grab better seats off the fan to fan if my 10C ones are floor. Last time because we got a physical ticket I was able to trade before the show.
    If you get GA and I get seats, I am happy to trade you - although this assumes we are both going to Baltimore (perhaps a bad assumption)
  • Options
    halshakarchihalshakarchi Toronto Posts: 176
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:
    My one big question is: how will TM prevent bots from seeing the F2F ticket postings first?

I'm not going to theorize conspiratorially, it's just on my mind.
    The tickets are not transferrable. The barcode changes constantly. There is no way the scalpers can resell the tickets (unless they’re in NY or CO).

Essentially this system guarantees the ticket never make a profit beyond its face value.
    I'm a big fan of the attempt they're making but you really can't use the words "no way" or "guarantee". We can already see knuckleheads trying to work the system with the TM account sharing.
    What if the system doesn’t allow you to set a price in the exchange? There’s no field to type in a figure? It’s just you offering up a ticket, and someone wants it and buys it for a set price.
    I believe Benny is suggesting they'd avoid the F2F exchange entirely and work some other type of shenanigans. 
    I can’t fathom any way they could do that with constantly changing barcodes and the system not letting you transfer tickets.
    Like they are on ebay, sell the TM login.
    From the public sale? Because Ticketmaster accounts newly registered would have been denied for the verified fan resale. Ticketmaster look at account age and activity to verify if they’re legit accounts, instead of ones newly created just to get in on the PJ tour.

I know, I sound very idealistic.
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:
    My one big question is: how will TM prevent bots from seeing the F2F ticket postings first?

The tickets are not transferrable. The barcode changes constantly. There is no way the scalpers can resell the tickets (unless they’re in NY or CO).

Essentially this system guarantees the ticket never make a profit beyond its face value.
    I'm a big fan of the attempt they're making but you really can't use the words "no way" or "guarantee". We can already see knuckleheads trying to work the system with the TM account sharing.
    What if the system doesn’t allow you to set a price in the exchange? There’s no field to type in a figure? It’s just you offering up a ticket, and someone wants it and buys it for a set price.
    I believe Benny is suggesting they'd avoid the F2F exchange entirely and work some other type of shenanigans. 
    I can’t fathom any way they could do that with constantly changing barcodes and the system not letting you transfer tickets.
    From the public sale? Because Ticketmaster accounts newly registered would have been denied for the verified fan resale. Ticketmaster look at account age and activity to verify if they’re legit accounts, instead of ones newly created just to get in on the PJ tour.

I had to create a brand new TM account for the 10c lottery, and I received a VF invite. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    ecdanc said:
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:

I had to create a brand new TM account for the 10c lottery, and I received a VF invite. 
    But you were on whatever list of active members 10C gave TM for use in the lottery. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    JimmyV said:
    ecdanc said:
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:

But you were on whatever list of active members 10C gave TM for use in the lottery. 
    That's true. I registered for the VF successfully and, as you rightly pointed out elsewhere (I think it was you, amongst others), those are completely separate. But, you're right--could be because of some overlap between the two databases. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:

The 10c membership probably helped you get the VF access.
  • Options
    I also wonder how much GA was available post 10c lottery
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    I also wonder how much GA was available post 10c lottery
    Weren't the odds for GA less than 99% in all cities? There shouldn't have been any leftover. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,850
    ecdanc said:
    JimmyV said:
    ecdanc said:
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:

That's true. I registered for the VF successfully and, as you rightly pointed out elsewhere (I think it was you, amongst others), those are completely separate. But, you're right--could be because of some overlap between the two databases. 
    So, if those people selling tickets on eBay right now are 10C members, TicketMaster and the 10C could probably figure out who they are, right?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    So, if those people selling tickets on eBay right now are 10C members, TicketMaster and the 10C could probably figure out who they are, right?
    Yeah, they will need to be in a lot of places though.

• Options
    ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166
    gkitt80 said:
    ajflicker said:
    JBob87 said:
    ritg19 said:
    It seems to me that once everyone receives their tickets, 10C, Verified Fan or General, there will be no more distinction between a "fan club" ticket and others.  All bets are off after that.  No one can transfer a ticket in name only (ex CO and NY).  The only option is to put it up for an anonymous face value sale on the Fan to Fan exchange which will include ALL tickets (10C, Verified or General).  I have to think the amount of tickets available on Fan to Fan will always be pretty small for shows.  How many people are buying a ticket to just sell it for face?  Probably those that got 10C tickets and weren't sure they were able to go, but did so just in case.  And very likely those will be snatched up really quickly for face since the seats are better than any non member could have gotten.       

Agree fully with your view. Secondary market is going to be weird. Expect most will fly off of the fan to fan exchange especially for sold out shows. I assume it is going to be a random crapshoot. I’m not seeing any way to actually scalp a ticket to this? Stubhub might not exist for these shows. Unless I am missing something. Which is both great in the sense that more people get in for face but means high 10c #s like me basically have no ability to upgrade beyond constantly refreshing the exchange and praying. 
    Ya I was hoping to grab better seats off the fan to fan if my 10C ones are floor. Last time because we got a physical ticket I was able to trade before the show.
    If you get GA and I get seats, I am happy to trade you - although this assumes we are both going to Baltimore (perhaps a bad assumption)
    I am going to Hamilton.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Yeah it does seem surprising that TM doesn't want some sort of fee.  I guess I see it working like Stub Hub....you post the tix for sale and then when someone buys them (at face) you get paid.  Or maybe they will add it as a credit to future ticket purchases like the $26 I still have that I always forget to use from that class action lawsuit all those years ago.
    I would put the odds that "TM doesn't want some sort of fee" at close to zero if I were a betting man. I can't imagine how much back-and-forth negotiating must've taken place over this.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,353
    mpedone said:
    ecdanc said:
    JimmyV said:
    ecdanc said:
    RS65573 said:
    ecdanc said:

There's time to trace and cancel if it's a 10C lottery winner selling a GA. I'll bet they are speculative though
  • Options
    Theoretically, couldn't scalpers try to beat the non-transferable (except F-2-F) rules by going to will call the day of the show, claiming their phone is busted (or some other excuse), get a paper ticket and then scalp that the day of the show?  I know that's a lot more work/man-hours than simply selling it on a secondary site, but just curious if that's how they'll try to get around it (well that and selling TM log-ins).
  • Options
    Theoretically, couldn't scalpers try to beat the non-transferable (except F-2-F) rules by going to will call the day of the show, claiming their phone is busted (or some other excuse), get a paper ticket and then scalp that the day of the show?  I know that's a lot more work/man-hours than simply selling it on a secondary site, but just curious if that's how they'll try to get around it (well that and selling TM log-ins).
    What if people who try to go in with paper tickets have to also show their ID and the names need to match.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    The problem with this is the same as the problem with selling TM logins - it might technically work, but the problem is that there will be a lack of trust in the process on the buyer’s side. If I’m going to pay you four figures for a ticket, I want the ticket delivered to me as soon as the payment clears. Buying tickets from strangers, especially over the internet, is a low-trust environment. This is one part of what StubHub offers to both buyers and sellers (the other part is market price information). Shady eBay or Craigslist postings that say “I’ll send you a TM login” or “meet me on this corner before the show” will be treated more skeptically by the buyers, with an attendant decrease in the premiums the scalpers will be able to fetch. 
  • Options
    euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    ajflicker said:
    gkitt80 said:
    ajflicker said:
    JBob87 said:
    ritg19 said:

I am going to Hamilton.
    When you say "floor" did you mean reserved seats on the floor or GA?
  • Options
    yanknuckyanknuck Peterborough, ON Posts: 57
    If people think the sales process has been bad, wait until this ticket exchange gets fired up.
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 341
    tdawe said:
    The problem with this is the same as the problem with selling TM logins - it might technically work, but the problem is that there will be a lack of trust in the process on the buyer’s side. If I’m going to pay you four figures for a ticket, I want the ticket delivered to me as soon as the payment clears. Buying tickets from strangers, especially over the internet, is a low-trust environment. This is one part of what StubHub offers to both buyers and sellers (the other part is market price information). Shady eBay or Craigslist postings that say “I’ll send you a TM login” or “meet me on this corner before the show” will be treated more skeptically by the buyers, with an attendant decrease in the premiums the scalpers will be able to fetch. 
    Exactly. Of course people will game the system and some will make a quick buck. But the systematic scalping that takes place for most big shows has been curbed for most of this tour. 99% or more of the tickets purchased, except for NY or CO, went to fans. Full time brokers probably didn't touch this tour because of what PJ put in place. Very please with how things have worked out. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    ISO: (1) San Diego and Phoenix. If anyone has a spare for each show, I would greatly appreciate it. Any seat (GA/Reserve) doesn’t matter.  I Can meet you at the venue the day of show for payment. Or I can Paypal. Let me know. Thanks. 
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    Just heard Rob, formerly known as “The Rob” on the faithful forum say that the Fan-to-Fan exchange was going to start next week.  Anyone know if that is accurate.  I know the original date was Feb 18th.
    Philadelphia - October 30th 2009
    Philadelphia - October 22nd 2013
    Baltimore - October 27th 2013
    New York - September 26th 2015
    Philadelphia - April 28th 2016
    Philadelphia - April 29th 2016
    Boston - August 5th 2016
    Boston - August 7th 2016
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Threet76 said:
    Just heard Rob, formerly known as “The Rob” on the faithful forum say that the Fan-to-Fan exchange was going to start next week.  Anyone know if that is accurate.  I know the original date was Feb 18th.
    I bet it was a mistake but could be wrong. We get to know where we sit next week. Prob what he was thinking.
  • Options
    euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    PJNB said:
    Threet76 said:
    I bet it was a mistake but could be wrong. We get to know where we sit next week. Prob what he was thinking.
    I would suspect they might allow users to start "listing" any tickets they want to sell and then on the 18th others will be able to browse and buy from whatever is listed. Otherwise, they "open" the exchange and everyone rushes there but it's empty because no one has had a chance to list anything :)
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I just thought of something. If I'm not able to go to Denver, how do I unload that one? Am I able to transfer the ticket another way? I'm kind of confused by this entire process. 
    I was super excited to win my second round pack to Denver, but as I came back to earth and started to remember my other financial goals, I'm less excited about blowing a bunch of money flying across the country for a rock concert. I've matured.
    But now I don't understand how I sell a ticket off an app that I've never downloaded in my life. And I'm not even sure I'll be able to do that.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    I just thought of something. If I'm not able to go to Denver, how do I unload that one? Am I able to transfer the ticket another way? I'm kind of confused by this entire process. 
    I was super excited to win my second round pack to Denver, but as I came back to earth and started to remember my other financial goals, I'm less excited about blowing a bunch of money flying across the country for a rock concert. I've matured.
    But now I don't understand how I sell a ticket off an app that I've never downloaded in my life. And I'm not even sure I'll be able to do that.
    Just go to your tickets on ticketmaster. You should have the option to transfer to a fans email from there. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    PJNB said:
    Just go to your tickets on ticketmaster. You should have the option to transfer to a fans email from there. 
    OK, thank you, I'll see if it comes to that. I'm up and down daily on my financial commitment to the trip. I've just heard that Denver and MSG have special rules, and since I'm no longer a concert aficionado, I haven't kept up with the technology changes for getting tickets anymore. Just making sure my TM and 10C emails matched and an updated credit card and all that . . . it was a stretch to get my ticket. I agree with the folks who really aren't a fan of this process. Too many log ins to different accounts/emails, too many steps, too many rules, and I haven't even gotten to the SafeTix app yet. Ugh.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Ok boomer
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    My 10c email is different from my ticketmaster email. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    G-FuryG-Fury Posts: 53
    ddeschler said:
    Wouldn't it be awesome if there's a 10c only section in the F2F?  Maybe they could negotiate that for us too!

Now this would be great!!!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Redditor posted today they called TM - NY & CO will not be participating in the face value exchange.

Thanks PJ for the perfect storm of decisions bringing us the most expensive concert tickets ever!