Fan-To-Fan Face Value Ticket Exchange

Comments

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    mpedone said:
    I thought TM tickets were non transferrable in NY but the club can make them non transferrable?

Sound like they both are non transferrable?

"...tickets will be mobile-only and strictly non-transferable, except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law."

Right, so club seats can be scalped?

That was my initial question/ curiosity. 

It's against 10C policy, but no, other than that, there's nothing to stop a 10C member from charging someone 3x face value for tickets to MSG.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited January 2020
    mpedone said:
    I thought TM tickets were non transferrable in NY but the club can make them non transferrable?

"...tickets will be mobile-only and strictly non-transferable, except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law."

yep....unless there are specific restrictions on those seats that is
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 541
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:

It's against 10C policy, but no, other than that, there's nothing to stop a 10C member from charging someone 3x face value for tickets to MSG.
    Karma is a mean bitch though.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mpedone said:

Legally, I presume, yes. But, 10c can presumably revoke memberships. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    .YAKIMATSU said:
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:

Karma is a mean bitch though.

I think NYers would desperately take an option of triple face value.

So there's hope once 10c tix are delivered seats under $900 for 100 or 200 level seats will appear.

Not that I'd spend 900$ but that's the cutoff for seats not touching the famous ceiling.
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

Either they allow the F2F or stubhub?
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

Don't know what they WILL do, but seemingly they could allow either, both, or neither. 
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

Don't know what they WILL do, but seemingly they could allow either, both, or neither. 
    My guess is that there won't be any policing by the Ten Club of members reselling on StubHub. Other than Sea shutting down G2F threads where people were soliciting or offering at above face, I think the enforcement mechanism under the "old" system was that if you tried to jack up another member for above face value they could report you to the club. If you sell a ticket for $1K on StubHub to a stranger there's going to be nobody to report you. 

I have no idea whether or to what extent the club or Ticketmaster has the practical ability to tie secondary market sales to Ten Club accounts. But even if they could theoretically do it, I don't think they will.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    It's risky either way.  The stranger on StubHub could be someone who just wants to report you (weren't there people in years past who used to do that?)  And 10C says not only can they revoke your membership, they'll also cancel your ticket purchase.  So somebody that doesn't care about losing their membership but wants to make a couple grand on their tickets, may lose out on both.    
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    It's risky either way.  The stranger on StubHub could be someone who just wants to report you (weren't there people in years past who used to do that?)  And 10C says not only can they revoke your membership, they'll also cancel your ticket purchase.  So somebody that doesn't care about losing their membership but wants to make a couple grand on their tickets, may lose out on both.    
    I don't know what stories from the past you're referring to, but I'm not sure I see how it would work this time around. If I wanted to go scalper hunting on StubHub and report the sellers to the club, how would I know which listings were for 10C tickets and which were obtained in the regular sale?
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    I think that actual seats can be tracked back to a 10C member, but GA is going to basically be impossible.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    Saltzy23 said:
    I think that actual seats can be tracked back to a 10C member, but GA is going to basically be impossible.
    Again these tickets can be transferred 100 times over after I sell them for face as the original owner. Once I sell them how am I supposed to protect myself if 10club finds out they are going for above face?
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    tdawe said:
    I don't know what stories from the past you're referring to, but I'm not sure I see how it would work this time around. If I wanted to go scalper hunting on StubHub and report the sellers to the club, how would I know which listings were for 10C tickets and which were obtained in the regular sale?
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking more of non NY/Den tickets where you'd have to meet the seller at the venue in order to get in.  
  • Bissy77Bissy77 Minnesota Posts: 445
    Couldn't their potentially be Bots on the face to face sales for NY and CO?  I sure hope not.
    MLPS: 6-30-98 ; East Troy: 10-8-00 ; St. Paul: 6-16-03 ; East Troy: 6-21-03 ; Camden: 7-5-03 ; Grand Rapids: 10-3-04 ; Thunder Bay: 9-9-05 ; East Rutherford: 6-1-06; East Rutherford: 6-3-06 ; St. Paul: 6-26-06 ; St. Paul: 6-27-06, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, EV MLPS 7-2-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-3-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-4-11; Wrigley 7-19-13, St Paul 10-19-14; Wrigley 8-22-16; Seattle 8-8-18, Seattle 8-10-18; EV NY 2-4-22
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    PJNB said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Again these tickets can be transferred 100 times over after I sell them for face as the original owner. Once I sell them how am I supposed to protect myself if 10club finds out they are going for above face?
    It sucks but I would be nervous selling to someone I didn't know for this reason. On one hand, it may not be your fault. On the other, it's an easy way to scalp and try to avoid responsibility. 

Example: I transfer to an acquaintance not in the 10C who scalps them. I could claim to have no idea what's going on even if I do. Seems like canceling tickets might be the only recourse.
    tdawe said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

My guess is that there won't be any policing by the Ten Club of members reselling on StubHub. Other than Sea shutting down G2F threads where people were soliciting or offering at above face, I think the enforcement mechanism under the "old" system was that if you tried to jack up another member for above face value they could report you to the club. If you sell a ticket for $1K on StubHub to a stranger there's going to be nobody to report you. 

I have no idea whether or to what extent the club or Ticketmaster has the practical ability to tie secondary market sales to Ten Club accounts. But even if they could theoretically do it, I don't think they will.
    It's apparently possible. I know a guy who was booted out of the Warehouse for selling DMB tix on StubHub. According to him, they matched the seats and his name.

pjl44 said:
    tdawe said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

It's apparently possible. I know a guy who was booted out of the Warehouse for selling DMB tix on StubHub. According to him, they matched the seats and his name.

They need to give NY fans the option of selling for at least an amount that would provide cost recovery if they're shut out of the F2F exchange. That is what they are providing to the other markets. The ticket page is explicitly stating NY tickets are transferable by law with no warning about marking up club tickets.

So at a minimum club seats will be at 25% over face on SH.

pjl44 said:
    tdawe said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mpedone said:

They need to give NY fans the option of selling for at least an amount that would provide cost recovery if they're shut out of the F2F exchange. That is what they are providing to the other markets. The ticket page is explicitly stating NY tickets are transferable by law with no warning about marking up club tickets.

So at a minimum club seats will be at 25% over face on SH.
    You don't have to sell there. You can hop on GTF and sell them at face. They'll be snapped up in minutes. Seems unnecessarily risky to ignore 10C rules about selling over face.
    Also, if I'm selling on GTF I'd be prioritizing people I recognize as being cool or, at the very least, someone with a deep posting history. Limit my risk of someone flipping them on the secondary. Selling to new accounts and squirrelly posters is asking for trouble.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    pjl44 said:
    Also, if I'm selling on GTF I'd be prioritizing people I recognize as being cool or, at the very least, someone with a deep posting history. Limit my risk of someone flipping them on the secondary. Selling to new accounts and squirrelly posters is asking for trouble.
    Yes. This. Exactly. 
    Then why not put that warning right on the ticket announcement?

Instead of this:

Ticketmaster has partnered with Pearl Jam to make sure fans get their tickets at face value. To achieve this, Pearl Jam has directed that tickets be non-transferable.*

*Does not apply to shows in New York or Colorado.

These tickets will be non-transferable, (except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law)

.. ..

Reselling of your guest ticket for above face value will result in cancellation of ticket purchase and possible loss of membership.

Putting all this together they would need to include NY tickets on the F2F exchange?

Instead of this:

Ticketmaster has partnered with Pearl Jam to make sure fans get their tickets at face value. To achieve this, Pearl Jam has directed that tickets be non-transferable.*

These tickets will be non-transferable, (except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law)

.. ..

Reselling of your guest ticket for above face value will result in cancellation of ticket purchase and possible loss of membership.

Putting all this together they would need to include NY tickets on the F2F exchange?

No, it just means they need to allow NY and CO tickets to be transferred at face value. Is there no mechanism to directly transfer tickets? 
    Supposedly someone at TM told a fan no NY nor CO on the face value exchange. 
  • kotton_crownkotton_crown Posts: 211
    edited January 2020
    Supposedly someone at TM told a fan no NY nor CO on the face value exchange. 
    So you find someone who wants it, they give you face value for it, then you transfer them the ticket.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    A 10C member can scalp without the use of Stub Hub or any technology. 
    1. Buys 2 tickets, but only needs one
    2. Meets a buyer for 2nd ticket on street, or just knows someone willing to pay the desired up-charge.
    3. Collects cash
    4. Walks into venue together.
    This sure is a popular topic of conversation around here. 
    I'm not recommending the above activity. I have always sold my +1 tickets in the past for UNDER face because people usually have 20 dollar bills and the tickets have always cost an odd-numbered dollar amount. I don't carry change. I'm just thankful I only had to buy one this time so I don't have to offload an extra. 
    Good luck getting into your shows!
    edited January 2020

Instead of this:

.. ..

It's Ten Club Policy, and is on the ticket announcement:
    "Reselling of your guest ticket for above face value will result in cancellation of ticket purchase and possible loss of membership"

(Though, this says "Guest ticket", so I'm sure someone will interpret that as meaning you can sell your personal ticket for $20,000 as long as you only sell your guest ticket for face. :weary: )
    Post edited by mpedone on
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• I need 2 tickets to Baltimore...

Been trying to come to terms with the fact that this will be an extreme longshot.  This fan-to-fan exchange is going to be EXTREMELY limited and the majority of the small number of tickets available will likely be singles.  It is hard to imagine very many folks who scored a pair of tickets to this show will later decide (or be forced to for reasons beyond their control) to say, "Nah, can't make the show."

Other than getting exceptionally lucky and scoring 2 on the fan exchange, I am trying to discern my options.  Thus far, I have only seen obnoxiously high prices on ticketing websites I have never heard of but allegedly let people sell access to their TM account for purposes of entering the show.  Even if I could come up with the money, not sure I would trust this process....

Are there any other legal and/or feasible ways of getting 2 tickets to Baltimore?  I have heard about the possibility of a "Platinum Seat" package but I don't see anything yet for this show.

Are there other options I have not considered?

I need 2 tickets to Baltimore...

Been trying to come to terms with the fact that this will be an extreme longshot.  This fan-to-fan exchange is going to be EXTREMELY limited and the majority of the small number of tickets available will likely be singles.  It is hard to imagine very many folks who scored a pair of tickets to this show will later decide (or be forced to for reasons beyond their control) to say, "Nah, can't make the show."

Other than getting exceptionally lucky and scoring 2 on the fan exchange, I am trying to discern my options.  Thus far, I have only seen obnoxiously high prices on ticketing websites I have never heard of but allegedly let people sell access to their TM account for purposes of entering the show.  Even if I could come up with the money, not sure I would trust this process....

Are there any other legal and/or feasible ways of getting 2 tickets to Baltimore?  I have heard about the possibility of a "Platinum Seat" package but I don't see anything yet for this show.

Some venues will release held tickets a few hours before the show (someone in Nashville went to the Bridgestone box office and asked about this). If you're in that area, maybe contact the box office directly and inquire about this?

I need 2 tickets to Baltimore...

Getting back to the exchange, I would pound it as soon as it opens for a day or two. Wouldn't surprise me to see pairs pop up right away. People who put in for 10C with friends and they both hit. People who grabbed VF/public tix as well as 10C and throw back whichever is "worse." Etc.

If you can wait, I predict another spike as it gets within a day or two of the show. Plans change, people flake, people give up on finding someone for their extras. Plus the holds that mpedone mentioned. Depending on how much effort you can put toward it, I think it's more likely than not that you can score tickets.