Options

Why does Pearl Jam hate Texas?

Comments

• Options
    lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
    weenie wrote:
    Va Bch and DC. I sure would like to go to a DALLAS show. I'd even settle for Oklahoma City!

The 03 OKC show was a really good one.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    next wrestlemania is in texas i think. if i can score tickets, i might go. :)

i've never been to texas. i know a few sweet friends that live there! ;)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,028
    demetrios wrote:
    next wrestlemania is in texas i think. if i can score tickets, i might go. :)

i've never been to texas. i know a few sweet friends that live there! ;)
    I have a friend that went to this pasts year's one in Orlando- he had a blast!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    lance_gray wrote:
    The 03 OKC show was a really good one.

Little further than I'd like to drive, but if they played Dallas, OKC and a few other cities up the road, it'd definitely be time for a road trip! I've always flown to see them except '03 when they played in Florida and '04 when they did Vote for Change in Kissimmee, FL - I was living in Florida at the time. I think that'd be the ultimate though, being able to drive from city to city on about a 6 city sprint. If I was still living in FL, I'd do it. But as I've said earlier, I love Austin and am not very fond of Florida - even though I'm a native. :)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    whidbeywhidbey ATX Posts: 57
    mookie10 wrote:
    Is this where george bush is from? Maybe thats it lol
    They are disgusted with the state that produced a man such as this
    Im just kidding, who really knows

We know.... George W Bush was born in New Haven, Connecticut.

Thing to love about Austin. The Daily Juice on Barton Springs.
    W. Palm Beach-1 08/00, Seattle Groundwork 10/01, Seattle 1&2 12/02,
    San Antonio 04/03, Raleigh 04/03, Dallas 06/03, Gorge 09/05, Vancouver 09/05, LA II 07/06, Tampa 06/08, Chicago II 08/09, ACL 10/09, Vedder solo 1&2 10/12, Dallas 11/13, ACL 10/14 1&2, OKC 2022, ATX 9/23 1&2
  • Options
    looks like PJ wont play Texas this year, but that's ok

I'll be at Bonnaroo and Columbia, SC

gotta go where the party IS...........
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    burgers in austin? Huts. Top Notch.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    WoodywoodWoodywood Posts: 13
    why they hate it??? come on.....you know every fucking reason for it since you live there...
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    Woodywood wrote:
    why they hate it??? come on.....you know every fucking reason for it since you live there...

let me guess, bush is from texas? even though he really isnt from texas?
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    MellowCatMellowCat Posts: 38
    Jason P wrote:
    As noted above, travel down to Big Bend and the Chisos Mountains. You get up around 8,000 feet. It's not the Cascades, but it's worth checking out. I've yet to make it down there, but it is on my list of places to go backpacking.

It amazes me how many Texans have never been to the Big Bend region of their own state! It's so beautiful. I was born in Alpine, TX and several generations of family ranched in that country for years, so it is near and dear to my heart. Ought to check out the Marfa Lights, too, if you're in that neck of the woods.

I have some advice, though. Keep the gas tank filled up and plan on driving a long way to get from point A to point B. It's big out there.

Now quit procrastinating and get your back-pack ready.

As for Pearl Jam, I wish they'd throw us a freakin' bone already.
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    burgers in austin? Huts. Top Notch.

Let's not forget about Sandy's on Barton Springs. Those people definitely know what they are doing
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    olderman wrote:
    it's the Big Ranch Steak House in Amarillo that keeps PJ away

http://www.bigtexan.com/

hmm, i'll have to try that place next time i'm in the panhandle. as for amarillo, jeff specifically name drops the city in a past pj newsletter as having one of his favorite skateparks/places to skate. gotta count for something for some of you.

as for the rest of texas, austin is obviously very cool and a great place to live/visit. however don't assume that the rest of the state is all shitty just cause some people said so. atleast find out for yourself if nothing else. i've lived in several areas of the state (including right by the atx) and have enjoyed them all. just gotta find what's out there that you like. seems that many austinites like to perpetuate the myth that it's the only decent place to live in tx. kind of ridiculous if you ask me. regardless, i was there in march for a few days and forgot how much i missed it. if looking for some great mexican food on the quick, check out habanero cafe on oltorf. best tacos around, bar none.
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    MellowCat wrote:
    It amazes me how many Texans have never been to the Big Bend region of their own state! It's so beautiful. I was born in Alpine, TX and several generations of family ranched in that country for years, so it is near and dear to my heart. Ought to check out the Marfa Lights, too, if you're in that neck of the woods.

I have some advice, though. Keep the gas tank filled up and plan on driving a long way to get from point A to point B. It's big out there.

Now quit procrastinating and get your back-pack ready.

As for Pearl Jam, I wish they'd throw us a freakin' bone already.

it's def a priority of mine to check out more of the big bend region. used to go to lubbock for camp every summer, but never spent much time elsewhere in west tx. a friend of mine is going to tech for his doctorate, so we'll be doing some tripping around to big bend and marfa when i visit. really looking forward to that.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    weenie wrote:
    Va Bch and DC. I sure would like to go to a DALLAS show. I'd even settle for Oklahoma City!
    See you in DC! Driving from Houston to DC and MSG I & II. Looking forward to the road trip.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Glad to see this thread has turned very positive.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    cc10106 wrote:
    hmm, i'll have to try that place next time i'm in the panhandle. as for amarillo, jeff specifically name drops the city in a past pj newsletter as having one of his favorite skateparks/places to skate. gotta count for something for some of you.

as for the rest of texas, austin is obviously very cool and a great place to live/visit. however don't assume that the rest of the state is all shitty just cause some people said so. atleast find out for yourself if nothing else. i've lived in several areas of the state (including right by the atx) and have enjoyed them all. just gotta find what's out there that you like. seems that many austinites like to perpetuate the myth that it's the only decent place to live in tx. kind of ridiculous if you ask me. regardless, i was there in march for a few days and forgot how much i missed it. if looking for some great mexican food on the quick, check out habanero cafe on oltorf. best tacos around, bar none.
    I hope my love for Austin has not seemed like a hatred for the rest of the state. As I said before, one cool thing about Austin is that it maintains some of the cool stuff about the rest of the state while getting rid of some of the shitty parts about living in Texas. People like to shit on Houston, but I grew up near there and always loved it. Always hated Dallas though, sorry, just had some bad times there.

Whoever mentioned the Showdown closing, that really sucks. I lived in an apt. in West Campus while going to UT and went to the Showdown often. I can't believe it's closing before I ever got an orange mug. That's bullshit.
  • Options
    worlieworlie Posts: 64
    MellowCat wrote:

Heed this advice! We ran out of gas about 10 mins from Fort Stockton and had to call roadside assistance. It sucked ass. Truly, none of the gas station are open past 9pm on the highway and we were stopping at each one trying to get a few drops out of the hoses!
    Then, the gas stations in Fort Stockton have a racket going. They charge you 80 bucks for the "service" of bringing a gallon of gas to your car and make you follow them back into town to fill up at their station. Bastards.
    i knelt and emptied the mouth of every PUG around...

7/5/98 dallas, 10/14/00 houston, 10/15/00 houston, 10/17/00 dallas, 4/5/03 san antonio, 4/6/03 houston, 6/9/03 dallas, 10/8/04 kissimmee
  • Options
    hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    whidbey wrote:
    Thing to love about Austin. The Daily Juice on Barton Springs.

The Daily Juice....is that the place across the street from Baby Acupulco???? and Shady Grove??

it is great!!

I dont live in Austin anymore...but visit once or twice a month for music...still a fun town
  • Options
    hoopinman wrote:
    The Daily Juice....is that the place across the street from Baby Acupulco???? and Shady Grove??

it is great!!

Exactly! the best juices and smoothies. They will make you verry happy.

Question: When the PJ at ACL rumours were flying, Dallas people were saying smirnoff center (or whatever it is called these days, the old Starplex) had the 25th of July reserved for Pearl Jam. Whatever happened with that?
    San Antonio 04/03, Raleigh 04/03, Dallas 06/03, Gorge 09/05, Vancouver 09/05, LA II 07/06, Tampa 06/08, Chicago II 08/09, ACL 10/09, Vedder solo 1&2 10/12, Dallas 11/13, ACL 10/14 1&2, OKC 2022, ATX 9/23 1&2
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    whidbey wrote:

Question: When the PJ at ACL rumours were flying, Dallas people were saying smirnoff center (or whatever it is called these days, the old Starplex) had the 25th of July reserved for Pearl Jam. Whatever happened with that?

Well you live in Austin like I do, so you know that the "Pearl Jam is playing ACL this year" rumor has been going on for 4 or so years now, I said this year just like I have every year, I'll beleive it when I see it. As far as burgers in Austin, Mikes Pub down town or Dirty Martins, there's also a place on Far West called The Boulevard that has good burgers.......
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    whidbey wrote:

It just disappeared. Several people got an update via e-mail for upcoming shows at the Smirnoff. The message included Pearl Jam. The next time the update came across the web, Pearl Jam was no longer included in the list.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Flagg wrote:
    Pearl Jam hasn't played a show in Texas in 5 years this June. Many of us are starting to wonder why? Texas is home to 3 of the largest cities in the US (Houston, Dallas and San Antonio) so there is plenty of opportunity to sell tickets. Texas has a rich and diverse culture and they seem to like that kind of stuff. Plenty of outdoor activities from camping to hiking to the beach to mountains. The weather is nice in the winter. More people move to Texas than any other state in the country.

But after thinking about it, I've decided that we have plenty of things that may not appeal to Eddie Vedder and his band of merry musicians. In fact, I can name several.

I'll start with some. Feel free to add your own. Maybe we can get to the bottom of why Pearl Jam hate Texas.

1. Too many George Bush Expressways, Tollways, or Highways
    2. George Bush International Airport
    3. It is hot - real hot
    4. Jerry Jones
    5. Almost zero public transportation options
    6. Lack of environmental laws - air pollution is good for you and the economy
    7. If you steal a loaf of bread, we are executing you
    8. We killed JFK - and yes, we have his brain
    9. Snobby, stuck up Dallas women
    10. W just bought a home in Dallas
    11. No bike paths
    12. We all carry guns
    13. Matthew McConaughey – we are really, really sorry about that one though
    14. 4 out of the Top 10 fattest cities in the country are in Texas
    15. Mark Cuban
    16. Shit-load of Wal-Marts.
    17. Jessica Simpson (and Ashlee)
    18. Bugs – lots of them
    19. Pick-up trucks – lots of them

more??

you forgot:

Willie Nelson (sorry about this guy)
    Luke and Owen Wilson (really SORRY about these two)
    & Renee Zellweger (I don't know what to say to this!)

BTW, Bush wasn't born here...he is from up there in Maine.....so it's not our fault!! :p
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Eds just a spoiled brat.
    I'll be back
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    you forgot:

Willie Nelson (sorry about this guy)

Are you kidding? Willie is like the coolest motherfucker on the planet.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Are you kidding? Willie is like the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

and he's turning 75 this week. Onward thru the fog, Willie!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Yeah, sorry. But you can't include Willie Nelson on this list. :D
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Houston native and resident here and a very serious Pearl Jam fan. I can tell you that Houston is a GREAT state for three Texas-based reasons: American, Continental, and Southwest Airlines. Three choices for getting the heck out!

I, for one, don't mind at all that Pearl Jam hasn't been to Texas in five years and have been going to shows on the west coast and not minding it one bit. A lot of people will say they can't afford to fly somewhere and see them. If you budget yourself, you can do it really cheaply. I plan ahead, save the money and do it. Me and a few of my friends do the same thing and none of us are rich or anything. We make a vacation out of it every time there's a show we want to see. We share expenses. It works out fine and is a lot more fun than seeing a show nearby.

While we've had some great shows in Houston over the years, they had gone progressively downhill over the years. The 4/6/03 show at the Cynthia Woods-Mitchell Pavilion was the last I went to here and, if I recall correctly, Ed sang Bu$hleaguer and then proceeded to, ahem, disrespect a mask of George W. Bush that he had over his microphone stand. If anyone here was there, you remember how funny it was.

Not that I had a problem with it (it was funny as hell) but this is Houston-f***ing-Texas and half the people in the audience, even at a Pearl Jam concert, are going to be bible-beating conservatives, in love with Bush, who are just at the concert because they liked the sound of Better Man when they were in college. Ed's routine political statements don't bother me one bit. I think it adds a lot to the show, but around here, we're not dealing with as intelligent a crowd. Free speech is not something that's really celebrated around here. When Ed went off on the rant about how Bush destroyed Texas' air, half the crowd started booing and people started bitching at each other in the audience. It was not at all what I'd expect from a Pearl Jam show, but I'd expect it from the clowns we live with down here.

Basically, after that, a bunch of people left and the ones that stayed just stayed in the audience creating a stir. That, and the Texas-sized security guards and police/sheriff roaming the crowds the entire time made me feel really good about being a known Pearl Jam fan in these parts. During the whole show they were interrupting songs and flashing spotlights to drop-kick some guy for smoking pot. It was just such a mood-killer.

Of course, the day after the show, there's the obligatory review in the Houston Chronicle where there's no mention of the wonderful music shared. It's just a huge diatribe about Ed disrespecting Bush in his homeland (nevermind that George W. Bush is from Connecticut, not Texas) and with quotes from disappointed concertgoers talking about how they were so hurt that Eddie Vedder desecrated the Bush mask. I was SO embarrassed to be from here when I read that! I knew Pearl Jam would not be back to Texas any time soon and I was right on the money.

So, this Pearl Jam fan probably won't be attending any concerts anywhere near my hometown if they pop up. I might consider a show in Austin, but Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston can't produce a crowd where the majority of the concertgoers aren't sensitive to the message Pearl Jam sends, either directly or through their music.

I don't have unlimited funds to work with when paying to go to shows. The quality of the shows in Washington, Oregon, and California (pick your venue) are of far superior value to me for my ticket dollar. You've got great crowds, beautiful surroundings, a very great mood, everyone's nice and typically Pearl Jam in their appreciation of the music and the shows and without any shred of negativity. I think they're uplifting! Dollar-for-Dollar, Texas just isn't as good a place to have a concert for Pearl Jam, in my opinion.

I look at it this way: While we all appreciate the shows they did do for us in Texas, not coming to Texas for the time being is Pearl Jam's way of saying they're not wanting to do any show where their act is marginalized, either by the crowd or any other factor they feel is relevant. I don't think they're willing to kowtow to the Texas machine in order to produce a "less divisive" show and I'm proud of them for it. If anything, it's a sign of peace and understanding.
    bryan. houston, tx
    favorites:
    gorge 9/1/05, 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    santa barbara 10/28/03, 7/16/06, 4/10/08 (vedder)
    monterrey, nl 12/7/05
    new orleans 8/14/2000 & 4/3/03
  • Options
    suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Houston native and resident here and a very serious Pearl Jam fan. I can tell you that Houston is a GREAT state for three Texas-based reasons: American, Continental, and Southwest Airlines. Three choices for getting the heck out!

I, for one, don't mind at all that Pearl Jam hasn't been to Texas in five years and have been going to shows on the west coast and not minding it one bit. A lot of people will say they can't afford to fly somewhere and see them. If you budget yourself, you can do it really cheaply. I plan ahead, save the money and do it. Me and a few of my friends do the same thing and none of us are rich or anything. We make a vacation out of it every time there's a show we want to see. We share expenses. It works out fine and is a lot more fun than seeing a show nearby.

While we've had some great shows in Houston over the years, they had gone progressively downhill over the years. The 4/6/03 show at the Cynthia Woods-Mitchell Pavilion was the last I went to here and, if I recall correctly, Ed sang Bu$hleaguer and then proceeded to, ahem, disrespect a mask of George W. Bush that he had over his microphone stand. If anyone here was there, you remember how funny it was.

Not that I had a problem with it (it was funny as hell) but this is Houston-f***ing-Texas and half the people in the audience, even at a Pearl Jam concert, are going to be bible-beating conservatives, in love with Bush, who are just at the concert because they liked the sound of Better Man when they were in college. Ed's routine political statements don't bother me one bit. I think it adds a lot to the show, but around here, we're not dealing with as intelligent a crowd. Free speech is not something that's really celebrated around here. When Ed went off on the rant about how Bush destroyed Texas' air, half the crowd started booing and people started bitching at each other in the audience. It was not at all what I'd expect from a Pearl Jam show, but I'd expect it from the clowns we live with down here.

Basically, after that, a bunch of people left and the ones that stayed just stayed in the audience creating a stir. That, and the Texas-sized security guards and police/sheriff roaming the crowds the entire time made me feel really good about being a known Pearl Jam fan in these parts. During the whole show they were interrupting songs and flashing spotlights to drop-kick some guy for smoking pot. It was just such a mood-killer.

Of course, the day after the show, there's the obligatory review in the Houston Chronicle where there's no mention of the wonderful music shared. It's just a huge diatribe about Ed disrespecting Bush in his homeland (nevermind that George W. Bush is from Connecticut, not Texas) and with quotes from disappointed concertgoers talking about how they were so hurt that Eddie Vedder desecrated the Bush mask. I was SO embarrassed to be from here when I read that! I knew Pearl Jam would not be back to Texas any time soon and I was right on the money.

So, this Pearl Jam fan probably won't be attending any concerts anywhere near my hometown if they pop up. I might consider a show in Austin, but Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston can't produce a crowd where the majority of the concertgoers aren't sensitive to the message Pearl Jam sends, either directly or through their music.

I don't have unlimited funds to work with when paying to go to shows. The quality of the shows in Washington, Oregon, and California (pick your venue) are of far superior value to me for my ticket dollar. You've got great crowds, beautiful surroundings, a very great mood, everyone's nice and typically Pearl Jam in their appreciation of the music and the shows and without any shred of negativity. I think they're uplifting! Dollar-for-Dollar, Texas just isn't as good a place to have a concert for Pearl Jam, in my opinion.

I look at it this way: While we all appreciate the shows they did do for us in Texas, not coming to Texas for the time being is Pearl Jam's way of saying they're not wanting to do any show where their act is marginalized, either by the crowd or any other factor they feel is relevant. I don't think they're willing to kowtow to the Texas machine in order to produce a "less divisive" show and I'm proud of them for it. If anything, it's a sign of peace and understanding.

I think you are remembering a different show. Pearl Jam did not play bushleaguer in Houston, and I don't recall any rants the way you described them. I remember Eddie making a few comments that a few people booed, but none directly at Bush.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470

Huh? I distinctly remember being severely disappointed that they didn't do Bushleaguer at SA or Houston, I really wanted the Texas crowds to have to sit through it. I remember both shows being pretty low-key on the politics.

Again, Bush's approval rating is like 25% now, I don't think their anti-Bush sentiment is going to met with much resistance ANYWHERE these days.

As fun as this thread has been (and another big boo for whomever apologized for one of Texas's all-time great gifts to the world, Willie Nelson) I really don't understand the need to ascribe ANY reason for the lack of Southern/Texas shows, it could all be simple logistics for all we fucking know. Maybe they've tried to play Texas every year since 2003 and it just hasn't worked out. There doesn't necessarily have to be some big reason for it, some intentional "boycott". Not saying there definitely isn't, but unless we get some sort of "We're never playing down there again" press release, this is all goofy speculation.
  • Options
    I might have been mistaken about the song, as I noted above, but the Bush mask did come out and it was not well-received by the crowd, particularly on the lawn.

That being said, hearing anything resembling a "boo" at a Pearl Jam show at any time except when Boom Gaspar is doing a solo is not something I expect. And the mood just wasn't there at all during the show.

To each their own as people at the same show can often see the show from a different angle (literally) but the show was definitely one I'd like to forget.
    bryan. houston, tx
    favorites:
    gorge 9/1/05, 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    santa barbara 10/28/03, 7/16/06, 4/10/08 (vedder)
    monterrey, nl 12/7/05
    new orleans 8/14/2000 & 4/3/03