Options

Why does Pearl Jam hate Texas?

Comments

• Options
    It may have been mentioned, but Louise was right.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    It may have been mentioned, but Louise was right.

Who is Louise and right about what?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Someone must have told Eddie there's only steers and queers in Texas.

But seriously, did anyone else feel like they got kicked in the nuts when the heard about the ACL line up?
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    maybe they don't like those big 5gl cowboy hats that all you guys wear down there ,and branding those steers probably doesn't sit well with stone ...;)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    suns22 wrote:
    Someone must have told Eddie there's only steers and queers in Texas.

But seriously, did anyone else feel like they got kicked in the nuts when the heard about the ACL line up?
    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Options
    abyanksabyanks Posts: 59
    ##. Because its not NYC and there is no Garden.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Two words, one initial.

Think about it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,028
    Two words, one initial.

Think about it.
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, huh?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    I would just like to point out that most of those don't apply to Austin, the little blue dot in a sea of red. Except for Matthew McConaughey, we take full responsibility for that one. Sorry. I coulda sworn he owned at least one shirt when he lived here, though.

Also, could we keep the responses to only those who've actually been to Texas, there are enough true stereotypes without the made-up ones (we all ride horses, etc.) It's been pretty fair so far, but I could see this thread getting ridiculous.

Thank you.

I've lived in Texas my whole life ... and while, I'll admit there are some douchebags that live here, I'm not 100 percent sure there are more douchebags per capita than anywhere else ... it's a big fucking state.

As for the argument that PJ can't sell here ... well, every show I've been to in this state, and I've basically been to every one since '95, has been sold out. Even Lubbock fucking Texas, which is the like the sweat ball on the armpit of America.

Of course, they haven't been here in five fucking years and counting, so maybe their appeal has dwindled here since then. I still find it hard to believe that they couldn't play one show in the second largest state in the union and sell tickets ... but what do I know?

I don't neccesarily mind their anti-Texas stance, mind you. I get to see plenty of America because of it ... it would just be nice, once every half decade, to be able to sleep in my own bed the night after seeing Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, huh?

Rhymes with Smorge Smubbleyoo Smush
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Joel Osteen.....
    isn't he from Dallas or Houston?
    I know he makes ME feel like upchucking....
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    weenie wrote:
    Joel Osteen.....
    isn't he from Dallas or Houston?
    I know he makes ME feel like upchucking....

Houston. But I agree.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    The Spurs are a boring ass team to watch and they ruin the NBA finals every year.

i will have to disagree with you on that one. i can't help it that the spurs are fucking awesome.

as for this thread: i don't think the guys necessarily hate texas... i can remember one of the best shows i got to see was San Antonio in 03- the energy was just insane.

i am super bummed though, that they aren't on the bill for ACL- I'm sure a ton of people would go (ahem..... ME) just to see them there. it's been 3 years since my last acl and that's three years too long.

oh well, here's hoping for next year.

ps- go spurs go.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    Hmmmmmmm....

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/files/George%20W.%20Bush.JPG

Seriously, though, it's probably the steroids in baseball thing. Christ, you guys were ground zero. Canseco, Juan Gone, Pudge, Palmeiro...
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I had to pause and reply to this real quick before reading on... Texas DOES NOT HAVE MOUNTAINS... there are many hills... some which might look like mountains... but no REAL mountains... I will never be able to accept this and I've been in Texas for about 18 years now... I've climbed REAL mountains... seen real mountains... mountains are breath-taking... and I know that this is just my OPINION.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    The real "Jeremy" was from Texas--at least one of them and we all know what that video did.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    TheLostSoulTheLostSoul Posts: 773
    :( shrugs. im indifferent about the whole thing again... tired of hyping myself up for something that wont happen.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    MrSmith wrote:
    I've been in Houston 4 months and it blows, but i'm perfectly willling to drive to Austin to see PJ. and everyone loves Austin, right?

Dude, you're from the big easy. Not enough murder and violence in Houston for you?
  • Options
    When Eddie lived in Houston for a short time as a child, he was bit by fire ants (he told the houston crowd in '03).

He's hated Texas and ants ever since then.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    moses562 wrote:
    I had to pause and reply to this real quick before reading on... Texas DOES NOT HAVE MOUNTAINS... there are many hills... some which might look like mountains... but no REAL mountains... I will never be able to accept this and I've been in Texas for about 18 years now... I've climbed REAL mountains... seen real mountains... mountains are breath-taking... and I know that this is just my OPINION.

Big Bend doesn't count?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    I was born here, and live here and for the most part.....can't stand this place.

More good reasons for Pearl Jam not playing would be:
    1. The Koffe Kup Kafe just south of me on Hwy 281 in Hico, I believe. Surely it was not meant to intimidate.
    2. I sign I remember seeing as a kid in Bowie, TX letting all black people know they better be gone before dark or they would never see the sun rise.
    3. TCEQ - Permitting Millions of Polluters Every Day
    4. The Mavericks blowing the 2006 Championship
    5. More children without insurance than any other state
    6. Radio Stations 570 KLIF and especially WBAP 820 with their barrage of Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin.
    7. The "We are the best" attitude, along with "Love it or Leave It"
    8. The "Liberals Suck and You'll Take My Gun Only from My Cold Dead Hand" Bumber stickers that dot the back of pick up windows.
    9. "Wife beaters, Fuckin Wifebeaters" - some of you remember that, you have to, actually one of my greatest moments in Texas.
    10. George W., It's already been said but it can't be said enough.

I remember Ed saying in 03 that they wouldn't be back for a long while. Now I wonder will it ever happen.
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    moses562 wrote:

As noted above, travel down to Big Bend and the Chisos Mountains. You get up around 8,000 feet. It's not the Cascades, but it's worth checking out. I've yet to make it down there, but it is on my list of places to go backpacking.
  • Options
    I've lived in Texas my whole life ... and while, I'll admit there are some douchebags that live here, I'm not 100 percent sure there are more douchebags per capita than anywhere else ... it's a big fucking state.

As for the argument that PJ can't sell here ... well, every show I've been to in this state, and I've basically been to every one since '95, has been sold out. Even Lubbock fucking Texas, which is the like the sweat ball on the armpit of America.

Of course, they haven't been here in five fucking years and counting, so maybe their appeal has dwindled here since then. I still find it hard to believe that they couldn't play one show in the second largest state in the union and sell tickets ... but what do I know?

I don't neccesarily mind their anti-Texas stance, mind you. I get to see plenty of America because of it ... it would just be nice, once every half decade, to be able to sleep in my own bed the night after seeing Pearl Jam.

If only I could afford to travel to tother places I would, I still would now if it was an ajoining state, but hell closest thing I can find of late has been Denver, with a short set or Tennessee and I can't afford the festival tickets. I agree all the shows I have been to in Dallas were well attended. It is a burnout, I knew I should not have got my hopes up for Sept. 25
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    They fear Dennis Rodman will show up again and not want to get off the stage!
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    cause Texas sucks thats why
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Agreed! Why the fuck can't I convince my wife to move. Of course I would just want to move back to a state where Pearl Jam is more rare.
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    well. maybe it's because there's only two things from texas.
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:

Have you ever been to El Paso? The Davis Mountains?

I mean, it ain't Kilamanjaro, but they are mountains by the geological definition.
  • Options
    On Mountains, Oklahoma also has some very old "Clash and Fold" Mountains.
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    When I see Pearl Jam at bonnaroo, I might bring a sign that says:

"Play TEXAS, you pussies!"
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Bonnaroo '08