Options

Why does Pearl Jam hate Texas?

Comments

• Options
    suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Flagg wrote:
    ROCK!

And Van Halen for the second time, and Bruce and Bon Jovi were just here. And the Foo Fighters were just here in January and will be back for ACL. And The Black Crowes were just here in October and will be back in May. Many others.

See PJ, it ain't that hard!

Don't forget RADIOHEAD as well......can't wait for that one next month.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    Chunky Salsa.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    The food is too spicy for Stone's delicate nature.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I'm glad the band is in the position of not having to go to venues they obviously do not care for, and I would throw in the fact that they are shunning at least four shows that would sell out in minutes (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin), but it would not really make a difference.

I just think it is downright piss poor that they play crapholes like SC, and the entire East Coast, and can't seem to find one of the biggest f*cking states in the country. Oh well, gotta love 'em.

Titty babies.

Now that that is said and done......Let the music play baby...let it play.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    They should do 8 shows in Texas during G-Dub's last week as President. :cool:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Cowboys suck!!!! Sorry Stone....
    Mahalo Mike..3/1/91, 5/25/91, 8/29/91, 1/3/92, 1/17/92, 7/22/92, 9/20/92, 10/25/93, 12/7-9/93, 2/5-6/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/6-7/95, 10/20/96, 7/10-11/98, 7/13-14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24-25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2-3/03, 6/5-6/03, 7/6-7/06, 7/9-10/06, 7/12-13/06, 7/16/06, 7/22/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    suns22 wrote:
    Don't forget RADIOHEAD as well......can't wait for that one next month.

I cant wait for that...the highlight of May for me. I dont think its a Texas issue..probably an economics issue, tour costs..etc.
  • Options
    why does Pearl Jam hate me? they wait for me to leave the southeast to play there, and now that i'm in Texas they won't play here either. I'm gonna move to Seattle so they will stop playing there.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I guess I should be upset they're not coming to Texas but I'm really not. I have so much fun travelling to shows that I don't care if they come here anymore or not. Guess it would be nice to not have to dish out that kind of money to see them but oh well. It's always been more than worth it:)
  • Options
    KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    Flagg wrote:
    Sorry man. Taking the wife along. She's my PJ travel buddy!

I wish more of us Texans could go. I think I am the only one listed on the seat tracker for my three shows.

Understandable, I was kidding of course. You are a very lucky man, though I have to agree with you on the Innocence Project. I listened to an interview this morning on 570 KLIF actually where a innocent man accused of Child Rape was finally released due to new DNA testing capabilities. This was not the man released a couple of days ago. It is scary how many innocent people could be in jail or even on Death Row and even though there are the wonderful groups like the Innocence Project, it takes the willingness of the DA's office and the hope that there was DNA evidence and that it was saved to have any chance of saving these folks.

Hope you have a good time at your 3 shows! Wow. I would take my wife as well.
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    That's kind of crazy though isn't it? How could he make a statement like that unless HE personally decided they wouldn't play here? I thought the promoter booked the arenas. Why would they segregate an entire state for five years or more?

And we don't need any Texas jokes here..........

Anybody thinking of Texas jokes to post let me tell you this. I'm from Miami and I've lived all over the country. I fucking LOVE AUSTIN. I wouldn't leave this place if they paid me. :)

Hey Weenie! Great name...

What's so great about Austin? I'm moving there in July so I'm curious why people are so high on Austin. I visited in January while I was in Texas to see the Foo's and I loved Congress St. -- Fran's had awesome burgers and Hey Cupcake was a nice dessert! Anyways, love to hear more about why it's so loved?
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470

What's so great about Austin? I'm moving there in July so I'm curious why people are so high on Austin. I visited in January while I was in Texas to see the Foo's and I loved Congress St. -- Fran's had awesome burgers and Hey Cupcake was a nice dessert! Anyways, love to hear more about why it's so loved?
    Gee, where to begin... two huge music festivals a year (and growing, i.e. Fun Fun Fun Fest), great weather (save the middle summer months, of course), cool local music scene, really laid back, perfect mix of a college town & a big city, perfect mix of the cool things about Texas while simultaneously shunning most of the the stupid shit (mostly)...

I could easily go on. I would love to turn this Why Hate Texas thread into a Why Love Austin thread. Basically it's the only reason why I stay at my shitty job with crap pay, to stay here. Came here to go to UT out of high school and now will (hopefully) never leave.
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Open wrote:
    Well at least Motley Crue will be playing here...hahah

Ew.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    suns22 wrote:
    When Eddie lived in Houston for a short time as a child, he was bit by fire ants (he told the houston crowd in '03).

He's hated Texas and ants ever since then.
    Was his first memory as a child......"satans spawn" (-:

He does though have family in Texas...
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    Gee, where to begin... two huge music festivals a year (and growing, i.e. Fun Fun Fun Fest), great weather (save the middle summer months, of course), cool local music scene, really laid back, perfect mix of a college town & a big city, perfect mix of the cool things about Texas while simultaneously shunning most of the the stupid shit (mostly)...

I could easily go on. I would love to turn this Why Hate Texas thread into a Why Love Austin thread. Basically it's the only reason why I stay at my shitty job with crap pay, to stay here. Came here to go to UT out of high school and now will (hopefully) never leave.

I'll add three great lakes and Barton Springs...lived in Austin 2 years and LOVED it....really awesome city.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    Joel Osteen.....
    isn't he from Dallas or Houston?
    I know he makes ME feel like upchucking....
    The leader of America's biggest "Common Sense" church....yea he's in Houston...bought the Houston Summit....past home of Houston Rockets and some great concerts....what a douche.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    he's an eagles fan and just HATES dallas. god bless him for it
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
    Is this where george bush is from? Maybe thats it lol
    They are disgusted with the state that produced a man such as this
    Im just kidding, who really knows
    "Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
    ~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Because Austin is fucking awesome, full of hippies and artists and musicians and freaks and the laissez faire attitude that tends to accompany such folks.

You can still find live music any night of the week. You can get great barbecue or Tex-Mex or burgers (Fran's? wtf is that? Go to Hut's).

In the spring, you can sit out on the patio at El Arroyo with a plate of enchiladas and a Dos Equis.

Barton Springs. Lake Travis. Happy Minutes at Texas Showdown ... until they close it down.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Because Austin is fucking awesome, full of hippies and artists and musicians and freaks and the laissez faire attitude that tends to accompany such folks.

You can still find live music any night of the week. You can get great barbecue or Tex-Mex or burgers (Fran's? wtf is that? Go to Hut's).

In the spring, you can sit out on the patio at El Arroyo with a plate of enchiladas and a Dos Equis.

Barton Springs. Lake Travis. Happy Minutes at Texas Showdown ... until they close it down.
    San Antonio's pretty sweet too. I try and visit at least once a year.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    MrSmith wrote:
    why does Pearl Jam hate me? they wait for me to leave the southeast to play there, and now that i'm in Texas they won't play here either. I'm gonna move to Seattle so they will stop playing there.

Dude, I have the same problem. So when I lived in the Southeast, I flew to Vegas and the Gorge. Now I'm in Texas, so I'm flying back east. You know that saying about Mohammed and the mountain? Gotta get yer ass on a plane.... :)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    The leader of America's biggest "Common Sense" church....yea he's in Houston...bought the Houston Summit....past home of Houston Rockets and some great concerts....what a douche.

Yeah! douche! that describes what Joel Osteen looks like perfectly! (don't ask me to explain that)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Glad to see all the Austin folks on here again. Hope you are all making some shows. I am going to Tampa.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    better question: why does pearl jam love new jersey? SERIOUSLY!!!!
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Austin=

Laid Back
    Liberal
    Music
    BBQ
    Hip
    Healthy
    Young
    Not too commercialized
    Live music
    social scene
    great economy
    friendly people
    Lake Travis
    A party for every occasion
    Hippies
    Neo-Hippies
    Blind Salamanders
    Vultures
    Roadrunners
    ACL Festival
    South By Southwest

If you had Fran's and liked that you are going to be real happy here. Try Hut's or Hills for a real hamburger.

Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    Fury Three wrote:
    San Antonio's pretty sweet too. I try and visit at least once a year.

I live in SA. It's OK. Nice place to live and all ... but it's not as cool as Austin. The slogans says it all.

Keep Austin Weird.
    Keep San Antonio Lame.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    he's an eagles fan and just HATES dallas. god bless him for it

HAHA! Seriously doubt Ed is an Eagles fan. But it is clear he hates Jerry Jones. That's on the list.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Glad to see all the Austin folks on here again. Hope you are all making some shows. I am going to Tampa.
    Va Bch and DC. I sure would like to go to a DALLAS show. I'd even settle for Oklahoma City!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

Fran's is supposed to be the best kept secret in Austin - at least that's what I read?! I don't think it's much of a secret though, on the day I was there it was packed. Best greasy burger I've ever had but I've never tried Hut's - thanks for the tip! Haven't tried Hills either - thanks Ledbetterdays...
  • Options
    Fran's is supposed to be the best kept secret in Austin - at least that's what I read?! I don't think it's much of a secret though, on the day I was there it was packed. Best greasy burger I've ever had but I've never tried Hut's - thanks for the tip! Haven't tried Hills either - thanks Ledbetterdays...

Seriously. Go to Hut's. I don't even LIKE hamburgers and I used to eat at Hut's about once a week.