Options

The "N" Word

Comments

• Options
    Was watching the TV show The Neighborhood and the mom was over who is old school and says offensive things.  When did Grease Monkey become an offensive term?  I always thought it to be one who turns wrenches in a garage, a gear head is another term.  I knew friends that said that as a badge of honor.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    A gear head here is a cocaine addict 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    edited September 2022
    Isn't  that because in the UK "gear" is slang for cocaine. And I think "food" is another drug slang.
  • Options
    Isn't  that because in the UK "gear" is slang for cocaine. And I think "food" is another drug slang.
    I never knew that.  Very interesting.
  • Options
    Yes. The young call weed food
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    Interesting to see this thread come back up.  I had a discussion on this with my niece this summer and I argued that when the word is used in a song it is ok for it to be sung by anyone listening to the song. she disagrees and says it should never be used. my argument was the artistic vision of the artist was to include that word and not using it changes the artistic vision of said artist. she wasn't buying it.  My niece is a millennial and we have had discussions along these lines on other topics as well.  i find it really interesting to have these discussions with this generation to see how their attitudes on many things have evolved from Gen X and Boomers. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Yes. The young call weed food

The nutritionally-complete Devil's lettuce?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Interesting to see this thread come back up.  I had a discussion on this with my niece this summer and I argued that when the word is used in a song it is ok for it to be sung by anyone listening to the song. she disagrees and says it should never be used. my argument was the artistic vision of the artist was to include that word and not using it changes the artistic vision of said artist. she wasn't buying it.  My niece is a millennial and we have had discussions along these lines on other topics as well.  i find it really interesting to have these discussions with this generation to see how their attitudes on many things have evolved from Gen X and Boomers. 
    I believe it was Chris Rock that said , "even if it's in a song, you should never say it."  Whereas other artists are ok if you are cool w them, your friends w them.

Now I have seen Millennials say never say it and then I have seen millennials that will sing it.  It is a mixed bag still.

The fact that Michael Che still says "The N word" on SNL should hold some weight.  I'm sure he is asked to not say the full word but still, it sets a precedent.

I have seen BustaRhymes watch videos of fans doing his songs and he credits the white ones for editing the raps when they do them.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited September 2022
    pjhawks said:

One of the coolest songs ever that brought black and whites closer together is linked below.  I appreciate the efforts  of younger generations to eliminate racism, but I personally think that in some ways, they've taken the wrong track.  This song is cool, it unites, it was written by a black dude, and if I could sing better than I do, I would not change a single word.  Take it, Sly!

Edit:  And don't get me wrong.  I neither offend people by singing in public nor by using the "n word" outside of verbally using it in quotes (so to speak) in a certain context and with people I know with whom it will not cause offense.  For example, I have said to my wife, "What do you think about the controversy over using the word "[n-word]"?"  See?  With her, I used the real word.  Here, I used "[n-word]".

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    edited October 2022
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    pjhawks said:
    I posted this on the last page, but it’s particularly relevant for this question

https://youtu.be/QO15S3WC9pg
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited October 2022
    pjhawks said:
    In music or literature the word has its place for a variety of reasons.  I still wouldn’t sing or say it out loud 

the word can still have it’s intended effect without you audibly repeating it.  

However I will say using descriptors like “n word” and everyone still knows what you are saying. It’s like when my kids substitute “frick” for the f word.  I know what they meant and if the intent was to swear using an alternative doesn’t make it ok either. Using a less offensive derivative doesn’t automatically change the intent. Who uses it and intent of those who can use the word is important.

For a word with a history as that, I really don’t know how you are even supposed to describe it as context and race makes it tricky.  Ultimately it’s up to the community it most offends to decide and there are varying opinions there. It’s absolutely not up to me 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    do people say "n-word" in context like saying "frick" though? if so, yeah, thats the same thing, but I've never heard people do that. 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    I always think of the South Park episode when i hear the word
    South Park S 11 E 1 With Apologies To Jesse Jackson  Recap - TV Tropes

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    do people say "n-word" in context like saying "frick" though? if so, yeah, thats the same thing, but I've never heard people do that. 

All I’m saying is it’s context.  You can say or quote something and replace it with “n word” instead of the real word it doesn’t necessarily make it ok. It’s all pretty situational 

im not comfortable saying African American because I don’t think “American” needs a qualifier. It’s Black. I’m just American.  I’m not Scottish american or Swedish American or whatever. I’m white 

I have some friends who prefer African American and some who prefer black so if I need to use a descriptive in a conversation I use what they prefer.  Kind of like pronouns 

I don’t think anything has 100 percent defined rules besides don’t say the N word if you are white. Period 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited October 2022

All I’m saying is it’s context.  You can say or quote something and replace it with “n word” instead of the real word it doesn’t necessarily make it ok. It’s all pretty situational 

im not comfortable saying African American because I don’t think “American” needs a qualifier. It’s Black. I’m just American.  I’m not Scottish american or Swedish American or whatever. I’m white 

I have some friends who prefer African American and some who prefer black so if I need to use a descriptive in a conversation I use what they prefer.  Kind of like pronouns 
    Regarding African-American, I toned down my use of that when I heard someone refer to Nelson Mandela as African American...At the very least I have to know for certain that someone actually is American...
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    OnWis97 said:

Regarding African-American, I toned down my use of that when I heard someone refer to Nelson Mandela as African American...At the very least I have to know for certain that someone actually is American...
    Dave matthews is African American.  It’s not a race it’s an origin and a very non specific origin.  It’s certainly more applicable to him than Nelson Mandela 

But yeah it’s absurd to use that term as a blanket description of a race no matter where they are from… but then again some people want to be referred to as such so ok 

not to even get into the fact it’s an entire continent of many countries and cultures, and it’s almost like referring to it as a singular country… ie Italian American, Irish American. Those are specific cultures. Africa isn’t.  the more you think about it the worse it seems 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Scottish-Manitoban has a nice ring to it. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    In music or literature the word has its place for a variety of reasons.  I still wouldn’t sing or say it out loud 

the word can still have it’s intended effect without you audibly repeating it.  

However I will say using descriptors like “n word” and everyone still knows what you are saying. It’s like when my kids substitute “frick” for the f word.  I know what they meant and if the intent was to swear using an alternative doesn’t make it ok either. Using a less offensive derivative doesn’t automatically change the intent. Who uses it and intent of those who can use the word is important.

For a word with a history as that, I really don’t know how you are even supposed to describe it as context and race makes it tricky.  Ultimately it’s up to the community it most offends to decide and there are varying opinions there. It’s absolutely not up to me 

My wife and I were recently having a similar discussion about expletives.  I think it was George Carlin who said, "Don't kid yourself, your 'shoot' is 'shit'". 
    All words (of course) are harmless, and it's only the intent of their use that can be damaging. 
    I also find that certain words have a power both in their meaning and/or because of their characteristic onomatopoeia that make them most useful when used judiciously.  I've know people who can't say one fucking sentence without using the powerful word "fuck" and it fucking makes me fucking crazy (obvious an over use of the word "fuck").  That's a great word, but is best reserved for situation like when you bash you shin on the coffee table or when you first hear that Donald Trump has won an election.

But, yeah, it gets tricky with racial slurs.  Out of respect for the fact that many people find it offensive under any circumstance, I don't say [n-word], I say "n-word".  But to be honest, I think our society has gone overboard with that kind of imposed restriction.  Why should I be able to refer to a white person as "cracker", "whitey", or "honky", but a black person can't use that term in a none-discriminatory manner (like in a joke or a reference)?  To my way of thinking, this kind of word prohibition is taking political correctness to a unnecessary extreme. But then I feel that way about political correctness in general.
    Scottish-Manitoban has a nice ring to it. lol

Indeed, lol!

Y'all can call me "honky".  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I think being called a "white" slur isn't nearly as bad since we weren't on the receiving end of abuse for 250 years. it has a much stronger connotation than honky. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I think being called a "white" slur isn't nearly as bad since we weren't on the receiving end of abuse for 250 years. it has a much stronger connotation than honky. 
    True. I think a lot of what’s going on with the n word has to do with reclaiming the word.  That’s why white people can’t use it ever.  Black people can have the debate internally about when to use it and when not to. Has nothing to do with white people it’s not our word anymore 

a white slur is apples and oranges broadly.  We haven’t been repressed and we have no need to reclaim any white slurs from a group who oppressed us.  

Maybe it’s different with sub groups like Irish or Italian or polish slurs as there are a lot.  Sure those communities can use them internally as that’s up to them, but other white people shouldn’t as you can’t  fully understand the impact of it. Similar but still not a historical equivalent 
  • Options

True, although there are subsets of whites who get singled out and harassed badly.  The Amish for example.  If you've seen the film Witness you get a good sense of what they have had to deal with.

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    I posted this on the last page, but it’s particularly relevant for this question

https://youtu.be/QO15S3WC9pg
    That girl fell all over herself to be apologetic huh?

Very well thought out by Coates.  He is very witty.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

True, although there are subsets of whites who get singled out and harassed badly.  The Amish for example.  If you've seen the film Witness you get a good sense of what they have had to deal with.
    Who bothers the Amish?  They make great stuff!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    brianlux said:

We had Hutterite colonies where I grew up. Amish with electricity 

people always thought they stole from every store they entered.  Speaking German amongst themselves didn’t help. Everyone labeled that suspicious.  People commonly do that with Spanish speakers too 

I believe it 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    True. I think a lot of what’s going on with the n word has to do with reclaiming the word.  That’s why white people can’t use it ever.  Black people can have the debate internally about when to use it and when not to. Has nothing to do with white people it’s not our word anymore 

a white slur is apples and oranges broadly.  We haven’t been repressed and we have no need to reclaim any white slurs from a group who oppressed us.  

Maybe it’s different with sub groups like Irish or Italian or polish slurs as there are a lot.  Sure those communities can use them internally as that’s up to them, but other white people shouldn’t as you can’t  fully understand the impact of it. Similar but still not a historical equivalent 
    I used to be in the "if they use it it's ok for us to say it" camp but that's wrong....not a word that we should ever use
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    brianlux said:

I am sure they deal with a lot of unfair treatment. But it's not really because they're white.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

I am sure they deal with a lot of unfair treatment. But it's not really because they're white.
    Exactly. That’s kind of the point in the larger context of how we view race. 

We can see they are a distinct culture within a larger white race.  We are quick to be able to separate different elements of white culture and recognise Irish, Amish, polish isn’t the same thing. Black culture is reduced to “African” not the distinct cultures they come from and evolved from. It’s not homogenous 

It’s comparing a slur directed at everyone Vs a slur directed at a small group within a larger one. It would make no sense if I used an Irish slur to a German.  I can’t even use a white slur properly without at least a basic understanding of their culture. Saying the N word requires none of that. That makes it dehumanising 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

We had Hutterite colonies where I grew up. Amish with electricity 

people always thought they stole from every store they entered.  Speaking German amongst themselves didn’t help. Everyone labeled that suspicious.  People commonly do that with Spanish speakers too 

I believe it 
    We have Mennonites that fit that description in PA.  They are also referred to as Pennsylvania Deutsch.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly. That’s kind of the point in the larger context of how we view race. 

We can see they are a distinct culture within a larger white race.  We are quick to be able to separate different elements of white culture and recognise Irish, Amish, polish isn’t the same thing. Black culture is reduced to “African” not the distinct cultures they come from and evolved from. It’s not homogenous 

It’s comparing a slur directed at everyone Vs a slur directed at a small group within a larger one. It would make no sense if I used an Irish slur to a German.  I can’t even use a white slur properly without at least a basic understanding of their culture. Saying the N word requires none of that. That makes it dehumanising 
    wow. excellent post. never thought of it that way. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com