Options

The "N" Word

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    Always thought it sarcastically sung in character as a small minded white male American. "One in a million" being what the character wants to be perceived as. But he's just another racist, small minded piece of shit from some small town. Axl being on the opposite side of that.

But seems from comments that it's sung from Axl's own perspective.... yikes...
    Having grown up in the neighboring town of Axl’s back in Indiana, it was pretty common for whites to feel comfortable around other whites to spout off racist jokes, tropes, putdowns, and bigoted crap. I would say this is more a sign of his comfort level with the usage at the time combined with maybe feeling tension or anxiety with being around a lot more black people than he was in Indiana. Thankfully they matured beyond that. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Not to slag off a Seattle person - but Duff saying that "nobody got it" sounds like history revisionism if you read Axls 1989 and 1992 comment about the song. 

Also, was it right to remove it or should it have been included on the Appetite deluxe box re-release? 
    I would chalk it up to "different perceptions/perspectives that have been clouded with time and much intoxicants". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    People clearly spoke and acted very differently  then. Thankfully  now  people don't  and whats  more call it out. 
    Old days were bad. New days better.  Future i know  my adult kids would not only not use these words they  would and do call it out when an elder person still uses words that no longer are wanted or acceptable. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Always thought it sarcastically sung in character as a small minded white male American. "One in a million" being what the character wants to be perceived as. But he's just another racist, small minded piece of shit from some small town. Axl being on the opposite side of that.

Having grown up in the neighboring town of Axl’s back in Indiana, it was pretty common for whites to feel comfortable around other whites to spout off racist jokes, tropes, putdowns, and bigoted crap. I would say this is more a sign of his comfort level with the usage at the time combined with maybe feeling tension or anxiety with being around a lot more black people than he was in Indiana. Thankfully they matured beyond that. 
    I believe that was everywhere back in the day.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited November 2022

Was this everywhere?

"Immigrants and faggots
    They make no sense to me
    They come to our country
    And think they'll do as they please
    Like start a weird cult
    Or spread some fucking disease
    And they talk so many goddamn ways
    It's all Greek to me"

No way that is Axls persepctive at the end of the 80s? Or is it? 

I can't wrap my head around the song. 

Is it some kind of "burning the world down" type of song, trying to portray being angry at everything - prejudice against everything (police, black people, immigrants, gays) means the prejudice in itself is nullified?

or is it a story about the Axl who arrived in LA, with everything from his upbringing in his backpack? As in, its a page from a diary from a young Axls perspective and he is the one in a million that "made it" and been enlightened and removed from that backwards Indiana-view?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HOW CAN WE SAVE AXL ROSE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    He is a dick and always has been
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

Was this everywhere?

"Immigrants and faggots
    They make no sense to me
    They come to our country
    And think they'll do as they please
    Like start a weird cult
    Or spread some fucking disease
    And they talk so many goddamn ways
    It's all Greek to me"

No way that is Axls persepctive at the end of the 80s? Or is it? 

I can't wrap my head around the song. 

Is it some kind of "burning the world down" type of song, trying to portray being angry at everything - prejudice against everything (police, black people, immigrants, gays) means the prejudice in itself is nullified?

or is it a story about the Axl who arrived in LA, with everything from his upbringing in his backpack? As in, its a page from a diary from a young Axls perspective and he is the one in a million that "made it" and been enlightened and removed from that backwards Indiana-view?
    One in a million as he made it, yes.

His description of LA is what anyone would see coming into the bus depot.  If you were used to living in a white suburban/farmland then it would be quite a culture shock.  The way he talks was pretty common for the most part.  N word was used but not as much and gays and minorities were easy targets back then with words.  It was a free for all.  Just watch the late 80's comedians that were big.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited November 2022
    Patti Smith... would you call this "cancelled"?  Where does it end?  Does anyone really thing Patti is a racist.  Fucks sake...

Patti Smith’s Song “Rock N Roll N****r” Removed from Streaming Platforms

Patti Smith’s song “Rock N Roll N****r” has been removed from streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and Amazon Music, as reported by Rolling Stone.

The song, which appears on the 1978 album from Smith, Easter, was co-written by Smith and guitarist Lenny Kaye. In the track, Smith uses the racial slur to talk about white artists, like herself, who are “outside of society.”

She sings: Outside of society, they’re waitin’ for me / Outside of society, that’s where I want to be.

Now, though, the song is no longer on prominent streaming platforms because, well, of its tone-deaf delivery.

In the song, Smith uses the slur to describe musical heroes of different races, from Jimi Hendrix to Jackson Pollack to Jesus Christ. In the song’s liner notes, she wrote, “N****r no invented for color it was MADE FOR THE PLAGUE. The word (art) must be redefined—all mutants and the new babies born sans eyebrow and tonsil…any man who extends beyond the classic form is a n****r.”

The song was controversial the moment it was released. And in 1978, the year it came into the world, Smith tried to justify her use of the word in an interview with Rolling Stone, saying, “Suffering don’t make you a n****r. I mean, I grew up poor, too. … Ya think Black people are better than white people or sumpthin’? I was raised with black people. It’s like, I can walk down the street and say to a kid, ‘Hey n****r.’ I don’t have any kind of super-respect or fear of that kind of stuff.” 

She’s seemingly been defending the song since its release.

It was a regular on her live show song lists for years, though she hasn’t performed it since 2019. Other artists like Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love have covered it. In 1994, Trent Reznor remixed the song and included it on the soundtrack for Natural Born Killers.

According to Rolling Stone, “The reason for the song’s disappearance is unclear.”

Though, not really.

And who gets axed next.  Sly Stone?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited November 2022
    Is the John Lennon-song removed also?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    The word has become a movement and bigger than just a word.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    white people just can't use it. no matter the context. that's the line. period. (not necessarily my opinion, I'm saying what society has seemingly decided)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    brianlux said:
    Patti Smith... would you call this "cancelled"?  Where does it end?  Does anyone really thing Patti is a racist.  Fucks sake...

Patti Smith’s Song “Rock N Roll N****r” Removed from Streaming Platforms

Patti Smith’s song “Rock N Roll N****r” has been removed from streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and Amazon Music, as reported by Rolling Stone.

The song, which appears on the 1978 album from Smith, Easter, was co-written by Smith and guitarist Lenny Kaye. In the track, Smith uses the racial slur to talk about white artists, like herself, who are “outside of society.”

She sings: Outside of society, they’re waitin’ for me / Outside of society, that’s where I want to be.

Now, though, the song is no longer on prominent streaming platforms because, well, of its tone-deaf delivery.

In the song, Smith uses the slur to describe musical heroes of different races, from Jimi Hendrix to Jackson Pollack to Jesus Christ. In the song’s liner notes, she wrote, “N****r no invented for color it was MADE FOR THE PLAGUE. The word (art) must be redefined—all mutants and the new babies born sans eyebrow and tonsil…any man who extends beyond the classic form is a n****r.”

The song was controversial the moment it was released. And in 1978, the year it came into the world, Smith tried to justify her use of the word in an interview with Rolling Stone, saying, “Suffering don’t make you a n****r. I mean, I grew up poor, too. … Ya think Black people are better than white people or sumpthin’? I was raised with black people. It’s like, I can walk down the street and say to a kid, ‘Hey n****r.’ I don’t have any kind of super-respect or fear of that kind of stuff.” 

She’s seemingly been defending the song since its release.

It was a regular on her live show song lists for years, though she hasn’t performed it since 2019. Other artists like Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love have covered it. In 1994, Trent Reznor remixed the song and included it on the soundtrack for Natural Born Killers.

According to Rolling Stone, “The reason for the song’s disappearance is unclear.”

Though, not really.

And who gets axed next.  Sly Stone?

Am curious how she feels now about the statement shown above to RS. 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    white people just can't use it. no matter the context. that's the line. period. (not necessarily my opinion, I'm saying what society has seemingly decided)
    Exactly.  It's it's own movement now.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Here in Indiana, there's still quite a few white people who think it's okay.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Nobody white would ever say it here in the u.k anywhere that  i know  of.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Malroth said:
    Here in Indiana, there's still quite a few white people who think it's okay.

They wear white at the bonfire so I get why they would.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited November 2022
    My pipe dream:  Racism and derogatory words become a thing of the past, words are just seen as words, people of all colors laugh about how in the past people were fools enough to judge someone based on the color of their skin and made up stupid verbal insults.
    Well, I can at least dream, can't I?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=At4A57ff3ho

Black folks are the funniest people on earth!  
    There’s no lying, just the truth.   
    And it’s best use of the N word I’ve ever heard! 
    A white person could never pull this off.  It’s not just a word, it’s a verb or term of endearment.  It’s part of their culture.  People need to get over “why can they say it and I can’t”.

apologies if video already posted 
  • Options
    Her name is Whitney Davis and she is hysterical!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
     L A P D by offspring

When cops are taking care of business I can understand
    But the L.A. story's gone way out of hand
    Their acts of aggression, they say they're justified
    But it seems an obsession has started from the inside
    They're shooting anyone who even tries to run
    They're shooting little kids with toy guns
    Take it to a jury but they don't give a damn
    Because the one who tells the truth is always the policeman
    Beat all the niggers
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    The city of L.A. feels like a prison
    With helicopters overhead and bullets whizzing by
    Martial law ain't no solution
    Police brutality's just social pollution
    Beat all the white trash
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    They say they're keeping the peace
    But I'm not buying it because a billy club ain't much of a pacifier
    "Protecting your freedom"
    Now that's just a lie
    It's an excuse for power that's more like an alibi
    Law and order doesn't really matter
    When you're the one getting bruised and battered
    You take it to a jury, they'll throw it in your face
    Because justice in L.A. comes in a can of mace

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Malroth said:
     L A P D by offspring

Beat all the niggers
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Beat all the white trash
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Now that's just a lie

I'm surprised a Molecular Biologist would actually use that word.  This was early 90's when shit like this would fly.  I remember House of Pain saying it, GNR.  I'm sure there are others.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited June 2023
    Malroth said:
     L A P D by offspring

Beat all the niggers
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Beat all the white trash
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Now that's just a lie

I'm surprised a Molecular Biologist would actually use that word.  This was early 90's when shit like this would fly.  I remember House of Pain saying it, GNR.  I'm sure there are others.
    EDIT - NSFW 

Yeah... the late '80s & early '90s were wild. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVs9AN76euQ 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Malroth said:
     L A P D by offspring

Beat all the niggers
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Beat all the white trash
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Now that's just a lie

EDIT - NSFW 

Oh man I forgot about this!  

This was a time when Ice-T was the shit.  He was owning the word.  Hell the song "straight up nigga" was a damn masterpiece.  That song holds weight today.  The things he said back then still ring today.

I appreciate Ice-T and what he did for music. That guitarist for Ice-T, Ernie Cunningham is a damn monster on the 6 too. Look him up.
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    Malroth said:
     L A P D by offspring

Beat all the niggers
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Beat all the white trash
    Beat whoever you see
    Don't need a reason
    (We're) L.A.P.D.
    Now that's just a lie

EDIT - NSFW 

Oh man I forgot about this!  

This was a time when Ice-T was the shit.  He was owning the word.  Hell the song "straight up nigga" was a damn masterpiece.  That song holds weight today.  The things he said back then still ring today.

I appreciate Ice-T and what he did for music. That guitarist for Ice-T, Ernie Cunningham is a damn monster on the 6 too. Look him up.
    Oh Perry…Hottest man in my Rock N Roll world.  Saw this Performance between Perry and Ice T at the first Lolla, Brilliant stuff!! ….so sad nothin as shocking as this could ever be performed live again.  
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248
    I don't mind it being used if you are quoting what someone said. you are simply stating what another person said. 

in movies and in art, it's fine, as long as it's not gratuitous. it has to have proper context and be telling a story, not just using it to use it. 

I homeschooled my kids, and part of our routine until they got to high school age was that I would read to them every day at lunch -- something related to what we were studying, perhaps one of Shakespeare's plays that we were going to see, or a work of literature from a period we were studying.

At one point, I decided to read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" to them. I, uh, had never read the book, myself. Yikes.

After skimming through it, I decided to read it to them anyway; they were old enough to understand the book, so they were old enough to have a conversation about the language. I prefaced things with a talk about the n-word and how it was *not* okay to use it. And then I read the whole novel aloud, cringing as I went. It's a brilliant book and a key work of American literature. And for what it's worth, the book and its language were controversial upon publication, not just today.

I grew up in an environment where ethnic slurs were tossed about freely (seriously, "n---" jokes were the highlight of family Christmas gatherings, and I can't and won't try to explain or justify that), yet, even though I'm *ahem* not young, I learned from a very early age not to use the n-word, ever. I also don't use the other words that I saw floating around in this thread. (I curse like a sailor, fwiw) The 80s might have been a long time ago, but decent people knew better than to use that language back then, too. And even though my kids tested my patience in countless ways, they never questioned the idea that that language just isn't used. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.