.mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.
    I'm not convinced "violence" is the right word...but I understand it.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    Can you name one perfect political system for a society, including the anarcho-communism, that’s perfect in practice?  ;)
    I'm going to research like a mo fo and on Monday have a full 84 minute lesson on the positive and negatives aspects of anarcho-communism.  My 6th graders are going to be pumped!!!
    *drool*
    Lots of drool on the desks after they fall asleep. 
    naptime in 6th grade?

damn these kids got it good.
    No way they stay awake during an 84 minute lesson on anarchic communism. God I just noticed my eyes closed as I was typing those words.  Holy boring. 

? 84 minutes in sixth grade? I’d be surprised they aren’t napping every lesson.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,575
    edited February 2020
    Pete would have freezed up and been all "I haven't rehearsed this. What do I do"

Biden is really good. A bit dishonest. But good.

Amy also going after Petes phoniness. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.  That's straight from the Federalist Papers and Montesquieu.    
    Good thing minorities had it so well in the 1780s. 
    You think you're clever but it comes off more like a lame joke. 
    Am I wrong?
    Yes considering the concept was about religious and voting minorities. 
    Your defense is “they weren’t trying to help those other people?” Interesting approach

No im applying historical perspective.  
    Poorly. 
    You clearly don't understand the concept. 
    No it’s P&L I don’t understand, remember?

You make historical judgments based on the concepts of the time,  not today's.  Slavery wasn't outlawed in any western country before the turn of the 19th century,  so it's improper to use that as a bar. 

I fear you're a one trick pony. 
    No I don’t. You might want to sit in on my class on Huck Finn sometime.                    
    You're not an historian
    I’m a helluva lot closer than you are. 
    Considering that concept is foreign to you,  I doubt that.  

But sure,  I guess you would argue that Washington DC should be renamed because the Fathers didn't bestow suffrage on women who identify as men.  Under your mindset,  they should be admonished.  For an historian,  that's silliness. 
    Actually I don’t get the reference to Ed’s guitar (send me over to be pilloried on the “real fan” threads on The Porch). I taught Zinn’s work years and years ago. I thought you might know Zinn which makes him a good choice for countering your absurd suggestion that historians don’t admonish.      

Buttigieg plays guitar?
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    .mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    Can you name one perfect political system for a society, including the anarcho-communism, that’s perfect in practice?  ;)
    I'm going to research like a mo fo and on Monday have a full 84 minute lesson on the positive and negatives aspects of anarcho-communism.  My 6th graders are going to be pumped!!!
    *drool*
    naptime in 6th grade?

No way they stay awake during an 84 minute lesson on anarchic communism. God I just noticed my eyes closed as I was typing those words.  Holy boring. 

Middle-schoolers don't nap when they're bored. They bounce from seat to seat. They pencil fight and thumb wrestle. They throw paper airplanes. They draw penises on the desks. That sort of thing. If only they would take a nap when they're bored . . . 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,401
    .mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    *drool*
    naptime in 6th grade?

Middle-schoolers don't nap when they're bored. They bounce from seat to seat. They pencil fight and thumb wrestle. They throw paper airplanes. They draw penises on the desks. That sort of thing. If only they would take a nap when they're bored . . . 
    naps or sleeping in class doesn't occur til HS.

you can trust me on this
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Amy/Pete 2020
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,183
    CM189191 said:
    Amy/Pete 2020
    I would be for that. 

Lots of the same in the debate. But I really thought Amy won this one. Pete was terrific. And while I don’t like him, Bernie was Bernie. Biden really just seems old and not sharp. I was surprised with how little Warren seemed to do, bad night for her. Steyer and yang were there too...I think. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    CM189191 said:
    Amy/Pete 2020
    I would be for that. 

Lots of the same in the debate. But I really thought Amy won this one. Pete was terrific. And while I don’t like him, Bernie was Bernie. Biden really just seems old and not sharp. I was surprised with how little Warren seemed to do, bad night for her. Steyer and yang were there too...I think. ;)
    Warren will do great in the cabinet position. Yang too.

Bernie and Biden can retire already.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,986
    edited February 2020
    Oh man, I'm feeling a bit gutted.   I'm such a huge Andrew Yang fan but the bottom line is, Trump needs to be defeated.  After tonight's debate, I have serious doubts Yang is there yet.  I hope he can regain his energy and hang in there. If I had to vote strictly on this debate (I watched every second closely), I would vote for Amy Klobuchar.  She was amazing.  But overall, I'm still a Yang guy.  I like his outside-of-the-box approach. 

But some time ago I had read something about her that led me to say about her run for president, "no way", right then and there.  My mind is cluttered with a lot of things goings on right now and the aging of my brain is not helping.  I'm hoping I can find that issue again to determine how important it is.  She probably failed me on some environmental issue and as I've said a thousand times, if the earth is not hospitable to human life, there will be no political or social issues, period.  So I must dig some more.  Everything hinges on environment.  But right now, it's very possibly Amy for me.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,934
    Pete/Amy 2020
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Pete would have freezed up and been all "I haven't rehearsed this. What do I do"

Biden is really good. A bit dishonest. But good.

Amy also going after Petes phoniness. 
    +1

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814

• Options
    ecdanc said:

Moderator: Question

Pete to himself: "How can I sound as inspirational as Obama, while not having anything to say"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Extra-in-the-background Warren trying to burn Bernie. Not feeling the Bern. 

Weird how invisible she and Yang is in the debate.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,052
    What a miserable week to be a Democrat.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Pete has never sounded as phony as when defending his billionaire cozying up.

Biden didn't stutter like this, from what I remember in 08? Did it come back with age, or is it stress this time around? He seems more stressful than when he laughed his way through the Paul Ryan VP debate.

Steyer sounds like a good dude, who is just up there to lift up the others and put down Trump. Why is he hyping up Sanders like he does? 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @mrussel1

A more complete version:

Steyer: We can't be the empire from Star Wars

Amy: He (Trump) blames the king of Denmark - WHO DOES THAT?! 

Made me laugh. Haha.

• Options
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,401
    still waiting to hear how his agenda gets passed to. sign into law.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    He answers this in the debate.

I happen to believe, you don't care about listening. You just want to bicker.

And as I saw someone write: "No one ever talks about the death toll of incremental change".
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like to think you have a program that just auto-posts this every Saturday morning. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

I thought the most cringe worthy moment was Biden and Bernie arguing over who has the most blacks. They do realize slavery is over?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,052
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like to think you have a program that just auto-posts this every Saturday morning. 
    lol.  I'm just watching cnn....such a crappy week.  Our party is in complete disarray.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Re: our conversation about QueersagainstPete, a facebook post from one of my queer friends (last night):

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lol.  I'm just watching cnn....such a crappy week.  Our party is in complete disarray.
    I'm gonna screenshot this and post it in "Things that Give me Hope" ;)
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    He answers this in the debate.

I happen to believe, you don't care about listening. You just want to bicker.

And as I saw someone write: "No one ever talks about the death toll of incremental change".
    He doesn’t really though. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

I thought the most cringe worthy moment was Biden and Bernie arguing over who has the most blacks. They do realize slavery is over?

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The republicans lamented the same thing in 2016.  What has changed since 2018 mid terms really though?  Are people depressed that Trump was acquitted?  That was a foregone conclusion.  The people make themselves heard every two years ( or every year in VA since we do state on odd year), and the GOP was smoked in 17, 18, and 19.  Forget daily news.  It means little.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    Re: our conversation about QueersagainstPete, a facebook post from one of my queer friends (last night):

He has a t-shirt for every slogan, and every position known to man hanging in that closet - and he is ready use it. Whatever it takes. To have the correct opinion to reach what he wants.

• Options
    ecdanc said:

He has a t-shirt for every slogan, and every position known to man hanging in that closet - and he is ready use it. Whatever it takes. To have the correct opinion to reach what he wants.

He reads The New Yorker?!? That's the last straw. 
This discussion has been closed.