ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.
    I'm not convinced "violence" is the right word...but I understand it.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.  That's straight from the Federalist Papers and Montesquieu.    
    Good thing minorities had it so well in the 1780s. 
    You think you're clever but it comes off more like a lame joke. 
    Am I wrong?
    Yes considering the concept was about religious and voting minorities. 
    Your defense is “they weren’t trying to help those other people?” Interesting approach

No im applying historical perspective.  
    Poorly. 
    You clearly don't understand the concept. 
    No it’s P&L I don’t understand, remember?

You make historical judgments based on the concepts of the time,  not today's.  Slavery wasn't outlawed in any western country before the turn of the 19th century,  so it's improper to use that as a bar. 

I fear you're a one trick pony. 
    @ecdanc - this is what I said.  
    You shifted from prescriptive to descriptive 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I frickin' LOVE the IGNORE feature! 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,401
    you and me both...... would prefer the block we used to have but .....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.  That's straight from the Federalist Papers and Montesquieu.    
    Am I wrong?
    Your defense is “they weren’t trying to help those other people?” Interesting approach

Poorly. 

You make historical judgments based on the concepts of the time,  not today's.  Slavery wasn't outlawed in any western country before the turn of the 19th century,  so it's improper to use that as a bar. 

Oh Christ.  Really? Now you agree with me?
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

And regardless, we’re really arguing about what one should do, which makes this bit an irrelevant tangent (on both our parts)
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

Oh Christ.  Really? Now you agree with me?
    I agree that you’re describing one way to view things. A shitty way.                        

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    you and me both...... would prefer the block we used to have but .....
    With ignore, you get just enough quoted material to understand the context, with a few really laughable moments thrown in between. My favorite was "voting is an act of violence."  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,575
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Bernie seeks to damage his opponent.  You simply don't do that if you want to win in the general. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    So anyone loving Pete but hating Bernie. Would Bernie have stood by this tshirt? @benjs ?

https://theintercept.com/2019/12/19/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-i-cant-breathe-shirts/

Pete is spineless, opportunistic trash with just the eye on the prize and will walk over anyone, and will flip-flop on anything to get it.

Agree with Bernie or not -- but he at least stands for something and believes in something.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Bernie seeks to damage his opponent.  You simply don't do that if you want to win in the general. 

Johnny seems to be handling it professionally,  calling him a prick.  Then there's this timely article. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/politics/bernie-sanders-social-media-attacks-invs/index.html
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,052
    mcgruff10 said:
    domestic news only or world events as well?

what sources do you use? just curious.
    Both. https://www.cnn.com/cnn10
    Just objective news, no bias.  
    My 7th graders love CNN10. It's one of the rare 10-minute stretches during the day that they're completely quiet and attentive. I show it during advisory in the morning and they react appropriately with good questions when they don't understand something. 
    Awesome!! What state do you teach in?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:

Get out of here with that Canadian communist propaganda.

Pinko.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Johnny seems to be handling it professionally,  calling him a prick.  Then there's this timely article. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/politics/bernie-sanders-social-media-attacks-invs/index.html
    Whataboutiisming to something about Bernie supporters? ...ok...

The stuff above comes from straight from Mayor "please visit peteforamericaorhwatever.com" Pete himself - does it not? 

So, do you simply do that if you want to win in the general @mrusell1?
  • Options
    The Swede talking politics 2 am local time. That dude has some serious dedication to Bernie.  I toast  my Tito s/club to you. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Swede talking politics 2 am local time. That dude has some serious dedication to Bernie.  I toast  my Tito s/club to you. 
    The movie GRÄNS just finished. You should show it to your students.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Im about to pour one of those myself,  while listening to some Coltrane on wax. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The stuff above comes from straight from Mayor "please visit peteforamericaorhwatever.com" Pete himself - does it not? 

I don't love that Pete is retaliating,  but that's what it is. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    The movie GRÄNS just finished. You should show it to your students.

I m way into an episode of octonauts at the moment.  Blues clues is on deck. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pinko.
    They were great
  • Options
    This sounds like exactly the person I described a few pages back, when @benjs and @mickeyrat questioned me.

I am fucking right on the money.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't love that Pete is retaliating,  but that's what it is. 
    There is a difference between saying that another candidate relies on billionaires - which Pete does (in wine cellers and other places) and lying about polls and using scare tactics like "dark money groups". 

You can admit that and still adore Biden. It is okey.
  • Options
    Spiritual can you find Tito s in Sweden?
  • Options
    This sounds like exactly the person I described a few pages back, when @benjs and @mickeyrat questioned me.

Wow. I didn't realize I could believe this Fox News analyst.  Now you're straight into the propaganda circle.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Wow. I didn't realize I could believe this Fox News analyst.  Now you're straight into the propaganda circle.  
    Fox News is very objective.  At least that is what my father in law tells me. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spiritual can you find Tito s in Sweden?

Tito looked for Johnny with a vengeance and a gun
    Johnny better run, better run
    Better hide your heart, better hold on tight
    Say your prayers, 'cause there's trouble tonight
    When pride and love battle with desire
    Better hide your heart, 'cause you're playing with fire

https://youtu.be/kA4G83J081U

Now my cat came. And I'm going to bed. Missing the debate. Hoping Amy and Andrew wins. xoxo.

• Options
    So anyone loving Pete but hating Bernie. Would Bernie have stood by this tshirt? @benjs ?

https://theintercept.com/2019/12/19/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-i-cant-breathe-shirts/

Pete is spineless, opportunistic trash with just the eye on the prize and will walk over anyone, and will flip-flop on anything to get it.

Agree with Bernie or not -- but he at least stands for something and believes in something.
    You like findings ways to defend and/or deflect Pete-stuff. 

You got nothing on this @mrussel1 ?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    domestic news only or world events as well?

what sources do you use? just curious.
    Both. https://www.cnn.com/cnn10
    Just objective news, no bias.  
    My 7th graders love CNN10. It's one of the rare 10-minute stretches during the day that they're completely quiet and attentive. I show it during advisory in the morning and they react appropriately with good questions when they don't understand something. 
    Awesome!! What state do you teach in?
    Virginia
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    dignin said:k
    mrussel1 said:

Pinko.

I put the entire forum on ignore. I come here for the quiet. 
  • Options
    dignin said:k
    mrussel1 said:

Pinko.

I put the entire forum on ignore. I come here for the quiet. 
    I heard Brooklyn is very quiet. 
This discussion has been closed.