mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.
    I'm not convinced "violence" is the right word...but I understand it.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    Can you name one perfect political system for a society, including the anarcho-communism, that’s perfect in practice?  ;)
    I'm going to research like a mo fo and on Monday have a full 84 minute lesson on the positive and negatives aspects of anarcho-communism.  My 6th graders are going to be pumped!!!
    *drool*
    Lots of drool on the desks after they fall asleep. 
    Tell them about Alexander Berkman trying to kill Henry Clay Frick. It’s a great story!
    Honestly,  how do you idolize that woman? 
    Which woman?
    Emma Goldman.  She was part of that plot. 
    Really? Did you learn that from my article on the topic? Jesus.          
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,847
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Oh please. There’s get shot and killed in school as a second grader violence that equals I got screwed on my taxes because Team Trump Treason got elected violence? Voting = violence, this country is really fucked.

That said, if everything works well, majority rule doesn't always hold form.  We didn't end slavery on a majority popular vote (it would have failed, particularly if the individual states had their own choice.  One high-profile example that the right thing can be done despite a likely majority being against it.  Admittedly it puts a lot of trust into people who have conflicts of interest between themselves and the public good.
    And therein lies the everlasting challenge of democracy, how do you have majority rule while protecting the rights of the minority?
    Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.  That's straight from the Federalist Papers and Montesquieu.    
    Good thing minorities had it so well in the 1780s. 
    You think you're clever but it comes off more like a lame joke. 
    Am I wrong?
    Yes considering the concept was about religious and voting minorities. 
    Your defense is “they weren’t trying to help those other people?” Interesting approach

No im applying historical perspective.  
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.  That's straight from the Federalist Papers and Montesquieu.    
    Am I wrong?
    Your defense is “they weren’t trying to help those other people?” Interesting approach

Poorly. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 
    You clearly don't understand the concept. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 
    No it’s P&L I don’t understand, remember?

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You make historical judgments based on the concepts of the time,  not today's.  Slavery wasn't outlawed in any western country before the turn of the 19th century,  so it's improper to use that as a bar. 

I fear you're a one trick pony. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You make historical judgments based on the concepts of the time,  not today's.  Slavery wasn't outlawed in any western country before the turn of the 19th century,  so it's improper to use that as a bar. 

No I don’t. You might want to sit in on my class on Huck Finn sometime.                    
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian
    I’m a helluva lot closer than you are. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian
    Considering that concept is foreign to you,  I doubt that.  

But sure,  I guess you would argue that Washington DC should be renamed because the Fathers didn't bestow suffrage on women who identify as men.  Under your mindset,  they should be admonished.  For an historian,  that's silliness. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

But sure,  I guess you would argue that Washington DC should be renamed because the Fathers didn't bestow suffrage on women who identify as men.  Under your mindset,  they should be admonished.  For an historian,  that's silliness. 
    I don’t think you know much about historians, so here’s one for you to check out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

I don’t think you know much about historians, so here’s one for you to check out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn

Everyone knows Zinn.  And I've seen Ed's guitar just like you.  Want me to send you Goldhagens publishing page randomly too?
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:
    domestic news only or world events as well?

what sources do you use? just curious.
    Both. https://www.cnn.com/cnn10
    Just objective news, no bias.  
    My 7th graders love CNN10. It's one of the rare 10-minute stretches during the day that they're completely quiet and attentive. I show it during advisory in the morning and they react appropriately with good questions when they don't understand something. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    Come on kat, a communist, a teacher and a financial guy walk into the Apollo theatre together.....
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

Actually I don’t get the reference to Ed’s guitar (send me over to be pilloried on the “real fan” threads on The Porch). I taught Zinn’s work years and years ago. I thought you might know Zinn which makes him a good choice for countering your absurd suggestion that historians don’t admonish.      

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    Can you name one perfect political system for a society, including the anarcho-communism, that’s perfect in practice?  ;)
    Do you mean to imply democracy is perfect in theory?
    No
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    So, no. 😎
    Do you mean to imply democracy is perfect in theory?
    No
    Ok
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Come on kat, a communist, a teacher and a financial guy walk into the Apollo theatre together.....
    And are served red wine in solo cups with ice...........
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Bernie's just jealous he got outhustled in Iowa by the young whippasnappa who needs to more patiently wait his turn and respect his elders.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Bernie's just jealous he got outhustled in Iowa by the young whippasnappa who needs to more patiently wait his turn and respect his elders.
    https://jacobinmag.com/2020/2/bernie-sanders-iowa-caucus-democratic-presidential-primary?fbclid=IwAR2WWWfanfTU9qFSOWIpoxQon8fU_iBtnBdnsRH1VHvuxwydZY5A3ACIR2k

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

Actually I don’t get the reference to Ed’s guitar (send me over to be pilloried on the “real fan” threads on The Porch). I taught Zinn’s work years and years ago. I thought you might know Zinn which makes him a good choice for countering your absurd suggestion that historians don’t admonish.      

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    https://jacobinmag.com/2020/2/bernie-sanders-iowa-caucus-democratic-presidential-primary?fbclid=IwAR2WWWfanfTU9qFSOWIpoxQon8fU_iBtnBdnsRH1VHvuxwydZY5A3ACIR2k

Conspiracies abound.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

Thanks. That’s pretty cool. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

Conspiracies abound.
    Indeed. Like the ones you expounded here earlier today.                                                    

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

I didn't say they don't,  I said historical perspective is passing judgments based on the societal norms and concepts of the time,  not today's.  That's why I brought up that example of criticizing the lack of suffrage for Trans being a ridiculous bar for the founding fathers. 

I read People's 25 years ago,  probably in 1101, as everyone does.  And he's a social professor (like Goldhagen) whereas I focused on political history.  And as I said to you much earlier,  specifically Age of Jackson. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,417
    from an article linked above.....

For example, in Ottumwa, Iowa, fourteen late-shift workers at a meat processing plant, most of them Ethiopian immigrants, showed up to a satellite caucus to support Bernie.

umm arent 15 required for viability according to Iowas rules?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

You're not an historian

I didn't say they don't,  I said historical perspective is passing judgments based on the societal norms and concepts of the time,  not today's.  That's why I brought up that example of criticizing the lack of suffrage for Trans being a ridiculous bar for the founding fathers. 

I read People's 25 years ago,  probably in 1101, as everyone does.  And he's a social professor (like Goldhagen) whereas I focused on political history.  And as I said to you much earlier,  specifically Age of Jackson. 
    No, that isn’t what you said. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    from an article linked above.....

For example, in Ottumwa, Iowa, fourteen late-shift workers at a meat processing plant, most of them Ethiopian immigrants, showed up to a satellite caucus to support Bernie.

umm arent 15 required for viability according to Iowas rules?

15%?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    OnWis97 said:

Can you?
    Yes. Is it perfect? No.
    Am I wrong?

Poorly. 

@ecdanc - this is what I said.  
This discussion has been closed.