The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,751
    OnWis97 said:
    There was a clear winner in Iowa: Donald Trump.  In a country that exists in his image, the opposition is so out of sorts, divided, and disorganized, I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins every state this November.
    What makes you think this? Because counting votes is taking longer? I’m just amazed at the media’s move here and those that seem to be following.
    new reporting system , ensuring accuracy of count.....delay in 16 too....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    pjl44 said:
    What happened in Iowa? In one sentence? Voting didn't work as planned?
    They developed a new reporting app that didn't work. Chaos ensues.
    Honestly I have no idea what the huge deal is. Reporting happened, some issues, they are looking back at the hard votes and data to ensure they get it right. Just cause you don’t get the info instantaneously doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Yeah probably. The campaigns were all pretty pissed, though, and it does make the DNC look silly. The test will be whether any of the candidates call the results into question. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    dignin said:
    This will be forgotten by next week.
    It might become part of trumps stump speech 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Honestly I have no idea what the huge deal is. Reporting happened, some issues, they are looking back at the hard votes and data to ensure they get it right. Just cause you don’t get the info instantaneously doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Yeah probably. The campaigns were all pretty pissed, though, and it does make the DNC look silly. The test will be whether any of the candidates call the results into question. 
    The campaigns are pissed because:

1) Biden wants to down play his big loss
    2) Pete and Amy missing chance to gain traction quickly

How come with all the talk about Trump not accepting election results, it always seems like it the Dems?  Even when a primary?  Sickening.  I think the country's only hope is to have Biden and Bernie have to drop out cause they are old farts.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

How come with all the talk about Trump not accepting election results, it always seems like it the Dems?  Even when a primary?  Sickening.  I think the country's only hope is to have Biden and Bernie have to drop out cause they are old farts.
    So you seem to be following this closely. Who do you anticipate the winner of the caucus being?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

So you seem to be following this closely. Who do you anticipate the winner of the caucus being?
    Honestly it'll be Bernie with slim shot at Pete.  Pete did very well, especially after non-viable candidates had to have voters move.  My guess is bernie wins but Pete and Amy beat expectations.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Honestly it'll be Bernie with slim shot at Pete.  Pete did very well, especially after non-viable candidates had to have voters move.  My guess is bernie wins but Pete and Amy beat expectations.
    Interesting. Surprising to see Biden do so poorly. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Here's the other problem. For all the hyperventilating about foreign interference and hacking from this very party, they rolled out digital reporting that doesn't seem to have been vetted appropriately. 

It just gets old...

"Oh my, things are taking longer than we thought"  "Let's run around and panic and say something fishy is going on"

Keep this in mind, how long did it take Pearl jam and Ticketmaster to tell people they got seats and tell them what seats?  And for how many tickets?  Sheesh, relax.
    hippiemom = goodness
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

The word is he may have done *very* poorly
  • OnWis97 said:
    There was a clear winner in Iowa: Donald Trump.  In a country that exists in his image, the opposition is so out of sorts, divided, and disorganized, I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins every state this November.
    Helping spreading this narrative helps donald trump
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pjl44 said:
    Here's the other problem. For all the hyperventilating about foreign interference and hacking from this very party, they rolled out digital reporting that doesn't seem to have been vetted appropriately. 

They have paper trail and photos of tallies...there is no issue with getting it right, just how fast.  It's all out in the open
    hippiemom = goodness
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

According to the slim sample I had...a few people at districts and then watching a bunch of others on TV...biden didnt have a lot of support in many areas.  Even in some areas that had an older caucus goer... We will see but I think the results will be very bad for him.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Well I hope he's still around when Pennsylvania (my state) comes up to vote. I'm not a registered democrat, but I feel most people I know that are would vote for him. I contend he's the only one with a shot a beating Trump. 

The fact that he may NOT be around for PA is why I hate this primary system. The candidate you may like may be long-vanquished before you get a chance to vote for him/her. In 2016, my friend who is a big Bush supporter, wanted to vote for Jeb. But Trump had long destroyed Jeb before it got to Pennsylvania. So my friend didn't even vote in the GOP primary because his guy was out, and he didn't like Trump.

I don't see why they just don't hold a national primary election on a single day. Or if that's too much to ask, why not do 10 states at a time? Like five separate Super Tuesdays or something? It's a disservice to the voters that their candidate (that they might have even contributed money to) might not even be around when it's their time to vote. 

And this is why I have no party affiliation. I don't even want to be a part of either party's shit-show. I'll show up for the general election, vote, and let the pieces fall where they may. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    pjl44 said:

They have paper trail and photos of tallies...there is no issue with getting it right, just how fast.  It's all out in the open
    To your point, there was no need for a custom-use app to deliver these results. Shit, they could have just used an existing messaging app if the old way wasn't good enough. Instead, this thing shits the bed and now everyone is looking under the hood at a sloppy process. A bunch of Hillary For America alums cooked up a way to dig into the party coffers with a redundant app and now everyone involved looks foolish.
    It just gets old...

"Oh my, things are taking longer than we thought"  "Let's run around and panic and say something fishy is going on"

Keep this in mind, how long did it take Pearl jam and Ticketmaster to tell people they got seats and tell them what seats?  And for how many tickets?  Sheesh, relax.
    24/7 media and now twitter play a big role too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

According to the slim sample I had...a few people at districts and then watching a bunch of others on TV...biden didnt have a lot of support in many areas.  Even in some areas that had an older caucus goer... We will see but I think the results will be very bad for him.  
    pete though! 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Well I hope he's still around when Pennsylvania (my state) comes up to vote. I'm not a registered democrat, but I feel most people I know that are would vote for him. I contend he's the only one with a shot a beating Trump. 

The fact that he may NOT be around for PA is why I hate this primary system. The candidate you may like may be long-vanquished before you get a chance to vote for him/her. In 2016, my friend who is a big Bush supporter, wanted to vote for Jeb. But Trump had long destroyed Jeb before it got to Pennsylvania. So my friend didn't even vote in the GOP primary because his guy was out, and he didn't like Trump.

I don't see why they just don't hold a national primary election on a single day. Or if that's too much to ask, why not do 10 states at a time? Like five separate Super Tuesdays or something? It's a disservice to the voters that their candidate (that they might have even contributed money to) might not even be around when it's their time to vote. 

And this is why I have no party affiliation. I don't even want to be a part of either party's shit-show. I'll show up for the general election, vote, and let the pieces fall where they may. 
    I am with you 100% on this. It should all be on one day. Or over a week but every state at the same time. We'll be dwelling on the results of 1 caucus and 1 primary for the better part of a month. Crazy. 
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

pete though! 

interesting. yeah its not the full count, but look at the differences between first and final counts.

And the campaigns want to rush......

mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

pete though! 

interesting. yeah its not the full count, but look at the differences between first and final counts.

They never should report first tally. Doesn’t mean a thing.

and Bernie releasing this makes me like him less. What an ass. 40%? Just let them count you old asshat.
    hippiemom = goodness
    This race needs to get down to Pete vs Warren/sanders vs Bloomberg fast ;) 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,351
    I don't want any combo of Pete,  Bloom,  Biden in the mix.  They just cannibalize each other.  I know that's not on the cards anytime soon. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't want any combo of Pete,  Bloom,  Biden in the mix.  They just cannibalize each other.  I know that's not on the cards anytime soon. 
    Bloomberg won’t last long if Pete gains traction from iowa. If he doesn’t, he fills the void. Cause Biden sucks and someone needs to defeat Bernie 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

pete though! 

and Bernie releasing this makes me like him less. What an ass. 40%? Just let them count you old asshat.

You must be young
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

pete though! 

You must be young
    Ummm nope. Just ain’t almost 80.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,623
    edited February 2020
    I don't think the Iowa caucus mess has anything to do with the screw ups.  I think it has to do more more with where America is at as A WHOLE:  poorly educated.  That's why we need Yang.  He wants to Make America Think Harder.  We need to do that because we do not do things well any more.  If we keep being stupid by electing  the likes of Trump (please, never again!) or putting our hopes in old guys like Biden or angry old men like Sanders (nothing wrong with being old, but we have some vibrant younger candidates!) , we will continue to find ourselves going deep and deeper down the mire.  This country is a mess and a disgrace.  We have been better and we can be better again. 

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• KatKat Posts: 4,832
    edited February 2020
    Closed for review. It appears some have forgotten the #1 rule about name-calling. Calling other members names is never ok. I hope no one loses posting privileges. This will be reopened after review.

Ok, it's ready to be reopened for new discussion. It's very busy with the new album and touring this year and so please be careful that your political passions don't make a problem with not following the Posting Guidelines. There are strong ways to say things without being abusive. Rise above...way above. Thank you.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,085
    edited February 2020

Why name a company "shadow" unless it is the evil company for some 1980s Paul Verhoeven sci-fi thriller?
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.