The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,349
    Btw.... no way on the bet.  Pete has organized well in Iowa
  • Im going off now to work a bit and play with my cat (like Joe plays with the hair of women in hair-playing distance).

See you later. My Bernie bros.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    brianlux said:
    Anyone want to make a bet on this iowa caucus? Brian maybe? 

I bet $20 Pete finishes higher than yang. Loser donates $20 to the other candidates campaign.

I like the idea but, sorry,  I'm tapped out.  We hit our giving budget hard hard hard to support Yang before Iowa and I sent the last of my "allowance" to Yang last night.
    No worries Brian. If yang beats Pete I may still send him $20 ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Im going off now to work a bit and play with my cat (like Joe plays with the hair of women in hair-playing distance).

Temp ban, eh. See YOU later!
    ;)
  • hedonist said:
    Im going off now to work a bit and play with my cat (like Joe plays with the hair of women in hair-playing distance).

;)
    Am I?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    mrussel1 said:
    Btw.... no way on the bet.  Pete has organized well in Iowa

Yang and Pete are my two faves. I'd love to see them over perform and Bernie Liz underperform

I read that Yang appeared in about 70 rural areas the last 17 days, looking to win as many precincts as possible. Interesting strategy.
  • When will results from Iowa come in?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

;)
    Am I?
    Dunno. You’re behind bars on my phone. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,085
    edited February 2020
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

;)
    Am I?
    Dunno. You’re behind bars on my phone. 

Have no idea why I would be.

As long as I can get in contact with my ticket buddys for the summer. But seems I can. And respond to you.

Maybe it's a glitch.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    You re behind bars:

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,085
    edited February 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    You re behind bars:

A few weeks ago I got banned for like a 10 minutes window and then unbanned without a reason given.

And today I got this:

Which is, math-wise a tad illogical. So something is acting up with my account. Got a PM from Sea about "trolling"  but nothing about being banned. Who knows.  Maybe I am a guinea pig for new features.

But anyways -- Just give me the Iowa results.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • This was news to me:

Yes, there is an Iowa caucus in Paris

On Monday, February 3, voters in Paris will be able to participate in the Iowa caucuses, too.And they won’t be the only ones caucusing outside the state. For the first time, Iowans in three satellite locations around the world, including Paris; Tbilisi, Georgia; and Glasgow, Scotland, will have the chance to hold their own caucuses. In 12 states across the country as well as Washington, DC, voters will be caucusing remotely as well.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/3/21083813/iowa-satellite-caucuses-paris-tbilisi-glasgow

I really don't like the caucus.  It favors a class of people and not connected at all with how we vote.  I wish they would scrap it.

mrussel1 said:
    I really don't like the caucus.  It favors a class of people and not connected at all with how we vote.  I wish they would scrap it.

Slightly off topic, Why do Iowans and New Hampshirites get 8 months of undivided attention from the candidates and the rest of the country not? 
    mrussel1 said:

Slightly off topic, Why do Iowans and New Hampshirites get 8 months of undivided attention from the candidates and the rest of the country not? 
    That too.  What is it..8 electoral votes?  I don't even know but it's all silliness. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That too.  What is it..8 electoral votes?  I don't even know but it's all silliness. 
    I've never understood the interest in Iowa. I think Iowa has only picked the president 1 time on the Dem side since I've paid attention (since the 80's). They do a mostly decent job of picking who may end up the Dem nominee, but rarely does the winner in Iowa on the Dem side become president. Other than a little momentum going into NH, I don't understand why Iowa is interesting at all (except of course to Iowans). Bill Clinton didn't need Iowa. Hillary got Iowa. A small, insignificant state garners lots of attention for reasons unknown aside from being first.  If I controlled the party I'd make an important state (# of EC votes, total population) the first party caucus or primary, and get that field narrowed down in a hurry.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    http://www.iowapbs.org/iowapathways/artifact/history-iowa-caucus
    Reminds me of a riddle a student shared with me this morning:  If you're in a race, and you pass the person in second place, what place are you in?
    It makes no difference to me that Iowa is first. Someone has to be. As soon as a different state is picked, people in the other 49 will complain that state doesn't represent America either.
    For those scoring at home,  here's how it stands.  Looks to be a tight one. 

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    mrussel1 said:

Hmmmmmmmm. Deceptively edited out Yang at 100%....
    Fake news
    It’s awesome having friends at the caucus and getting some reporting 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,623
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

LOL, Yang for the win!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

LOL, Yang for the win!
    Yang ain’t doing well. And apparently at the place a friend is at they won’t go to another candidate. So dumb. Bernie-esque douchebagery
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

LOL, Yang for the win!
    Yang ain’t doing well. And apparently at the place a friend is at they won’t go to another candidate. So dumb. Bernie-esque douchebagery
    Who else isn’t viable at the location?  
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I've never understood the interest in Iowa. I think Iowa has only picked the president 1 time on the Dem side since I've paid attention (since the 80's). They do a mostly decent job of picking who may end up the Dem nominee, but rarely does the winner in Iowa on the Dem side become president. Other than a little momentum going into NH, I don't understand why Iowa is interesting at all (except of course to Iowans). Bill Clinton didn't need Iowa. Hillary got Iowa. A small, insignificant state garners lots of attention for reasons unknown aside from being first.  If I controlled the party I'd make an important state (# of EC votes, total population) the first party caucus or primary, and get that field narrowed down in a hurry.

I interpret that as it’s difficult to unseat an incumbent president. Usually the party with caucuses or primaries is the one challenging the president, like this year. But I recent history, 
    http://www.iowapbs.org/iowapathways/artifact/history-iowa-caucus
    Reminds me of a riddle a student shared with me this morning:  If you're in a race, and you pass the person in second place, what place are you in?
    It makes no difference to me that Iowa is first. Someone has to be. As soon as a different state is picked, people in the other 49 will complain that state doesn't represent America either.

But it is the same someone every four years. Why do Iowans get to have so much attention from the candidates? Is it in the constitution?

why do they get to meet the candidates? I never met a candidate. Why do they get to have a coffee with the candidates? I never had a cup of coffee with the candidates. The candidates run into my state for about five minutes, while they are campaigning in many other states at the same time.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

LOL, Yang for the win!
    I can empathize with "Yang or bust"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,623
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

LOL, Yang for the win!

Part of the problem is, Americans are slow to change and have a hard time seeing outside the box.  I've probably related this story before, but in the first hour of the first day of my first college level Education class the first thing the Prof in that class said to us was, "I'm sure many of you are sitting there thinking about how great it will be when you graduate and you go on to receive your teaching credential but I need to tell you, education in America is an institution and institutions in America are very slow to change," and he really emphasized those last four words.

Yang has been hoping to do well in Iowa but has sounded more confident about New Hampshire.  I'm still hoping.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,750
    Chadwick would have a helluva post about this delay...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.