• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    How does one make a billion dollars honestly?
    I can get just about anything delivered to my door, sometimes within a couple hours. And I can stream a couple movies while I wait. Bezos can buy an island for all I care.
    And his warehouse workers can go fuck themselves, eh? 
    You put zero value in the idea and the work that went into starting the factory.  If one received zero for such things, what's the point of having an idea, and how do humans advance?  Again, you can look at Soviet era technological advancements compared to the US.  We don't need theories when we have results. 
    It seems weird for a professor to minimize intellectual property/effort. Isn’t that what teaching is? I for one think that has value.
    That would be weird. Let me know if you see a professor doing that. 
    I just did.
    Don’t be dopey. I said capital =/= work. Never said anything about intellectual labor. 

Don’t be all name calley, I ain’t in your class you can’t tell me that your assumptions are truth and I’ll fail if I go against those assumptions.
    I’m not challenging any assumptions; just your reading ability, I this case. 
    His reading ability is fine and his question exposes the gap in a 19th century book applied to a 21st century economy.  The lines between proletariat and bourgeoisie have blurred. You continue to be cagey on the topic but that's simply because good answers don't exist.  
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I can get just about anything delivered to my door, sometimes within a couple hours. And I can stream a couple movies while I wait. Bezos can buy an island for all I care.
    You put zero value in the idea and the work that went into starting the factory.  If one received zero for such things, what's the point of having an idea, and how do humans advance?  Again, you can look at Soviet era technological advancements compared to the US.  We don't need theories when we have results. 
    It seems weird for a professor to minimize intellectual property/effort. Isn’t that what teaching is? I for one think that has value.
    I just did.
    Don’t be dopey. I said capital =/= work. Never said anything about intellectual labor. 

Don’t be all name calley, I ain’t in your class you can’t tell me that your assumptions are truth and I’ll fail if I go against those assumptions.
    His reading ability is fine and his question exposes the gap in a 19th century book applied to a 21st century economy.  The lines between proletariat and bourgeoisie have blurred. You continue to be cagey on the topic but that's simply because good answers don't exist.  
    I literally don’t know what the fuck y’all are talking about. Please point me to the post where I said anything about intellectual labor. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

I literally don’t know what the fuck y’all are talking about. Please point me to the post where I said anything about intellectual labor. 
    Oh wait, so even though intellectual property is considered a tangible asset legally (you know, like capital), you call it "labor"?  Ha!  That's rich.  
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Oh wait, so even though intellectual property is considered a tangible asset legally (you know, like capital), you call it "labor"?  Ha!  That's rich.  
    Oh, your capitalist laws say something! Zing?
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Um no, common law, passed on through the centuries of western legal precedent.  Do you commies have your own legal system too?
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Um no, common law, passed on through the centuries of western legal precedent.  Do you commies have your own legal system too?
    Not yet. But we do look at your “western” legal tradition as a buncha bullshit. 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
    @mcgruff10 this is when you make a Gulag joke...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Image result for gualag joke
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,747
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The whole Iowa thing is just odd to me.  It's really just a perception thing.  Super Tuesday just seems so much more important.  
    I don't know why every state doesn't hold their primary/caucus on the same day. Or why this winds up being an almost 2 year process. Want to get money out of politics? Start by drastically slimming down the unnecessary pageantry. 
    huge money in travel, lodging, food for the hoarde , fuel taxes for the busses and other vehicles for those early states. they will fight tooth and nail for status quo.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Are you guys working on your legal theories? You should hurry because communist implementation is going swimmingly thus far. 
    And whenever you want to debate communist legal system vs English common law,  let's get it on.  That will be even more c comical than this debate. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like this one. 
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Are you guys working on your legal theories? You should hurry because communist implementation is going swimmingly thus far. 
    Given that we're having this conversation on a thread largely predicated on unseating the president we all think is doing some really fucked up shit, I'm not sure you can talk. Glass houses and all. 
    mrussel1 said:
    And whenever you want to debate communist legal system vs English common law,  let's get it on.  That will be even more c comical than this debate. 
    Oh, are these areas in which you had some college classes too?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    mcgruff10 said:

Gulog.  That's a kind of stew that makes you Hungary, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope,  but I do have a creditors rights background but that's different.  So if you want to have that conversation,  I'm game.  Obviously you're really smart, and I'm stupid so it should be easy for you.
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Given that we're having this conversation on a thread largely predicated on unseating the president we all think is doing some really fucked up shit, I'm not sure you can talk. Glass houses and all. 
    There's easier ways to say "uncle".
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Donald Trump is your uncle?!? So much makes sense now. 
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Just say no to goulash... say yes to varenkyk (pierogies)!
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope,  but I do have a creditors rights background but that's different.  So if you want to have that conversation,  I'm game.  Obviously you're really smart, and I'm stupid so it should be easy for you.
    But you’re like the CEO of google or something. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

I think your intellectual tank is empty on this topic. 
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

You’re probably right. And I’m drunk. What’s the topic?

ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Drinking stoli? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Is that the same as a piroshki?  There used to be a Russina bakery on Clement St. in S.F. that made piroshkis that were OH SO GOOD!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I just did.

Drinking stoli? 
    Smirnoff, but good call!!! 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:

They don't need to do that- they get plenty fucked already by low wages and poor working conditions.  And they and most of us pay all the taxes while Bezos pays none and buys his islands! 
    But Brian, I seem to recall you being against a minimum wage of $15 per hour because your business couldn't support it.  These workers are above that number.  

I'm like a Republican that way- I'm only against something except for when I'm not.  LOL  Let me explain:

I am the sole employee of my small part-time book and vinyl business which nets me less than minimum wage but I enjoy it and, because I have no pension or any other form of retirement income except social security, it helps.  So what I'm saying here will relate to the bookstore business my wife and her business partner own and for which I help out part-time at a little over minimum wage:

I am in favor of a living wage for workers who rely on their work related income.  In other words- a working person who relies on their paycheck to support themselves and/or a family, that person should earn at least a minimum wage in order to do so.  But many small businesses- my wife's is a good example- rely on part-time help to stay afloat.  The bookstore has had a number of employees who work their either to supplement their income post retirement (people who only get social security and need a little extra to get by) or students who want a little extra income before they go off into the world of full-time work.  I think there should be an exception to minimum wage for businesses that hire part-time help for those folks.  Some small businesses- used bookstores are an excellent example- run on a thin margin.  Some years it gets really close to the wire trying to stay afloat.  If the minimum wage right now were $15 for all employees- we would have to let someone go- not so that we could live the Bezos life- but so that we could keep the business going.  And that store is a big asset to our community.  I cannot tell you how many times I've head customers say, "I hope you never close, that would be terrible."  I'm sure there are other small businesses like that.  I can think of several used bookstores and record stores that have gone out of business due to high cost of running a small business that I sorely miss.  To name a few:

Chimeras Book, Palo Alto
    Wessex Used Books, Menlo Park
    Sunset Books, San Francisco
    The Beat (record and CD store in Sacramento)
    Cody's Books, Berkeley
    The Book Worm, Folsom
    Kepler's Books (actually still in business but only due to a very large donation)

This is one of those ideas that sounds reasonable on the surface but doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because it opens up the whole idea of employers being able to make a value judgement on who really "needs" to make minimum wage and who doesn't. It goes against the tenets of equal pay for work of equal value, and erodes workers' rights. I personally know one teenager who is the sole financial support for his whole family (parents and four siblings), while also attending high school part time, and two other teenagers who are essentially emancipated from their parents and work to support themselves and their own apartments. If there was a law in place allowing employers to not pay them minimum wage just because they are students, they would not be surviving. There are many, many other people in their positions, just trying to get by on an inadequate wage. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Is that the same as a piroshki?  There used to be a Russina bakery on Clement St. in S.F. that made piroshkis that were OH SO GOOD!
    Probably.  Little pasta pockets with filling.  Usually potato,  cheese,  etc. You saute with onions.  Mostly served with sour cream,  but I like it with pepper only. Every Slavic country has some version. Staple of the Polish diet. 
This discussion has been closed.