The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rogan doesn't hate the left. that's laughable. he also isn't fucking transphobe. that's also just a talking point for outrage seekers. 
    Buying into birtherism shows a lack of judgment though.  
    that's the first i heard of that. that's admittedly a little concerning. 
    Wait, you’re cool with his anti-trans bullshit, but you draw the line at birtherism?
    he's not anti-trans. i've listened to him talk a lot about it, and he has no issue with people being trans. he has issues with trans women competing against cis women in sports, which i agree with. imagine if brock lesnar was a trans woman. you think that's a level playing field?
    That’s anti-trans, champ. 
    no it isn't champ, it's common sense biology. 
    Really doubling down on your own transphobia. Bold move. 

Struggling with your view here, so let me make sure I'm not just uninformed.  If Usain Bolt started taking hormone replacement therapy to transition to a woman, he (today) should be able to compete against cis women, and that's an equal playing field?
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rogan doesn't hate the left. that's laughable. he also isn't fucking transphobe. that's also just a talking point for outrage seekers. 
    Wait, you’re cool with his anti-trans bullshit, but you draw the line at birtherism?
    he's not anti-trans. i've listened to him talk a lot about it, and he has no issue with people being trans. he has issues with trans women competing against cis women in sports, which i agree with. imagine if brock lesnar was a trans woman. you think that's a level playing field?

yeah, i was literally at a fundraiser for trans manitoba, listening to speakers, singers, etc, LAST NIGHT. sure, pal, you pegged me. LOL
    How many of them did you talk to about your views on trans athletes?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

You obviously don't know where HFD is coming from.  Why are you bating like this?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

You obviously don't know where HFD is coming from.  Why are you bating like this?
    I don’t care where he’s coming from. I care that he’s spouting anti-trans nonsense. That’s not baiting. I consider his views extremely harmful. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    edited January 2020
    I 100% agree with Hugh and there is no way that view is anti trans. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

Struggling with your view here, so let me make sure I'm not just uninformed.  If Usain Bolt started taking hormone replacement therapy to transition to a woman, he (today) should be able to compete against cis women, and that's an equal playing field?
    i asked the same thing using brock lesnar as an example. crickets. this whole all encompassing "you need to let (x group of people) do what they want or you are anti-(that group)!". it's nonsense. 

moving on.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mcgruff10 said:
    Sorry, man, I’ll defer to the experts over internet Hugh. 
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

i asked the same thing using brock lesnar as an example. crickets. this whole all encompassing "you need to let (x group of people) do what they want or you are anti-(that group)!". it's nonsense. 

moving on.
    Trans women are women. Period. What’s left to discuss?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    so by your logic champ, being protrans in this instance makes you anti-women
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don’t care where he’s coming from. I care that he’s spouting anti-trans nonsense. That’s not baiting. I consider his views extremely harmful. 
    how is it harmful to cite science? maybe instead of a women's division and men's division in sports, we create a more all-inclusive based on physical attributes or other types of criteria instead of just penis or vagina?

www.headstonesband.com

mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    so by your logic champ, being protrans in this instance makes you anti-women
    Nope. Not unless you’re a TERF. But fuck them. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

moving on.
    Trans women are women. Period. What’s left to discuss?
    So yes, Brock Lesnar should be let into the ring, Usain Bolt on the track.  Just by starting therapy.  Seems to be a very uneven playing field for competition.  And in the fighting example, very dangerous for a cis woman.  Do you care more about the feelings of a trans woman than the health of a cis one?  I have a hard time squaring all of this. We're talking about sports, not marriage, civil rights, etc.  It's a more complex argument.  
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sorry, man, I’ll defer to the experts over internet Hugh. 
    https://jme.bmj.com/content/45/6/395

and i will defer to the science over internet ecdanc

www.headstonesband.com

ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

how is it harmful to cite science? maybe instead of a women's division and men's division in sports, we create a more all-inclusive based on physical attributes or other types of criteria instead of just penis or vagina?
    Did you come up with this idea before you started worrying about trans athletes? And why are we trusting science here? 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

Did you come up with this idea before you started worrying about trans athletes? And why are we trusting science here? 
    Because we try to be enlightened and science has been the way since the middle ages.  What do you trust?  Your gut?  Trump the anti-science guy?  Is that a real counterargument?
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

got it from the short article i posted. but of course you have no interest in reading it. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    thread integrity, start a trans thread or find one if its been created already.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    "why are we trusting science" is the only question you need to know about someone's thought processes and why they should be discounted and ignored. 

back to bernie..........

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

Because we try to be enlightened and science has been the way since the middle ages.  What do you trust?  Your gut?  Trump the anti-science guy?  Is that a real counterargument?
    You might want to have a look at the history of how science has treated race, sex, gender, and sexuality before wholeheartedly embracing science's approach to areas in which social prejudice is widespread. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

yeah, i was literally at a fundraiser for trans manitoba, listening to speakers, singers, etc, LAST NIGHT. sure, pal, you pegged me. LOL
    none. why would i? i was there to listen to them. 

www.headstonesband.com

ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

got it from the short article i posted. but of course you have no interest in reading it. 
    Article is behind a paywall (maybe you have access; I do not), but I read a fair amount of that take when having a very similar discussion on Deadspin a few months back. I think that stance is misguided and privileges the "integrity" of sports--a common theme running through it, Joe Rogan, and many of those Deadspin commenters--over treating trans women/men as trans women/men. 
    "why are we trusting science" is the only question you need to know about someone's thought processes and why they should be discounted and ignored. 

back to bernie..........
    You would have been a real hoot with 19th century race science!! 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

none. why would i? i was there to listen to them. 
    What did they have to say about trans athletes?
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:

back to bernie..........
    I mean, seriously, what the fuck kind of a stance is this? There are areas in which science can be useful (for instance, climate change) and others when it is downright horrific. Trying to cut through the snark a bit, but man, when it comes to questions of identity, equality, and human rights, science does NOT have a good track record. 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

You might want to have a look at the history of how science has treated race, sex, gender, and sexuality before wholeheartedly embracing science's approach to areas in which social prejudice is widespread. 
    Yeah, compared to religion and other 'reasoning' as well?  I have a pretty good grasp on history, thanks.  I don't get my medical advice from the barber though.  Join the anti-vax movement if you wish.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    Remember that Sanders loves and accept everyone - except for assholes and tax-fleeling-billionaires. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Remember that Sanders loves and accept everyone - except for assholes and tax-fleeling-billionaires. 
    But he's okay with tax fleeing millionaires like himself?  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    But he's okay with tax fleeing millionaires like himself?  
    I will allow that you quote me. Not feeling a bit annoyed.

What do you mean with him being a tax fleeing millionaire ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, compared to religion and other 'reasoning' as well?  I have a pretty good grasp on history, thanks.  I don't get my medical advice from the barber though.  Join the anti-vax movement if you wish.  
    Oh FFS. Yes, compared to other forms of reasoning. We had abolitionists coexisting with racist science. We had 2nd-wave feminists talking about sexist science. Science is not now, nor has it ever been, the only way to look at things, and in many cases, brave people bucked the scientific "fact" of their era to do good things. Fetishizing science like you do isn't quite as ridiculous as rejecting all science, but it's not great. You know, there's a middle ground: you can actually evaluate science as it interacts with other areas. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh FFS. Yes, compared to other forms of reasoning. We had abolitionists coexisting with racist science. We had 2nd-wave feminists talking about sexist science. Science is not now, nor has it ever been, the only way to look at things, and in many cases, brave people bucked the scientific "fact" of their era to do good things. Fetishizing science like you do isn't quite as ridiculous as rejecting all science, but it's not great. You know, there's a middle ground: you can actually evaluate science as it interacts with other areas. 
    What way to you recommend looking at this, if not science?  We are talking specifically about competitive athletics, not civil right, marriage, employment, etc.  
This discussion has been closed.