The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    the ”other women will be hurt” is a really weird argument to fall back on. 
    Trans women compete in MMA. That’s a man fighting a woman. That’s dangerous and they can get hurt. 
    Not it isn't, and that statement appears bigoted. 
    this is funny watching the back peddling. 
    Seriously, for just one moment, take my abrasive personality out of the equation: do you really want to align yourself with what Ledbetterman said? You claim to support trans rights, but you take up his side here?
    i don't take 'sides'. i align myself with common sense. the terms he used were ignorant at worst, not even close to bigoted. there is a major difference there. you simply can't expect everyone to accept and change their verbiage overnight. it just doesn't work that way, and screaming at someone who doesn't know does more harm to any given cause than good. 
    He directly referred to a trans woman as a man. That is not verbiage; that is a statement about what a trans woman IS. I hope you really are an ally in the real world, but you aren't showing it here. 
    one of my more favourite quotes of the last few years: "just because you're outraged, doesn't make you right". 
    I'm not sure what your point is: are you claiming he didn't refer to a trans woman as a man? Or that him doing so is ok?
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said: 
    ecdanc said:
    Trans women compete in MMA. That’s a man fighting a woman. That’s dangerous and they can get hurt. 
    Not it isn't, you bigot. 
    You're officially over the line
    I'm sure I'm over the line according to the moderators, but what Ledbetterman said is far more offensive than me calling him a bigot. 
    If a transwoman and a woman who was born a woman were walking down the street, I’d say that’s two women walking down the street. I have no issue at all with social norm of a transwoman being a woman. At all. Caitlyn Jenner is a woman. 

But in a FIGHT, it’s different  The physical make up of a man and a woman is different. And a man that transitions to being a woman still has that physical make up in bone density, etc. 
    If you ever find yourself saying "I believe a trans woman is a woman except in this case/instance/moment..." then you don't accept her as a woman. 
    Well then that does it. I guess I’m transphobic. God dammit. 
    See... you're scared of people and didn't even know it.  Learn something new everyday 
    It's typical in these type of arguments. I can't be for mostly for LGBTQ rights, but be against the specific instance of transwomen competing against women in sports. That'd be straying from the herd. 
    Many people draw similar distinctions (I'm pro-X except in this case); many people also grossly overestimate how pro-X they are. There's a lot of overlap in that Venn Diagram. 
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Seriously, for just one moment, take my abrasive personality out of the equation: do you really want to align yourself with what Ledbetterman said? You claim to support trans rights, but you take up his side here?
    i don't take 'sides'. i align myself with common sense. the terms he used were ignorant at worst, not even close to bigoted. there is a major difference there. you simply can't expect everyone to accept and change their verbiage overnight. it just doesn't work that way, and screaming at someone who doesn't know does more harm to any given cause than good. 
    He directly referred to a trans woman as a man. That is not verbiage; that is a statement about what a trans woman IS. I hope you really are an ally in the real world, but you aren't showing it here. 
    one of my more favourite quotes of the last few years: "just because you're outraged, doesn't make you right". 
    I'm not sure what your point is: are you claiming he didn't refer to a trans woman as a man? Or that him doing so is ok?
    You're arguing semantics. I've made it quite clear I'm arguing that from a physical standpoint, a transwoman has the physical makeup of a man. And while that is not relevant in another aspect of her life, it is if she's competing in spors against women.

But I know your type. So keeping arguinig with Hugh that I'm a bigot, or flag my post, or tag the moderator or whatever. Cancel away.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    You're arguing semantics. I've made it quite clear I'm arguing that from a physical standpoint, a transwoman has the physical makeup of a man. And while that is not relevant in another aspect of her life, it is if she's competing in spors against women.

But I know your type. So keeping arguinig with Hugh that I'm a bigot, or flag my post, or tag the moderator or whatever. Cancel away.
    You can call it "semantics" if you want; I'm simply reading what you said. Your efforts to justify that statement merely sink further into a morass of offensive statements. If a trans woman is a woman, then her body is a woman's body. She, by definition, has the "physical makeup" of a woman. Short women have women's bodies; tall women have women's bodies; trans women have women's bodies. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Must say I'm a little saddened by this turn in this thread. 
    You turned it this way. And video isn’t insulting to trans people. It’s a good satire of the insanity of men who transition to women competing against regular women in athletic competitions. 

"Men who transition to women competing against regular women." We have a winner for the thread's most anti-trans statement! 
    I was waiting for that response. Like clockwork, I knew you’d have a problem with “regular” there. Sorry I don’t know the woke term for a female that’s born female and stays female. So I went with regular. 

A transwoman should complete in sports with the men. Her physical dynamics are that if a man’s, and she could hurt the “regular” women. (What’s the gender term you want there that won’t offend you?)
    You remind me of my uncle: "well, when I was growing up we just called them [n-words]; how am I supposed to keep up with what they want to be called?" 
    Typical. Even when I try to ask what term I can use instead of “regular” so that I can better myself and not be a bigot towards the LGBTQ community, I’m likened to a racist uncle. Oh well, I tried. 
    No, you didn't try. You're on the fucking internet. Look it up yourself before you say something offensive. You did not ask what term to use; you mocked the fact that there is a "woke" term. And in the process, you further diminished trans women by suggesting they are not "born female." Don't now try to play like you really care about the words you should use. 
    Give it a fucking rest.   

In a few hours 135 unread? Like wth happened here. Did someone stumble into this topic with an extra MSG ticket?
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    You turned it this way. And video isn’t insulting to trans people. It’s a good satire of the insanity of men who transition to women competing against regular women in athletic competitions. 

"Men who transition to women competing against regular women." We have a winner for the thread's most anti-trans statement! 
    I was waiting for that response. Like clockwork, I knew you’d have a problem with “regular” there. Sorry I don’t know the woke term for a female that’s born female and stays female. So I went with regular. 

A transwoman should complete in sports with the men. Her physical dynamics are that if a man’s, and she could hurt the “regular” women. (What’s the gender term you want there that won’t offend you?)
    You remind me of my uncle: "well, when I was growing up we just called them [n-words]; how am I supposed to keep up with what they want to be called?" 
    Typical. Even when I try to ask what term I can use instead of “regular” so that I can better myself and not be a bigot towards the LGBTQ community, I’m likened to a racist uncle. Oh well, I tried. 
    No, you didn't try. You're on the fucking internet. Look it up yourself before you say something offensive. You did not ask what term to use; you mocked the fact that there is a "woke" term. And in the process, you further diminished trans women by suggesting they are not "born female." Don't now try to play like you really care about the words you should use. 
    Give it a fucking rest.   

In a few hours 135 unread? Like wth happened here. Did someone stumble into this topic with an extra MSG ticket?
    I'm putting it on Stubhub just for you!
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You can call it "semantics" if you want; I'm simply reading what you said. Your efforts to justify that statement merely sink further into a morass of offensive statements. If a trans woman is a woman, then her body is a woman's body. She, by definition, has the "physical makeup" of a woman. Short women have women's bodies; tall women have women's bodies; trans women have women's bodies. 
    Well I disagree but I've already explained why so I won't go on and on. You just keep fighting the good fight against us bigots. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    Everything in life can’t be completely ”fair” and a society that is made for and to include a huge amount of individuals can’t and doesn’t have to in every detail serve or fit specifically you. 
    I think. Cis Woman should be able to compete in a sports environment against those who havent spent a lifetime being fueled by biological male levels of testosterone as that hormone is used differently by the respective biological human.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Do you try to get what @Ledbetterman10 is arguing? Outside of the language used.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Do you try to get what @Ledbetterman10 is arguing? Outside of the language used.
    Yes, I absolutely get what he is trying to argue. I think his premises are so flawed that I'm ignoring his conclusion. Put differently, he's building what I consider to be an offensive position by relying on other things that I consider to be offensive.  
    edited January 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    Everything in life can’t be completely ”fair” and a society that is made for and to include a huge amount of individuals can’t and doesn’t have to in every detail serve or fit specifically you. 
    I think. Cis Woman should be able to compete in a sports environment against those who havent spent a lifetime being fueled by biological male levels of testosterone as that hormone is used differently by the respective biological human.....
    I contend that such a position is irreconcilable with a full recognition of transgender equality. 

EDIT: I'd add that the position you're espousing is aligned closely with TERFs, with whom I strongly disagree. 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Give it a fucking rest.   

I'm putting it on Stubhub just for you!
    You da best!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You were kind of giving me the same pushback too, though....

Maybe your number one concern in that sport then should be that everyone should wear helmets?

because cis men can get very hurt by cis men too. 

But I take it you're feeling now that my premise is fine, but you don't like wording?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Maybe your number one concern in that sport then should be that everyone should wear helmets?

But I take it you're feeling now that my premise is fine, but you don't like wording?
    On the pushback -- I think you could have used "transwoman" instead of "man" in the context. Out of some kind of respect. And this came after a discussion you were just involved with about the topic. If I am not mistaken. But I also understand what you are arguing. And I also understand that you can't be 100% correct all the time and always be living up to the standard of "absolutely perfect and absolutely up to date".

The second thing. I just find the argument of "safety risks" being odd -- when it is about competition. And then shouldn't the argument start and stop with - the playing field is too different for it to be fair.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Well I disagree but I've already explained why so I won't go on and on. You just keep fighting the good fight against us bigots. 
    I'm happy to let this drop, but I do encourage you to keep thinking about these issues. You operate with a very binary sense of what (physically) is a man and a woman. As we continue to progress, you may find that stance alienates more and more people. Have a good day. 
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

On the pushback -- I think you could have used "transwoman" instead of "man" in the context. Out of some kind of respect. But I also understand what you are saying. And I also understand that you can't be 100% correct all the time and living up to the standard of "absolutely perfect and absolutely up to date".

The second thing. I just find the argument of "safety risks" being odd -- when it is about competition. And then shouldn't the argument start and stop with - the playing field is to different for it to be fair.
    Well again, I said my peace on transwomen competing in combat sport competitions against ciswomen (see, I looked it up) so it'd be pointless to repeat myself. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Give it a fucking rest.   

You missed the edited post where I was told "go fuck yourself" and Ledbetter was called a bigot.  So yeah, shit went pretty side wise on a topic that could have been interesting.  

On the pushback -- I think you could have used "transwoman" instead of "man" in the context. Out of some kind of respect. And this came after a discussion you were just involved with about the topic. If I am not mistaken. But I also understand what you are arguing. And I also understand that you can't be 100% correct all the time and always be living up to the standard of "absolutely perfect and absolutely up to date".

The second thing. I just find the argument of "safety risks" being odd -- when it is about competition. And then shouldn't the argument start and stop with - the playing field is too different for it to be fair.
    Yes, it could and should be.  But that wasn't working so the point I was making, and others I believe, is that there are certain sports where the physical nature is such that it actually could present a safety risk to a cis woman.  Certainly boxing, MMA, and even hockey.  Imagine if PK Suppan or Zdeno Chara decided they were going to play women's hockey and started replacement therapy.  It would be a serious health risk at world class competition, far higher than the inherent risk to the game.  

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Give it a fucking rest.   

You missed the edited post where I was told "go fuck yourself" and Ledbetter was called a bigot.  So yeah, shit went pretty side wise on a topic that could have been interesting.  
    I removed those and apologized. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm happy to let this drop, but I do encourage you to keep thinking about these issues. You operate with a very binary sense of what (physically) is a man and a woman. As we continue to progress, you may find that stance alienates more and more people. Have a good day. 
    You operate with a very narrowminded and scientifically ignorant sense of what (physically) is a man and a woman. Read up if you want...https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jos/2011/702735/

Have a good day!
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You operate with a very narrowminded and scientifically ignorant sense of what (physically) is a man and a woman. Read up if you want...https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jos/2011/702735/

Have a good day!
    I’m not a scientist, so could you please summarize this article in laymen’s terms, then explain how it supports your claims. 

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,617
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Somebody please remind me what this thread is about!  :lol:

Say, how about that Andrew Yang qualifying for the February debate.  Sweet!
    Bernie Sanders's acceptance of the Joe Rogan nomination seems on topic--many leftists are talking about how problematic him accepting that endorsement is (Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor had an especially insightful Twitter thread about it recently)--it's problematic precisely because of his racism and anti-trans statements--ergo, we're on topic! 

No, you got into an argument over whether or no Rogan is this or that.  That is not on topic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So... anyone excited about Yang?

:smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    So... anyone excited about Yang?

:smiley:
    Im open to hearing more.  I think the monthly"freedom dividend" is a terrible idea though.  Maybe that was just to get people to notice. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Give it a fucking rest.   

I removed those and apologized. 

I’ll take the heat for that . I’ve been pricing a hypothetical Quebec trip and blowing smoke on porch. I’ve been bitching about the lack of nyc shows, and I’m likely going to Balt. I’m a spoiled brat. My fault.

hey how about the lack of klobuchar discussions?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Was it birther-Rogan who said it?
    i don't think so. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Smart, energetic, sensible, articulate, willing to listen, diplomatic- I love this guy.  The movement is building!

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    because you think you get to decide what level of 'ally' i am. you don't. just like you don't get to keep labeling people simply because they don't support your view 100%. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.