The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder if they had those same reservations about Barack Obama in 2008. I mean, POTUS was basically his first real job, and while not perfect, he was more than competent at his position. A good reporter would have followed up with this.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Andrew Yang is very soothing to listen too

https://youtu.be/ieNZqtSoS3A
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder if they had those same reservations about Barack Obama in 2008. I mean, POTUS was basically his first real job, and while not perfect, he was more than competent at his position. A good reporter would have followed up with this.
    I m gonna say no. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Andrew Yang is very soothing to listen too

Yes!  I like Yang a lot.  I would love to see him get in there and make some good things happen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Andrew Yang is very soothing to listen too

Yes!  I like Yang a lot.  I would love to see him get in there and make some good things happen.
    https://youtu.be/WuRPGt6xk2o
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    Just can’t be president cause she’s a woman. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    My SO, a liberal voter, firmly believes that America will not elect a woman president as the country currently exists.

She staunchly thinks it is impossible. Is she as bad as Bernie?
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited January 2020
    My SO, a liberal voter, firmly believes that America will not elect a woman president as the country currently exists.

I've had a best friend say the same thing -- one of the first to break into the software engineering field in the 80s, and look at how little progress we've made there. It's really a bummer. More women need to run, every time, so people get used to seeing them on the stage.

I've had a best friend say the same thing -- one of the first to break into the software engineering field in the 80s, and look at how little progress we've made there. It's really a bummer. More women need to run, every time, so people get used to seeing them on the stage.

I’m more worried about the attitude of voters in certain regions of the country than the quality of the candidates And not sure if they are persuadable. I think Amy would be an excellent President.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,145

I don't get that, though. Clinton came really close and won the popular vote. It's only a matter of time. 
    pjl44 said:

I don't get that, though. Clinton came really close and won the popular vote. It's only a matter of time. 

She’s pretty firm about her opinion. 
     I have hope we see that happen one day, or even Mayor Pete winning one day.

The electoral college is giving more and more power to the rural states as the population increases around the cities. I’m thinking the popular vote might be living with dinosaurs soon. 

Actually, we already did once, by vote count anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

pjl44 said:

For sure!

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,082
    edited January 2020
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    brianlux said:

And had she been a male with all else equal, I wonder if she would have won.

I think we’ll get a female president soon; Ivanka.  Even if that’s not the case, I think the first female president is going to be a Republican.  America doesn’t like (perceived) liberal women...they might even be accused of being “feminists.”
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

I think we’ll get a female president soon; Ivanka.  Even if that’s not the case, I think the first female president is going to be a Republican.  America doesn’t like (perceived) liberal women...they might even be accused of being “feminists.”
    Nikki Styx is being groomed. Might even replace Pence on the ticket.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Why not go with Sixx!

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Why not go with Sixx!

no, cuz he and his bandmates are proven fucking liars......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,082
    edited January 2020
    Some more

mrussel1 said:

hyperbole and sarcasm.  

Bernie lays it out:

https://youtu.be/GxyXrezEfL0
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Yes he's right.  SS needs means testing and recalibration.  It's a social benefit that will break us at its current pace. Im 100% with him. 
    edited January 2020
    Social security as constructed is unsustainable.  And for the record,  I'm probably to the right of Biden on Ss
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    You trust a campaign that lies about people's record and lies about what he said to Warren?  Shame on you.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2020/jan/09/bernie-sanders/did-biden-laud-paul-ryan-proposal-cut-social-secur/
    You hear about Trump's cash advantage,  but that's against individuals,  not the total field. Once we have a nominee,  Trump will be swamped in the media.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/17/trump-2020-election-democratic-opponents-raise-more-money-than-him.html
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    Damn good thing some posters on this site cant vote here.....

soundbites and memes do not make an informed voter.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Why not go with Sixx!

Sadly, that's what a certain current president does. 
    mickeyrat said:

To bad a large percentage of American voters will vote based on soundbites, memes, mainstream "news", and whatever it is they have been brainwashed into believing without doing any research or suing critical thinking on their own.  I mean, how else could we have ended up with Trump?  It a sad state of affairs. 

• brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Why not go with Sixx!

mickeyrat said:

To bad a large percentage of American voters will vote based on soundbites, memes, mainstream "news", and whatever it is they have been brainwashed into believing without doing any research or suing critical thinking on their own.  I mean, how else could we have ended up with Trump?  It a sad state of affairs. 
    Well said, Brian. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

Why not go with Sixx!

mickeyrat said:

Well said, Brian. 

It's more than a bit frustrating, isn't it?

That brings up the question of what to do about it- how to not only get more people out to vote, but how to get them to vote in a more informed manner.  Better education and parenting come to mind, but education in the U.S. seems to be a low priority and better parenting cannot be made mandatory.  I don't know how or if things will get better that way.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    what is up with Bloomberg? seems to spending a lot of money but is he gaining any traction? 
This discussion has been closed.