The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Dems continue to eat each other.  

Can we just give trump his 4 more years and move on?

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.
    the moderators bear responsibility in this situation.  Asking bad questions.. "Why do you think you're qualified to be commander in chief?" Yawn.  Did my 11 year old write that?  The NPR debate was good because they asked better questions.  

Wow- that's pretty sad!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.
    I don't think it is, but geez...maybe I need to tone down my scrolling through Twitter, but given how thin the margin can be in swing states, I feel like angry supporters of primary losers are going to stay home (except for those that vote Trump out of spite). The question is, can the party unite behind the eventual winner like it did for the most part (minus a few Hillary supporters) behind Obama?  I envision high-fives among Bernie supports in 2016 when Trump won...and I'm concerned they'll be doing it again this fall.

Am I reading this right?  Are you saying you think Bernie supporters were glad Trump won?  I doubt it!

Yes, I hope the party unites under one dem and show up to vote.  Anyone who stays home on election day should____________. (Fill in the blank!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

I don't think it is, but geez...maybe I need to tone down my scrolling through Twitter, but given how thin the margin can be in swing states, I feel like angry supporters of primary losers are going to stay home (except for those that vote Trump out of spite). The question is, can the party unite behind the eventual winner like it did for the most part (minus a few Hillary supporters) behind Obama?  I envision high-fives among Bernie supports in 2016 when Trump won...and I'm concerned they'll be doing it again this fall.

Am I reading this right?  Are you saying you think Bernie supporters were glad Trump won?  I doubt it!

Yes, I hope the party unites under one dem and show up to vote.  Anyone who stays home on election day should____________. (Fill in the blank!)
    Sleep well?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

Then he brought the death penalty back like it was a The Eagles reunion like the true mensch he is. Good for him he didn't bring that up to lure some Trump voters over.

(Sanders disputing the 30 years thing was a bit cringey. But it seems like he didn't pick up on her saying "30 years" so whatevz. He should have just said "when did I lose an election?" and bring the pressure back on her to have her facts straight) 
    Yeah good point.  Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act.  But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  
    Warren's artificial box of 30 years was stupid, arbitrary and designed to drop a zinger.  Someone should have said "yeah, but Liz, you're the only one here that was a Republican in the last 30 years".  
    Man that would have been such a great comeback. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

Then he brought the death penalty back like it was a The Eagles reunion like the true mensch he is. Good for him he didn't bring that up to lure some Trump voters over.

(Sanders disputing the 30 years thing was a bit cringey. But it seems like he didn't pick up on her saying "30 years" so whatevz. He should have just said "when did I lose an election?" and bring the pressure back on her to have her facts straight) 
    Yeah good point.  Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act.  But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  
    Warren's artificial box of 30 years was stupid, arbitrary and designed to drop a zinger.  Someone should have said "yeah, but Liz, you're the only one here that was a Republican in the last 30 years".  
    to which she could have responded, well bernie, you're only a Democrat when running for president.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

to which she could have responded, well bernie, you're only a Democrat when running for president.....
    And that would have been a good response if Bernie had called her out. I don't know what she'd say to the rest of them though. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Holy crap... this is getting worse not better.  CNN has the audio.   

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/478519-warren-to-sanders-i-think-you-called-me-a-liar-on-national-tv
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/478519-warren-to-sanders-i-think-you-called-me-a-liar-on-national-tv
    haha. snl is going to have a field day with this one. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:

It seems like Bernie is on the defensive. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    mrussel1 said:

Sanders did call her a liar. But since he apparently doesn’t respect women it’s not a surprise. Dude has the same populist message as trump just in the far left side. Bernie wasn’t to be a dictator just as bad as trump. I hope warren kicks his ass down a set of stairs 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,145
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It seems like Bernie is on the defensive. 
    If he's telling the truth, this does not help his case
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,082
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Sanders did call her a liar. But since he apparently doesn’t respect women it’s not a surprise. Dude has the same populist message as trump just in the far left side. Bernie wasn’t to be a dictator just as bad as trump. I hope warren kicks his ass down a set of stairs 
    Just because Trump is a big (yuge) embarrassing piece of shit stain on your side, doesn't mean you have to reach all you can to fabricate an equivalence on the less shitty side.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

It was petty. Not every Sanders flaw needs to be sugar-coated, just like not every non-Sanders flaw needs to be embellished. 
    I don't think "petty" is the right word to use here. But I do agree with the rest.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act. But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  
    Funny you choose to use the word "compromises" regarding it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-touted-crime-bill-1992-death-penalty-jaywalking-senate-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

Sleep well?

Once in a bluuuuuuuuue moon.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Any chance we can get Jordan as the nominee? Barkley?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I’m giving serious consideration to Bloomberg. I’m hoping he will be in next debate, I haven’t seen the qualifications yet. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    mrussel1 said:

I don’t think he wants to be a dictator.  I think an understanding and appreciation for what the country is built on (ie, not for the president to be a dictator) is a key difference.  That said, there is some Trump in him...some “us against the world” crap.  Populist?  Yeah; he’s getting there.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    mrussel1 said:

Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act. But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-touted-crime-bill-1992-death-penalty-jaywalking-senate-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

You don't understand the point of the speech nor the rampant criminality of the times.  The speech was designed to peel off some conservative Republicans that didn't believe the bill was tough enough.  Clearly it was hyperbole and sarcasm.  We've already talked about the racist CBC and African-American community leaders that fully supported this bill.  In fact, we've had this discussion at length months ago, when the 'progressives' were taking their shot at Biden.  That failed.
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You don't understand the point of the speech nor the rampant criminality of the times.  The speech was designed to peel off some conservative Republicans that didn't believe the bill was tough enough.  Clearly it was hyperbole and sarcasm.  We've already talked about the racist CBC and African-American community leaders that fully supported this bill.  In fact, we've had this discussion at length months ago, when the 'progressives' were taking their shot at Biden.  That failed.
    I don't know. I've never voted for and rooted for a Death Penalty-touter. Didn't happen when I voted in 2018. Pretty sure I won't be a "Death-Penalty-touter"-touter in 2022 either.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:

Just because Trump is a big (yuge) embarrassing piece of shit stain on your side, doesn't mean you have to reach all you can to fabricate an equivalence on the less shitty side.
    "Your side" ... "less shitty side"

I'm confused as to what sides you are talking about.  You do know you can vote for candidates of every party when you vote, you do not have to do straight party tickets?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1 said:

I'm confused as to what sides you are talking about.  You do know you can vote for candidates of every party when you vote, you do not have to do straight party tickets?
    Sure
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Since swedish politics dont affect us, who gives a shit?
    Am I allowed to respond to this @Kat or will I get banned?
    Why not just ignore. No need to involve any mods, I'm sure they have better things to do.
    There's some passive aggressive shit going down around here...
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    mrussel1 said:
    Well, it is the democrats thread.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited January 2020
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Well, it is the democrats thread.
    Yeah I couldn't tell if he was talking about discussion here when he said that, or if he was talking about Sanders and Warren. Maybe both.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have my bet in.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have my bet in.
    lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.