The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• I believe it is at 8PM CST. Or approximately 3 hours from now. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Amy/Pete 2020
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,142
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    pjl44 said:
    She was already on record with the release that she is claiming he said that her.  I think the moderator wanted to get Sanders on record before asking Warren what she thought about it.  We already knew Warren says it happened.  I don't see anything wrong with it, tbh. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Sounds to me like somebody is lying.  I'd like to know who.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    poor moderation.

should have asked what was said after prefacing with its been reported......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    poor moderation.

My analog TV converter reception nixed any chance of watching.  Anything that stands out from this debate besides the Warren/Sanders spat?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    poor moderation.

My analog TV converter reception nixed any chance of watching.  Anything that stands out from this debate besides the Warren/Sanders spat?
    dunno. have to ask soneone who watched. or have network news feed your their narrative....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    She was already on record with the release that she is claiming he said that her.  I think the moderator wanted to get Sanders on record before asking Warren what she thought about it.  We already knew Warren says it happened.  I don't see anything wrong with it, tbh. 
    Are you really "honest" saying that?

It's a crummy way to word the question. Completely disregarding the answer to the question to Sanders that he gave. It reads like a SNL sketch.

Why even ask Sanders? If his answer isn't even gonna affect and instead be disregarded for the follow up questions?

I'd say it's even a crummy and shitty question to ask. When it is not known if it was said or not, asking her about how she feels about this thing that is not known to have existed is BS.

It is one thing to ask "But Elisabeth Warren, you have stated that he did say it? And what do you believe would be the reason to?" or whatever.

But asking "this thing we do not know happened but I will ask like it in fact happened - how did this thing make you feel?"

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I don’t agree with Bernie on much, but i believe he is a sexist that doesn’t think a women can be POTUS about as much as I would believe Sanders being accused of using campaign funds to build an American Ninja training complex in his backyard. 

Bonkers that this is the top story of the debate. 
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

It's a crummy way to word the question. Completely disregarding the answer to the question to Sanders that he gave. It reads like a SNL sketch.

Why even ask Sanders? If his answer isn't even gonna affect and instead be disregarded for the follow up questions?

I'd say it's even a crummy and shitty question to ask. When it is not known if it was said or not, asking her about how she feels about this thing that is not known to have existed is BS.

It is one thing to ask "But Elisabeth Warren, you have stated that he did say it? And what do you believe would be the reason to?" or whatever.

But asking "this thing we do not know happened but I will ask like it in fact happened - how did this thing make you feel?"

Am I being honest, I think so.   Why would I lie about it?  Im not saying it was an excellent construction of the question,  but  Warren is on record already.  Bernie's belief or non non belief is the issue,  not the moderator question. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Dems continue to eat each other.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Jason P said:
    I don’t agree with Bernie on much, but i believe he is a sexist that doesn’t think a women can be POTUS about as much as I would believe Sanders being accused of using campaign funds to build an American Ninja training complex in his backyard. 

I think the debate was lame, leaving this the only thing of note to drive some clicks.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Am I being honest, I think so.   Why would I lie about it?  Im not saying it was an excellent construction of the question,  but  Warren is on record already.  Bernie's belief or non non belief is the issue,  not the moderator question. 
    As long as it is up in the air if it a "belief or non on belief", the moderator should not frame it as being a fact it is a belief and ask Warren how she felt about this thing we do not if it being a belief or not a belief.

It was a junk question, in how it was worded.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    right, but the election isn't for 10 months

sit down yang, you were the one that was supposed to be good at math
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    OnWis97 said:

Can we just give trump his 4 more years and move on?
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    1. One of those people is flat out lying and only one of them was asked directly about it on a nationally televised debate

2. This exchange:
    CNN: “Sen. Sanders, I do want to be clear here, you’re saying that you never told senator Warren that a woman could not win the election?"
    SANDERS: "That is correct."
    CNN: “Sen. Warren, what did you think when senator Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?"

I am by no means a Sanders supporter, but come on.
    Jason P said:

I watched the first 90 minutes and there was nothing else noteworthy.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    1. One of those people is flat out lying and only one of them was asked directly about it on a nationally televised debate

2. This exchange:
    CNN: “Sen. Sanders, I do want to be clear here, you’re saying that you never told senator Warren that a woman could not win the election?"
    CNN: “Sen. Warren, what did you think when senator Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?"

I'm saying Warren already released a statement saying it happened, so we knew where she stood.  Again, I don't think it's a great question by any means, but the Sanders people have done a good job of turning the question into the problem rather than the alleged statement.  And you're right, someone is lying I suppose.  I have no idea who.  I don't care for either, and frankly I should be rooting for more of this as it's good for the moderates.  But I don't like the candidates eating each other either.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    Jason P said:

if he did say it, that doesn't necessarily make him sexist. it means he has an opinion on who he believes the american people will be ready to elect as president. now, if he had allegedly said "no woman should run for president", that would be different. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

2. This exchange:

I'm saying Warren already released a statement saying it happened, so we knew where she stood.  
    Bernie also stated his truth, and we know where he stands. So maybe the question to him would have been "What do you think about Elisabeth Warren lying to you like this man? Does it hurt?"
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

2. This exchange:

I'm saying Warren already released a statement saying it happened, so we knew where she stood.  
    Bernie also stated his truth, and we know where he stands. So maybe the question to him would have been "What do you think about Elisabeth Warren lying to you like this man? Does it hurt?"
    haha, that would be funny actually.  I wish there would be more humor in these debates.  I would love if Dave Chappelle got to moderate one.  That would be a riot.  Or maybe Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    OnWis97 said:
    why do you keep harping on this, like there's any other way for this to go down? that's how a primary works. republicans did the same in 2016. don't tell me you don't remember how trump personally insulted and made up lies and nicknames about every one of his opponents? like you expect them to huddle in a room, decide among themselves "ok, you have a better chance at beating him, I'll drop out, you go for it!". Every alpha player on a team wants the ball as they think they are the best chance at scoring. if you aren't in it to win it, then you shouldn't be there. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

2. This exchange:

haha, that would be funny actually.  I wish there would be more humor in these debates.  I would love if Dave Chappelle got to moderate one.  That would be a riot.  Or maybe Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
    That would be fantastic. Humor aside, I'd really like to see more cross-partisan moderation. Chris Wallace hosting a Democrat primary debate or Chris Hayes hosting a Republican primary debate. Or Jake Tapper moderating any debate.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    I tried to watch. Feel asleep eventually. The Warren / Sanders stuff was cringe worthy. Especially about the 30 years. 

Pete seemed pretty solid in what I watched. Amy seemed terrific in what I watched. Joe seemed barely there. Warren seemed ok. Bernie seemed senile. And who’s the rich guy again that got way too much time? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I tried to watch. Feel asleep eventually. The Warren / Sanders stuff was cringe worthy. Especially about the 30 years. 

Pete seemed pretty solid in what I watched. Amy seemed terrific in what I watched. Joe seemed barely there. Warren seemed ok. Bernie seemed senile. And who’s the rich guy again that got way too much time? ;)
    Lol. Like him or don't like him. But this doesn't ring true. Maybe you are mixing him up him with Joe?
    OnWis97 said:

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.

brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.
    the moderators bear responsibility in this situation.  Asking bad questions.. "Why do you think you're qualified to be commander in chief?" Yawn.  Did my 11 year old write that?  The NPR debate was good because they asked better questions.  
This discussion has been closed.