The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Dems continue to eat each other.  

Can we just give trump his 4 more years and move on?

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.
    I don't think it is, but geez...maybe I need to tone down my scrolling through Twitter, but given how thin the margin can be in swing states, I feel like angry supporters of primary losers are going to stay home (except for those that vote Trump out of spite). The question is, can the party unite behind the eventual winner like it did for the most part (minus a few Hillary supporters) behind Obama?  I envision high-fives among Bernie supports in 2016 when Trump won...and I'm concerned they'll be doing it again this fall.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

That does seem to be what the Dems are aiming for.    From what I've heard so far, I'm glad my TV reception was such that I couldn't watch it.  I probably wold have cringed through the whole thing.   It's depressing as hell to watch this shit come down.
    I don't think it is, but geez...maybe I need to tone down my scrolling through Twitter, but given how thin the margin can be in swing states, I feel like angry supporters of primary losers are going to stay home (except for those that vote Trump out of spite). The question is, can the party unite behind the eventual winner like it did for the most part (minus a few Hillary supporters) behind Obama?  I envision high-fives among Bernie supports in 2016 when Trump won...and I'm concerned they'll be doing it again this fall.
    Twitter definitely leads you astray.  Remember all the talking points about how left the party was at the beginning of the campaigns, and twitter was the source for all that consternation. But when the polling came out, the cumulative moderate vote is 10 points higher than the cumulative progressive vote.  And that's if you consider Steyer a progressive.  I don't know that I do or not.  But either way, it still looks like a moderate party to me.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

Twitter definitely leads you astray.  Remember all the talking points about how left the party was at the beginning of the campaigns, and twitter was the source for all that consternation. But when the polling came out, the cumulative moderate vote is 10 points higher than the cumulative progressive vote.  And that's if you consider Steyer a progressive.  I don't know that I do or not.  But either way, it still looks like a moderate party to me.  
    I think it is a moderate party overall, though there are some people that want to take far-right-Trumpism and counter it with being far-left (strategically bad, imo).

The question is how unified it can be.  It doesn't take too much spite to swing a couple of purple states.  I hope that come about May, we're all pretty certain about who the nominee is going to be and then the dedicated candidate-followers can have ample time to see it as Trump vs. X and be reminded of what's at stake.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

I think it is a moderate party overall, though there are some people that want to take far-right-Trumpism and counter it with being far-left (strategically bad, imo).

The question is how unified it can be.  It doesn't take too much spite to swing a couple of purple states.  I hope that come about May, we're all pretty certain about who the nominee is going to be and then the dedicated candidate-followers can have ample time to see it as Trump vs. X and be reminded of what's at stake.
    Yes, agreed.  People who are unwilling to compromise typically don't stand to actually lose anything if Trump gets re-elected.  Sure they'll wring their hands for the immigrants, the gay community, the poor that are losing their food stamps.  But will the Bernie Bros lives actually change very much?  Will those middle and upper middle class white people be in a materially different spot in 4 years?  Probably not.  
    And I say this as a middle aged white guy who doesn't stand to lose anything if Trump is re-elected.  I probably gain personally, but he's still a POS.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,142
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

Yes, agreed.  People who are unwilling to compromise typically don't stand to actually lose anything if Trump gets re-elected.  Sure they'll wring their hands for the immigrants, the gay community, the poor that are losing their food stamps.  But will the Bernie Bros lives actually change very much?  Will those middle and upper middle class white people be in a materially different spot in 4 years?  Probably not.  
    I can't believe I'm making another Bernie defense, but I think the Bernie Bros thing (especially as distinctly as you laid it out) unintentionally erases the voices of people of color and women who support him. Hell, the guy got early endorsements from Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, and Tlaib. I think it's reasonable to attack his platform (and boy would I), but I think it's marginalizing to be that reductive about his base.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

I can't believe I'm making another Bernie defense, but I think the Bernie Bros thing (especially as distinctly as you laid it out) unintentionally erases the voices of people of color and women who support him. Hell, the guy got early endorsements from Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, and Tlaib. I think it's reasonable to attack his platform (and boy would I), but I think it's marginalizing to be that reductive about his base.
    Yeah I'm not saying that all Sanders votes are Bernie Bros, uncompromising in nature.  But they do exist and there's little doubt that his supporters did not vote at the same level that Hillary voters went with Obama in 2008. And my point is that they have little to lose, truly.  
  • Even Mika "Mayor Pete lovah" gets it. Then every Pearl Jam fan should.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Even Mika "Mayor Pete lovah" gets it. Then every Pearl Jam fan should.

Sorry, I don't think the question is the story.  The story, if there is one, is whether Warren or Sanders is being dishonest with the characterization of the conversation.  Sanders supporters love to make it about the media.  They always do.  "Every Pearl Jam fan" don't have to act as a monolith.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    Even Mika "Mayor Pete lovah" gets it. Then every Pearl Jam fan should.

Sorry, I don't think the question is the story.  The story, if there is one, is whether Warren or Sanders is being dishonest with the characterization of the conversation.  Sanders supporters love to make it about the media.  They always do.  "Every Pearl Jam fan" don't have to act as a monolith.  
    No one is saying the question is "the story". But someone on here said: "I don't see anything wrong with it, tbh. "

You don't have to see the fanbase as a "monolith" to be baffled by fans, oh... I don't know... e.g. wanting to have sex with Jabba the Hut, saying the earth is flat or believing there wasn't  "
    anything wrong with [the question asked], tbh."

But anyways, Mika gets it.

On to the next debate.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    BTW - can someone tell me what this means? 

“Look at the men on this stage,” she grinned. “Collectively, they have lost 10 elections. The only people on this stage who have won every single election that they’ve been in are the women: Amy and me. And the only person on this stage who has beaten an incumbent Republican anytime in the past 30 years is me.”

What are the ten elections that Biden and Bernie are part of, with that loss?  Is she talking about Sanders losing on the nomination in 16?  Biden in 08?  Does that really count?  When Warren loses Iowa, does that mean she's lost an election?  

It seems to be an odd point.  I'm sure it was tongue in cheek, but sill a bit odd. And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

• mrussel1 said:
    And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

Then he brought the death penalty back like it was a The Eagles reunion like the true mensch he is. Good for him he didn't bring that up to lure some Trump voters over.

(Sanders disputing the 30 years thing was a bit cringey. But it seems like he didn't pick up on her saying "30 years" so whatevz. He should have just said "when did I lose an election?" and bring the pressure back on her to have her facts straight) 
    mrussel1 said:
    And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

Then he brought the death penalty back like it was a The Eagles reunion like the true mensch he is. Good for him he didn't bring that up to lure some Trump voters over.

(Sanders disputing the 30 years thing was a bit cringey. But it seems like he didn't pick up on her saying "30 years" so whatevz. He should have just said "when did I lose an election?" and bring the pressure back on her to have her facts straight) 
    Yeah good point.  Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act.  But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  
    Warren's artificial box of 30 years was stupid, arbitrary and designed to drop a zinger.  Someone should have said "yeah, but Liz, you're the only one here that was a Republican in the last 30 years".  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah good point.  Funny that you failed to mention the violence against women act, hate crimes, sex crimes and other liberal priorities that were in the same act.  But I guess if you were a senator you would have been able to pass such a bill without any compromises, so good for you.  
    Warren's artificial box of 30 years was stupid, arbitrary and designed to drop a zinger.  Someone should have said "yeah, but Liz, you're the only one here that was a Republican in the last 30 years".  
    that would have been a gooder. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    mrussel1 said:

It was petty. Not every Sanders flaw needs to be sugar-coated, just like not every non-Sanders flaw needs to be embellished. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:

Yeah I'm not saying that all Sanders votes are Bernie Bros, uncompromising in nature.  But they do exist and there's little doubt that his supporters did not vote at the same level that Hillary voters went with Obama in 2008. And my point is that they have little to lose, truly.  
    Yeah, true. They definitely did not back Clinton en masse. Much longer discussion, but I think polarization and degradation of candidate quality has made it a lot harder for people to "hold their nose and vote" or choose the "lesser evil." At some point you have to recognize your party is gonna take it on the chin if they're trotting someone out with negative favorables. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Joe has to have a big smile on his face today.  Didn't have to do anything last night and now most of his real competition will be tied up in an impeachment trial.  Granted I didn't watch, but the thing to beat Joe is to get him talking and wait for the damage to self inflict.  Seems like his opponents could have set a whole batch of verbal landmines around him and just sat back and waited for him to step on one.  

I'm not sure if Warren is still seriously running or if her goal is to drag Bernie out into the deep water where they both drown.  
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:

“Look at the men on this stage,” she grinned. “Collectively, they have lost 10 elections. The only people on this stage who have won every single election that they’ve been in are the women: Amy and me. And the only person on this stage who has beaten an incumbent Republican anytime in the past 30 years is me.”

What are the ten elections that Biden and Bernie are part of, with that loss?  Is she talking about Sanders losing on the nomination in 16?  Biden in 08?  Does that really count?  When Warren loses Iowa, does that mean she's lost an election?  

It seems to be an odd point.  I'm sure it was tongue in cheek, but sill a bit odd. And for the record, Biden won his senate seat from a Republican and was a huge underdog, with almost no money.  Good for Joe to not be petty enough to contradict a silly point.  

The whole thing was a setup. Team Warren planted that story ahead of the debate to get the idea of "a woman can't be President" into the ether. Once she gets the question on it, she can go into that soliloquy. And, yeah, she has to be counting lost primaries.

By the way, beating her chest about beating an incumbent Republican in Massachusetts is hilarious. I lived through that whole chain of events. Scott Brown pulled a horseshoe out of his ass running against a lazy Democrat in a special election. Everyone knew he was getting waxed when his seat came up again.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The whole thing was a setup. Team Warren planted that story ahead of the debate to get the idea of "a woman can't be President" into the ether. Once she gets the question on it, she can go into that soliloquy. And, yeah, she has to be counting lost primaries.

By the way, beating her chest about beating an incumbent Republican in Massachusetts is hilarious. I lived through that whole chain of events. Scott Brown pulled a horseshoe out of his ass running against a lazy Democrat in a special election. Everyone knew he was getting waxed when his seat came up again.
    Didn't the dude that Scott Brown beat fuck up some basic knowledge about the Red Sox or Celtics that made it obvious he hadn't watched a game with serious interest once in his life?  Like a week before the election?  dead man walking in that town ...
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Didn't the dude that Scott Brown beat fuck up some basic knowledge about the Red Sox or Celtics that made it obvious he hadn't watched a game with serious interest once in his life?  Like a week before the election?  dead man walking in that town ...
    No...that was John Kerry! I should look for thar clip. "Manny Ortez"  Brown beat Martha Coakley.
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No...that was John Kerry! I should look for thar clip. "Manny Ortez"  Brown beat Martha Coakley.
    Actually, it was Martha.  She said that Curt Schilling was a Yankee's fan.  I don't know if she had a chance prior to that but the coffin was sealed shut with that interview.  
    Jason P said:
    Joe has to have a big smile on his face today.  Didn't have to do anything last night and now most of his real competition will be tied up in an impeachment trial.  Granted I didn't watch, but the thing to beat Joe is to get him talking and wait for the damage to self inflict.  Seems like his opponents could have set a whole batch of verbal landmines around him and just sat back and waited for him to step on one.  

I'm not sure if Warren is still seriously running or if her goal is to drag Bernie out into the deep water where they both drown.  
    I feel like Joe has sharpened his game, and has shaken off the rust.  He also weathered the hits and his numbers have shown resiliency.  I think he's in a pretty good spot overall.  I'm sure any of the others would trade their numbers for his at this point.  
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Actually, it was Martha.  She said that Curt Schilling was a Yankee's fan.  I don't know if she had a chance prior to that but the coffin was sealed shut with that interview.  
    Oh wow...I don't remember that. Man, she thought she was going to waltz through that election. 
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I agree, setup.  And I still think it was precipitated by Team Bernie going negative last week.  This was the counter and it was a pretty hard punch.  
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I agree, setup.  And I still think it was precipitated by Team Bernie going negative last week.  This was the counter and it was a pretty hard punch.  
    Yes, also true. You're talking about the script his volunteer were working from?
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

so you guys think she made the whole thing up? if she did, why wouldn't bernie hammer her after she said that?

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

so you guys think she made the whole thing up? if she did, why wouldn't bernie hammer her after she said that?
    One of them is lying. I have no idea who.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, also true. You're talking about the script his volunteer were working from?
    Yes.  
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't necessarily think so.  "Setup" meaning that some conversation happened last year, and the Warren's team put that out this week, expecting the question, and was ready with her zinger.  
    gotcha

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.