Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Where is Biden and how would he handle this?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    did Bernie drop out yet?

Bernie needs to drop out and support Biden
    I don't know if he did. 

But what is this weird dude still doing in the race

Haha.
    What's wrong with this interview?  You've never been on a conference call and people keep talking and pausing at the same time?  
    ...ok ... sure...
    ok...so got...nothing?
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Shouldn’t he act like a president? I mean he is president and so wouldn’t logic dictate that everything he does is acting like a president?  I mean I despise trump but he does currently hold the title.
    he is president being trump.
    so I'll ask you to define "acting like a president" which on its face suggest he isnt a president if he acting LIKE one.

as president theres been little to nothing presidential about anything he has done or said.

I get what you mean, but having had so many presidents what exactly does presidential even mean. I mean the guy is out there being himself which is what all presidents have ever done. Good or bad it’s still presidential.  It’s like a huge bell curve.  He’s on the bad end of presidential behavior but he is still presidential by virtue of being president.
    That's a funny and interesting argument.  He's president, so by definition, everything he does is presidential.  However, I'd counter that and say we've had enough presidents to determine what is appropriate/inappropriate.  Not everything a father does is fatherly, as a corollary. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Shouldn’t he act like a president? I mean he is president and so wouldn’t logic dictate that everything he does is acting like a president?  I mean I despise trump but he does currently hold the title.
    so I'll ask you to define "acting like a president" which on its face suggest he isnt a president if he acting LIKE one.

as president theres been little to nothing presidential about anything he has done or said.

I get what you mean, but having had so many presidents what exactly does presidential even mean. I mean the guy is out there being himself which is what all presidents have ever done. Good or bad it’s still presidential.  It’s like a huge bell curve.  He’s on the bad end of presidential behavior but he is still presidential by virtue of being president.
    That's a funny and interesting argument.  He's president, so by definition, everything he does is presidential.  However, I'd counter that and say we've had enough presidents to determine what is appropriate/inappropriate.  Not everything a father does is fatherly, as a corollary. 
    I disagree because even the worst thing a father could ever do is fatherly behavior.  I think that’s why we have some of the problems here in the states that we do. To paraphrase and mangle Dr. Cornel West’s words,  People refusing to acknowledge that things like racism and trump are as inherently American as say apple pie baseball etc.  now two of these things are good things or at best middle of the road, two are horrible, but it takes all the threads that weave the tapestry of what America is.  You can’t just say that abhorrent behavior by Trump is not presidential because it was Trump or not what we would like it to be.  It is still in essence very presidential behavior.  It’s up to us to make sure we don’t have someone that inhibits the worst of what presidential behavior can be ever again, and to bring it back to the matter of this thread that means voting D in November and getting rid of the orange man.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:

I disagree because even the worst thing a father could ever do is fatherly behavior.  I think that’s why we have some of the problems here in the states that we do. To paraphrase and mangle Dr. Cornel West’s words,  People refusing to acknowledge that things like racism and trump are as inherently American as say apple pie baseball etc.  now two of these things are good things or at best middle of the road, two are horrible, but it takes all the threads that weave the tapestry of what America is.  You can’t just say that abhorrent behavior by Trump is not presidential because it was Trump or not what we would like it to be.  It is still in essence very presidential behavior.  It’s up to us to make sure we don’t have someone that inhibits the worst of what presidential behavior can be ever again, and to bring it back to the matter of this thread that means voting D in November and getting rid of the orange man.
    that's weird semantic gymnastics you are playing. being a father does not make one 'fatherly'. the word fatherly infers being the best father you can be, not just biologically being a father makes you fatherly. same with being a professional does not make you act professional. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    mickeyrat said:

I stand in the green, but it should be labeled "when you two idiots figure it out, we will be ready"

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I stand in the green, but it should be labeled "when you two idiots figure it out, we will be ready"

Nice horseshoes
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice horseshoes
    Can you explain that saying of yours? is it a family thing, regional, or just something you say when you don't know what to say?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice horseshoes
    Annoying 
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

How does anyone that doesn't vote have a reasonable right to complain about something?  Who is the perfect candidate that you are awaiting?  Is it Jesus, Ghandi or someone with whom you agree with 100% of the time?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice horseshoes
    Annoying 
    not as annoying as 3rd party voters and protest voters
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I have no choice but to practice what I preach.

I believe Tara Reade.  I'm voting third.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice horseshoes
    Can you explain that saying of yours? is it a family thing, regional, or just something you say when you don't know what to say?
    I have no idea what it means, but assuming the author, it’s derogatory ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Why do you believe her at this point?  Her initial accusation was this "When Reade initially came out about her experience with Biden, she told The Union that he did uncomfortable things like “put his hand on my shoulder and run his finger up my neck.” Reade also said that she cut ties with Biden’s office over an early 1993 staff argument. According to Reade, Biden wanted her to serve drinks because he liked her legs. Reade says she didn’t hear this directly from Biden but she learned of it during her argument with staff. Reade refused to serve the drinks, which she believes was a move that affected her career.

“My life was hell,” Reade said. “This was about power and control. I couldn’t get a job on the Hill.” She eventually left Biden’s office in August of 1993."

But now she's accusing him of rape?  That seems like it escalated in accusation.  Do what you want with your vote.  My read on you is you've been looking for a reason not to vote for Biden for a long time, so now you've got yours.  

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited March 2020
    Tell you what...I'm not sure I could vote for him on the first account, anyway.

I am beyond frustrated and bordering on depressed that the Dems fucked this up so badly.  What a fiasco.  They had some decent candidates and all they did was in-fight, get too scared of Bernie, and pick a guy who we already knew was, at best, as creepy as Reade's initial story.

Can I pick a creepy pervert likely rapist over another creepy pervert likely rapist? Usually, no.  But what if the latter is literally going to bring on authoritarianism?  Ugh. Go away, Joe.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

What a joke. This reaks of a smear job.  

I'm guessing you'll eat your words when it's proven she's lying then, right? 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Tell you what...I'm not sure I could vote for him on the first account, anyway.

I am beyond frustrated and bordering on depressed that the Dems fucked this up so badly.  What a fiasco.  They had some decent candidates and all they did was in-fight, get too scared of Bernie, and pick a guy who we already knew was, at best, as creepy as Reade's initial story.

Can I pick a creepy pervert likely rapist over another creepy pervert likely rapist? Usually, no.  But what if the latter is literally going to bring on authoritarianism?  Ugh. Go away, Joe.
    Nice horseshoes
    Clip clop!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

How does anyone that doesn't vote have a reasonable right to complain about something?  Who is the perfect candidate that you are awaiting?  Is it Jesus, Ghandi or someone with whom you agree with 100% of the time?
    I was under the impression that it is my right to vote if I choose, I didn’t know that exercising my right voided me of having an opinion. Until I see the win at all cost for “our” side mentality stop, I find it hard to believe either side has “us” in their best interests. I’m sorry, but I think we are better than having a system that caters to only half of the people. Not that extreme if you think about it. I wish I had the answer on how to achieve this, but putting those in charge to the task would be a good start. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I was under the impression that it is my right to vote if I choose, I didn’t know that exercising my right voided me of having an opinion. Until I see the win at all cost for “our” side mentality stop, I find it hard to believe either side has “us” in their best interests. I’m sorry, but I think we are better than having a system that caters to only half of the people. Not that extreme if you think about it. I wish I had the answer on how to achieve this, but putting those in charge to the task would be a good start. 
    Were you replying to my post?  Because I don't understand where the "us" is coming from.  
    And are you part of the 50% that are or aren't represented by Congress?

Last,  nowhere did I say you didn't have the right not to vote.  I said what reasonable right do you have to complain when you don't participate in the process?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    mickeyrat said:

How are these numbers possible when there are only 538 votes?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

One party believes in making multi millionaires billionaires. The other party wants to help people, workers and create a better safety net, but that party is trapped in a system requiring billions to finance campaigns. So they also need the billionaires, which makes them look like the other party.

The only way to change this is if the millions who don’t vote understand this basic outline of our political process, so we can change the constitution to remove big money from elections. But the party of billionaires obfuscates just enough to make the party of the people look more like the billionaire party.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    dankind said:

Amazing 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:

How are these numbers possible when there are only 538 votes?
    Good point
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Were you replying to my post?  Because I don't understand where the "us" is coming from.  
    And are you part of the 50% that are or aren't represented by Congress?

Last,  nowhere did I say you didn't have the right not to vote.  I said what reasonable right do you have to complain when you don't participate in the process?
    I was simply putting emphasis on the words our and us. Our being supporters of a particular party and us being all citizens. The same Congress made up of members from the 2 parties that can’t seem to work together very effectively? That is my issue. I said I didn’t know that exercising my right voided me of having an opinion on the matter. I was not implying that you didn’t think I had the right not to vote. Would you call out a fan who didn’t agree with a call made during a sporting event because they aren’t the ones playing? I don’t have a problem communicating with people who have a different viewpoint, if mine is not welcome just let me know and there will be no hard feelings.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited March 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    did Bernie drop out yet?

Bernie needs to drop out and support Biden
    I don't know if he did. 

But what is this weird dude still doing in the race

Haha.
    What's wrong with this interview?  You've never been on a conference call and people keep talking and pausing at the same time?  
    ...ok ... sure...
    ok...so got...nothing?
    I happen to believe you got my post and what was "wrong" with the interview, but are just a bit wee too much into the Biden defense force (in here) to let lose, and I don't feel the need to fall into a:

https://youtu.be/5NV-JjlIls4
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankind said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    CM189191 said:
    did Bernie drop out yet?

Bernie needs to drop out
    Tara Reade has been trying to tell her story since it happened in 1993, when she was working as a staff assistant for Joe Biden. She told part of her story-- about how Biden would put his hands on her shoulders and run his fingers up and down her neck-- in the spring of 2019 after Lucy Flores accused Biden of kissing the top of her head and smelling her hair inappropriately. But Reade didn't tell her full story. As Ryan Grim reveals at The Intercept, Reade asked for help from Time's Up, but the organization said it could not support her because a case taking on Biden would jeopardize their non-profit status. Tara is finally telling the story she's been trying to tell for decades. While there were no witnesses to Biden's alleged sexual assault of Tara Reade, her brother and close friend, both of whom I've spoken to, recall Reade telling them about it at the time

Description of the sexual assault (not kissing children, or massaging from behind -- but SEXUAL ASSAULT by Joe Biden):

https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/joe-bidens-accuser-finally-tells-her-full-story

Sounds like Joe Biden felt he had the right to - grab women, by the pussy?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The US could have had this goodhearted fighter and truthspeaker:

(Have this on in the background while watching: https://youtu.be/DhlPAj38rHc)
This discussion has been closed.