The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    Jason P said:
    Pete probably has a better shot in the next election cycle.  I would not think he would risk a future presidential run by accepting a potentially fatal VP run this election.  
    That makes sense also.   If it doesn't turn out to be Pete, I wonder who Biden might choose for his VP?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:
    Pete probably has a better shot in the next election cycle.  I would not think he would risk a future presidential run by accepting a potentially fatal VP run this election.  
    That makes sense also.   If it doesn't turn out to be Pete, I wonder who Biden might choose for his VP?
    2 things I know for sure:

1) it’ll be a woman
    2) Her hair will smell great
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    If Pete could flip Indiana then he would be a must for the ticket. I seriously doubt that he can.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Biden sounds like a relic calling weed a "gateway drug." If he insists on being against federal legalization, he should come up with a better reason than a talking point from the mid-1980's. 
    Seriously. It really just makes him sound stupid IMO.
    Stupid, out-of-touch, stuck in his old ways....any would apply.

He's likely just trying to come off less "left" than his opponents. I'm sure moderate Democrats and Trump-hating Republicans could appreciate that. But the bulk of the Democratic electorate that he's going need to win the primary? Not sure how well it'll play with them. 
    Apparently, only 7% of Americans actually think cannabis should be completely illegal, lol. He doesn't just sound out of touch. He IS out of touch, clearly. If he wasn't, he never would have made that dumbass statement!
    Of all the crazy policies touted by this crop of democrats...I’m surprised Joe took this one as the far left. Cause it’s not.  Weird.
    Yeah and yet he was one of the dumbasses that raised their hand at the first debate when asked, by a show of hands, about who would support free healthcare for illegal immigrants. And if you ever watch that clip back, he's among the last to raise his hand. Because he KNOWS it's a horrible policy proposal (and an even worse campaign promise to have Trump holding over your head), but he looked around, saw the others raising their hands, and he fell in line like a sheep. 
    We discussed this deeply before.  This was a fundamentally unfair question.  Your assessment and pejorative is just as unfair and without thought 

What if a person had a heart attack? Should they be treated?  Isn't that healthcare?  Stupid questions lead to misunderstanding and inaccurate results,  by all the candidates.  
    I’m just talking about how it all came off to the TV viewers. Not looking for a health insurance for illegals vs. emergency care for illegals debate. You’re right it was a stupid question. You said we discussed this deeply before...two people on a band’s website. Yet ten presidential candidates on national TV get to raise their hands if they agree with a vague question. It’s ridiculous. 
    Wouldn't it have been great if at least a few of those candidates and spoken out and said, "This is a more complex issue than a simple yes or no answer.  I will neither raise nor not raise my hand but would be glad to talk about it further at a later time.  People are so goddamn dumb about shit.  It always has to be "yes" or "no", left or right, up or down.  I say, fuck that shit.
    problem is, when a politician starts off an an answer with "there's really no easy answer to this..." people shut their brains off. people want it in black and white so they can understand it and move on. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:
    Jason P said:
    2 things I know for sure:

1) it’ll be a woman
    2) Her hair will smell great
    Hillary. HAHAHAHA

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Biden sounds like a relic calling weed a "gateway drug." If he insists on being against federal legalization, he should come up with a better reason than a talking point from the mid-1980's. 

He's likely just trying to come off less "left" than his opponents. I'm sure moderate Democrats and Trump-hating Republicans could appreciate that. But the bulk of the Democratic electorate that he's going need to win the primary? Not sure how well it'll play with them. 
    Apparently, only 7% of Americans actually think cannabis should be completely illegal, lol. He doesn't just sound out of touch. He IS out of touch, clearly. If he wasn't, he never would have made that dumbass statement!
    Of all the crazy policies touted by this crop of democrats...I’m surprised Joe took this one as the far left. Cause it’s not.  Weird.
    Yeah and yet he was one of the dumbasses that raised their hand at the first debate when asked, by a show of hands, about who would support free healthcare for illegal immigrants. And if you ever watch that clip back, he's among the last to raise his hand. Because he KNOWS it's a horrible policy proposal (and an even worse campaign promise to have Trump holding over your head), but he looked around, saw the others raising their hands, and he fell in line like a sheep. 
    We discussed this deeply before.  This was a fundamentally unfair question.  Your assessment and pejorative is just as unfair and without thought 

What if a person had a heart attack? Should they be treated?  Isn't that healthcare?  Stupid questions lead to misunderstanding and inaccurate results,  by all the candidates.  
    I’m just talking about how it all came off to the TV viewers. Not looking for a health insurance for illegals vs. emergency care for illegals debate. You’re right it was a stupid question. You said we discussed this deeply before...two people on a band’s website. Yet ten presidential candidates on national TV get to raise their hands if they agree with a vague question. It’s ridiculous. 
    Wouldn't it have been great if at least a few of those candidates and spoken out and said, "This is a more complex issue than a simple yes or no answer.  I will neither raise nor not raise my hand but would be glad to talk about it further at a later time.  People are so goddamn dumb about shit.  It always has to be "yes" or "no", left or right, up or down.  I say, fuck that shit.
    problem is, when a politician starts off an an answer with "there's really no easy answer to this..." people shut their brains off. people want it in black and white so they can understand it and move on. 
    People are dumb, dumb, dumb!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know.. I like to think that there is a good portion of the population (particularly the center of each party) who understand the complexities of the world.  That's why they aren't political partisans to start.  And that's who needs to be moved.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know.. I like to think that there is a good portion of the population (particularly the center of each party) who understand the complexities of the world.  That's why they aren't political partisans to start.  And that's who needs to be moved.  
    no way people in the general population spend as much time researching and watching and listening as this microcosm. that's why misinformation is so easy to spread. people read headlines and move on. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

no way people in the general population spend as much time researching and watching and listening as this microcosm. that's why misinformation is so easy to spread. people read headlines and move on. 
    I agree with the population as a whole,  but im talking about the center,  the swing voters.  I don't think they watch Fox or MSNBC.  I think they get their information from the nightly news, Today show,  etc 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

So 4 more years is a forgone conclusion since if it's probably a fatal VP run?
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    no more years.

This POS is SO BAD, the Dems win going away, regardless. 
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

So 4 more years is a forgone conclusion since if it's probably a fatal VP run?
    Who said 4 more years is a forgone conclusion?  I don't understand.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    By Kayla Epstein
    November 22, 2019 at 10:53 a.m. EST

It’s the autumn before a presidential election year: The leaves are changing, the weather’s getting brisk, the days are getting shorter, and Democrats are getting antsy about their field of potential nominees.

On Thursday night, Barack Obama had a message for these anxious Democrats: “Chill.”

Appearing at a Democratic National Committee fundraiser attended by about 100 of Silicon Valley’s deep-pocketed donors, the former president told the crowd that it is paramount that the party stay focused on defeating President Trump next November rather than be consumed by intraparty squabbles and purity tests, CNN reported.

“Everybody needs to chill out about the candidates but gin up about the prospect of rallying behind whoever emerges from this process,” Obama said in response to a question about the primary, according to CNN.

“The field will narrow, and there’s going to be one person, and if that is not your perfect candidate and there are certain aspects of what they say that you don’t agree with and you don’t find them completely inspiring the way you’d like, I don’t care,” Obama said Thursday. “Because the choice is so stark and the stakes are so high that you cannot afford to be ambivalent in this race.”

“I’m always suspicious of purity tests during elections,” Obama said, according to the New York Times. “Because you know what? The country’s complicated.”

The former president’s remarks came at a private fundraiser in the town of Los Altos Hills, near San Jose, hosted by physician and political donor Karla Jurvetson, where attendees paid up to $355,000 to attend, Recode reported. Obama was joined by Democratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez, who interviewed the former president in front of guests such as Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry and his wife, Ayesha, an actress and television show host, according to Recode.

In recent weeks, Obama has begun to emerge from the sidelines of the Democratic primary with headline-generating remarks about the 2020 race. His message to Democrats has hit the same notes throughout: Don’t stress too much, be mindful of losing touch with voters, and stay focused on the goal of beating Trump.

Obama’s engagement coincides with rising panic among some party figures that the liberal candidates are dragging the conversation too far to the left and that a more centrist, unifying approach will be required to defeat Trump next November.

Moderate Democratic candidates have attempted to seize their moment during a conversation dominated so far by liberal policies espoused by Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (Vt.). At Wednesday night’s Democratic debate, candidates such as Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Cory Booker (N.J.), along with South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg, elbowed their way to the fore with calls for “unity” and attacks on proposals to overhaul the health-care system with Medicare-for-all.

Meanwhile, two additional candidates with a centrist approach have attempted to join the fray: Former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick entered the primary last week, and former New York mayor and billionaire Mike Bloomberg filed candidate paperwork on Thursday after initially ruling out a run.

Obama has so far declined to endorse in the 2020 Democratic primary, despite the fact that his former vice president, Joe Biden, is running, and Obama has also refrained from criticizing any candidate by name. But he has shared his general thoughts that to beat Trump, Democrats must be “bold in our vision” while staying “rooted in reality” so as not to turn away more-moderate voters.

“This is still a country that is less revolutionary than it is interested in improvement,” Obama said at a Nov. 15 meeting of the Democracy Alliance in Washington. “They like seeing things improved. But the average American doesn’t think that we have to completely tear down the system and remake it. And I think it’s important for us not to lose sight of that.

“My point is that even as we push the envelope and we are bold in our vision,” he said Nov. 15, “we also have to be rooted in reality and the fact that voters, including Democratic voters and certainly persuadable independents or even moderate Republicans, are not driven by the same views that are reflected on certain, you know, left-leaning Twitter feeds or the activist wing of our party.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    So smart... cue the idiot millennial with the “ok boomer” crap

hippiemom = goodness
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

CM189191 said:

That's total bullshit
    And fundamentally stupid. 
    So smart... cue the idiot millennial with the “ok boomer” crap

not exact "ok boomer" but an hour and 2 minutes.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited November 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    the problem with being a centrist is you have to deal with BOTH groups of assholes.......

it gets tiring.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

That's total bullshit
    Very very dumb.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    the problem with being a centrist is you have to deal with BOTH groups of assholes.......

it gets tiring.
    Like.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

it gets tiring.

What is a centrist?

Here, let's summarize Obama's opinion:

Y'all are being horseshoed.  There's no room for centrists or third parties.  Pick a side. Shit or get off the pot.  And so on...

Spoiler alert: Both sides are not bad.  One side had proven itself to be fundamentally flawed and structurally unsound.  Traitors.
    have little interest in dialog when your points are made with memes and gifs. you cant be taken seriously.

CM189191 said:

Y'all are being horseshoed.  There's no room for centrists or third parties.  Pick a side. Shit or get off the pot.  And so on...

Spoiler alert: Both sides are not bad.  One side had proven itself to be fundamentally flawed and structurally unsound.  Traitors.
    Except for that isn't true.  Let's look at social issues.. Are you arguing that the center has moved to the right on gay marriage?  How about civil rights issues?  How about marijuana reform?  The crux of your first meme seeks to argue that the centrists are okay with some discrimination.  That bullshit opinion is not backed up by any reality of where the country has moved since the 60's.  Get your history from somewhere other than memes.  
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Except for that isn't true.  Let's look at social issues.. Are you arguing that the center has moved to the right on gay marriage?  How about civil rights issues?  How about marijuana reform?  The crux of your first meme seeks to argue that the centrists are okay with some discrimination.  That bullshit opinion is not backed up by any reality of where the country has moved since the 60's.  Get your history from somewhere other than memes.  
    So what?

We won a few battles in the 60s & 70s.  Does that mean we give up ground now?

No, we keep pushing a progressive agenda.  Because that's what attracts people to the Democratic party.  

A mission, a goal, a vision.  None of this try to make everyone happy all the time bullshit.  

Health care for all.  Education for all. Housing for all.  No one goes hungry.

Eat the rich.  Bring out the guillotines.  

I'm fucking tired of placating to racists, bigots, misogynists, and morons.  These people continuously vote against their own self interest. 

They can't be reasoned our bargained with.  They only understand fear, uncertainty and doubt.  
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

So what?

No, we keep pushing a progressive agenda.  Because that's what attracts people to the Democratic party.  

A mission, a goal, a vision.  None of this try to make everyone happy all the time bullshit.  

I'm fucking tired of placating to racists, bigots, misogynists, and morons.  These people continuously vote against their own self interest. 

They can't be reasoned our bargained with.  They only understand fear, uncertainty and doubt.  
    You sound like a Jacobin.  I hope this post is a joke.  Regardless, the meme you started with is fundamentally dishonest and you agreed with my counterpoint.  Surely you do not believe all of the centrists on this board (and there's quite a few of us) are okay with the KKK?  I mean, we're not great with it, but we must be okay with it, right?  Because that's what you fucking posted.  
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

So what?

You sound like a Jacobin.  I hope this post is a joke.  Regardless, the meme you started with is fundamentally dishonest and you agreed with my counterpoint.  Surely you do not believe all of the centrists on this board (and there's quite a few of us) are okay with the KKK?  I mean, we're not great with it, but we must be okay with it, right?  Because that's what you fucking posted.  
    Imagine a dozen Nazis are sitting at a table. You sit down and join them. Without saying a word.  Then what do you have?

13 Nazis
    edited November 2019
    CM189191 said:
    Imagine a dozen Nazis are sitting at a table. You sit down and join them. Without saying a word.  Then what do you have?

13 Nazis
    I hope that wasn't an attempt to be clever.  Try a real argument using your own words and ideas, rather than parroting someone else's.  You're 2/2 on that front. 
    I believe that in the 2020 presidential election, a centrist president would be far better than what we have now.  Way far better.

But what I'd really like more than anything, would be a president who, more importantly than being affiliated with the typical left-center-right paradigm, I would like to see the following qualities in a president:

-Intelligent
    -Well spoken
    -Diplomatic
    -Discerning
    -Sensible
    -Capable of critical thinking
    -Respectful of nature and wilderness
    -Compassionate
    -Hard working
    -Healthy and health conscious
    -Having a good sense of humor

I have now idea where these fit on that thin little line called "left-center-right".

This discussion has been closed.