Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,242
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's a really big mistake to hold that First Nations heritage thing against Warren.
    Personally, I think it's a minor issue and I like her a lot.  But why did she do that and how will it affect her chances of winning?  Those are the important questions.
    She didn't make a decision to lie. She repeated what she had been taught to her by her entire family for her entire life. It turned out that what she and her family regarded as their history was wrong. It was completely innocent on her part, and I actually feel bad for her just because she learned that part of her identity was based on incorrect info.

Warren has used bad judgment many times in recent years. Why did trump attack her before the dna test so strongly? Because he judged her ethnicity by her appearance. It's not fair but that's the risk she took by not backing off the decision she made as a young adult (to advance her family's claim without evidence).

Instead she doubled down with the dna test. Then she did it again by exclaiming the test supported her narrative.

She did not back down until the Native Americans told her she was being insulting to them 

She allowed herself to be backed into a corner by trump. She also has wobbled twice on her centerpiece Medicare plan because she is starting to realize moderates are disgusted by it.

As of friday, she now wants Bidens plan for 3 years then her plan. She's a literal train wreck .

To beat trump we need someone with street smarts before they act. Warren has proven many times that's not her. She is not the person capable  to take down trump in a solid economy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,998
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ikiT said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    dignin said:
    Haha, okay Boomer.

Biden says he won't legalize marijuana because it may be a 'gateway drug'

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/470861-biden-says-he-wont-legalize-marijuana-because-it-may-be-a-gateway-drug
    yo fuck that.  nice knowing you.
    Did you read the article or just the headline?  While I'm not aligned with him on this issue, it sure as hell isn't my make or break one either.  If Trump ran against Biden and declared that he supported Fed legalization, would you vote for Trump over Biden?

Biden, as he has throughout his time on the campaign trail, said he supports medical marijuana and insisted possession of the substance "should not be a crime."

But he also said Saturday that he thinks the decision to legalize marijuana should be left up to individual states.

“States should be able to make a judgment to legalize marijuana,” he said at the town hall.

As for legalization on a federal level, Biden said more research is needed.

He will not have my primary support.

Simply based of that issue, or for other reasons?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,042
    Joe's mad reasonable.  Not the most progressive, but reasonable.

Everybody already crossed the weed bridge.  
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiT said:

I think of myself as progressive (but don't use that term as it has been bastardized), but unless we want another 4 years of Trump, we are probably going to need to elect someone "reasonable".  Yes, I might have argued my own point here 3 years ago, but the planet is worse off with Trump than just about anyone.  Except maybe Pence. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    brianlux said:
    ikiT said:

I think of myself as progressive (but don't use that term as it has been bastardized), but unless we want another 4 years of Trump, we are probably going to need to elect someone "reasonable".  Yes, I might have argued my own point here 3 years ago, but the planet is worse off with Trump than just about anyone.  Except maybe Pence. 
    You in fact did argue your own point 3 years ago, I can assure you! :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    it will be the Dem nominee, though.

I'm not cray.
  • Options
    As a never trumper, If it's Joe, it's Joe.  He's not my primary choice for now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Biden sounds like a relic calling weed a "gateway drug." If he insists on being against federal legalization, he should come up with a better reason than a talking point from the mid-1980's. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Biden sounds like a relic calling weed a "gateway drug." If he insists on being against federal legalization, he should come up with a better reason than a talking point from the mid-1980's. 
    Seriously. It really just makes him sound stupid IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Stupid, out-of-touch, stuck in his old ways....any would apply.

He's likely just trying to come off less "left" than his opponents. I'm sure moderate Democrats and Trump-hating Republicans could appreciate that. But the bulk of the Democratic electorate that he's going need to win the primary? Not sure how well it'll play with them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

He's likely just trying to come off less "left" than his opponents. I'm sure moderate Democrats and Trump-hating Republicans could appreciate that. But the bulk of the Democratic electorate that he's going need to win the primary? Not sure how well it'll play with them. 
    Apparently, only 7% of Americans actually think cannabis should be completely illegal, lol. He doesn't just sound out of touch. He IS out of touch, clearly. If he wasn't, he never would have made that dumbass statement!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,185
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Apparently, only 7% of Americans actually think cannabis should be completely illegal, lol. He doesn't just sound out of touch. He IS out of touch, clearly. If he wasn't, he never would have made that dumbass statement!
    Of all the crazy policies touted by this crop of democrats...I’m surprised Joe took this one as the far left. Cause it’s not.  Weird.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Of all the crazy policies touted by this crop of democrats...I’m surprised Joe took this one as the far left. Cause it’s not.  Weird.
    Yeah and yet he was one of the dumbasses that raised their hand at the first debate when asked, by a show of hands, about who would support free healthcare for illegal immigrants. And if you ever watch that clip back, he's among the last to raise his hand. Because he KNOWS it's a horrible policy proposal (and an even worse campaign promise to have Trump holding over your head), but he looked around, saw the others raising their hands, and he fell in line like a sheep. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    ikiT said:

You in fact did argue your own point 3 years ago, I can assure you! :lol:;)
    I did?!

Ummm, oh yeah... now I remember...
    hide

• Options
    Again though, I think he is trying to woo some of the moderate Republican votes- and a lot of those middle America moderate Republicans probably still do use terms like "gateway drug".  And it's not a bad strategy, especially because I really doubt he cares about weed being legal or not- probably has toked a few himself in his day.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,185
    brianlux said:
    Again though, I think he is trying to woo some of the moderate Republican votes- and a lot of those middle America moderate Republicans probably still do use terms like "gateway drug".  And it's not a bad strategy, especially because I really doubt he cares about weed being legal or not- probably has toked a few himself in his day.
    Here is the reality. If Dems want to win republican votes:

1) be anti-abortion (not likely)
    2) be pro-gun (I hope not likey)
    3) speak about fiscal responsibility (no free everything)
    4) have an actual immigration policy that isn’t dumb. But of course most haven’t come close. Ironically GW and Obama weren’t that bad here 

Otherwise it doesn’t matter
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,837
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah and yet he was one of the dumbasses that raised their hand at the first debate when asked, by a show of hands, about who would support free healthcare for illegal immigrants. And if you ever watch that clip back, he's among the last to raise his hand. Because he KNOWS it's a horrible policy proposal (and an even worse campaign promise to have Trump holding over your head), but he looked around, saw the others raising their hands, and he fell in line like a sheep. 
    We discussed this deeply before.  This was a fundamentally unfair question.  Your assessment and pejorative is just as unfair and without thought 

What if a person had a heart attack? Should they be treated?  Isn't that healthcare?  Stupid questions lead to misunderstanding and inaccurate results,  by all the candidates.  
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    brianlux said:
    It matters.... Look at Oklahoma, a deep Red State, but both Left and Right voted overwhelmingly for medical MJ. This makes Biden look out of touch, which he is...
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    It matters.... Look at Oklahoma, a deep Red State, but both Left and Right voted overwhelmingly for medical MJ. This makes Biden look out of touch, which he is...
    He is but who cares.  If he supports decriminalization and state legalization,  it's not very important in the grand scheme.  And it's clearly not patronizing,  it's his belief system.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,411
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We discussed this deeply before.  This was a fundamentally unfair question.  Your assessment and pejorative is just as unfair and without thought 

What if a person had a heart attack? Should they be treated?  Isn't that healthcare?  Stupid questions lead to misunderstanding and inaccurate results,  by all the candidates.  
    this is something that irritates me. equating heathcare with insurance.

all of the debate around ACA was misspoken in my opinion.

hospitals arent checking immigration status before treating a patient in obvious distress.

practical and reasonable to me is public option. if everyone in dc is all about consumer choice then move on it. seems like the logical potential transition  to M4A anyway.

trouble is those fuckers are addicted to industry money.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

this is something that irritates me. equating heathcare with insurance.

all of the debate around ACA was misspoken in my opinion.

hospitals arent checking immigration status before treating a patient in obvious distress.

practical and reasonable to me is public option. if everyone in dc is all about consumer choice then move on it. seems like the logical potential transition  to M4A anyway.

trouble is those fuckers are addicted to industry money.
    Agreed on all of your points,  particularly the one about insurance vs care.  

And im hopeful that democratic senators are ready to support the public option.  I don't see Biden rolling out something that he knows would be DOA in the Senate, his home turf. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Here is the reality. If Dems want to win republican votes:

1) be anti-abortion (not likely)
    2) be pro-gun (I hope not likey)
    3) speak about fiscal responsibility (no free everything)
    4) have an actual immigration policy that isn’t dumb. But of course most haven’t come close. Ironically GW and Obama weren’t that bad here 

Otherwise it doesn’t matter
    Those would win votes, for sure, Cincy.  The smart thing to do would be to

1) Down play the abortion issue as much as possible (yes, easier said than done, but stay away fro it as much as possible).
    2) Same thing with guns.  Maybe push for better background checks, no bazookas,  etc, but don't take ALL the boys toys away.
    3)  Encourage people to be being smart with their personal finance.  Make it a win for them.
    4) Well said on your take!
    5) Show them some respect- don't make them they enemy. 

Another tactic is... join them.  I have a relative who for many years has been a very hard working environmental lawyer (and never got rich in that line of that business) who has been a life-long DIE HARD Democrat.  He just informed me that he is going to re-register as a Republican because a) that party needs people like him, b) he can vote against Trump in the primaries and c) a few of his friends are Republican AND strongly environmental and he likes the idea of having more environmentally friendly Republicans.  Interesting thought!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    Wow- didn't know that.  In any case, this is a minor issue for most people and will soon be forgotten (but then, everything is soon-to-be-forgotten in this mass-ADD/ADHD twitter world.)

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I’m just talking about how it all came off to the TV viewers. Not looking for a health insurance for illegals vs. emergency care for illegals debate. You’re right it was a stupid question. You said we discussed this deeply before...two people on a band’s website. Yet ten presidential candidates on national TV get to raise their hands if they agree with a vague question. It’s ridiculous. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I’m just talking about how it all came off to the TV viewers. Not looking for a health insurance for illegals vs. emergency care for illegals debate. You’re right it was a stupid question. You said we discussed this deeply before...two people on a band’s website. Yet ten presidential candidates on national TV get to raise their hands if they agree with a vague question. It’s ridiculous. 
    Wouldn't it have been great if at least a few of those candidates and spoken out and said, "This is a more complex issue than a simple yes or no answer.  I will neither raise nor not raise my hand but would be glad to talk about it further at a later time.  People are so goddamn dumb about shit.  It always has to be "yes" or "no", left or right, up or down.  I say, fuck that shit.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wouldn't it have been great if at least a few of those candidates and spoken out and said, "This is a more complex issue than a simple yes or no answer.  I will neither raise nor not raise my hand but would be glad to talk about it further at a later time.  People are so goddamn dumb about shit.  It always has to be "yes" or "no", left or right, up or down.  I say, fuck that shit.
    Completely agree. The whole party seems to shoot itself in the foot. No way their moderator should put them in that sort of situation 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Completely agree. The whole party seems to shoot itself in the foot. No way their moderator should put them in that sort of situation 
    There's only one word for it, on both sides,  Ledbett- "Clusterfuck"!

This discussion has been closed.