The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited November 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's a really big mistake to hold that First Nations heritage thing against Warren.
    Personally, I think it's a minor issue and I like her a lot.  But why did she do that and how will it affect her chances of winning?  Those are the important questions.
    She didn't make a decision to lie. She repeated what she had been taught to her by her entire family for her entire life. It turned out that what she and her family regarded as their history was wrong. It was completely innocent on her part, and I actually feel bad for her just because she learned that part of her identity was based on incorrect info.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    edited November 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's a really big mistake to hold that First Nations heritage thing against Warren.
    Personally, I think it's a minor issue and I like her a lot.  But why did she do that and how will it affect her chances of winning?  Those are the important questions.
    She didn't make a decision to lie. She repeated what she had been taught to her by her entire family for her entire life. It turned out that what she and her family regarded as their history was wrong. It was completely innocent on her part, and I actually feel bad for her just because she learned that part of her identity was based on incorrect info.
    not to mention, the right goes apeshit when the left apparently lies when they didn't even lie, but defend everything Trump lies about. it's baffling. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Is anybody else who does not want to see Trump re-elected beginning to feel a bit concerned about the election coming up in a bit less than a year?  Here are the options as I see them, listed in order of their current popularity according to RealClear Politics:

Biden (26%).  Good old uncle Joe.  Hell of a nice guy but is he up to it?  I'm thinking he's slowed down a bit too much and were it not for wanting Trump out, he would probably much rather go fishing.  Can he beat Trump anyway?  Not if he can't shake that "I'm old and a bit disoriented" look.  I know that look.  I see it in the mirror on many a morning.

Warren (20.8%).  A few years ago I would have been ecstatic at the chances of Warren running for president.  But then she admitted ("sort of admitted" I believe it was the Washington Post put it) lying about the Native American thing.  I'm almost as fanatical about disliking lying as John "Johnny Rotten" Lydon.  This doesn't sit well with me... or much of the voting public.  Will this have proven to be her undoing?

Bernie Sanders (17.8).  Bernie has some great progressive ideas but I'm seriously concerned he takes them too far to the edge for the average American and probably would lose to Trump.  But then that says worse things about the average American, doesn't it?  Also, dItto that as-above image in the mirror thing.

Buttigieg (8%).  This is the guy I want to stand behind but at his current 8%, the chances are so ultra thin. 

All the rest are just minor footnotes at this point.

And add to all of this the all raising their hands to give illegal immigrants health coverage incident.  Show me how this isn't handing a shit load of votes over to Trump.  It's not that I don't care about the well being of the illegal immigrants, but how well would we suppose those people will do in a situation with another 4 years of Trump as POTUS? 

In the early going, I am feeling very concerned about what is going to go down a year from now. 
    I think this is normal.  We still have plenty of time to refine arguments,  move to the center,  etc.

I like Pete a lot.  I like his perspective on life,  temperament,  etc.  And he honestly has surpassed Warren in momentum.  There will be more shifts in momentum as well.  
    I hope yo are right, M.  I really hope things com together better over the next 11 1/2 months!
    If you remember,  there was a pretty big divide between Obama and Clinton supporters in 08.  But that got healed,  helped greatly by Hillary being promised the SOS position.  It all worked out. I have faith. 
    Faith is what I probably need more of.  Or like Lou Reed said, "You need a busload of faith to get by".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391

Obama cautions Democratic hopefuls on tacking too far left

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-cautions-democratic-hopefuls-tacking-030432024.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former President Barack Obama on Friday warned the Democratic field of White House hopefuls not to veer too far to the left, a move he said would alienate many who would otherwise be open to voting for the party’s nominee next year.

Though Obama did not mention anyone by name, the message delivered before a room of Democratic donors in Washington was a clear word of caution about the candidacies of Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. The two have called for massive structural changes — and in Sanders’ case “revolution” — that would dramatically alter the role of government in people’s lives.

The centrist wing of the party has warned for months that a far-left nominee could alienate moderate Republicans and independent voters needed to oust President Donald Trump.

“The average American doesn't think we have to completely tear down the system and remake it. And I think it's important for us not to lose sight of that,” Obama said. “There are a lot of persuadable voters and there are a lot of Democrats out there who just want to see things make sense. They just don't want to see crazy stuff. They want to see things a little more fair, they want to see things a little more just. And how we approach that I think will be important.”

Obama has largely refrained from publicly opining on the Democratic primary, which has exposed a growing rift between an ascendant progressive wing of the party and old-guard centrists like his former vice president, Joe Biden. But on Friday he said he felt compelled to weigh in because some of the loudest and most strident voices, particularly on social media, aren’t representative of where most in the party are at.

Immigration and health care are two issues he cited as cases where Democratic candidates are out of sync with public sentiment.

“Even as we push the envelope and we are bold in our vision, we also have to be rooted in reality and the fact that voters, including the Democratic voters and certainly persuadable independents or even moderate Republicans, are not driven by the same views that are reflected on certain, you know, left-leaning Twitter feeds,” Obama said.

Obama delivered his remarks at a gathering of the Democracy Alliance, a group of wealthy Democrats who raise large sums for the party. He was interviewed by Stacey Abrams, a rising star in the party who narrowly lost the Georgia governor’s race last year.

He also sought also to ease jittery Democrats who have been wringing their hands over the size of the sprawling field, which some worry will lead to a prolonged contest that will leave the eventual nominee with limited time to prepare for the general election.

“I just have to remind you that I had a very robust primary,” Obama said. “Not only did I win ultimately a remarkably tough and lengthy primary process with Hillary Clinton, but people forget that even before that we had a big field of really serious, accomplished people.”

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    mcgruff10 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-cautions-democratic-hopefuls-tacking-030432024.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former President Barack Obama on Friday warned the Democratic field of White House hopefuls not to veer too far to the left, a move he said would alienate many who would otherwise be open to voting for the party’s nominee next year.

Though Obama did not mention anyone by name, the message delivered before a room of Democratic donors in Washington was a clear word of caution about the candidacies of Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. The two have called for massive structural changes — and in Sanders’ case “revolution” — that would dramatically alter the role of government in people’s lives.

The centrist wing of the party has warned for months that a far-left nominee could alienate moderate Republicans and independent voters needed to oust President Donald Trump.

“The average American doesn't think we have to completely tear down the system and remake it. And I think it's important for us not to lose sight of that,” Obama said. “There are a lot of persuadable voters and there are a lot of Democrats out there who just want to see things make sense. They just don't want to see crazy stuff. They want to see things a little more fair, they want to see things a little more just. And how we approach that I think will be important.”

Obama has largely refrained from publicly opining on the Democratic primary, which has exposed a growing rift between an ascendant progressive wing of the party and old-guard centrists like his former vice president, Joe Biden. But on Friday he said he felt compelled to weigh in because some of the loudest and most strident voices, particularly on social media, aren’t representative of where most in the party are at.

Immigration and health care are two issues he cited as cases where Democratic candidates are out of sync with public sentiment.

“Even as we push the envelope and we are bold in our vision, we also have to be rooted in reality and the fact that voters, including the Democratic voters and certainly persuadable independents or even moderate Republicans, are not driven by the same views that are reflected on certain, you know, left-leaning Twitter feeds,” Obama said.

Obama delivered his remarks at a gathering of the Democracy Alliance, a group of wealthy Democrats who raise large sums for the party. He was interviewed by Stacey Abrams, a rising star in the party who narrowly lost the Georgia governor’s race last year.

He also sought also to ease jittery Democrats who have been wringing their hands over the size of the sprawling field, which some worry will lead to a prolonged contest that will leave the eventual nominee with limited time to prepare for the general election.

“I just have to remind you that I had a very robust primary,” Obama said. “Not only did I win ultimately a remarkably tough and lengthy primary process with Hillary Clinton, but people forget that even before that we had a big field of really serious, accomplished people.”

can I have more , sir?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I'm not sure how many here believe in the Deep State Theory, (I find the whole thing rather disjointed) but having read a bit about all that lately, a question comes to mind:  If there is a Deep State and it is this Deep State is, as some declare, in cahoots with a Democratic Party's plot that is working toward the impeachment of Trump, why has the Dem Party not been able to use that tremendous power they supposedly wield to come up with a rock solid Dem candidate for the presidential election of 2020? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    brianlux said:
    I'm not sure how many here believe in the Deep State Theory, (I find the whole thing rather disjointed) but having read a bit about all that lately, a question comes to mind:  If there is a Deep State and it is this Deep State is, as some declare, in cahoots with a Democratic Party's plot that is working toward the impeachment of Trump, why has the Dem Party not been able to use that tremendous power they supposedly wield to come up with a rock solid Dem candidate for the presidential election of 2020? 

Congratulations, Brian, you seem to have just identified gaping hole #437 in Deep State Theory!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Congratulations, Brian, you seem to have just identified gaping hole #437 in Deep State Theory!
    I'm not surprised there are so many holes in the theory, Ben.  And yet otherwise perfectly intelligent people obsess over it!

A few years ago, Rolling Stone summarized it well:

"Is there actually a deep state? If you mean entrenched bureaucracy, then of course there is. If you mean a government-wide conspiracy, then the answer is almost certainly no."

Or as this article ( https://www.lawfareblog.com/deep-state-myth-and-real-executive-branch-bureaucracy ) describes it,  "...other accounts use the term more loosely to identify what are probably better described as elite interests and power brokers, a quite possibly troubling but not terribly surprising—or secret—phenomenon, nor one that is unique to Washington."

What's disturbing is that Trump is using these fears of  "Deep State" to rally his rabid fans into believing the Democratic party is part of this so-called conspiracy.  Which takes us back to why then does the Democratic party not have a stronger candidate in the running?  Let's just call it #437:smile:

Like many, I'm frustrated with having no Dem I can feel really strong about, but I will vote strictly party-line Democrat this time around, even knowing the California electoral college votes will go Dem, regardless.  (I voted Green Party in 2016 knowing the electoral college would go to Hillary.)  In 2020, for me, it has to be, at the very least, a protest vote against Trump.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    Me?  I'm gen x baby! (1977)
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    Yup, something that was kinda funny is becoming an ignorant thing for people to say when they know they are right after all 20 years of their life
    hippiemom = goodness
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    Yup, something that was kinda funny is becoming an ignorant thing for people to say when they know they are right after all 20 years of their life
    Ironically, they're answering to people 20+ years their senior who were once 20 and positive they were right, were shown they were wrong for the subsequent 20+ years, and to this day avoid revisiting those assumptions they formed at 20. I'm not saying which of either youthfulness or the wisdom that comes with age is superior, but both perspectives bring something different to the table, and neither is without shortcomings.

For me it's kind of funny - I'll be 30 this coming year, and I started chatting on here at 15 (and this is the place I credit with my love of politics), so I think I'll always have imposter's syndrome about having an unearned adult opinion. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    Not you. Obama. His second “OK, Boomer” moment in as many weeks. 

EDIT: This was his first (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/politics/obama-woke-cancel-culture.html). Maybe he just missed his nap that day. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 

EDIT: This was his first (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/politics/obama-woke-cancel-culture.html). Maybe he just missed his nap that day. 
    I 100% agree with him in both instances.
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 
    Ironically, they're answering to people 20+ years their senior who were once 20 and positive they were right, were shown they were wrong for the subsequent 20+ years, and to this day avoid revisiting those assumptions they formed at 20. I'm not saying which of either youthfulness or the wisdom that comes with age is superior, but both perspectives bring something different to the table, and neither is without shortcomings.

For me it's kind of funny - I'll be 30 this coming year, and I started chatting on here at 15 (and this is the place I credit with my love of politics), so I think I'll always have imposter's syndrome about having an unearned adult opinion. 
    I would honestly say you have wisdom beyond your years, Grasshopper!

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 

So this is now the official phrase of not having a compelling counter-argument?  I'll make note.  
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Haha, okay Boomer.

Biden says he won't legalize marijuana because it may be a 'gateway drug'

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/470861-biden-says-he-wont-legalize-marijuana-because-it-may-be-a-gateway-drug
    dignin said:
    Haha, okay Boomer.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/470861-biden-says-he-wont-legalize-marijuana-because-it-may-be-a-gateway-drug
    He's probably just trying to sway some of those votes from republican who don't like Trump but who would never vote for one of the more hard-left leaning candidates.

Besides, sometimes Joe himself looks like he's been through the gate a few times. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

EDIT:

Rather:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    dignin said:
    Haha, okay Boomer.

yo fuck that.  nice knowing you.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    ikiT said:
    dignin said:
    Haha, okay Boomer.

Did you read the article or just the headline?  While I'm not aligned with him on this issue, it sure as hell isn't my make or break one either.  If Trump ran against Biden and declared that he supported Fed legalization, would you vote for Trump over Biden?

Biden, as he has throughout his time on the campaign trail, said he supports medical marijuana and insisted possession of the substance "should not be a crime."

But he also said Saturday that he thinks the decision to legalize marijuana should be left up to individual states.

“States should be able to make a judgment to legalize marijuana,” he said at the town hall.

As for legalization on a federal level, Biden said more research is needed.

edited November 2019
    nvm
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Politicians rushing to legalize Marijuana is as populistic as building a wall to keep brown people out.
    I do not understand this at all.  Can you expound?
    edited November 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Politicians rushing to legalize Marijuana is as populistic as building a wall to keep brown people out.
    I do not understand this at all.  Can you expound?
    Sorry. I forgot I'm on "probation" and wandered off into AMT without thinking. I do not want to get banned, for reasons I bet i like last time I will disagree with. 

Do not wish to get into any discussions.

So look past my post instead. 

I delete the post.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I love Biden but he comes across like a dinosaur some times. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

OK, Boomer. 

OK, Lenny Eels.

You eels gotta prove you are gonna actually show up and vote in bigger numbers than those  big bad boomers. 

Until that happens, it's been a cataclysmic misjudgment by Warren to  support such extremist policies that will turn independents away from the democratic party in droves. This ain't Sweden.  Yet.

• ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    dignin said:
    Haha, okay Boomer.

Did you read the article or just the headline?  While I'm not aligned with him on this issue, it sure as hell isn't my make or break one either.  If Trump ran against Biden and declared that he supported Fed legalization, would you vote for Trump over Biden?

Biden, as he has throughout his time on the campaign trail, said he supports medical marijuana and insisted possession of the substance "should not be a crime."

But he also said Saturday that he thinks the decision to legalize marijuana should be left up to individual states.

“States should be able to make a judgment to legalize marijuana,” he said at the town hall.

As for legalization on a federal level, Biden said more research is needed.

He will not have my primary support.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
This discussion has been closed.