The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    JimmyV said:
    If Bernie wins the nomination, any Democrat who refuses to help him win the White House will be helping Trump and the Republicans. Inadvertently or otherwise. 
    It’s not the Democrats Bernie needs to win. And if it’s not Bernie, what do all the Berniebrosises do? I know the answer and that’s a rub. Bernie’s not a 50/50 guy. Hell, he’s not even a dem.
    WHATABOUTTHEBERNIEBROS?!?!?
    So establishment Dems are no better than "Bernie Bros?" Just think of all the fun this Democratic coalition can have fighting with itself for another four more years. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    So this is sort of funny. Garth Brooks played a concert in Detroit last night and wore a BARRY Sanders jersey, and posted a picture of him wearing it on Instagram. Talk about "triggered," a bunch of dumbasses on the right attacked him for being a BERNIE Sanders supporter, and a bunch of dumbasses on the left praised him for coming over to their side. 

"You people mistook me for who?"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    So this is sort of funny. Garth Brooks played a concert in Detroit last night and wore a BARRY Sanders jersey, and posted a picture of him wearing it on Instagram. Talk about "triggered," a bunch of dumbasses on the right attacked him for being a BERNIE Sanders supporter, and a bunch of dumbasses on the left praised him for coming over to their side. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited February 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    if bernie wins he's choosing either kamala or pete. for obvious reasons. I'd personally go with kamala. 
    What makes you think Kamala or Peter are going to drag their good name through the mud by hitching a ride to that dumpster fire?

Nobody with any sort of reputation is actually going to want to be Bernie's vp.
    I bet many with a reputation would want to be the most favorable and beloved senators vp. 
    but enough about Biden

I would be very surprised if any of the other candidates agreed to be bernie's vp

Agree.  I can see Sanders going after a Stacey Abrams.
    that's a losing ticket if there ever was one
    Let's be honest though.  Anyone with Sanders has you saying that.  
    Because it is the truth.  
    Bernie is winning in head to head polls over your pick of the two Trump. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2020
    What was the ratio of dumbasses? I doubt it was equal ”bunches” ?

and why would someone be a dumbass for not knowing some sport-guy and being happy they show support for a good guy (bernie) ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/politics/sanders-trump-2020-general/index.html

This suggest Bernie is worse than average democrat.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    If Bernie wins the nomination, any Democrat who refuses to help him win the White House will be helping Trump and the Republicans. Inadvertently or otherwise. 
    It’s not the Democrats Bernie needs to win. And if it’s not Bernie, what do all the Berniebrosises do? I know the answer and that’s a rub. Bernie’s not a 50/50 guy. Hell, he’s not even a dem.
    So establishment Dems are no better than "Bernie Bros?" Just think of all the fun this Democratic coalition can have fighting with itself for another four more years. 
    No, I’m thinking, and personally I do for myself, that supporters of any other dem candidate, the vast majority of which, will vote for Bernie if he’s the nominee. If Bernie is not the nominee, I don’t think the same is true of the Berniebrosises, the vast majority of which will pout and stay home or vote third party. It’s a zero sum game for them. For the rest of us dems, getting Team Trump Treason out of office is more important than our pure as the driven snow politics. Bernie isn’t a dem.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • So this is sort of funny. Garth Brooks played a concert in Detroit last night and wore a BARRY Sanders jersey, and posted a picture of him wearing it on Instagram. Talk about "triggered," a bunch of dumbasses on the right attacked him for being a BERNIE Sanders supporter, and a bunch of dumbasses on the left praised him for coming over to their side. 

and why would someone be a dumbass for not knowing some sport-guy and being happy they show support for a good guy (bernie) ?
    Lol, you might be the Bernie Bro to end all Bernie Bros. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    So much angst about Iowa (justified, IMO) and New Hampshire (less so) shaping the race, but South Carolina hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee since Jimmy Carter. It's hard for me to really care about who Democrats there think should be on the ticket this year.  
    Then you also shouldn't care what TX, CA, NY, ME, MD and 40 some other states think either.  
    What?
    If SC isn't voting for a Democrat either way, then you're right.  Who cares.  But CA and NY ARE voting for a Democrat, no matter who, so why do you care about that?  The same logic applies.  Under that logic, the only primaries that matter are FL, MI, PA, WI, and maybe AZ, CO, VA.  The rest, you can just scrap.  
    South Carolina isn't voting for a Democrat either way. That is the point. And, yes, I do believe the SC primary could be scrapped. 
    So why not scrap NY?  They are voting D either way.  Like I said, just let swing states vote and concentrate all the campaigning and debates into the 8 or 10 swing states.  If we don't care what our SC party members think, then logically we shouldn't care what the NY members think.  
    Because New York might not always vote Democrat and keeping voters there inspired is important. Because asking voters you need to win who they think is the best choice is important.  
    So SC can never possibly vote Democrat, so don't bother to give them a voice?  These arguments cut both ways.   
    If there was a realistic chance of South Carolina voting Democrat in the near future, or any history at all of them doing so in my lifetime, I would not be making this case. There is neither. And I would be fine with scrapping the SC primary altogether, but my greater point is that, of all the early states, South Carolina should have the least say in who the Democratic nominee will be in 2020. At the very least move it to the back of the line. 

SC is important not because it never votes D in the general, thats not the issue.

SC is the first test to see how enthusiastic the D base is. You can infer based on turnout in the SC primary how the base might turn out in swing states in the fall.

SC is also important because Biden needs momentum going into Super Tuesday. If Sanders gets a blowout in Cali and splits the rest of the states evenly Tues, that could spell trouble for voters wanting a democrat on the ticket in Nov. 
    South Carolina is neither a swing state nor a good indicator of Democratic base turnout. Iowa voted for Obama in 2008. New Hampshire has been blue since 2004 but historically has not been as reliably Democratic as other New England states. Both would paint a better picture of turnout and enthusiasm than South Carolina.

Jimmy Carter. 1976. Red state ever since.

Obama and Bill won because the base was energized. I didn't define the "democratic base" here yet  but the SC African American vote represents 60% of the democratic vote.

SC Turnout and who they vote for will provide important information for candidates, especially Biden.

The African American vote in SC and other southern states are important hints to how the african american vote will turn out in swing states. 
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    No, I’m thinking, and personally I do for myself, that supporters of any other dem candidate, the vast majority of which, will vote for Bernie if he’s the nominee. If Bernie is not the nominee, I don’t think the same is true of the Berniebrosises, the vast majority of which will pout and stay home or vote third party. It’s a zero sum game for them. For the rest of us dems, getting Team Trump Treason out of office is more important than our pure as the driven snow politics. Bernie isn’t a dem.
    That's good to hear. 

edited February 2020

Lol, you might be the Bernie Bro to end all Bernie Bros. 
    You mean ”bernie brorsa”. I’m swedish. Please respect my heritage. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193

If someone is wearing a football jersey the first thing to rule out is that the name and number might belong to a Hall of Fame football player 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    Consider yourself warned that this is Deion Sanders and not at all related to an inauguration date

edited February 2020
    With Tim Kaine endorsing Biden and Biden thinking he is running for the senate and not the presidency — now is truly the time to get a ticket to Bide! * choo choo*
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:

If someone is wearing a football jersey the first thing to rule out is that the name and number might belong to a Hall of Fame football player 
    Yes. Obviously. 

But there is a difference between:

”SOMETHING-SOMETHING COMMUNIST PIG”

and

”THANK YOU FOR HELPING OUT THE FIGHT FOR HEALTH CARE!”

JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    So much angst about Iowa (justified, IMO) and New Hampshire (less so) shaping the race, but South Carolina hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee since Jimmy Carter. It's hard for me to really care about who Democrats there think should be on the ticket this year.  
    Then you also shouldn't care what TX, CA, NY, ME, MD and 40 some other states think either.  
    What?
    If SC isn't voting for a Democrat either way, then you're right.  Who cares.  But CA and NY ARE voting for a Democrat, no matter who, so why do you care about that?  The same logic applies.  Under that logic, the only primaries that matter are FL, MI, PA, WI, and maybe AZ, CO, VA.  The rest, you can just scrap.  
    South Carolina isn't voting for a Democrat either way. That is the point. And, yes, I do believe the SC primary could be scrapped. 
    So why not scrap NY?  They are voting D either way.  Like I said, just let swing states vote and concentrate all the campaigning and debates into the 8 or 10 swing states.  If we don't care what our SC party members think, then logically we shouldn't care what the NY members think.  
    Because New York might not always vote Democrat and keeping voters there inspired is important. Because asking voters you need to win who they think is the best choice is important.  
    So SC can never possibly vote Democrat, so don't bother to give them a voice?  These arguments cut both ways.   
    If there was a realistic chance of South Carolina voting Democrat in the near future, or any history at all of them doing so in my lifetime, I would not be making this case. There is neither. And I would be fine with scrapping the SC primary altogether, but my greater point is that, of all the early states, South Carolina should have the least say in who the Democratic nominee will be in 2020. At the very least move it to the back of the line. 

SC is important not because it never votes D in the general, thats not the issue.

SC is the first test to see how enthusiastic the D base is. You can infer based on turnout in the SC primary how the base might turn out in swing states in the fall.

SC is also important because Biden needs momentum going into Super Tuesday. If Sanders gets a blowout in Cali and splits the rest of the states evenly Tues, that could spell trouble for voters wanting a democrat on the ticket in Nov. 
    South Carolina is neither a swing state nor a good indicator of Democratic base turnout. Iowa voted for Obama in 2008. New Hampshire has been blue since 2004 but historically has not been as reliably Democratic as other New England states. Both would paint a better picture of turnout and enthusiasm than South Carolina.

Obama and Bill won because the base was energized. I didn't define the "democratic base" here yet  but the SC African American vote represents 60% of the democratic vote.

SC Turnout and who they vote for will provide important information for candidates, especially Biden.

The African American vote in SC and other southern states are important hints to how the african american vote will turn out in swing states. 
    Helped the cause a ton in 2016. Those margins Hillary racked up in SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, etc. during February and March really paid dividends in November. 

brianlux said:

:rofl:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    The only reason @cincybearcat doesn't like Trump (president #45) is it reminds him of the only two time Heisman winner.  

• brianlux said:

I must say, this one wasn't bad. So this one is for you, since you're the lord of the memes....

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    mrussel1 said:
    The only reason @cincybearcat doesn't like Trump (president #45) is it reminds him of the only two time Heisman winner.  

Both cheaters :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1 said:

As a one of the world's foremost appreciator of Michael Jordan's baseball career, I'm not big on Trump highjacking the number 45. 

Do you think Trump knows that despite being the 45th president, he's actually the 44th person to be president? Everyone learns about Grover Cleveland's non-consecutive terms in like 7th grade. You think Trump knows it? I doubt it. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mrussel1 said:

As a one of the world's foremost appreciator of Michael Jordan's baseball career, I'm not big on Trump highjacking the number 45. 

Do you think Trump knows that despite being the 45th president, he's actually the 44th person to be president? Everyone learns about Grover Cleveland's non-consecutive terms in like 7th grade. You think Trump knows it? I doubt it. 
    No, to your second question.  
    To the first statement, are you sure you're not the ONLY appreciator?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No, to your second question.  
    To the first statement, are you sure you're not the ONLY appreciator?
    There's not many of us. That's for sure. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?

Helped the cause a ton in 2016. Those margins Hillary racked up in SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, etc. during February and March really paid dividends in November. 

I'm not saying "helped." Just saying it provides interesting information.

2008 was a big win for obama and 2016 indicated the base did not trust sanders. Considering his strength was completely outside the south that was interesting information. 

Biden has been punched by trump on a historic level, and by the dems as well. Hell get some momentum if he wins but there's not enough time to raise $ for tuesday.

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    mrussel1 said:

If he did, he'd try to change it to him being the 44th president.

I just Found out that Grover Cincinatie is the 22nd and 24th President. No way some LOSER from the 1400's should get to be listed TWICE when Your favorite president (who's going to Serve AT LEAST FIVE terms) is only listed once.  Unfair!  I am 44.  Actually, I am 43 because Obama's from Kenya.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • You can’t even have a nice friday night in front of the TV without being exposed to the god damn Phony Pete fans. EVENING RUINED

You can’t even have a nice friday night in front of the TV without being exposed to the god damn Phony Pete fans. EVENING RUINED

Just curious- which Pete fans do you see as phony?  Or do you see them as generally all being phony?  Honestly curious- I'd never heard that one before. 

This discussion has been closed.