The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    edited February 2020
    You know was Elizabeth Warren was speaking about education during the debate I really felt like Bloomberg or someone missed a huge opportunity.  Should have turned to her and said, "Elizabeth, Love your passion on this topic.  You'll make a great Secretary of Education in my administration"

At which point Warren would have chewed him up and spit him out.

You think she doesn't prep for this sort of scenario?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    CM189191 said:
    You know was Elizabeth Warren was speaking about education during the debate I really felt like Bloomberg or someone missed a huge opportunity.  Should have turned to her and said, "Elizabeth, Love your passion on this topic.  You'll make a great Secretary of Education in my administration"

What if he would have said "Hon, you'll make an adorable sec'y of education in my admin, way better than that woofer Betsy."  
    Would that be okay?  Asking for a friend/candidate.  
  • CM189191 said:

President Warren has knows the right way to pick a Secretary of Education...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk-yvUOQm0E
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So Vegas still says Bernie or Biden, basically.  And as people not named Warren drop, the odds will swing closer to Biden.  

* - edit, wait a minute.  What has happened in the last two days that has moved the numbers toward Biden?  Is it simply the most recent SC polling?  I saw that Biden has reasserted a lead in FL over Bernie too.  The Castro stuff does not play well there.  
    Purely anecdotal but I saw a couple polls early in the week with Bernie and Biden virtually tied in SC. Post-debate the ones I've seen have Biden with like a 20 point lead. If all that is right, I guess it means they see him as pulling ahead in that moderate lane.
    Clyburn endorsed Biden yesterday
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    So much angst about Iowa (justified, IMO) and New Hampshire (less so) shaping the race, but South Carolina hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee since Jimmy Carter. It's hard for me to really care about who Democrats there think should be on the ticket this year.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So Vegas still says Bernie or Biden, basically.  And as people not named Warren drop, the odds will swing closer to Biden.  

* - edit, wait a minute.  What has happened in the last two days that has moved the numbers toward Biden?  Is it simply the most recent SC polling?  I saw that Biden has reasserted a lead in FL over Bernie too.  The Castro stuff does not play well there.  
    Purely anecdotal but I saw a couple polls early in the week with Bernie and Biden virtually tied in SC. Post-debate the ones I've seen have Biden with like a 20 point lead. If all that is right, I guess it means they see him as pulling ahead in that moderate lane.
    Clyburn endorsed Biden yesterday
    That would certainly help, too
    JimmyV said:
    So much angst about Iowa (justified, IMO) and New Hampshire (less so) shaping the race, but South Carolina hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee since Jimmy Carter. It's hard for me to really care about who Democrats there think should be on the ticket this year.  
    Then you also shouldn't care what TX, CA, NY, ME, MD and 40 some other states think either.  
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Then you also shouldn't care what TX, CA, NY, ME, MD and 40 some other states think either.  
    What?

JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    If SC isn't voting for a Democrat either way, then you're right.  Who cares.  But CA and NY ARE voting for a Democrat, no matter who, so why do you care about that?  The same logic applies.  Under that logic, the only primaries that matter are FL, MI, PA, WI, and maybe AZ, CO, VA.  The rest, you can just scrap.  
    Are you comparing CA, NY, ME and MD to...South Carolina? Texas, fine, but at least Beto's race was close. 

mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    If SC isn't voting for a Democrat either way, then you're right.  Who cares.  But CA and NY ARE voting for a Democrat, no matter who, so why do you care about that?  The same logic applies.  Under that logic, the only primaries that matter are FL, MI, PA, WI, and maybe AZ, CO, VA.  The rest, you can just scrap.  
    South Carolina isn't voting for a Democrat either way. That is the point. And, yes, I do believe the SC primary could be scrapped. 

JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    South Carolina isn't voting for a Democrat either way. That is the point. And, yes, I do believe the SC primary could be scrapped. 
    So why not scrap NY?  They are voting D either way.  Like I said, just let swing states vote and concentrate all the campaigning and debates into the 8 or 10 swing states.  If we don't care what our SC party members think, then logically we shouldn't care what the NY members think.  
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    So why not scrap NY?  They are voting D either way.  Like I said, just let swing states vote and concentrate all the campaigning and debates into the 8 or 10 swing states.  If we don't care what our SC party members think, then logically we shouldn't care what the NY members think.  
    Because New York might not always vote Democrat and keeping voters there inspired is important. Because asking voters you need to win who they think is the best choice is important.  

You know, that would be an interesting strategy for a party.

Figure out what you consider to be swing states and only hold primaries there. Solid red states won't vote D no matter what. Solid blue states will vote D no matter what. Find out which candidate is preferred in the states where you have to duke it out.
    People would lose their mind because it's Not What We're Used To but there's a strategic argument to be made
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    Because New York might not always vote Democrat and keeping voters there inspired is important. Because asking voters you need to win who they think is the best choice is important.  
    So SC can never possibly vote Democrat, so don't bother to give them a voice?  These arguments cut both ways.   
    pjl44 said:

Figure out what you consider to be swing states and only hold primaries there. Solid red states won't vote D no matter what. Solid blue states will vote D no matter what. Find out which candidate is preferred in the states where you have to duke it out.
    I think it's a recipe for failure.  It will decimate your party at the non-swing state level and possibly negatively affect down ballot and local races.  My argument is tongue in cheek completely.  I could get behind a 3 Super Tuesdays (vs all voting in one day) or some other type of calendar, but I would not support a swing state-only primary. 
    Clinton won NY by 22
    Trump won SC by 14
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    So SC can never possibly vote Democrat, so don't bother to give them a voice?  These arguments cut both ways.   
    If there was a realistic chance of South Carolina voting Democrat in the near future, or any history at all of them doing so in my lifetime, I would not be making this case. There is neither. And I would be fine with scrapping the SC primary altogether, but my greater point is that, of all the early states, South Carolina should have the least say in who the Democratic nominee will be in 2020. At the very least move it to the back of the line. 

JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    If there was a realistic chance of South Carolina voting Democrat in the near future, or any history at all of them doing so in my lifetime, I would not be making this case. There is neither. And I would be fine with scrapping the SC primary altogether, but my greater point is that, of all the early states, South Carolina should have the least say in who the Democratic nominee will be in 2020. At the very least move it to the back of the line. 
    I know you don't mean it this way, but here's how that would play...  You're basically telling the 60% of Dems in SC that are black to move to the back (of the bus).  That won't play well.  Remember, this is why that state is an important bellweather, it's the first one that is diverse.  
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

I think it's a recipe for failure.  It will decimate your party at the non-swing state level and possibly negatively affect down ballot and local races.  My argument is tongue in cheek completely.  I could get behind a 3 Super Tuesdays (vs all voting in one day) or some other type of calendar, but I would not support a swing state-only primary. 
    Man, I don't know. There was an NBC/WSJ poll a week or so ago where Bernie had a 12 point lead. If you just pulled out respondents from what they identified as swing states it was Biden by 1. Kinda interesting. 
    It would never happen because it's Not What We're Used To Doing but....a little interesting 
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    I know you don't mean it this way, but here's how that would play...  You're basically telling the 60% of Dems in SC that are black to move to the back (of the bus).  That won't play well.  Remember, this is why that state is an important bellweather, it's the first one that is diverse.  
    That's how it would play on cable news and in the twittersphere. I don't care about that. I also don't believe that people of color in South Carolina necessarily have the same thoughts and concerns as those in Michigan or Pennsylvania. As far as bellweathers go, South Carolina is a poor one. 

pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Man, I don't know. There was an NBC/WSJ poll a week or so ago where Bernie had a 12 point lead. If you just pulled out respondents from what they identified as swing states it was Biden by 1. Kinda interesting. 
    Was it in a head to head only, or are you saying it's Biden by 1 with all candidates in the race?  I ask because I would bet if there were only two candidates (Bernie + Moderate), the moderate wins by more than +1, nationwide.  Bernie's lead has something to do with Warren's current weakness, and the mediocre strength of the four moderates.  
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    That's how it would play on cable news and in the twittersphere. I don't care about that. I also don't believe that people of color in South Carolina necessarily have the same thoughts and concerns as those in Michigan or Pennsylvania. As far as bellweathers go, South Carolina is a poor one. 
    I don't know enough about AA voting patterns to say that the AA community in SC has a different set of priorities and beliefs than those communities in PA, MI, etc.  
    Obama NY +23
    Romney SC +10

Obama NY +26
    McCain SC +9

Kerry NY +18
    Bush SC +17

Gore NY +25
    Bush SC +16
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Was it in a head to head only, or are you saying it's Biden by 1 with all candidates in the race?  I ask because I would bet if there were only two candidates (Bernie + Moderate), the moderate wins by more than +1, nationwide.  Bernie's lead has something to do with Warren's current weakness, and the mediocre strength of the four moderates.  
    Both numbers are with the full field and I agree with the rest of your post
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What?
    I don't know enough about AA voting patterns to say that the AA community in SC has a different set of priorities and beliefs than those communities in PA, MI, etc.  
    They might very well have the same priorities, but I think it is a mistake to simply assume that they do. That's pretty much what we do when we look to South Carolina as an indicator. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited February 2020
    if bernie wins he's choosing either kamala or pete. for obvious reasons. I'd personally go with kamala. 
    why would he pick anyone of those?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191 said:
    if bernie wins he's choosing either kamala or pete. for obvious reasons. I'd personally go with kamala. 
    What makes you think Kamala or Peter are going to drag their good name through the mud by hitching a ride to that dumpster fire?

Nobody with any sort of reputation is actually going to want to be Bernie's vp.
    I bet many with a reputation would want to be the most favorable and beloved senators vp. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.