The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Does anyone know who we write to if we think one of the moderators is racist?
    I think they know you're just trying to stir shit with your "On Whiteness" thread. 
    These boards have a big time whiteness problem; I thought we should talk about it. I guess the mods are anti-anti-racist. 
    Those damn moderators. Censoring a college professor who just wants to show us all the way. 
    Someone just got banned. 

Permanent? What did I miss today? Uh oh there is a white related closed topic. 
    Should have been clarified when closed why it was.  transparancy etc 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Just checked in and looking at the gorgeous capital of our mixed economy, here in the Financial District.   Granted it's not as pretty as Stalingrad, as I don't see any trains to Siberia filled with dissidents,  but one can hope one day we'll achieve the Marxist dream that is so successful. 

We watched miracle in class today.  I swear all the Russian hickey players were probably killed after that olympics. Can’t bekieve it was forty years ago yesterday. 
    A bunch of them went on to play in the NHL. (Many years after, though.)

One in fact, went on to win four consecutive Stanley cups. Take that King Henrik.
    I loved henrik for a long time but he is done.  The new Russian goalie is the real deal.  
    Side note: my favorite player of all time is Adam graves. 

F #9 - overrated!  :lol:                      (busting Rangers chops is a favorite past time of mine, my brother is a hard core Rangers fan)
    1994 was a loooooong time ago. 
    Are you Devils or Rangers?

He is Yankees, so almost has to be Yankees/Giants/Rangers, right?  They tend to align...  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Did you know that Bernie is the best at sports out of all the candidates?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Just checked in and looking at the gorgeous capital of our mixed economy, here in the Financial District.   Granted it's not as pretty as Stalingrad, as I don't see any trains to Siberia filled with dissidents,  but one can hope one day we'll achieve the Marxist dream that is so successful. 

We watched miracle in class today.  I swear all the Russian hickey players were probably killed after that olympics. Can’t bekieve it was forty years ago yesterday. 
    I did not know that.  None of the us players went pro from what I remember.  
    Several did go pro, but only a handful had sustained pro careers...and even those that did were crazy young at that point.  Neal Broten, for example, arguably the best NHLer of the bunch was 19, I think.  I think it's hard to relate to nowadays given what the Olympics are but a bunch of US college players beating out the best team in the world was truly bonkers.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

One in fact, went on to win four consecutive Stanley cups. Take that King Henrik.
    I loved henrik for a long time but he is done.  The new Russian goalie is the real deal.  

F #9 - overrated!  :lol:                      (busting Rangers chops is a favorite past time of mine, my brother is a hard core Rangers fan)
    Long suffering rangers fan. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He is Yankees, so almost has to be Yankees/Giants/Rangers, right?  They tend to align...  ;)
    That would be correct.  Norte dame for college football. 

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That would be correct.  Norte dame for college football. 

NORTE Dame. some fan....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    This is the kind of republican democrats need in December...
    https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/483844-ill-sit-out-this-presidential-election-because-of-the-yahoos-running

I'll sit out this presidential election because of the yahoos running

BY BERNARD GOLDBERG, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 02/24/20 09:00 AM EST  2,680

When former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger was asked what he thought about the Iran-Iraq war, he said, “It’s a pity they both can’t lose.”

Funny, but that’s how I feel about Donald Trump and whomever the Democrats pick to run against him in November.

Let’s start with the president. I’m a Republican, a conservative, and I wish I could vote for him. But I can’t. It’s not his policies that annoy the heck out of me. It’s he who annoys the heck out of me.

He is a man of bad character. A good man, someone who is decent, doesn’t enjoy humiliating people — something that President Trump does with unfortunate regularity.

It’s not enough for him to tell his gazillion Twitter followers that Michael Bloomberg is too liberal and doesn’t deserve to be elected. Instead, he tweets that “Mini Mike Bloomberg is a LOSER.”

Mini Mike? What does former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s height have to do with anything? It’s a cheap shot designed to embarrass a political opponent. It’s childish.

He says Bloomberg is a “5 foot 4 mass of dead energy” who wants to stand on a box at presidential debates to avoid looking short.

Where’d that come from? There’s no evidence that Bloomberg ever said he wanted to stand on a box, and according to his medical records, he’s 5 feet, 7 inches, not 5 feet, 4 inches.

So what if Trump just made it up. Among the traits I don’t like about him is that he lies with frequency. Over matters big and small, important and insignificant.

It’s too bad that Trump has so many character flaws. Too bad because, as I say, I want to vote for the Republican candidate for president; yet, thanks to Trump, I won’t be voting for him in November.

That I find him so unlikeable, in case you’re wondering, won’t drive me into the arms of the Democrats. Their party has lurched so far to the left that I couldn’t possibly support any of their candidates. 

Even the Democrats’ “moderates” are left-wingers. They don’t see the same America I do. Their America is a dark place, where only the super-rich are doing well, where ordinary Americans need two or three jobs to put food on the table, a place where racism is ingrained in the nation’s DNA. For Democrats running for president, the glass is always half empty — if that. 

And Democrats were out to impeach Trump from the moment he was elected in 2016. You don’t have to like our president to dislike that. There’s no way I’d vote for any of them.

I thought Trump was civil and, yes, even presidential, during his State of the Union address. I thought that, maybe, he had turned a corner. That, who knows, maybe we were going to see a new Donald Trump right up to the election.

Two days later, he thanked the pols who supported him during impeachment, telling them — on national television in the White House — that "it was all bullshit.” He can’t help himself. 

I grew up in a blue-collar neighborhood in the South Bronx and, while we didn’t have a lot of money back then, we did have values. It was a tough neighborhood but I don’t remember any of the grownups using words like “bullshit” in public. And the idea that a U.S. president would talk like that out in the open was unheard of — not possible.

Everybody in the neighborhood was a Democrat, but my parents and all the other grownups back then could never support free medical care for people who sneak into this country — not when they had to pay their own medical bills with the little money they had.

And if any Democrat back then had suggested that felons in prison be allowed to vote, as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has suggested, they would have thought it was a joke.

Given the choice between hanging on to their jobs and disrupting the national economy with something like a Green New Deal — well, that would have been a no-brainer.

I’m not sure how they would have felt about abortion, but I am sure of this: They’d never have supported abortion with absolutely no restrictions.

We were a blue-collar family, as I say, but I never heard my parents bash the banks or big corporations, the way today’s progressives do. I never heard them vilify millionaires and billionaires.

So, if you haven’t already figured it out, I’ll be sitting out the presidential election in November, just as I did in 2016.

Some people have told me that it’s anti-American to boycott an election, that Americans fought and died for my right to vote and that I am disrespecting them by not voting.

Sorry, I don’t buy that. But even if you believe that it’s somehow unpatriotic to sit out an election, don’t blame me. Blame the yahoos running for president.

I guess I can be persuaded to change my mind and vote for a president in November. If Trump decides he can’t win and drops out, and Nikki Haley jumps in, I’ll vote.

As for the Democrats, I’m with Ronald Reagan: They left me, I didn’t leave them.

So, in November, I’ll be exercising my right not to vote — my way of saying that I refuse to throw away my vote on candidates not worthy, as I see it, of the position of president of the United States of America. My way of saying, “Henry Kissinger, you were right: It really is too bad both sides can’t lose.”

www.myspace.com
    @The Juggler awesome article. It really resonated with me.  
    Mickey: Notre Dame!!!! (Damn auto correct)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think you meant to type THE Ohio State University
  • NJIT
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    NJIT
    Yes of course. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited February 2020
    This is the kind of republican democrats need in December...
    https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/483844-ill-sit-out-this-presidential-election-because-of-the-yahoos-running

It’s too bad that Trump has so many character flaws. Too bad because, as I say, I want to vote for the Republican candidate for president; yet, thanks to Trump, I won’t be voting for him in November.

This was me in 2016. I was ready to vote Republican for the first time in my life. Even Jeb! would have sufficed. But not The Donald. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Post from Dan Rather on Adbook.....

Ok. Let's talk. We've been meeting here a lot over the years, and I value our candor and sense of community.

Let's start with the obvious. These are difficult times, scary times, very uncertain times. If you are like me and flip through the headlines looking for a patch of positive greenery on which to land, they seem almost impossible to find. I know.

For some perspective we must acknowledge people deal with difficulties all the time. Really tough challenges in their personal and professional lives. The human condition is often, sadly, one of hardship and suffering. And those who suffer most are frequently the most marginalized among us, the ones without health insurance, or adequate childcare, or those who face racial and other forms of societal injustice.

Now we have, overhanging that, the dire threat to our democracy, a pending pandemic, and the climate crisis. We wonder what will happen in the next election, and with the larger world.

We have talked about these issues many times here, and we will continue to do so. But I want to try another approach.

For every headline you see that scares you, remember there are millions of people dedicating their lives to helping: nurses and doctors, scientists, activists, organizers, teachers, social workers, and on and on. People go to work or they volunteer, undeterred by the scope of the need before them.

This brings me to another observation: Over the years, one approach to despair I have found helps is ACTION.

So let's make this a forum that promotes action. In the comments, share what organizations, activities, movements, etc. that you are giving your time and energy to that you feel are making a difference. These don't need to be political. The idea is to give each other ideas of what we can all do to get out of our heads and into the broader world to make it a better place.

I leave you with a couple mantras that propel me. I ask forgiveness if they are a bit hackneyed.

"When in doubt, do. When in doubt, show up." There are so many times when I have signed up to do something and then the day comes and I would rather just not go. Invariably, I am happy when I do show up. Connecting with people is worth the effort.

And an old favorite from boxing:
    "A champion is the one who can fight one more round." The battles for goodness and justice in the world are often ones of attrition. The future hasn't been written. It may seem fated but it is in our hands. It will not come to us. We will have to act to make it a reality. It was always going to be thus.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    ^ Dan thinks it’s bad now, just go ahead nominate sanders. 

It could get so much worse. 

That 60 Minutes interview was sooo bad. Oh my god. Hopefully it wakes people up in SC and Super Tuesday states. It’s only going to get worse when he becomes the nominee...
    www.myspace.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    Congressional Democrats from Florida are pounding Sanders today over that Castro comment

That 60 Minutes interview was sooo bad. Oh my god. Hopefully it wakes people up in SC and Super Tuesday states. It’s only going to get worse when he becomes the nominee...
    you guys have missed or simply choose not to acknowledge his broader point. How important it is to balance this shit out. Recognizing all the good day to day shit people do. And suggests getting out of our heads that way.

edited February 2020
    mickeyrat said:

you guys have missed or simply choose not to acknowledge his broader point. How important it is to balance this shit out. Recognizing all the good day to day shit people do. And suggests getting out of our heads that way.
    His broader point on Castro was that there was some good that came out of a country ruled by a communist dictator right? Right? I totally get that.

I also want to beat Donald Trump. I look at everything through that one lens. Because that is it. That is all that matters. He's trying to win an election and saying shit like that, even if there may be some truth to it, alienates a large portion of a state you really need to win: Florida. That one soundbite.

Toss in the fact that he was obtuse about how many trillions of dollars his polices (which have zero chance of being enacted) will cost perpetuates the stereotype that the Republicans will successfully label him: a dictator loving socialist who's policies are going to bankrupt this country even further than we already are.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You aren’t supposed to use that kinda language on this board! Who roots for sexual assault?
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You aren’t supposed to use that kinda language on this board! Who roots for sexual assault?
    I know you like our boy Luke... until he leaves you for Sparty..
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    mickeyrat said:

His broader point on Castro was that there was some good that came out of a country ruled by a communist dictator right? Right? I totally get that.

I also want to beat Donald Trump. I look at everything through that one lens. Because that is it. That is all that matters. He's trying to win an election and saying shit like that, even if there may be some truth to it, alienates a large portion of a state you really need to win: Florida. That one soundbite.

Toss in the fact that he was obtuse about how many trillions of dollars his polices (which have zero chance of being enacted) will cost perpetuates the stereotype that the Republicans will successfully label him: a dictator loving socialist who's policies are going to bankrupt this country even further than we already are.

Bernie needs to stay away from interviews. He can get the crowd going in a rally, but he is a sound bite disaster when asked questions he is not expecting.

with Super Tuesday a week away, if sanders gets momentum from the NV win, and starts to get 45% in states next week, this could be over quick. Biden isn’t even on the air in Super Tuesday states.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Aint happening.

mickeyrat said:

No. RATHERS POINT.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Except he and our d coordinator turned them down...cause they sexual assault their players too! It’s a trend in the big ten apparently! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • DIIIs is where it’s at. NJIT!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

No. RATHERS POINT.
    Oh. Well you could've been a tad more clear, Mick!
    www.myspace.com
    edited February 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

No. RATHERS POINT.
    you quoted a post that referenced mine of rathers fb post.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

No. RATHERS POINT.
    i thought you also meant sanders'. you said "you are missing his larger point" quoting a comment on the 60 minutes interview
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

No. RATHERS POINT.
    i thought you also meant sanders'. you said "you are missing his larger point" quoting a comment on the 60 minutes interview
    yes. referencing lerxst1992 post. 

just what did you guys think ^ and Dan meant in the first post in this chain meant?

This discussion has been closed.