The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Do you really follow Kaylah Paige and Cenk is a Union Buster on Twitter? Seriously? Or did you find these on your faceturd feed and thought you’d share because it’s illustrative of the groundswell of the bern? They’re about as believable as #queersagainstpete being a “political movement.” I’d digress into my thoughts about the bern, Cuba and burning 25 electoral votes in Florida but it’d be a waste of my time and effort.
    I don't know what faceturd is. Are you sure it is a real site? Sounds like a childish wordplay.
    You still didn’t answer the first question posed, now did you? Seems like child like avoidance to me. Putin on the ritz paying you in cookies?
    I don't use twitter. Or twitturd
    So, if you don’t use Twitter, how do you come across so much social media twitter posts and why do you share them? Do you trust them as reliable and viable, as coming from an actual twitter or are you just posting propaganda to spread the bern?
    If you tell me the the best thing about Bernie (And being honest), then I might just let you in on that secret.
    He’s old, with age comes wisdom, and he was mayor of Burlington, VT.
    I post things on here for various reasons. Sometimes just because they make for a funny visual. Like e.g. someone campaigning for Bloomberg for the cash but really is voting for Bernie.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Why can't 60 minutes keep their grade consistent? 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    Last point: I get the sense that most of us posting in here are white. This story has absolutely nothing to do with what we make of his comments one way or the other. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    Great. There's more audio of Bloomberg. saying warren is scary and Romney would be a better president than obama.

Maybe it's time to throw in the towel and donate money to trump.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    Great. There's more audio of Bloomberg. saying warren is scary and Romney would be a better president than obama.

He was a Republican and independent.  I wouldn't expect much different.  
  • Great. There's more audio of Bloomberg. saying warren is scary and Romney would be a better president than obama.

At least he's not positive about giving citizens the ability to read and write!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    pjl44 said:
    I think people are missing the point on the Sanders story.

1. It's very much in character for him to praise Castro. It's his ideology and not the first time. In a vacuum he is certainly free to do that.
    2. There are many Cuban (or Venezuelan) immigrants and children of who will have a VERY negative reaction to an American politician praising Castro (or Chavez) for any reason. Many live in Florida.
    3. These House *Democrats* from Florida and elsewhere came out swiftly with strongly worded rebukes because they know this is a HUGE issue for a large portion of their constituents. They themselves have seats to defend in November. 

This is not a manufactured issue. If you know or run into a Cuban-American, ask them about Castro. I had 3 Cuban coworkers at my last job. Best of luck in explaining to them how they should apply some nuance and not blow a comment out of proportion. I would be very interested to hear how that goes.

Please back this up with some verifiable statements made by Sanders that praise Castro.  Thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

1. It's very much in character for him to praise Castro. It's his ideology and not the first time. In a vacuum he is certainly free to do that.
    2. There are many Cuban (or Venezuelan) immigrants and children of who will have a VERY negative reaction to an American politician praising Castro (or Chavez) for any reason. Many live in Florida.
    3. These House *Democrats* from Florida and elsewhere came out swiftly with strongly worded rebukes because they know this is a HUGE issue for a large portion of their constituents. They themselves have seats to defend in November. 

This is not a manufactured issue. If you know or run into a Cuban-American, ask them about Castro. I had 3 Cuban coworkers at my last job. Best of luck in explaining to them how they should apply some nuance and not blow a comment out of proportion. I would be very interested to hear how that goes.

Please back this up with some verifiable statements made by Sanders that praise Castro.  Thanks.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-fidel-castro-1985-video-debate-2016-3

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-fidel-castro-1985-video-debate-2016-3

What question did he answer here? What is the context?
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Click the link
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Hardly praise and decades old.  OK.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Click the link
    Don't get where the praise is? Saying the US shouldn't fuck with other countries and the US fucking up when trying to, seems rather sober. 

What that was about was saying that the United States was wrong for trying to invade Cuba. That the United States was wrong trying to support people to overthrow the Nicaraguan government. That the United States was wrong trying to overthrow in 1954 the government, the democratically elected government of Guatemala. Throughout the history of our relationship with Latin America, we've operated under the so-called Monroe Doctrine. And that said that the United States had the right to do anything that they wanted to do in Latin America. So I actually went to Nicaragua, and I very strongly opposed the Reagan administration's effort to overthrow that government.

He added that the US should be "working with governments around the world" and not "get involved in regime change." Sanders also claimed that US intervention in Latin America stoked anti-US sentiment there.

But he shouldn't touch the subject in a primary. Like I have mentioned. Stress that you hate fidel castro, or say nothing at all.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

For the third time, this is not about what you and I think about what he said. My point is that his comments will give him trouble with Florida voters and create problems for other Democrats running in that state. That's the only thing I've posted about because it's the only aspect of this story I find interesting. 

As a side note, I posted exactly what you asked for and it's obvious you asked just so you could bicker more. You have no interest in listening to what I'm trying to say. Google it yourself next time.
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Click the link
    Don't get where the praise is? Saying the US shouldn't fuck with other countries and the US fucking up when trying to, seems rather sober. 

What that was about was saying that the United States was wrong for trying to invade Cuba. That the United States was wrong trying to support people to overthrow the Nicaraguan government. That the United States was wrong trying to overthrow in 1954 the government, the democratically elected government of Guatemala. Throughout the history of our relationship with Latin America, we've operated under the so-called Monroe Doctrine. And that said that the United States had the right to do anything that they wanted to do in Latin America. So I actually went to Nicaragua, and I very strongly opposed the Reagan administration's effort to overthrow that government.

He added that the US should be "working with governments around the world" and not "get involved in regime change." Sanders also claimed that US intervention in Latin America stoked anti-US sentiment there.

See my post to Brian. It has nothing to do with how you or I are interpreting this. Find a Cuban American living in Florida and explain to them that "ackshually this is logical" if you'd like. 
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Click the link

See my post to Brian. It has nothing to do with how you or I are interpreting this. Find a Cuban American living in Florida and explain to them that "ackshually this is logical" if you'd like. 
    Yes, I understand your argument. But on the bright side, I do think Florida with those republican-cubans and old white people won't be in play anyway (or..?)

I added this to my post after you quoted: But he shouldn't touch the subject in a primary. Like I have mentioned (before): Stress that you hate fidel castro, or say nothing at all (about the man).
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Ronald Reagan — 'If you're explaining, you're losing.'
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

For the third time, this is not about what you and I think about what he said. My point is that his comments will give him trouble with Florida voters and create problems for other Democrats running in that state. That's the only thing I've posted about because it's the only aspect of this story I find interesting. 

As a side note, I posted exactly what you asked for and it's obvious you asked just so you could bicker more. You have no interest in listening to what I'm trying to say. Google it yourself next time.

For the first time, What???  I didn't say what I think about this.  Where did you come up with that?

And "bickering"?  WTF?  Where was I "bickering"?  Get a grip.
    Post edited by brianlux on

pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Click the link

Yes, I understand your argument. But on the bright side, I do think Florida with those republican-cubans and old white people won't be in play anyway (or..?)

I added this to my post after you quoted: But he shouldn't touch the subject in a primary. Like I have mentioned. Stress that you hate fidel castro, or say nothing at all.
    It's tough because Florida is typically a swing state. Having to write it off is not ideal. Doesn't make things impossible, but tough. Your last point is right, but there's a reason he doesn't.
  • Can we all just agree that Biden and Warren will steal and split Bernies thunder post tonights debate?
  • pjl44 said:

Your last point is right, but there's a reason he doesn't.

Can we all just agree that Biden and Warren will steal and split Bernies thunder post tonights debate?

I'm not a big fan on any of the Dem candidate.  just want one of them- any of them- to beat Trump.

edited February 2020
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

For the first time, What???  I didn't say what I think about this.  Where did you come up with that?

You're nitpicking what constitutes praise. That would be you saying what you think about it. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Can we all just agree that Biden and Warren will steal and split Bernies thunder post tonights debate?
    oh shit there's debates tonight?!

good thing I bought beer yesterday!
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

You're nitpicking what constitutes praise. That would be you saying what you think about it. 

Then you must be doing the same and thus this becomes pointless.  Later.

• Bernie Staffer Mocked Warren’s Looks, Pete’s Sexuality on Private Twitter Account'

After this report was published, Mike Casca, the Sanders campaign’s communications director, told The Daily Beast that “we are running a multiracial, multigenerational campaign for justice where disgusting behavior and ugly personal attacks by our staff will not be tolerated.”

Mora, the Sanders campaign confirmed, has been fired.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bernie-sanders-staffer-mocked-elizabeth-warrens-looks-pete-buttigiegs-sexuality-on-private-twitter-account

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    CM189191 said:
    exactly what now?

There's a big gap between praising their education system and praising Castro

Cuba's medical system is beyond reproach as well. 
    you can praise one thing about one person and it not be all-encompassing. just because harvey weinstein is a rapist doesn't mean I am pro-rape if I say he's a good movie producer. 
    This should be true, but unfortunately, it isn’t the case these days. Too many people today seem to have an “all or none” mentality with that sort of thing. To them, it IS all-encompassing. 

Look at Trump. If you say anything positive about something he does, or if there’s an aspect of his presidency that actually you like, a lot of people will call you racist or whatever other extreme insult you can call a Trump supporter. Even if your positive comment is inconsequential. Say, for example, someone on this board said that they liked his speech in India the other day. Some of the people around here would assume that person loves Trump and lump them in with Maga-hat wearers. That isn’t fair.
    I agree with you 100%. I was called a trump supporter (HAHA) because I didn't draw and quarter him on an issue some time back. it's ludicrous. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    CM189191 said:
    exactly what now?

you can praise one thing about one person and it not be all-encompassing. just because harvey weinstein is a rapist doesn't mean I am pro-rape if I say he's a good movie producer. 
    This should be true, but unfortunately, it isn’t the case these days. Too many people today seem to have an “all or none” mentality with that sort of thing. To them, it IS all-encompassing. 

Look at Trump. If you say anything positive about something he does, or if there’s an aspect of his presidency that actually you like, a lot of people will call you racist or whatever other extreme insult you can call a Trump supporter. Even if your positive comment is inconsequential. Say, for example, someone on this board said that they liked his speech in India the other day. Some of the people around here would assume that person loves Trump and lump them in with Maga-hat wearers. That isn’t fair.
    Name an inconsequential positive things one could say about Trumps presidency without it being a far fetched "Say, for example"-example like him having a good speech.
    Well I didn’t see the speech so I can’t speak to whether it was good or not. Typical of you to focus on that and ignore the point though. The point is that Hugh’s “all-encompassing” argument goes tenfold for Trump. 
    I know. It just made me curious about Trump and him having positives. 
    there actually was something he did a while back that was praised on both sides. I wish I could recall what it was. there has been so much shit it's hard to wade through. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    CM189191 said:
    exactly what now?

Name an inconsequential positive things one could say about Trumps presidency without it being a far fetched "Say, for example"-example like him having a good speech.
    Well I didn’t see the speech so I can’t speak to whether it was good or not. Typical of you to focus on that and ignore the point though. The point is that Hugh’s “all-encompassing” argument goes tenfold for Trump. 
    I know. It just made me curious about Trump and him having positives. 
    there actually was something he did a while back that was praised on both sides. I wish I could recall what it was. there has been so much shit it's hard to wade through. 
    Criminal reform.
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Then you must be doing the same and thus this becomes pointless.  Later.

And somehow we arrive back at "I'm not talking about what either of us thinks about it." Aye yi yi.
  • The GOD DAMN commies that are Biden supporters. When will the pundits on cable news take a stand against them?

This discussion has been closed.