The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    I always wanted to visit Volgograd, Siberia not so much. 

I went to Estonia shortly after they opened things up to Westerners, in 1992. 
    We then went to St Petersburg. 
    Both Estonia and Russia were fascinating to visit -- it was a large time of change in the history of both countries and there was a pretty strong difference between the welcome we received in both places.  In Russia?  People kept to themselves and when we could engage them the atmosphere was almost universally one of fear.  What would happen?  People seemed scared to do anything.  The black market folks were happy to see us, but not so much most others.  The Hermitage was amazingly beautiful.  (And, sad.)
    Estonia stood in contrast to Russia -- the people would often hug us upon learning we were from the West, that their country was open now and that our being there was proof of strong changes taking place.  Many cried.  We had an amazing 2 weeks there - and I did not meet a single person who thought Communism was a good thing.  The hatred for the USSR was everywhere we went - on display for others to see.

Never wanted to go to Siberia either.  :lol:       

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Just checked in and looking at the gorgeous capital of our mixed economy, here in the Financial District.   Granted it's not as pretty as Stalingrad, as I don't see any trains to Siberia filled with dissidents,  but one can hope one day we'll achieve the Marxist dream that is so successful. 

We watched miracle in class today.  I swear all the Russian hickey players were probably killed after that olympics. Can’t bekieve it was forty years ago yesterday. 
    Greatest sports moment in US history.  It's also my earliest Olympic memory.  I was 7 and my dad yanked me off the bus to watch it.  It was played on delay the next day.  I remember it clearly. 
    Jesse Owens would like a word. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited February 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Just checked in and looking at the gorgeous capital of our mixed economy, here in the Financial District.   Granted it's not as pretty as Stalingrad, as I don't see any trains to Siberia filled with dissidents,  but one can hope one day we'll achieve the Marxist dream that is so successful. 

We watched miracle in class today.  I swear all the Russian hickey players were probably killed after that olympics. Can’t bekieve it was forty years ago yesterday. 
    @ecdanc would you show Miracle to your class? 

Or would you show some good old communist newsreel supercut from the 40s?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@ecdanc would you show Miracle your class?
    Never seen it, so I dunno. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Greatest sports moment in US history.  It's also my earliest Olympic memory.  I was 7 and my dad yanked me off the bus to watch it.  It was played on delay the next day.  I remember it clearly. 
    Definitely a great moment but it wasn’t on tv.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He didn't say greatest televised sports moment in US history. 
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think 1980 was the bigger moment.  Both were great for many reasons. You are just pissed that the commies lost. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think 1980 was the bigger moment.  Both were great for many reasons. You are just pissed that the commies lost. 
    I think picking a hockey moment is telling....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My predictions -- and I HAVE BEEN SO DAMN CORRECT LATELY IN THIS THREAD.

Elisabeth Warren will keep stealing the spotlight in the SC debate. Biden will in his live-or-die position perform really good. He will be on fire. Both taking support from Bernie. 

Biden will overperform in SC. Bernie will underperform. And it will be the start of Bernie falling and Warren rising up again, and Biden taking back his no 1 spot in polls.
    Our very own Punxsutawney Phil :lol:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

We're one upping the stupid arguments around here.  

I wanted to take in a Rangers game,  as im a huge hockey fan.  But I was thrilled to find out that Jimmy Cobb is playing tonight at the Blue Note in the Village.  He's the last living musician who played on Miles Davis Kind of Blue.   Mickey and I are going to turn you on to jazz at some point. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I wanted to take in a Rangers game,  as im a huge hockey fan.  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I wanted to take in a Rangers game,  as im a huge hockey fan.  

I liked him.   I'm a Lightning fan,  but don't mind the Rangers at all. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,539
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    @mrussel1 check out the 586 polling site and do a search for VA 2020. They have VA going to Trump by a few points no matter who he's up against.
    I don't see it.  I assume you mean 538. The most recent look is from a few days ago and every D wins. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/
    They had Hillary in a runaway in 2016, didn't they?

No

Looks to me like they did....

It was as low as 64% the week of the election and the national average must be considered with their state averages to get a clearer understanding. 

538 had the 3 tipping point states at 1% in 2016.

Yes my runaway wording was wrong, I see that.
    Looking at their final 2016 forecast, though, only supports my question as to why I would care about their polling.
    With all items considered they stated that there was only a 10.5% chance that Clinton would win the popular vote but lose the electoral college.

Polling and these sorts of things proved to be unreliable last go-around and I do not put any faith in them this time.

This is a very unfair portrayal of 538. If we look at their state analysis, which is how we pick presidents, the huge  warning signs were there.

Further if we recall the facts and circumstances on the day these odds were set... it was the day after Comey cleared clinton of the supposed new evidence on Weiners computer.

IIRC Nate Silver explained at the time there wasn't enough time to poll this "exoneration " and they had alot of guesswork the final few days accounting for Comey's last minute exoneration. 

#trumpisminvadesAMT

• hedonist said:
    My predictions -- and I HAVE BEEN SO DAMN CORRECT LATELY IN THIS THREAD.

Elisabeth Warren will keep stealing the spotlight in the SC debate. Biden will in his live-or-die position perform really good. He will be on fire. Both taking support from Bernie. 

Biden will overperform in SC. Bernie will underperform. And it will be the start of Bernie falling and Warren rising up again, and Biden taking back his no 1 spot in polls.
    Our very own Punxsutawney Phil :lol:
    Or our very own Swedish Svengali Sven.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    This is pathetic

Cooper: Do you know how all -- how much though? I mean, do you have a price tag for -- for all of this?
      Sanders: We do. I mean, you know, and -- and-- the price tag is -- it will be substantially less than letting the current system go. I think it's about $30 trillion.

Cooper: That's just for "Medicare for All," you're talking about?

Sanders: That's just "Medicare for All," yes.

Cooper: Do you have -- a price tag for all of these things?

Sanders: No, I don't. We try to -- no, you mentioned making public colleges and universities tuition free and canceling all student debt, that's correct. That's what I want to do. We pay for that through a modest tax on Wall Street speculation.

Cooper: But you say you don't know what the total price is, but you know how it's gonna be paid for. How do you know it's gonna be paid for if you don't know how much the price is?

Sanders: Well, I can't -- you know, I can't rattle off to you every nickel and every dime. But we have accounted for -- you -- you talked about "Medicare for All." We have options out there that will pay for it.

www.myspace.com
    • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
      mcgruff10 said:
      mrussel1 said:

A bunch of them went on to play in the NHL. (Many years after, though.)
    • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
      ecdanc said:
      mrussel1 said:
      @mrussel1 check out the 586 polling site and do a search for VA 2020. They have VA going to Trump by a few points no matter who he's up against.
      I don't see it.  I assume you mean 538. The most recent look is from a few days ago and every D wins. 

No

It was as low as 64% the week of the election and the national average must be considered with their state averages to get a clearer understanding. 

Looking at their final 2016 forecast, though, only supports my question as to why I would care about their polling.
      With all items considered they stated that there was only a 10.5% chance that Clinton would win the popular vote but lose the electoral college.

Polling and these sorts of things proved to be unreliable last go-around and I do not put any faith in them this time.

This is a very unfair portrayal of 538. If we look at their state analysis, which is how we pick presidents, the huge  warning signs were there.

Further if we recall the facts and circumstances on the day these odds were set... it was the day after Comey cleared clinton of the supposed new evidence on Weiners computer.

IIRC Nate Silver explained at the time there wasn't enough time to poll this "exoneration " and they had alot of guesswork the final few days accounting for Comey's last minute exoneration. 

#trumpisminvadesAMT

538 was way more accurate than anybody else. Hillary was a big favorite, but lost. Literally nobody said Trump was the favorite. Most places gave HRC an 80-95% chance of winning. 
      www.myspace.com
    • This is pathetic

Cooper: Do you know how all -- how much though? I mean, do you have a price tag for -- for all of this?
        Sanders: We do. I mean, you know, and -- and-- the price tag is -- it will be substantially less than letting the current system go. I think it's about $30 trillion.

Sanders: No, I don't. We try to -- no, you mentioned making public colleges and universities tuition free and canceling all student debt, that's correct. That's what I want to do. We pay for that through a modest tax on Wall Street speculation.

Cooper: But you say you don't know what the total price is, but you know how it's gonna be paid for. How do you know it's gonna be paid for if you don't know how much the price is?

Sanders: Well, I can't -- you know, I can't rattle off to you every nickel and every dime. But we have accounted for -- you -- you talked about "Medicare for All." We have options out there that will pay for it.
        Well I'll give him one thing...at least he's honest. Still waiting on that check from Mexico to pay for the border wall. 
        2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
        http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
      • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
        ecdanc said:
        mcgruff10 said:
        ecdanc said:
        mcgruff10 said:
        ecdanc said:
        mrussel1 said:
        mcgruff10 said:
        mrussel1 said:

Jessie Owens was supposed to win, even if the Germans didn't know it.

• ecdanc said:
        mrussel1 said:

No

#trumpisminvadesAMT

Not sure what the hashtag there is meant to imply, but trying to convince me to trust 538 or any other polling in what they show us now is a lost cause.  I am glad that they are things that you like - and that there are others who get something from them.

None of it matters with regard to the debates, the nominee, or the general election.  I will vote for whomever opposes the large, orange, man in the Oval Office currently.
        The love he receives is the love that is saved
      • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
        edited February 2020
        This is pathetic

Its not good by The Man of the Primary

And why does he start trying to have a balanced duscussion about Fidel Castro in an interview DURING A PRIMARY?!

What 
          the
          hell

At least he’s not throwing support behind Bloomberg in the interview. 
          Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
          This is pathetic

He is such a moron.  How anyone is voting for this guy is beyond me.  
            eddiec said:
            ecdanc said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            ecdanc said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            ecdanc said:
            mrussel1 said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            mrussel1 said:

Correct.  The us were huge underdogs in the 1980 winter Olympic s.   

mcgruff10 said:
            eddiec said:
            ecdanc said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            ecdanc said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            ecdanc said:
            mrussel1 said:
            mcgruff10 said:
            mrussel1 said:

Correct.  The us were huge underdogs in the 1980 winter Olympic s.   

Those plucky....hockey players. Still telling....
            mcgruff10 said:
            This is pathetic

He is such a moron.  How anyone is voting for this guy is beyond me.  
              I don't think anyone is voting for Anderson Cooper. 
              Does anyone know who we write to if we think one of the moderators is racist?
            • ecdanc said:
              I think they know you're just trying to stir shit with your "On Whiteness" thread. 
              2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
              http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
            • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
              ecdanc said:
              C'mon, man.  They're not.
              ecdanc said:
              I think they know you're just trying to stir shit with your "On Whiteness" thread. 
              These boards have a big time whiteness problem; I thought we should talk about it. I guess the mods are anti-anti-racist. 
              eddiec said:
              mcgruff10 said:
              mrussel1 said:

A bunch of them went on to play in the NHL. (Many years after, though.)
              I did not know that.  None of the us players went pro from what I remember.  
            This discussion has been closed.