Comments

• Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The toxic Pete Pals. Just like the Trumpeters and also not far enough from the other side.

You muzzle a dog.  I've never heard of that term being pointed at a particular race or sex.  That's a reach. 
    Clearly there's no history of referring to women--specifically--as dogs. 
    So no men have ever been referred to as dogs,  it's purely women?  
    I thought you studied history? 
    I thought you lived in the same world as me where both sexes have been referred to as a dog. 
    I once heard a white person called the n-word. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Can we stop with the people don’t read nonsense?

SC - you states that Amy and Warren voters would go to the other? Is that right?

You think so because they are women. Right?

So you think some people are only voting for them cause they are women? Or are you quoting a news source that stated this?  Not agreeing or disagreeing just trying to understand why you said that? 

And yes i went back... I think far enough to look for it. But coulda accidentally scrolled passed it on my phone. 
    I can't speak for SC, but I do know what he wrote. He implied that people likely to vote for one woman might be drawn to vote for a different woman. This isn't a particularly contentious claim. 

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but that's all SC's claim would require to be true, so I'll offer one example: Me. If there were two candidates, both of whom I felt I could vote for, who had identical platforms, and one was a woman (the other a man), I'd vote for the woman. 

Edited to add: he did not say that people are ONLY voting for them because they are women. 
    Except their platforms are different, in the world of Democratic policies  killing your entire theory.
    That is true, but do you not think there are people out there that just want a woman to win? I mean, as long as the woman meets whatever they believe is qualified?

i believe those people exist. 
    Absolutely
    Great. Now I wasted five minutes explaining something to you that you already know, but because you're so intent on trolling me, you pretended (being generous here) to be confused. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

SC - you states that Amy and Warren voters would go to the other? Is that right?

So you think some people are only voting for them cause they are women? Or are you quoting a news source that stated this?  Not agreeing or disagreeing just trying to understand why you said that? 

And yes i went back... I think far enough to look for it. But coulda accidentally scrolled passed it on my phone. 
    I can't speak for SC, but I do know what he wrote. He implied that people likely to vote for one woman might be drawn to vote for a different woman. This isn't a particularly contentious claim. 

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but that's all SC's claim would require to be true, so I'll offer one example: Me. If there were two candidates, both of whom I felt I could vote for, who had identical platforms, and one was a woman (the other a man), I'd vote for the woman. 

Edited to add: he did not say that people are ONLY voting for them because they are women. 
    Except their platforms are different, in the world of Democratic policies  killing your entire theory.
    I sometimes imagine you at your computer saying to yourself "ha! I've got him now!!" A good portion of the time, though, you might as well just type the word "potato" instead of your actual responses--it would be equally sensical. 

But....since you're going to complain I'm avoiding things, I'll go ahead and explain the nature of your, ahem, inaccuracy in this case: the conversation surrounding SC's comment(s) was not "you're factually incorrect," but "what you're saying is somehow offensive/sexist." The latter is false on its face, because he was making a comment about voters without defining their gender. I can see myself falling into the group he described (in slightly different circumstances), so reading his comment as about women voters says more about the reader than about his post. So, we can address whether he's factually inaccurate. Are there voters for whom electing a woman is as important or more important than minor policy differences? I believe so. I, for one, don't see Warren's and Klobuchar's platforms and particularly different, so if I were amongst that group, I could imagine myself switching allegiance from one to the other. 
    Considering the two are on the ends of the spectrum on health care and student debt, the two hallmarks of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The toxic Pete Pals. Just like the Trumpeters and also not far enough from the other side.

You muzzle a dog.  I've never heard of that term being pointed at a particular race or sex.  That's a reach. 
    I thought you lived in the same world as me where both sexes have been referred to as a dog. 
    And that's the sum total of all the times you've heard a man being referred to as a dog.. A 'lap dog' 'attack dog' 'he's such a dog', you ain't nothing but a hound dog...

You should engage in popular culture a little more often.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,090
    edited February 2020
    If women are uniquely called dogs, it's as a misogynistic slag against their looks. If someone is using muzzling, as in an attack dog, I've not seen that be a gendered thing. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

I sometimes imagine you at your computer saying to yourself "ha! I've got him now!!" A good portion of the time, though, you might as well just type the word "potato" instead of your actual responses--it would be equally sensical. 

But....since you're going to complain I'm avoiding things, I'll go ahead and explain the nature of your, ahem, inaccuracy in this case: the conversation surrounding SC's comment(s) was not "you're factually incorrect," but "what you're saying is somehow offensive/sexist." The latter is false on its face, because he was making a comment about voters without defining their gender. I can see myself falling into the group he described (in slightly different circumstances), so reading his comment as about women voters says more about the reader than about his post. So, we can address whether he's factually inaccurate. Are there voters for whom electing a woman is as important or more important than minor policy differences? I believe so. I, for one, don't see Warren's and Klobuchar's platforms and particularly different, so if I were amongst that group, I could imagine myself switching allegiance from one to the other. 
    Considering the two are on the ends of the spectrum on health care and student debt, the two hallmarks of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    Even an uninformed voter would confirm SC’s point. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Just because they are on seperate ends doesnt mean the voter has to be at one end and then jumping all the way over to the other. 

also, just because you believe there is a huge chasm between opinions om certain issues - doesnt mean another voter has to believe the issue is as important. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Then why is many Biden fans second choice Bernie?

By your binary view of it all. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

And that's the sum total of all the times you've heard a man being referred to as a dog.. A 'lap dog' 'attack dog' 'he's such a dog', you ain't nothing but a hound dog...

It’s gonna be tough to find the time to teach MORE classes on the subject and give MORE presentations, but I’ll see what I can do. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Just because they are on seperate ends doesnt mean the voter has to be at one end and then jumping all the way over to the other. 

also, just because you believe there is a huge chasm between opinions om certain issues - doesnt mean another voter has to believe the issue is as important. 
    True, but that's not the definition of 'identical platforms'.  If one concludes they have identical platforms, they are uninformed.  
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

That is true, but do you not think there are people out there that just want a woman to win? I mean, as long as the woman meets whatever they believe is qualified?

Absolutely
    Great. Now I wasted five minutes explaining something to you that you already know, but because you're so intent on trolling me, you pretended (being generous here) to be confused. 
    Listen, I just want to be straightforward with you.  If you think about writing a long post to me, don't.  I don't give a fuck what you say, so you will be fundamentally wasting your time.  Don't mistake a reply with the belief that I care or value your opinion.  I don't.  I will read it with the most negative lens available, which could lead to me misconstruing it.  I'd prefer not to read it. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party. So I don’t get your point there.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

It’s gonna be tough to find the time to teach MORE classes on the subject and give MORE presentations, but I’ll see what I can do. 
    Then just put on your Big Mama Thornton record and my point will be proven. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    edited February 2020
    What am I going to be offended about today?

MSNBC'S CHRIS MATTHEWS FACES CALLS TO RESIGN AFTER COMPARING SANDERS' NEVADA VICTORY TO NAZI GERMANY'S DEFEAT OF FRANCE

https://apple.news/A5pmP3bpeT1e65VimmX4hPg
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Honestly, maybe they are sexist and homophobe and won't vote for a women or a gay guy.  Could be...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party. So I don’t get your point there.

Because voters don't judge candidates solely on their place on the very narrow spectrum of DNC stances?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely
    Listen, I just want to be straightforward with you.  If you think about writing a long post to me, don't.  I don't give a fuck what you say, so you will be fundamentally wasting your time.  Don't mistake a reply with the belief that I care or value your opinion.  I don't.  I will read it with the most negative lens available, which could lead to me misconstruing it.  I'd prefer not to read it. 
    Kinda funny that you like to accuse me of bullying and closemindedness, when I take your stances far more seriously than you take mine. It's ok, though: many students don't want to learn. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely
    I have a serious question: may I share this post with my students?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely
    Kinda funny that you like to accuse me of bullying and closemindedness, when I take your stances far more seriously than you take mine. It's ok, though: many students don't want to learn. 
    I wrote you off as worthy debater long ago.  You're a one trick pony who knows a lot about a select and limited number of subjects.  This particular debate about dogs as metaphors shows your limitation.  So it's not worth the time.  

*question, is calling you a one trick pony sexist?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Because voters don't judge candidates solely on their place on the very narrow spectrum of DNC stances?
    During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely
    I have a serious question: may I share this post with my students?
    You should share your condescending posts so that they don’t get this out of context. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

MSNBC'S CHRIS MATTHEWS FACES CALLS TO RESIGN AFTER COMPARING SANDERS' NEVADA VICTORY TO NAZI GERMANY'S DEFEAT OF FRANCE

It's not the greatest analogy and hyper-dramatic.  I didn't think about Sanders being Jewish as he doesn't seem to use that heritage as part of his identity.  So as usual, a dumb comment, and a silly reaction (calling for his resignation). 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely
    I wrote you off as worthy debater long ago.  You're a one trick pony who knows a lot about a select and limited number of subjects.  This particular debate about dogs as metaphors shows your limitation.  So it's not worth the time.  

Basically calling you his student is just another in a long line of condescending remarks .
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It's not the greatest analogy and hyper-dramatic.  I didn't think about Sanders being Jewish as he doesn't seem to use that heritage as part of his identity.  So as usual, a dumb comment, and a silly reaction (calling for his resignation). 
    ”not the greatest analogy”   yeah. ok. 

He has also expressed concern about Bernie executing him in central park. 

Chris is not well. 
  • Options
    of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    I'm not sure what there is to elaborate. There are as many ways of evaluating candidates as there are voters. I'm sure there are plenty of voters (even in the DNC primary) who don't look at Klobuchar and Warren and see polar opposites. You can think their judgements are inappropriate or ill-informed, but they certainly exist. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

”not the greatest analogy”   yeah. ok. 

He has also expressed concern about Bernie executing him in central park. 

Chris is not well. 
    That's bizarre. What's the context and/or quote?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

"A worthy debater." LOL. I'll give you credit, sir, you make me laugh. But, you are absolutely correct that my knowledge is select and limited to a small number of subjects. That's why I've avoided posting on anything outside those areas. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    I'm not sure what there is to elaborate. There are as many ways of evaluating candidates as there are voters. I'm sure there are plenty of voters (even in the DNC primary) who don't look at Klobuchar and Warren and see polar opposites. You can think their judgements are inappropriate or ill-informed, but they certainly exist. 
    Well, if you are comparing candidates in that stage and trying to pick a political leader without even considering their political stances....that seems pretty bad to me. Just as bad as other 1 issue voters that ignore lots of other things.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

Basically calling you his student is just another in a long line of condescending remarks .
    See, you can read well when you put your mind to it! 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Honestly, maybe they are sexist and homophobe and won't vote for a women or a gay guy.  Could be...
    Sounds like something that come with the right-wing territory

So plausable. 
This discussion has been closed.