ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Can we stop with the people don’t read nonsense?

SC - you states that Amy and Warren voters would go to the other? Is that right?

You think so because they are women. Right?

So you think some people are only voting for them cause they are women? Or are you quoting a news source that stated this?  Not agreeing or disagreeing just trying to understand why you said that? 

And yes i went back... I think far enough to look for it. But coulda accidentally scrolled passed it on my phone. 
    I can't speak for SC, but I do know what he wrote. He implied that people likely to vote for one woman might be drawn to vote for a different woman. This isn't a particularly contentious claim. 

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but that's all SC's claim would require to be true, so I'll offer one example: Me. If there were two candidates, both of whom I felt I could vote for, who had identical platforms, and one was a woman (the other a man), I'd vote for the woman. 

Edited to add: he did not say that people are ONLY voting for them because they are women. 
    Except their platforms are different, in the world of Democratic policies  killing your entire theory.
    That is true, but do you not think there are people out there that just want a woman to win? I mean, as long as the woman meets whatever they believe is qualified?

i believe those people exist. 
    Absolutely
    Great. Now I wasted five minutes explaining something to you that you already know, but because you're so intent on trolling me, you pretended (being generous here) to be confused. 
    Listen, I just want to be straightforward with you.  If you think about writing a long post to me, don't.  I don't give a fuck what you say, so you will be fundamentally wasting your time.  Don't mistake a reply with the belief that I care or value your opinion.  I don't.  I will read it with the most negative lens available, which could lead to me misconstruing it.  I'd prefer not to read it. 
    Kinda funny that you like to accuse me of bullying and closemindedness, when I take your stances far more seriously than you take mine. It's ok, though: many students don't want to learn. 
    I wrote you off as worthy debater long ago.  You're a one trick pony who knows a lot about a select and limited number of subjects.  This particular debate about dogs as metaphors shows your limitation.  So it's not worth the time.  

*question, is calling you a one trick pony sexist?
    Basically calling you his student is just another in a long line of condescending remarks .
    See, you can read well when you put your mind to it! 
    I’m loving your continued practice of condescending post. Creating quite the history. 
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

SC - you states that Amy and Warren voters would go to the other? Is that right?

So you think some people are only voting for them cause they are women? Or are you quoting a news source that stated this?  Not agreeing or disagreeing just trying to understand why you said that? 

And yes i went back... I think far enough to look for it. But coulda accidentally scrolled passed it on my phone. 
    I can't speak for SC, but I do know what he wrote. He implied that people likely to vote for one woman might be drawn to vote for a different woman. This isn't a particularly contentious claim. 

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but that's all SC's claim would require to be true, so I'll offer one example: Me. If there were two candidates, both of whom I felt I could vote for, who had identical platforms, and one was a woman (the other a man), I'd vote for the woman. 

Edited to add: he did not say that people are ONLY voting for them because they are women. 
    Except their platforms are different, in the world of Democratic policies  killing your entire theory.
    I sometimes imagine you at your computer saying to yourself "ha! I've got him now!!" A good portion of the time, though, you might as well just type the word "potato" instead of your actual responses--it would be equally sensical. 

But....since you're going to complain I'm avoiding things, I'll go ahead and explain the nature of your, ahem, inaccuracy in this case: the conversation surrounding SC's comment(s) was not "you're factually incorrect," but "what you're saying is somehow offensive/sexist." The latter is false on its face, because he was making a comment about voters without defining their gender. I can see myself falling into the group he described (in slightly different circumstances), so reading his comment as about women voters says more about the reader than about his post. So, we can address whether he's factually inaccurate. Are there voters for whom electing a woman is as important or more important than minor policy differences? I believe so. I, for one, don't see Warren's and Klobuchar's platforms and particularly different, so if I were amongst that group, I could imagine myself switching allegiance from one to the other. 
    Considering the two are on the ends of the spectrum on health care and student debt, the two hallmarks of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    Just because they are on seperate ends doesnt mean the voter has to be at one end and then jumping all the way over to the other. 

also, just because you believe there is a huge chasm between opinions om certain issues - doesnt mean another voter has to believe the issue is as important. 
    Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party. So I don’t get your point there.

Because voters don't judge candidates solely on their place on the very narrow spectrum of DNC stances?
    During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

I sometimes imagine you at your computer saying to yourself "ha! I've got him now!!" A good portion of the time, though, you might as well just type the word "potato" instead of your actual responses--it would be equally sensical. 

But....since you're going to complain I'm avoiding things, I'll go ahead and explain the nature of your, ahem, inaccuracy in this case: the conversation surrounding SC's comment(s) was not "you're factually incorrect," but "what you're saying is somehow offensive/sexist." The latter is false on its face, because he was making a comment about voters without defining their gender. I can see myself falling into the group he described (in slightly different circumstances), so reading his comment as about women voters says more about the reader than about his post. So, we can address whether he's factually inaccurate. Are there voters for whom electing a woman is as important or more important than minor policy differences? I believe so. I, for one, don't see Warren's and Klobuchar's platforms and particularly different, so if I were amongst that group, I could imagine myself switching allegiance from one to the other. 
    Considering the two are on the ends of the spectrum on health care and student debt, the two hallmarks of Warren's candidacy, that would simply make you an uniformed voter.  
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Just because they are on seperate ends doesnt mean the voter has to be at one end and then jumping all the way over to the other. 

also, just because you believe there is a huge chasm between opinions om certain issues - doesnt mean another voter has to believe the issue is as important. 
    Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party. So I don’t get your point there.

Because voters don't judge candidates solely on their place on the very narrow spectrum of DNC stances?
    During the DNC primary?

Please elaborate. 
    I'm not sure what there is to elaborate. There are as many ways of evaluating candidates as there are voters. I'm sure there are plenty of voters (even in the DNC primary) who don't look at Klobuchar and Warren and see polar opposites. You can think their judgements are inappropriate or ill-informed, but they certainly exist. 
    Well, if you are comparing candidates in that stage and trying to pick a political leader without even considering their political stances....that seems pretty bad to me. Just as bad as other 1 issue voters that ignore lots of other things.

Did the irony of posting this mere moments after calling me condescending give you even a second's pause?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

That is true, but do you not think there are people out there that just want a woman to win? I mean, as long as the woman meets whatever they believe is qualified?

Absolutely
    Great. Now I wasted five minutes explaining something to you that you already know, but because you're so intent on trolling me, you pretended (being generous here) to be confused. 
    Listen, I just want to be straightforward with you.  If you think about writing a long post to me, don't.  I don't give a fuck what you say, so you will be fundamentally wasting your time.  Don't mistake a reply with the belief that I care or value your opinion.  I don't.  I will read it with the most negative lens available, which could lead to me misconstruing it.  I'd prefer not to read it. 
    Kinda funny that you like to accuse me of bullying and closemindedness, when I take your stances far more seriously than you take mine. It's ok, though: many students don't want to learn. 
    I wrote you off as worthy debater long ago.  You're a one trick pony who knows a lot about a select and limited number of subjects.  This particular debate about dogs as metaphors shows your limitation.  So it's not worth the time.  

Basically calling you his student is just another in a long line of condescending remarks .
    I’m living your continued practice of condescending post. Creating quite the history. 
    I try to limit my condescension to the posters here who've earned it. I suppose I could emulate you and extend it to all voters who aren't as rational and policy-driven as you are. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Then why is many Biden fans second choice Bernie?

By your binary view of it all. 
    Honestly, maybe they are sexist and homophobe and won't vote for a women or a gay guy.  Could be...
    Sounds like something that come with the right-wing territory

So plausable. 
    The last I saw, it was a solid minority of Sanders voters that would go to Warren.  The strong majority go to Biden or Bloomberg.  That doesn't feel policy-centric, so it cuts both ways.  If you don't think there are sexists in the D party, even among Sanders supporters, you're kidding yourself. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921
    edited February 2020
    A very interesting op ed:

Oh no, not Bernie!

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/02/oh-no-not-bernie-moran.html

In the 2018 midterms, Democrats took control of the House by winning swing districts in states like New Jersey, where four seats flipped. All four winners ran as centrists, with support for Obamacare at the heart of their pitch. It worked.

Now, Sen. Bernie Sanders wants to throw out that playbook and go hard left, with plans to roughly double the size of the federal government, and hike taxes substantially on everyone earning more than $29,000 a year.

Please, Democrats, don’t do this. Why abandon a strategy that worked wonders in 2018, and choose this moment in history to place such a risky bet? Can’t the revolution wait until the Mad King is gone?

Rep. Tom Malinowski, D-7th, is one of the four freshman Democrats who took a Republican seat in the last election. He knows something about this dynamic.

“We win, and the country wins, if we nominate a candidate who unites the majority of Americans who are disgusted with Trump’s leadership and divides the other side -- rather than a candidate who does the exact reverse,” he says.

Another Democrat in a swing district, promised anonymity, was blunt: “If Sanders is the nominee, I will lose,” the member said. “I think a bunch would lose. Bernie would drag us right down.”

Start with this: Republican are rooting for Bernie. In South Carolina, where anyone can vote in Saturday’s primary, Republican groups are asking their own people to vote in the Democratic primary and choose Sanders. Across the country, Republicans are already attacking Democratic rivals by attaching them to Sanders.

“Sanders offers that foil up and down the ballot for Republicans, and it’s one we’re going to take advantage of,” Austin Chambers, president of the Republican State Leadership Committee, told Politico recently.

I called Mike DuHaime, a leading Republican strategist and former political director of the Republican National Committee, to get a glimpse of GOP thinking. It boils down to this: Bring on Bernie!

“He plays this class warfare game and pretends it’s going to be a handful of billionaires who pay for all this,” he says. “But you can’t double the size of government without doubling many people’s taxes.”

Bernie’s program is more radical than people think. He actually would double the size of the federal government, roughly. It accounts for about 20 percent of the gross domestic product, in an average year. Bernie’s plans would swell that to 37 percent, according to the bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Then why is many Biden fans second choice Bernie?

By your binary view of it all. 
    Honestly, maybe they are sexist and homophobe and won't vote for a women or a gay guy.  Could be...
    Sounds like something that come with the right-wing territory

So plausable. 
    The last I saw, it was a solid minority of Sanders voters that would go to Warren.  The strong majority go to Biden or Bloomberg.  That doesn't feel policy-centric, so it cuts both ways.  If you don't think there are sexists in the D party, even among Sanders supporters, you're kidding yourself. 
    Today you're the expert on sexism!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    edited February 2020
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,156
    Chris Matthews with his personal agenda and his weird red-scare fears. How can they allow these people sit there spewing BS from a veneer of authority. 

He is saying if Bernie is the nominee, the Dems lose to trump, Lose congress and probably two seats on the court and we will not see ANY govt supported healthcare for the masses for 40 years with a 7-2 court. The dems will become the Washington Generals.

is that what our euro friends want?
  • Options
    Chris Matthews with his personal agenda and his weird red-scare fears. How can they allow these people sit there spewing BS from a veneer of authority. 

He is saying if Bernie is the nominee, the Dems lose to trump, Lose congress and probably two seats on the court and we will not see ANY govt supported healthcare for the masses for 40 years with a 7-2 court. The dems will become the Washington Generals.

Capital--for which Matthews is a mouthpiece--would rather Trump win than Sanders win. It's not complicated. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921

The op ed piece I linked says the same exact thing.  The dude is a god damn socialist; that right there will be used against him 24/7.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The op ed piece I linked says the same exact thing.  The dude is a god damn socialist; that right there will be used against him 24/7.
    a) he's a democratic socialist; and b) that's why he's so popular. It might be used against him, but it will also be used FOR him, as it has been to this point. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think of socialism as a dirty word, although it's had a mixed history of success here in the States.  But I agree the label will be potent with the older generation of voters, who are the most engaged.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think of socialism as a dirty word, although it's had a mixed history of success here in the States.  But I agree the label will be potent with the older generation of voters, who are the most engaged.  
    :lol:
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

*Source - US Census Bureau
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

Smart enough to know that political engagement isn't coextensive with voting. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

You should go back to elementary school and learn about 'context clues'.  The entire context of this conversation I'm having with McGruff and lex is about the election.  Stop being an argumentative dolt.  When you said you would only comment on things where you had some knowledge, I assumed we would only hear from you on the trans page.  You've broken your promise very quickly.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

I’m living your continued practice of condescending post. Creating quite the history. 
    I try to limit my condescension to the posters here who've earned it. I suppose I could emulate you and extend it to all voters who aren't as rational and policy-driven as you are. 
    You are drawing quite the picture here.

if someone isn’t basing their vote in the DNC primary based on the positions of the candidates...what are they basing them on?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

You should go back to elementary school and learn about 'context clues'.  The entire context of this conversation I'm having with McGruff and lex is about the election.  Stop being an argumentative dolt.  When you said you would only comment on things where you had some knowledge, I assumed we would only hear from you on the trans page.  You've broken your promise very quickly.  
    No matter how hard you try, you still manage to misread things. It's almost endearing. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

if someone isn’t basing their vote in the DNC primary based on the positions of the candidates...what are they basing them on?
    A) Whatever the fuck they want. B ) You're changing your position now that I've called you on it. 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

No matter how hard you try, you still manage to misread things. It's almost endearing. 
    I know exactly what you're saying.  But it's not a relevant argument when discussing how VOTERS will react to the policy debates.  Any by every measure, every exit poll, even piece of census data,  it's crystal clear that older voters are the MOST likely to participate in an election. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

A) Whatever the fuck they want. B) You're changing your position now that I've called you on it. 
    Ummm what? I said that 1 issue voters are ignoring a lot and I don’t believe that is a good thing. 

So - you thinks it’s good to vote for a political candidate based on things other than their actual political positions?  Hair color? Shoe size? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

I think that political engagement and voting should track pretty closely (unless you disagree with that, which I'd be curious to hear why), which would permit you to use it as a proxy metric at least for trending. Most people who are politically engaged want to do something with that engagement, and I can't imagine they'd forfeit their votes. On the opposite side, even if the argument is that younger people reverse this skew with outsized non-voting political engagement, I'd say its effectiveness should be based on seeing these voting rates increase over time, yet they appear to be more or less stable (and slightly declining in some cases), so an outsized non-vote impact to round up that political engagement from other avenues, doesn't seem to be present either. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

I know exactly what you're saying.  But it's not a relevant argument when discussing how VOTERS will react to the policy debates.  Any by every measure, every exit poll, even piece of census data,  it's crystal clear that older voters are the MOST likely to participate in an election. 
    Apparently not, because you just entirely ignored the misreading to which I was referring. Adorable. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

A) Whatever the fuck they want. B) You're changing your position now that I've called you on it. 
    Ummm what? I said that 1 issue voters are ignoring a lot and I don’t believe that is a good thing. 

So - you thinks it’s good to vote for a political candidate based on things other than their actual political positions?  Hair color? Shoe size? 
    There are variations of the old saying that fits here, Cincy...

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"
    "Never argue with crazy.  They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

"Never argue with crazy.  They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
    True enough. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjs said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

I think that political engagement and voting should track pretty closely (unless you disagree with that, which I'd be curious to hear why), which would permit you to use it as a proxy metric at least for trending. Most people who are politically engaged want to do something with that engagement, and I can't imagine they'd forfeit their votes. On the opposite side, even if the argument is that younger people reverse this skew with outsized non-voting political engagement, I'd say its effectiveness should be based on seeing these voting rates increase over time, yet they appear to be more or less stable (and slightly declining in some cases), so an outsized non-vote impact to round up that political engagement from other avenues, doesn't seem to be present either. 
    I don't entirely disagree with you, but I'm surrounded by people whose political engagement far exceeds voting. Look at Sanders's popularity and the demographics of votes he's pulling. There's a reason; that reason has a lot to do with political engagement; and that political engagement is coming largely from young people. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

You started by judging people for HOW they were evaluating candidates' positions ("Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party."). Now you've shifted to accusing them of not basing their decision on positions at all. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

Aww. You've moved past our conversation? True to form. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    benjs said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You're really smart.  

I don't entirely disagree with you, but I'm surrounded by people whose political engagement far exceeds voting. Look at Sanders's popularity and the demographics of votes he's pulling. There's a reason; that reason has a lot to do with political engagement; and that political engagement is coming largely from young people. 
    And if they don't turnout to vote, then what's the point?  You work in a privileged world of higher education and certainly not representative of all young people.  So your analysis that is completely anecdotal is fundamentally flawed when compared to the empirical data of actual voting results by age demographic.  And in every one of those data sets, the cohort of older voters participate in the election at a higher rate than young people.  Which was exactly my point that I'm 100% sure Lex and McGruff understood.  
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely

You started by judging people for HOW they were evaluating candidates' positions ("Well if jumping from a Warren to an Amy or vice versa there are certainly jumping the entire length of the policy debate within the party."). Now you've shifted to accusing them of not basing their decision on positions at all. 
    I wasn’t judging. SC said that people were jumping. I said and still believe that between the candidates left in the race that is a pretty giant leap policy wise. So they are making their decision based on either 1 main issue or not on issues, it seems. 

Anyone know how to get the ignore feature? I am trying from my phone but can seem to find it.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.