Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Answer to my own question:

"As former Vice President Joe Biden prepared his closing statement at the Nevada Democratic primary debate on Wednesday night, protestors began to yell “You deported 3 million people.”

The crowed booed as protested continued to yell, and Biden began speaking again once they left the room.

The undetermined number of protestors seem to be referring to to Biden’s role in the Obama administration, which deported over 3 million people.

The immigrant rights organization the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services, or RAICES Action, took credit for the protest on social media."

https://time.com/5787277/joe-biden-protesters-debate-nevada/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    Bloomberg is so fucking lost 
    Another old coot who stammers through shit.  (And he knew he would get some of these questions, beyond a doubt.  Embarrassed for him/whomever was meant to prepare him.  What a shit showing )
    Kinda like a singer with red wine.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

David Crosby, who has been feuding with his CSNY band mates, addressed the possibility of a reunion in the penultimate installment of Osiris’ Freak Flag Flying podcast. “If Neil (Young) calls me up and says ‘listen, we’ve got to do some gigs … now that Elizabeth Warren is our candidate we’ve got to do some gigs for her in battleground states, what do you think?’ I’d say ‘what time does the bus leave?,’” David noted. “I’d work it out, I don’t care if [Graham] Nash likes me or not. The purpose would exceed all of that.”

“Comes a time when we all have to set aside our differences for the common good. I believe CSNY have a role to play in saving the country we love. Your support of the Democratic candidate for president would help unite us. Save our country,” wrote a NYA subscriber. “For the common good! Anything is possible,”

Great idea, it sure worked for well for Hillary having all sorts of musicians campaign for her 2016....The BOSS, Jon Bon Jovi, Beyoncé and Jazi, Lady Gaga, J-Lo, to name a few off the top of my head.   Oh these Democrats are the gift that keeps on giving.  They will never learn that most people go to concerts for a release on their complicated lives for a few hours, not be lectured by out of touch wealthy artists.... I am sure EV will have plenty to say in coming months unfortunately for those who just want to Rock!!!   

CSNY is a whole different thing.  Anyone who has followed them all these long years knows that.  You can set that in stone.
    brianlux said:

David Crosby, who has been feuding with his CSNY band mates, addressed the possibility of a reunion in the penultimate installment of Osiris’ Freak Flag Flying podcast. “If Neil (Young) calls me up and says ‘listen, we’ve got to do some gigs … now that Elizabeth Warren is our candidate we’ve got to do some gigs for her in battleground states, what do you think?’ I’d say ‘what time does the bus leave?,’” David noted. “I’d work it out, I don’t care if [Graham] Nash likes me or not. The purpose would exceed all of that.”

“Comes a time when we all have to set aside our differences for the common good. I believe CSNY have a role to play in saving the country we love. Your support of the Democratic candidate for president would help unite us. Save our country,” wrote a NYA subscriber. “For the common good! Anything is possible,”

Great idea, it sure worked for well for Hillary having all sorts of musicians campaign for her 2016....The BOSS, Jon Bon Jovi, Beyoncé and Jazi, Lady Gaga, J-Lo, to name a few off the top of my head.   Oh these Democrats are the gift that keeps on giving.  They will never learn that most people go to concerts for a release on their complicated lives for a few hours, not be lectured by out of touch wealthy artists.... I am sure EV will have plenty to say in coming months unfortunately for those who just want to Rock!!!   

CSNY is a whole different thing.  Anyone who has followed them all these long years knows that.  You can set that in stone.
    Ya, well they say about The Boss as well....How’d that turn out???
    Perhaps Progressive Activist David Crosby drank himself through another liver,  Bankrupt  again and needs to get on “ A Cause” to become relevant again to make that $$$.....what a role model and lovely person he is...

What a disgusting comment.
    Sorry, stating the truth is often painful... do a simple google search to learn about all the wonderful things this man has done.  It sure must be nice to be a rock star.  Anyone of us would have done 5-10 years for Aggravated DUI....I wonder if Phil Collins paid for “the accident” like he helped Crosby jump the line to get a fresh liver in 94...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Perhaps Progressive Activist David Crosby drank himself through another liver,  Bankrupt  again and needs to get on “ A Cause” to become relevant again to make that $$$.....what a role model and lovely person he is...

Sorry, stating the truth is often painful... do a simple google search to learn about all the wonderful things this man has done.  It sure must be nice to be a rock star.  Anyone of us would have done 5-10 years for Aggravated DUI....I wonder if Phil Collins paid for “the accident” like he helped Crosby jump the line to get a fresh liver in 94...
    Not pained, but still reviled by the comment itself.

Doesn’t really matter, anyway. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Lindamarie, there is a really fine music documentary about the late 60's Southern California/ Laurel Canyon music scene called "Echo in the Canyon."  Jakob Dylan conducts many of the interviews with surviving members of that music scene.  At one point, Dylan asks Crosby about being fired from the Byrds.  Croz answers, "You know why I was fired from The Byrds?,"  and he looks straight into the camera and says with emphasis, "I was fired from The Byrds because I was an asshole."   The man is fallible, but honest and not afraid to admit he made mistakes.  Are you capable of the same?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 346
    edited February 2020
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Lindamarie, there is a really fine music documentary about the late 60's Southern California/ Laurel Canyon music scene called "Echo in the Canyon."  Jakob Dylan conducts many of the interviews with surviving members of that music scene.  At one point, Dylan asks Crosby about being fired from the Byrds.  Croz answers, "You know why I was fired from The Byrds?,"  and he looks straight into the camera and says with emphasis, "I was fired from The Byrds because I was an asshole."   The man is fallible, but honest and not afraid to admit he made mistakes.  Are you capable of the same?
    I sure am willing to admit my mistakes, but don’t know what mistake I made by calling out a hypocrite and in my opinion a total POS....perhaps having a parent who did not drink or do drugs die of liver disease at a early age has something to do with it.  That’s when I stopped believing in unicorns and ferries....made me grow up real quick.  

Post edited by lindamarie73 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

I sure am willing to admit my mistakes, but don’t know what mistake I made by calling out a hypocrite and in my opinion a total POS....perhaps having a parent who did not drink or do drugs die of liver disease at a early age has something to do with it.  That’s when I stopped believing in unicorns and ferries....made grow up real quick.  

I'm sorry for your loss.

About the rest, I have nothing to say other than in my opinion, those comments are totally inappropriate.  But then maybe I'm an asshole too.  Could be worse company, I guess.

Anyway, back on topic (please!).  I'm really curious as to what some of you thought about this debate.  The last one I thought was great.  It gave me a really positive vibe about these candidates.  After seeing it, I said to myself, "I could happily vote for any of these people!"  After tonight's debate, I said to myself, "Good GOD!  That was ugly.  I don't know which of these people I would feel good about voting for at this point."  To me it was just typically ugly smear politics as usual. 

But maybe I missed something.  What about you folks?

• Options
    Ugliness abounds! The debate was no different. Definitely didn’t sway me, and left me unsurprisingly disappointed. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

I sure am willing to admit my mistakes, but don’t know what mistake I made by calling out a hypocrite and in my opinion a total POS....perhaps having a parent who did not drink or do drugs die of liver disease at a early age has something to do with it.  That’s when I stopped believing in unicorns and ferries....made me grow up real quick.  

And I had a father, a fine man, who died of cancer. I’m willing to bet most of us have lost a beloved someone due to disease beyond their control (or not). Changes nothing for me.

By the way, i’ve heard late or overcrowded ferries can be a real bitch. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

And I had a father, a fine man, who died of cancer. I’m willing to bet most of us have lost a beloved someone due to disease beyond their control (or not). Changes nothing for me.

By the way, i’ve heard late or overcrowded ferries can be a real bitch. 

Especially when they are overcrowded with unicorns that keep poking you in the butt! :grimacing:

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    edited February 2020
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

My Man Crosby didn't vote for Trump though at least.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The team up against Bloomberg. Haha. What a smackdown. And Liz leading the charge. 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Pete and Amy do not like each other. Vicious attacks about not knowing the name of the mexican president (closest country/biggest tradeparty, but is just a shoulder shrug for Amy. But not for Pete)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    BERNIE: JOE SAID IT RIGHT. THIS IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS CHUCK?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Bernies "thank you for making my point" laugh when Pete says "The number one place to live out the American Dream right now is Denmark"
  • Options
    So fucking good that Bernie told Pete straight about him deliberately misrepresenting his health care plan. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DEBATE RANKING

1. Warren (fighting to survive. Killed Bloomberg all by herself)
    2. Sanders (Energized and refuted attacks ("if not capitalist it must be communism" "Your healthcare plan is expensive" effecticly. 
    3. Pete (Best at showing an alternative to Sanders)
    4. Biden (Not bad per se but disappeared a lot)
    5. Amy (think's her "punchlines" are smarter and more fun then they are)
    6. Bloomberg (a Trump test dummie)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    BERNIE: JOE SAID IT RIGHT. THIS IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS CHUCK?

Yes. Bernie guarantees trump four more years.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Nope. But Bloomberg would.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    New Hampshire moron buys into Bernies Fake news about fake news. 

Quitcha bitching Bernie and Bros.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928

That would be correct.  I loved when Pete called him out for not being a democrat.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

As someone who doesn't subscribe to cable, this site and several other online sources make up the vast majority of exposure I see to any candidate. From where I stand, all I see is that there's some Swedish dude who posts Bernie Sanders trailers usually several times in a row, typically daily. I couldn't say the same for any other candidate. In many ways, I find that even less believable than mainstream media when someone messages so consistently and refuses to play one's own devil's advocate. This is the danger of giving megaphones to everyone, while everyone is still only consuming bite-sized and un-nuanced news (going on the assumption that modern society has a general aversion to reading, spending more time than we have to, and an epidemic of sensory overload, and that this would extend even to the holy Bernie Sanders supporters).

I'm not fearful, nor hysterical, and feel that any remaining politician on the Democratic side can beat Trump. The reason Sanders certainly wouldn't have my vote in the primaries, is that my goal isn't to see a progressive president get nothing done - it's to have someone poised to institute progressive changes, whether big or small, in an effort to leave something better than it started, and to leave progress more attainable after office than before. 

One thing I want to mention about the Bernie Bros concept and this supposed 'unwavering but aggressive cohort', is that we should all remember there is still most definitely Russian intervention abound, and Russia's go-to move is to confuse Americans by advocating on all sides. Whether Bernie Bros or Pete Pals, we should actually be going on a default assumption that the discourse is being invisibly driven by oppositional forces regardless of who we're committed to, and that some of the people we think we're arguing, are frankly paid to be there and start and participate in those arguments. Are there ideologues who won't waver in supporting Sanders' vision? I'd expect so, just as I'd expect from any other candidate - the difference is, the 'stickiness' of the ideology of the left seems to be stronger than the stickiness of the of the centrists - I'd guess that's largely because center isn't an ideology, it's a balancing and necessary compromising of two sides of a spectrum. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    benjs said:

As someone who doesn't subscribe to cable, this site and several other online sources make up the vast majority of exposure I see to any candidate. From where I stand, all I see is that there's some Swedish dude who posts Bernie Sanders trailers usually several times in a row, typically daily. I couldn't say the same for any other candidate. In many ways, I find that even less believable than mainstream media when someone messages so consistently and refuses to play one's own devil's advocate. This is the danger of giving megaphones to everyone, while everyone is still only consuming bite-sized and un-nuanced news (going on the assumption that modern society has a general aversion to reading, spending more time than we have to, and an epidemic of sensory overload, and that this would extend even to the holy Bernie Sanders supporters).

I'm not fearful, nor hysterical, and feel that any remaining politician on the Democratic side can beat Trump. The reason Sanders certainly wouldn't have my vote in the primaries, is that my goal isn't to see a progressive president get nothing done - it's to have someone poised to institute progressive changes, whether big or small, in an effort to leave something better than it started, and to leave progress more attainable after office than before. 

One thing I want to mention about the Bernie Bros concept and this supposed 'unwavering but aggressive cohort', is that we should all remember there is still most definitely Russian intervention abound, and Russia's go-to move is to confuse Americans by advocating on all sides. Whether Bernie Bros or Pete Pals, we should actually be going on a default assumption that the discourse is being invisibly driven by oppositional forces regardless of who we're committed to, and that some of the people we think we're arguing, are frankly paid to be there and start and participate in those arguments. Are there ideologues who won't waver in supporting Sanders' vision? I'd expect so, just as I'd expect from any other candidate - the difference is, the 'stickiness' of the ideology of the left seems to be stronger than the stickiness of the of the centrists - I'd guess that's largely because center isn't an ideology, it's a balancing and necessary compromising of two sides of a spectrum. 
    It is an ideology--one invested in maintaining the status quo. That's what "moderates" or "centrists" have done for centuries. I'll leave it to you to decide how many times (historically) they were on the right side of things....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

That would be correct.  I loved when Pete called him out for not being a democrat.  
    I like that people here are all "Sanders guarantees Trump four more years............because I refuse to vote for Sanders!" 
  • Options

Would I rather have four more years of Trump or eight years of Bloomberg (or, alternately, 4 years of Bloomberg and four years of whatever POS beats him in 2024)? 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Better create a separate thread for that so you don't flood this one....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I like that people here are all "Sanders guarantees Trump four more years............because I refuse to vote for Sanders!" 
    I think I m the only person here who would vote trump over sanders.   ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think I m the only person here who would vote trump over sanders.   ;)
    Yeah, you're the [redacted] I was pointing at. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:

Would I rather have four more years of Trump or eight years of Bloomberg (or, alternately, 4 years of Bloomberg and four years of whatever POS beats him in 2024)? 
    If once perception is that electing republican egomaniac Billionaire Bloomberg as a democratic president would shatter any credibility of the democratic party - than voting in 4 more years of Trump over the damage Bloomberg would do makes the choice even easier. 

But voting in Bernie "The nordic countries seem to do things quite right" Sanders saves everyone the trouble of the Sophies choice.
This discussion has been closed.