Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited February 2020
    As I said, I have about another hour to watch tonight.  BUt from what I saw, I sure hope Bloomberg goes away or at least his support does.  That guy is running on elect-ability and his elect-ability seems to be among the lowest based on his inability to be effective on a debate stage.  He made Joe Biden look put together on the stage...and that is tough to do.
    Nobody benefited last night from Bloomberg's involvement more than Biden. He was just able to sit back, let Warren and Sanders pummel Bloomberg, and sneak in his own shots at Bloomberg here and there. 

I actually thought he did a good job last night when speaking too. Not as much fumbling over words as in past debates.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    As I said, I have about another hour to watch tonight.  BUt from what I saw, I sure hope Bloomberg goes away or at least his support does.  That guy is running on elect-ability and his elect-ability seems to be among the lowest based on his inability to be effective on a debate stage.  He made Joe Biden look put together on the stage...and that is tough to do.
    Nobody benefited last night from Bloomberg's involvement than Biden. He was just able to sit back, let Warren and Sanders pummel Bloomberg, and sneak in his own shots at Bloomberg here and there. 

I actually thought he did a good job last night when speaking too. Not as much fumbling over words as in past debates.
    Yeah so far from what I've seen Joe was doing ok.  I do find it funny...whenever he talks it's always... "remember me? I'm the guy that obama let do stuff"  "remember me? I've been to mexico"  

Joe I remember you, I'd like to forget you, but you won't let me!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Would be interesting to get a ranking of all the people afterwards from you. I think we see it quite differently
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Nobody benefited last night from Bloomberg's involvement than Biden. He was just able to sit back, let Warren and Sanders pummel Bloomberg, and sneak in his own shots at Bloomberg here and there. 

Yeah so far from what I've seen Joe was doing ok.  I do find it funny...whenever he talks it's always... "remember me? I'm the guy that obama let do stuff"  "remember me? I've been to mexico"  

Joe I remember you, I'd like to forget you, but you won't let me!
    There was a funny part when they were talking about Amy not knowing the name of the Mexican president. Pete was taking her to task, she was being defensive, and Biden blurts out "I'm the only one up here who's met this man!" 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Nobody benefited last night from Bloomberg's involvement more than Biden. He was just able to sit back, let Warren and Sanders pummel Bloomberg, and sneak in his own shots at Bloomberg here and there. 

Do you notice how frequently Joe Biden switches thoughts, mid-sentence?
    He will be answering/speaking about one thing and then just start trying to say something else.
    Sorta like my 5 year old...I was laughing about it.
    He was best served to let the others talk for a night.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

He will be answering/speaking about one thing and then just start trying to say something else.
    Sounds like a winner.
  • Options

Yeah I have noticed that. And I agree, less could be more for Joe. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Would be interesting to get a ranking of all the people afterwards from you. I think we see it quite differently
    Yup, and that's ok.  I'll add my thoughts after I'm done.  Based on the 1st 40 minutes I'd say Pete and Warren (though I'm surprised at her tactic here to be bernie's attack dog for him rather than going after the leader) were having the best night.  Joe probably 3rd as Bloomberg made Joe look viable by being so bad himself.  Bernie probably next, nothing new, nothing amazing, but no attacks that hurt much.  Disappointed in Amy so far, she is letting 1 small miss-step ruin her whole campaign (and to be honest I think it's a stupid issue to make and disappointed in Pete).  Then Bloomberg...just awful.  For those keeping score, at halftime, 3 tiers:
    1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Yeah I have noticed that. And I agree, less could be more for Joe. 
    Yup, it's annoying.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
     (though I'm surprised at her tactic here to be bernie's attack dog for him rather than going after the leader) 

Warren is trying to court Bernie voters, not piss them off. Going after Bloomberg I think strategically was her only move.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    dignin said:
     (though I'm surprised at her tactic here to be bernie's attack dog for him rather than going after the leader) 

Warren is trying to court Bernie voters, not piss them off. Going after Bloomberg I think strategically was her only move.
    100% true, but at some point she has to move on them unless she thinks she's going to peel enough moderate voters off to overtake Bernie.  I don't think that's possible though.  But who knows. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

You don't get Bernie voters without giving them a reason to leave bernie.  So while a reasonable position, I disgree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

100% true, but at some point she has to move on them unless she thinks she's going to peel enough moderate voters off to overtake Bernie.  I don't think that's possible though.  But who knows. 
    It doesn't look like she can overtake Bernie at this point, he has the progressive momentum. I think she probably knows this. But if something big happens (scandal, health issues) she needs to stay in good standing with those Bernie bro's. It's a shitty position to be in.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

It doesn't look like she can overtake Bernie at this point, he has the progressive momentum. I think she probably knows this. But if something big happens (scandal, health issues) she needs to stay in good standing with those Bernie bro's. It's a shitty position to be in.
    Ah, I see your point.  Could be.  But that's not running to win anymore.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

You and @dignin might like this article in Reason, as a summary of last night.  They called Warren Queen of the Ashes, as she seeks to burn down all of the other candidates.  It's a short but pretty accurate read in totality, at least from my fairly centrist perspective.  https://reason.com/2020/02/20/warren-queen-of-the-ashes-debate-bloomberg-sanders-convention/
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

You and @dignin might like this article in Reason, as a summary of last night.  They called Warren Queen of the Ashes, as she seeks to burn down all of the other candidates.  It's a short but pretty accurate read in totality, at least from my fairly centrist perspective.  https://reason.com/2020/02/20/warren-queen-of-the-ashes-debate-bloomberg-sanders-convention/
    Thanks, was a good read. Liked this...

" Might that be a sign that she's playing fullback for Sanders?" 

I see it as her being his lap dog/attack dog and I do find it perplexing.  I guess if you have given up winning you shoot for 2nd place (VP)?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    This election is going to be even worse than Trump-Clinton.  Trump-Sanders...a lose lose.

Tell it to the SCs of the world.

In reality Bernie has zero health care plan as there's no way in hell his gets passed by congress.
    Exactly. That's why this notion that Bernie will turn the country into Soviet Russia is absurd. If elected president, he'd be blocked at every turn by the congress (both Republicans and moderate democrats). But at least he'd return the country to a bit of normalcy following Trump.

I also think it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can beat Trump. If it's down to just the two of them in the general, anything can happen. As was the case in 2016. 2020 will likely be the highest voter turnout ever. And the democrats are pretty good at registering young people to vote. So if they actually backed Sanders to the fullest, it's possible he can win. But they probably won't. They'll cross their arms and pout, and blame people that voted for Sanders in the primary for Trump's re-election. 
    I agree. Is there a name for the moderate bro's?

A lot of running around with their hair on fire at a potential Sanders nomination. I guess now they know how progressives feel about moderate candidates and their fear that they can't win.

Everyone just needs to calm down and prepare to do everything they can to get whoever is the nominee elected. Unite and stop the whining. 
    I have several acquaintances that I refer to as militant moderates. They're the people who rarely have any ideas, but they LOVE to talk about how everyone else's ideas are just too crazy. You can identify the militant moderate because they're always using the words "compromise," "reasonable," "consensus," "progress," and the like. For some people, it's an ethos--no matter the situation (a presidential election, a department meeting, chatting over beers) you can count on them to eye-roll any notion beyond the most milquetoast banality. 
    I'm shocked to learn you label another group of people...shocked I say!
    "People say they want that...but their actions show they don't.  They want a loud-mouthed person blaming someone else for their problems and talking about policies that even their staunches supporters in congress say can't happen."
    Ummmmm....I didn't give them a nickname like you and your buddy Trump always do...nor did I claim they are sexist, racist, etc or invent a fake dog whistle narrative to deflect from discussing a topic.  Oh, I forgot "strawman"...didn't do that either.
    You didn't forget straw man; you never understood it in the first place. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Some interesting comments from my favorite former candidate, Andrew Yang, on last nights debate:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    This election is going to be even worse than Trump-Clinton.  Trump-Sanders...a lose lose.

In reality Bernie has zero health care plan as there's no way in hell his gets passed by congress.
    Exactly. That's why this notion that Bernie will turn the country into Soviet Russia is absurd. If elected president, he'd be blocked at every turn by the congress (both Republicans and moderate democrats). But at least he'd return the country to a bit of normalcy following Trump.

I also think it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can beat Trump. If it's down to just the two of them in the general, anything can happen. As was the case in 2016. 2020 will likely be the highest voter turnout ever. And the democrats are pretty good at registering young people to vote. So if they actually backed Sanders to the fullest, it's possible he can win. But they probably won't. They'll cross their arms and pout, and blame people that voted for Sanders in the primary for Trump's re-election. 

A lot of running around with their hair on fire at a potential Sanders nomination. I guess now they know how progressives feel about moderate candidates and their fear that they can't win.

Everyone just needs to calm down and prepare to do everything they can to get whoever is the nominee elected. Unite and stop the whining. 
    I have several acquaintances that I refer to as militant moderates. They're the people who rarely have any ideas, but they LOVE to talk about how everyone else's ideas are just too crazy. You can identify the militant moderate because they're always using the words "compromise," "reasonable," "consensus," "progress," and the like. For some people, it's an ethos--no matter the situation (a presidential election, a department meeting, chatting over beers) you can count on them to eye-roll any notion beyond the most milquetoast banality. 
    "People say they want that...but their actions show they don't.  They want a loud-mouthed person blaming someone else for their problems and talking about policies that even their staunches supporters in congress say can't happen."
    Ummmmm....I didn't give them a nickname like you and your buddy Trump always do...nor did I claim they are sexist, racist, etc or invent a fake dog whistle narrative to deflect from discussing a topic.  Oh, I forgot "strawman"...didn't do that either.
    Ummmm..ok.  

I actually was just going back through that old thread.  Man you ruined it.  Try not to ruin this one.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Ummmm..ok.  

I actually was just going back through that old thread.  Man you ruined it.  Try not to ruin this one.
    be better than this. 

now time to discuss the debate UNBIASED in all its glory. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Ummmm..ok.  

Maybe I’m Steve. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    In 2016, the DNC put forward a right-leaning moderate that got no one excited. At least Sanders has a base. 
    Completely agree. People that like him, REALLY like him. And people that are skeptical can maybe see the good in him if he's up against Trump. It might not be a contest between capitalism and socialism. It might be a contest between Trump and Sanders. Who do you like more? The more likeable canidate seems to win most of the time, Obama being a good example. 

Well that's the problem with Sanders, something I was thinking about this morning.  He has one disposition...angry.  That's it.  He smiles once in a while but is generally humorless, and I always feel like he's yelling at me.  I don't know that it plays well in a general.  
    It doesn’t and it won’t. Young people A. Don’t vote in large enough percentages to sway an election and B. There aren’t enough of them, demographically speaking.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I'd love to see a ticket of two women trounce trump. he'd have a heart attack while taking his next McDump. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'd love to see a ticket of two women trounce trump. he'd have a heart attack while taking his next McDump. 
    A 2 woman ticket would piss all over trump! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    How about a gay guy and a woman?  Wouldn't that be even sweeter?  Or Pete and Cory... gay guy and black guy.  
  • Options
    We can't have nice things around here..
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mrussel1 said:
    How about a gay guy and a woman?  Wouldn't that be even sweeter?  Or Pete and Cory... gay guy and black guy.  
    either way. i would fucking love it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Looks like I was half right. Ruined a thread, just  not this one...yet
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Just to be clear, could I have the list of people who are allowed to name call and those who aren't?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Just to be clear, could I have the list of people who are allowed to name call and those who aren't?
    I hope you keep this up. 
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.