Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    A thought experiment: imagine the election was Trump v. Someone you personally think is worse than Trump (an almost unfathomable monster). Would you vote for Trump?
    It's a difficult question because as much as I'm against his policies,  his moral turpitude is worse.  If Trump was still a Democrat, with this exact level of dishonesty,  divisiveness,  etc., and he ran against Romney or Kasich, I would vote Republican in a second. 
    And if it were Trump v. Stalin?
    That's kind of silly, but no I would not vote for the guy that purged his generals, set up the gulags and committed genocide against 7-10 million Ukrainians including my own extended family.  Feels like an easy choice.  
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    A thought experiment: imagine the election was Trump v. Someone you personally think is worse than Trump (an almost unfathomable monster). Would you vote for Trump?
    Yes, I would.  It's hard to imagine a candidate that bad, though.
    Why do you ask?
    How much worse would the candidate have to be for you to vote Trump? 100%? 50%? 1%?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    It's a difficult question because as much as I'm against his policies,  his moral turpitude is worse.  If Trump was still a Democrat, with this exact level of dishonesty,  divisiveness,  etc., and he ran against Romney or Kasich, I would vote Republican in a second. 
    When are you going to get around to making your point?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ecdanc said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    Yes, I would.  It's hard to imagine a candidate that bad, though.
    Why do you ask?
    How much worse would the candidate have to be for you to vote Trump? 100%? 50%? 1%?
    I doubt I could put a percentage to it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited February 2020
    I don't get the question. 

If it stands between Trump and (Trump + 1% worse). Then you vote Trump ofc...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    That's kind of silly, but no I would not vote for the guy that purged his generals, set up the gulags and committed genocide against 7-10 million Ukrainians including my own extended family.  Feels like an easy choice.  
    So you’d vote for Trump?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

I really hope Amy can pull it off.  She's smart, she doesn't shirk the hard questions, and she knows when to use humor and when to be serious.  Surge, Amy Klobuchar!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    When are you going to get around to making your point?
    I’m simply trying to discern who here is, at least, logically consistent and who’s moralistically grandstanding. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    Well there could be a third party,  I could be traveling for work or Mephistopheles might jump in at the last moment.  You've migrated into silliness. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't understand why they would be showing up to protest Pete and not every other candidate?  Or is this just the media monstering our nothings.
    Cause Bernie is scared of Pete and has unleashed his dogs.
    That's actually the opposite of what Bernie has done.
    Uh sure. I believe him.
    Just go with your gut then, ignore everything that he has said publicly these past couple of weeks.

I know you've convinced me with all the evidence you've presented.

That dark conspiracy runs deep.
    Pete Pals are sowing distrust. I think we all need to be wary of them and how they are behaving online.

I even believe there could be russian bots behind a lot of the Pete Paling on the internet.

/s

Distrust against who?  Can you provide some specific examples?  I’ve seen you type Pete’s Pals but as of now I think it’s a Bernie counterattack, not a real swarm of people who act like Bernies.. My general,assumption now is Pete’s supporters are moderate democrats with jobs and kids, having better things to do than harass people online.  
    Notice the spoiler.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    Well there could be a third party,  I could be traveling for work or Mephistopheles might jump in at the last moment.  You've migrated into silliness. 
    So you accept the logical and moral validity of not voting for Bloomberg, Buttigieg, etc. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    So you accept the logical and moral validity of not voting for Bloomberg, Buttigieg, etc. 
    No, because the comparisons you drew were stupid. But at the end of the day, I don't care if you vote or not nor have I spent a moment reflecting on your personal decisions to vote or not to vote for the D candidate.  I could not care less.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    No, because the comparisons you drew were stupid. But at the end of the day, I don't care if you vote or not nor have I spent a moment reflecting on your personal decisions to vote or not to vote for the D candidate.  I could not care less.  
    So you’re moralistically grandstanding. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    You're comparing Pete to Stalin.  That's absurd.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    Wow, you really missed the point on this one. 

You couldn't bring yourself to say you'd vote for Trump, even if he was running against Stalin. Presumably, that's because you find Trump so repugnant that you can't imagine yourself under any circumstances voting for them--there's a basic threshold beyond which you would say "no, I just can't." 

Many of us have that. Some here want to claim that we're abdicating from our moral duty if we refuse to vote for some of these candidates, but we just draw the line in a different place than you. 

(FYI: I was comparing Trump to Stalin in the thought experiment). 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?

You couldn't bring yourself to say you'd vote for Trump, even if he was running against Stalin. Presumably, that's because you find Trump so repugnant that you can't imagine yourself under any circumstances voting for them--there's a basic threshold beyond which you would say "no, I just can't." 

Many of us have that too. Some here want to claim that we're abdicating from our moral duty if we refuse to vote for some of these candidates, but we just draw the line in a different place than you. So you're moralistically grandstanding. 

I already told you that I don't care what you do, so how am I grandstanding?  Don't apply what others type to me.  They're entitled to their opinions but it doesn't always reflect mine,  particularly in regards to what you do or don't do.
  • Options
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?

Many of us have that too. Some here want to claim that we're abdicating from our moral duty if we refuse to vote for some of these candidates, but we just draw the line in a different place than you. So you're moralistically grandstanding. 

I already told you that I don't care what you do, so how am I grandstanding?  Don't apply what others type to me.  They're entitled to their opinions but it doesn't always reflect mine,  particularly in regards to what you do or don't do.
    You’re right. Apologies. Corrected my post 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,127
    ecdanc said:
    Interesting question. I would say no today, but it would be tough on Election Day to just sit out. For me, this is close to trump vs sanders. Though I do not think sanders is as awful a person. Today I say no vote for me....come time who knows? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 
    Read things before falling in line m8.

ecdanc said:

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

Don’t be so condescending I read it. It was dumb.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

Read it again 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

So, you read it? But choice to deliberately post as if you misunderstood it. 

What kind of political argumentation inception is this.

I'm feeling lost enough when mrussel and ecdanc is getting at it. I don't want to be in a Christopher Nolan movie also.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

So Pete is Trump... slightly less absurd. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

Read it again 
    Just did. Thinks it’s a misguided statement. I understand you are not specifically comparing Pete to Stalin. And I understand you are in your own amazing way trying to show how others would vote for trump or stay home versus voting for a democratic candidate that they appear to be worse. I also understand that people have different moral compass's and different things matter to them. 

But I disagree that anyone could look at trump and Pete or Amy or Warren or just about any other them (for me bernie has been an exception but as it gets closer I really don’t know if I could stay at home and not vote against trump) and think that they are so bad that it’s better to stay at home and end up with trump. I think trump is that bad. And I have a hard time seeing how any of those others rose anywhere close. Sure - you’ll say I’m projecting my moral compass, and I guess I am. But I’d like to know what about any of those candidates is worse then trump for someone that considers themselves “democrat” “moderate” “progressive” etc
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    So you’d vote for Trump?
    It’s just crazy. 

ecdanc said:

Read it again 
    Just did. Thinks it’s a misguided statement. I understand you are not specifically comparing Pete to Stalin. And I understand you are in your own amazing way trying to show how others would vote for trump or stay home versus voting for a democratic candidate that they appear to be worse. I also understand that people have different moral compass's and different things matter to them. 

But I disagree that anyone could look at trump and Pete or Amy or Warren or just about any other them (for me bernie has been an exception but as it gets closer I really don’t know if I could stay at home and not vote against trump) and think that they are so bad that it’s better to stay at home and end up with trump. I think trump is that bad. And I have a hard time seeing how any of those others rose anywhere close. Sure - you’ll say I’m projecting my moral compass, and I guess I am. But I’d like to know what about any of those candidates is worse then trump for someone that considers themselves “democrat” “moderate” “progressive” etc
    No one is saying they're worse than Trump; people are saying they're bad enough they can't bring themselves to vote for them. Just like you might do with Sanders and like you might do if forced to vote for Trump (because the other candidate was even worse, per the thought experiment). 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,085
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    You're not gonna get someone to renounce their religion on the record
    I just did. 
    I wasn't referring to everyone. There are plenty of levelheaded people on here, yourself included. 
This discussion has been closed.