#PJLP11 | Breaking news: Pearl Jam are in studio working on a new album

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Pink Floyd's eleventh studio album was The Wall.
    What?! Never realized that.  
    Lets just say they were late bloomers. Dark Side of the Moon was their eighth album, and the rest is history.
    Late bloomers!?!?

Holy fucking shit, man. The Wall was also their penultimate album with at least one guy who could still write decent songs.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    , A Saucerful of Secrets, and Meddle FTW!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    Zod said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    I think the further back you go, the more frequent bands release albums.    It's crazy to look at some of the output of older bands:

The Beatles put out 12 albums in 8 years
    The Doors whole career was in 4 years with 6 albums

I'm sure the list could go on.    I chose those two for easy support of my argument.

I actually wonder about today's musicians.  Not all tracks from classic rock bands are genius.   Some times it's the shear quantity.  A few solid tracks on every album, and you've got a bunch of albums, you can make a steller setlist.

Bands of today seem less frequent with albums.  As per this thread PJ in their first 10 years were pretty prolific but still less than a number of 60's bands.   Bands of today make money touring, so albums can be sparse.   Problem is bands seem to make their best music in their earlier years.   If you're not putting out albums how do you get to that point where you can rock out for 2-3 hours with amazing songs every one knows.

Most people are also only buying single tracks from iTunes these days. I get the hesitation in producing new music at the same pace this late in the game when you can just tour with a catalog like PJ already has.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Lets just say they were late bloomers. Dark Side of the Moon was their eighth album, and the rest is history.
    Late bloomers!?!?

Holy fucking shit, man. The Wall was also their penultimate album with at least one guy who could still write decent songs.

I'm not saying there wasn't anything worthy prior to DSotM, but I think most would agree that is when they found what worked best. They obviously had their struggles as a band and which direction to go was probably the biggest.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Late bloomers!?!?

I'm not saying there wasn't anything worthy prior to DSotM, but I think most would agree that is when they found what worked best. They obviously had their struggles as a band and which direction to go was probably the biggest.
    Most would agree that is when they found what worked best for radio airplay.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Late bloomers!?!?

agree. I bought a Pink Floyd RS magazine a while back, and RW seemed obsessed with what would make them famous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2019
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Late bloomers!?!?

agree. I bought a Pink Floyd RS magazine a while back, and RW seemed obsessed with what would make them famous. 

The Floyd's big 4 from Dark Side to the Wall were a streak of groundbreaking albums at the time. When that streak began, nothing on the radio sounded  like it imo.

They became much more focused on Dark Side and radio programmers followed. Surprisingly, Gilmour was a huge influence on that focused style.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Late bloomers!?!?

I guess it's all relative to what you or I consider "working", but they would not be held in the same regard today had they stopped at 7 albums. I feel that their radio play was a result of becoming so unique they couldn't be ignored, not because they started sounded safe and familiar for radio stations to finally jump on the Floyd bandwagon. My comment of them being late bloomers was not meant to offend anyone, sorry if I did.
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364
    edited September 2019
    Fuck 14 new posts and they're all about Pink Floyd  :o
    EDIT: I do love me some PF...shit I guess this is another PF post. As you were...
    Post edited by CPR7 on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,172
    JW269453 said:
    Zod said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    I think the further back you go, the more frequent bands release albums.    It's crazy to look at some of the output of older bands:

The Beatles put out 12 albums in 8 years
    The Doors whole career was in 4 years with 6 albums

I'm sure the list could go on.    I chose those two for easy support of my argument.

I actually wonder about today's musicians.  Not all tracks from classic rock bands are genius.   Some times it's the shear quantity.  A few solid tracks on every album, and you've got a bunch of albums, you can make a steller setlist.

Bands of today seem less frequent with albums.  As per this thread PJ in their first 10 years were pretty prolific but still less than a number of 60's bands.   Bands of today make money touring, so albums can be sparse.   Problem is bands seem to make their best music in their earlier years.   If you're not putting out albums how do you get to that point where you can rock out for 2-3 hours with amazing songs every one knows.

Most people are also only buying single tracks from iTunes these days. I get the hesitation in producing new music at the same pace this late in the game when you can just tour with a catalog like PJ already has.
    Absolutely.  But then it becomes a chicken and the egg problem.  We can't sell albums, so we're only going to do those every 3 or 4 years, or we're going to release singles here and there.

Then you have live shows, but not a lot of material to draw from.   While you might not make much from albums, I think they greatly benefit live shows.    Especially in your peak years if those albums are amazing front to back.  What would pearl jam live shows be like if they only put out 2 or 3 albums (or 10 to 20 songs) in their first 10 years.    

Which makes sense for the 2nd part of your sentence.   Absolutely.   If you spend the first 10 or 20 years of your career making amazing music, then you've already hit that point where you have more than enough amazing songs to fill a setlist and tour indefinitely.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    CPR7 said:
    Fuck 14 new posts and they're all about Pink Floyd  :o
    EDIT: I do love me some PF...shit I guess this is another PF post. As you were...

I think we can assume no news unless we see 100+ new posts in Porch.

Or get an alt nation update in my news feed. Then I know there's news.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Fun Fact
    Late bloomers!?!?

I guess it's all relative to what you or I consider "working", but they would not be held in the same regard today had they stopped at 7 albums. I feel that their radio play was a result of becoming so unique they couldn't be ignored, not because they started sounded safe and familiar for radio stations to finally jump on the Floyd bandwagon. My comment of them being late bloomers was not meant to offend anyone, sorry if I did.
    Yeah, if they had stopped or kept going in the same direction after Obscured by Clouds, I think they have a similar trajectory as King Crimson. Amazing catalogue, tremendous career, but not selling out stadiums. 
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166

Eddie Vedder ‘Finishing’ With Pearl Jam Revealed

https://www.alternativenation.net/eddie-vedder-finishing-pearl-jam-revealed/

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    FR181798 said:

Eddie Vedder ‘Finishing’ With Pearl Jam Revealed

https://www.alternativenation.net/eddie-vedder-finishing-pearl-jam-revealed/

Glen Hansard... outed by Alternative Nation. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Eddie allude to anything while onstage at Ohana?
  • Options
    my god that site has turned into such a pile of shit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Turned? Was it ever any good? 
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    From the headline I thought he was quitting the band.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    FR181798 said:
    The most effective clickbait always shocks you into clicking.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    TripleB said:
    1991 Ten
    1993 Vs
    1994 Vitalogy 
    1996 No Code
    1998 Yield 
    2000 Binaural
    2002 Riot Act
    2006 Pearl Jam
    2009 Backspacer
    2013 Lightning Bolt
    2020 New Album

Like Max (Peter Falk) said in “Made,” “Is there a pattern forming here?”

I suppose someone could easily include Mirrorball in there as well. Even though it's technically a Neil Young record, it still involved 80% of the band, plus Eddie on two songs.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    yeah, in the beginning, when it was grunge report, and then shortly after he changed to alt nation. he didn't used to have clickbait headlines. but i guess he learned that's how you make money. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNB said:
    yeah, in the beginning, when it was grunge report, and then shortly after he changed to alt nation. he didn't used to have clickbait headlines. but i guess he learned that's how you make money. 

Ha!
    I remembered about "grunge report" earlier today in one of those "Wasn't that a site? What happened to it?" moments.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It sucked as grungereport too.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    It sucked as grungereport too.
    I found it informative, and nowhere near the clickbaity nonsense it is today. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    FR181798 said:
    According to some folks, he already has.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Two shitty albums in a row. Do they dare make it 3?
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    verceman said:
    Eddie allude to anything while onstage at Ohana?
    Not a word. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    on2legs said:
    But they still look like the Foo Fighters so we win. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 924
    DewieCox you have hit the nail on the head. I think the last 4 have been poor. Colour and the shape was fab. That was 1997

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    eboweddie said:
    DewieCox you have hit the nail on the head. I think the last 4 have been poor. Colour and the shape was fab. That was 1997
    I thought Wasting Light was their best in a long while and while they always managed to squeeze a few good tunes in, Concrete and Gold and Sonic Highways are 2 of the worst albums by big name bands I can remember.