sorry folks, in terms of the last 10 years:

foo > pj
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    raindog80 said:
    Someone gives Sonic Highways 9/10 = INSIDER LICENSE REVOKED
    Ehehehe, but i really like the whole concept behind that record.
    I'd give the Sonic Highways Miniseries a 9/10 as it was amazingly good.  Especially the Chicago and Nashville episodes.   I agree on the album rating though.  I'd give it a 5/5.

Wasting Light was my favourite album since the color and the shape.  It was amazingly good.

The thing I've always felt about the Foo Fighters.   Even though many of their albums aren't stellar from front to back, each one has several amazingly good songs.  The fact the kept pumping out albums the entire time, has build them a huge catalog of great tunes to play at live shows.   They can easily play a 2 to 3 hour set of songs everybody knows and sings a long too.

Are the albums good enough to pull of a PJ and play huge amount of deep cuts.   Probably not.   Are they good enough to form an amazing 2 to 3 hour set worth revisiting once every other tour (or once a tour).  Absolutely :)  They put on an amazing show.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Zod said:
    raindog80 said:
    Someone gives Sonic Highways 9/10 = INSIDER LICENSE REVOKED
    Ehehehe, but i really like the whole concept behind that record.
    I'd give the Sonic Highways Miniseries a 9/10 as it was amazingly good.  Especially the Chicago and Nashville episodes.   I agree on the album rating though.  I'd give it a 5/5.

Wasting Light was my favourite album since the color and the shape.  It was amazingly good.

The thing I've always felt about the Foo Fighters.   Even though many of their albums aren't stellar from front to back, each one has several amazingly good songs.  The fact the kept pumping out albums the entire time, has build them a huge catalog of great tunes to play at live shows.   They can easily play a 2 to 3 hour set of songs everybody knows and sings a long too.

Are the albums good enough to pull of a PJ and play huge amount of deep cuts.   Probably not.   Are they good enough to form an amazing 2 to 3 hour set worth revisiting once every other tour (or once a tour).  Absolutely :)  They put on an amazing show.
    a lot of their b sides are killer. and there are more or the same amount as PJ's. They could play an entire set of deep cuts/rarities and it would be a killer show. arguably better than their greatest hits sets they always play. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    90% of their non single album tracks, b-sides and covers are worthless drivel...same song structures and melodic content but without then hooks. So many butchered covers.

They used to push the 2 or 3 decent songs per album and that was fine, but the last two haven’t even had that. 

They do have a nice catalog for a hits set.

Somehow they topped PJ20 for most generic band documentary with Back and Forth

If Foo has been better than PJ the last 10 years I’m assuming we’re discussing something besides music. 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    Starting with Riot Act, I think my favorite songs from the last 4 albums are as follows:

I Am Mine
    You Are
    Bushleaguer
    Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Inside Job
    Amongst the Waves
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    Mind Your Manners
    Pendulum
    Yellow Moon

I think this kinda says to me that I like the more experimental stuff, mixed with 1 or 2 rockers/anthems.   I would be totally fine with an album, though, that skipped the traditonal "radio friendly" songs, and was just totally experimental.  (For what its worth, I think the Gone and Speed of Sound demos are awesome and superior to the album versions. I also think Lightning Bolt is their best anthemic song since probably Yield.   

I guess for me, I would prefer just a bunch of songs, maybe not so spit-shined and polished.....and not worrying about being perfect.  I think part of their process might be some of the issue.  From what I can tell, they dont just get together and jam and come up with stuff.  I think they all do their own pieces, bring them together and then use what sounds the best.  Which is good in its own right....but I think there is something to be said for the guys just getting together and jamming for a while. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    DewieCox said:
    90% of their non single album tracks, b-sides and covers are worthless drivel...same song structures and melodic content but without then hooks. So many butchered covers.

They used to push the 2 or 3 decent songs per album and that was fine, but the last two haven’t even had that. 

If Foo has been better than PJ the last 10 years I’m assuming we’re discussing something besides music. 
    yikes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    The Foo Fighters have a few stellar songs every album and put on a hell of a rock n roll show every time. Period. 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    DewieCox said:

At least foo doc dealt with former drummers with a bit more respect and reality
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    43 new posts since this morning. 0/43 related to a new PJ album. Back to work. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    I was underwhelmed by Foo Fighters at the original Global Citizen festival to the point that I actually forgot for a while that I had seen them. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Holy shit dude.  Someone put this thread out of its misery lol
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Guns N Roses will have a new album out within 6 months. 

The clock is ticking Pearl jaaaam.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    I hear you.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,778
    Please 
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Really?  I thought back and forth was really good?  PJ20 felt a little censored... ie there were places they weren't willing to go and things they didn't want to talk about.    Back and Forth felt similar but it didn't feel like it had that leash.   It seemed to be a less sanitized documentary.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited October 2019
    Is Back and Forth the Wasting Light doc where Krist shows up and plays?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Zod said:
    DewieCox said:

Really?  I thought back and forth was really good?  PJ20 felt a little censored... ie there were places they weren't willing to go and things they didn't want to talk about.    Back and Forth felt similar but it didn't feel like it had that leash.   It seemed to be a less sanitized documentary.
    I agree. Especially with Grohl explaining how the original drummer wasn't good enough to be on the 2nd record, and then he went and re-recorded the drum parts. He comes off like a bit of a dick there, but hey, that's what the leader of a band has to do sometimes....

Or you can send your guitar player to fire the drummer and then not mention it in your documentary. Either way. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I can't remember if it was that one, or a promo doc they did for that album that had that in it.

I just remember being surprised about some of the content of back and forth, is they showed warts and all.
  • Options
    There is obviously a problem when a band sensitive about their image, and being pretty private at the same time want to make a documentary about themselves with a friend of the band. 

It doesn't have to turn into a puff piece. But in many cases it will.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    I think that’s the Sound City documentary 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 638
    RS151862 said:
    I think that’s the Sound City documentary 
    Krist is in both.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    JDime20JDime20 Posts: 192
    DewieCox said:

The great thing about art is that it’s subjective. What you are speaking is opinion, not fact. I love Foo Fighters, but I’m not going to post about it 10 times and beat it to death. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    JDime20 said:
    DewieCox said:

The great thing about art is that it’s subjective. What you are speaking is opinion, not fact. I love Foo Fighters, but I’m not going to post about it 10 times and beat it to death. 
    I’d agree with that. ^^
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JDime20 said:
    DewieCox said:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited October 2019
    on2legs said:
    Would people prefer no Pearl Jam albums the last 6 years or two 5/10 PJ albums?
    I'd personally prefer it if they didn't exist... but that is selfish. There are people who apparently like the last 2 albums.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Would people prefer no Pearl Jam albums the last 6 years or two 5/10 PJ albums?
    I'd personally prefer it if they didn't exist... but that is selfish. There are people who apparently like the last 2 albums.
    Jacob Bannon is one of them!

https://www.talkhouse.com/jacob-bannon-converge-wear-your-wounds-talks-pearl-jams-lightning-bolt/
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    the best foo fighters album from the past decade is sound city, don't @ me
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    I love the FFs, last couple albums have been meh. Wasting Light is a banger though and There is Nothing Left To Lose is amazing.

I saw 64 new replies in this thread and was excited to get some Pearl Jam news. :sleepy:
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    WOW !