Options

Hey how about those 2 missing Ten Club singles!

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited February 2020
    It really is puzzling, they have so many ways they could have solved this. Given unplugged (which I think sold through 10c for $20) as the single for 2 years. Use any number of unreleased demos and live songs. Or just give every member half their dues back for those 2 years and be done with it. That’s what doesn’t make sense, is it should be such an easy fix. There’s no delays in production or fires, they pump out vinyl that they are willing to charge us for. It’s just the ones we paid for 2+ years in advance they can’t figure out how to produce.
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    PB11041 said:
    So...yeah, they are trying to making a living off their music, no shit.
    I get that the music industry has changed but they've already made money off selling us a membership and haven't fulfilled that obligation. Was there a delay on MTV Unplugged or Vault #9? Nope. They were able to announce the sale of these records, sell them and they have all shipped. Will there be a delay on Gigaton? Nope. Not to mention all of the other records they've been able to produce and sell in the last 2 years while sitting on their obligation to the fan club members.

Aluminum foil hat or not, this thread isn't going away. The truth is that Pearl Jam deserves a lawsuit for treating us like pawns. This is not an acceptable way to treat customers let alone fans. This isn't a conspiracy theory and if some don't like this thread, then don't come back.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360

6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Do y'all apply this kind of vigor to social causes? I know this is somehow a social cause to you but I mean other ones.

The real benefits of membership are the lessons we've learned along the way.
  • Options
    sgtppr67sgtppr67 Posts: 241
    edited February 2020
    Well i hope every fan who meets the members of the band out on the road during the 2020 tours asks them about these singles. I doubt they know or even think about them
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    PB11041 said:
    To answer the question above, if we don't get these by EOY, I wouldn't be surprised if someone started a class action suit. Not me, as that sounds like WAY too much work, but I'm sure there are many that would.

And to touch on the personal feel of said singles: Them recently releasing them all for profit, the exact opposite of their original intention, further solidifies that they are a business first and band second.
    I also remember when people bought their records vs streaming single songs or out right robbing them.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. The fan club singles were always for the fan club only, not to be sold, not to hit radio, not to make a profit on, etc. They were strictly for the fan club. This has all changed, and has nothing to do with their commercial releases. 

You mentioning people buying their records does not apply since these were never for sale commercially in the first place. But I guess 'no shit' is a good enough response, and all that can be expected from most people here, rather than an insightful discussion.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    edited February 2020
    i'm not sure why the "just let it go already" crowd continue to comment and bump this thread and antagonize. just ignore it if it bothers you so much or doesn't apply to you. if something doesn't bother me, I generally don't waste my time badgering those that are. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    To answer the question above, if we don't get these by EOY, I wouldn't be surprised if someone started a class action suit. Not me, as that sounds like WAY too much work, but I'm sure there are many that would.

And to touch on the personal feel of said singles: Them recently releasing them all for profit, the exact opposite of their original intention, further solidifies that they are a business first and band second.
    I also remember when people bought their records vs streaming single songs or out right robbing them.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. The fan club singles were always for the fan club only, not to be sold, not to hit radio, not to make a profit on, etc. They were strictly for the fan club. This has all changed, and has nothing to do with their commercial releases. 

You mentioning people buying their records does not apply since these were never for sale commercially in the first place. But I guess 'no shit' is a good enough response, and all that can be expected from most people here, rather than an insightful discussion.
    I would agree all that has changed.  They definitely do make money on them now. How long was it only $10 and that included the single? A long time, and I think before that it may have been even less. I don't believe for one minute that at least half of our dues is straight profit for the band. For $40 the only physical items we got a shirt, single and Deep, all probably produced for under $10. We also got a download code worth $10, but I doubt that cost the band a penny. Add some shipping and we paid $40 for $20 worth of physical goods. I'm not complaining, I thought it was worth the $40 while the single was there. Just stating that the band did make money off the 10C, and thats okay. If they weren't profiting $15 or $20 off a membership then whoever was in charge should be fired. 
    The last 10+ years the club and the single has been around to make the band money. Probably didn't start out that way, but that is how it ended up.
  • Options
    i'm not sure why the "just let it go already" crowd continue to comment and bump this thread and antagonize. just ignore it if it bothers you so much or doesn't apply to you. if something doesn't bother me, I generally don't waste my time badgering those that are. 
    Also, with a new album and tour around the corner, why bitch about this now? I want the Ten Club singles too, but they've fallen down the priority ladder with everything else going on in PJ-world. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Because it feels necessary to provide a counterargument when people start barking about fraud and legal recourse.
  • Options
    I was an analog member both years so I'm owed the singles too. It bothers me that people are using this issue to smear and harm the band and the people involved when the reality is these are inexpensive material items that should be fairly inconsequential to anyone's life, and the last we heard 10C was still trying to get them to us. I guess litigious and impatient people bother me in general. So, yes, I'm advocating for 10C and the band. Part of doing that is putting the issue into perspective or pointing out to people when they're being over the top.

I don't begrudge anyone asking for updates but that's not what this thread is.  "The truth is that Pearl Jam deserves a lawsuit for treating us like pawns"? No, no, no. That's not what is happening here. Not every instance of bad customer service is the rich eating the poor. 
  • Options
    I was an analog member both years so I'm owed the singles too. It bothers me that people are using this issue to smear and harm the band and the people involved when the reality is these are inexpensive material items that should be fairly inconsequential to anyone's life, and the last we heard 10C was still trying to get them to us. I guess litigious and impatient people bother me in general. So, yes, I'm advocating for 10C and the band. Part of doing that is putting the issue into perspective or pointing out to people when they're being over the top.

I don't begrudge anyone asking for updates but that's not what this thread is.  "The truth is that Pearl Jam deserves a lawsuit for treating us like pawns"? No, no, no. That's not what is happening here. Not every instance of bad customer service is the rich eating the poor. 
    +1
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Also, with a new album and tour around the corner, why bitch about this now? I want the Ten Club singles too, but they've fallen down the priority ladder with everything else going on in PJ-world. 
    I hear what you are saying, but at the same time I think for the very reasons you mention this is a more than appropriate time to question where these are. 2019 was so quiet - no album, no shows, not much of anything going on - I did wonder if we were at the end. Were the missing singles just a casualty of there not really being a Pearl Jam anymore? But now with an album and tour we know for sure that is not true. So asking where these are and why is not out of line. That doing so seems to trigger some people continues to be a strange phenomenon. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

I agree that lawsuits are going too far. I wouldn't sign up on a class action lawsuit if I was invited to participate. If I got to the point where I felt I needed to file legal paperwork over this band I would just drop my membership and move on. 
    But you don't think the band has taken advantage of the situation either? If they don't intend to complete it, then why not just send a partial refund? IF they do intent to fulfill their obligation then why not have better communication? We all know they have recordings they can just use and be done with it, so why not? If they wanted to do something very special for the last 2 then why not be upfront about that and tell us? Instead we get an update once or twice a year saying they are in production, meanwhile we see them put out other items and sell them without any problem. 
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    I presume there is a reason. Maybe its some sort of twisted social experiment. Maybe there's a greater reward at the end of this rainbow. Maybe they lost part of the mailing list. Maybe it has something to do with contracts. Maybe the Mariners will win the World Series this year. Glad to be alive. Maybe I'll renew, maybe I won't. The beat goes on.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The lawsuit ideas are ridiculous. Let there be no doubt.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    I'm not advocating for blind faith in the band/club, but I do believe that they'll make good on this eventually. I used to think it was perplexing that they couldn't seem to catch up on these during the comparatively lean years of 2017-2019, but now I choose to look at it the other way - slow times for the band means there's not much material to work with. I feel like in the later years they were trying to make the single something unique (collabs with Jay-Z, Beyonce, Glen Hansard, Josh Homme, RROF, etc.) rather than just pressing something random, and the less they're playing the less opportunities there are. 

The truth is, when these things arrive I spin them a few times and then they end up in the box with the rest of my random 7"s. So it's not urgent that they get to me anytime soon, and it's also not urgent that they "communicate" if there's nothing to communicate (fans of The National are starting to learn this lesson, as we've gotten a couple of rounds of "hey everything's cool re: the annual fan club vinyl we owe you and haven't provided any details on, we're awaiting a shipment from the pressing plant and we hope to have them on the way soon" and people are starting to catch on that it's bullshit). I'd rather wait and have them pick something cool than just press a few random performances of Unthought Known to shut us all up.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I hear what you are saying, but at the same time I think for the very reasons you mention this is a more than appropriate time to question where these are. 2019 was so quiet - no album, no shows, not much of anything going on - I did wonder if we were at the end. Were the missing singles just a casualty of there not really being a Pearl Jam anymore? But now with an album and tour we know for sure that is not true. So asking where these are and why is not out of line. That doing so seems to trigger some people continues to be a strange phenomenon. 
    Yeah I don't disagree with any of this. And like I said, I want the singles too, but some folks are being a little over-the-top about it imo.

And frankly, for me personally, other than the re-recorded "Wishing Well," and "In The Moonlight" and "99 Problems" (just because I was at the shows and there's no official boots), I haven't cared for most of the Ten Club singles over the past decade anyway. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    But you don't think the band has taken advantage of the situation either? If they don't intend to complete it, then why not just send a partial refund? IF they do intent to fulfill their obligation then why not have better communication? We all know they have recordings they can just use and be done with it, so why not? If they wanted to do something very special for the last 2 then why not be upfront about that and tell us? Instead we get an update once or twice a year saying they are in production, meanwhile we see them put out other items and sell them without any problem. 
    No, I don't think the band has taken advantage. I chalk this up to a poorly managed situation that happens sometimes as I try to be an understanding person. I'm confident this will be resolved at some point and suspect there could be legal issues involved with the content that prevent them from being forthright with the information.

I also think that if I never receive the singles, I'll shrug and move on because little stuff like this isn't worth stressing about, especially when 10C and the band had given me so much more in my life. This situation is not a theme for PJ nor is this a matter of principle that will grow like a cancer if left untreated - those are the times you need to stand up. This is a customer service blip and I'm willing to forgive and forget. If you think about the value analog members have received over time, from a retail perspective, it's has certainly been more than $40. This fan club could have charged so much more than they did for the content we received but the price stayed the same for many years. I feel I got more than my money's worth already.
    Post edited by BennyLaRue on
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    If someone is holding up a "Where are the fan club singles" poster in front of me at a show, I guarantee it will be torn down.  
    If you “tore down” a sign from my hands security would be tearing down an exit for me and an ambulance for you. Keep your hands to yourself. 
    You are missing the words in bold. If someone held up a sign in front of me and blocking my view, I would be pissed, too. Needn't be a bully or an asshole. Let's work together, please. 
    deadendp said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    If someone is holding up a "Where are the fan club singles" poster in front of me at a show, I guarantee it will be torn down.  
    If you “tore down” a sign from my hands security would be tearing down an exit for me and an ambulance for you. Keep your hands to yourself. 
    You are missing the words in bold. If someone held up a sign in front of me and blocking my view, I would be pissed, too. Needn't be a bully or an asshole. Let's work together, please. 

I saw the words in bold. You would be much better off to use words rather than actions. First off I’d never hold up a sign in front of someone else’s view for more than about 10 seconds... it’s just rude... but no, you will not tear anything from me or touch me in any way. I’m glad that you’re well adjusted, however, I am not. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and other traumas. If someone touches me in any aggressive way without my permission, that someone is not walking away unharmed. It’s instinctual for me. You’ve been warned. Steer clear of the crazy guy that’s holding back tears.  He ain’t fucking around.  Be nice or leave. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    This is gaslighting. What triggers a response is people smearing the band/10C or threatening legal action. If people were only expressing disappointment or asking what's up, this wouldn't be a contentious thread.
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    pjl44 said:
    JimmyV said:
    This is gaslighting. What triggers a response is people smearing the band/10C or threatening legal action. If people were only expressing disappointment or asking what's up, this wouldn't be a contentious thread.

There have been way more people asking for an update than "smearing" or "threatening" the band with legal action. The band and 10c have decided to not comment. Gaslighting? Contentious? Whatever. You are free to feel however you want and to express that.

Regardless, it is a fact that the band and the 10c have purposefully ignored this situation and this is not how customers or fan club member should be treated. Pearl Jam are just a bunch of rich snobs that feel like they are too good to do the right thing yet they preach to us how to live our lives because they are holier than thou. The band has taken advantage of us and they now have us stuck in a legal situation. I say legal situation because the only way we would be able to get an update is a lawsuit and they know that. It would take 1 minute to send a mass email and update everyone on the situation but they choose not to do that. It's nothing less than pathetic. The way I feel about it has nothing to do with the actual singles but how they've treated us.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    They have no update because the singles are not in production and never were. There is no delay related to the pressing of vinyl. If that were so the MP3 versions could have been released months ago. These don't exist as of now, and with club members sniffing around Attorneys General it is likely 10c has been advised not to say anything further on the issue.

Not the end of the world, far from it in fact, but it is a terrible business practice.
    Wait. Are you calling Tim Bierman a liar? If so, I agree with you. He lied to placate the 10c members and the AG. Prove me wrong, Tim.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    pjl44 said:
    JimmyV said:

There have been way more people asking for an update than "smearing" or "threatening" the band with legal action.

Pearl Jam are just a bunch of rich snobs that feel like they are too good to do the right thing yet they preach to us how to live our lives because they are holier than thou. The band has taken advantage of us and they now have us stuck in a legal situation. I say legal situation because the only way we would be able to get an update is a lawsuit and they know that.

• Options

so was I. But anytime anyone so much as bumps this thread the children come out with their stupid memes and gifs. and I think if the club really felt threatened by this thread, they'd have shut it down weeks ago. I don't think they require anyone defending them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    JimmyV said:
    They have no update because the singles are not in production and never were. There is no delay related to the pressing of vinyl. If that were so the MP3 versions could have been released months ago. These don't exist as of now, and with club members sniffing around Attorneys General it is likely 10c has been advised not to say anything further on the issue.

Not the end of the world, far from it in fact, but it is a terrible business practice.
    Wait. Are you calling Tim Bierman a liar? If so, I agree with you. He lied to placate the 10c members and the AG. Prove me wrong, Tim.
    Worth remembering that 10c once blamed their not ready for primetime ticket sale system on sabotage. 

• Options
    so was I. But anytime anyone so much as bumps this thread the children come out with their stupid memes and gifs. and I think if the club really felt threatened by this thread, they'd have shut it down weeks ago. I don't think they require anyone defending them. 
    I actually do think calling for sanity and perspective is sometimes required on the internet. If this whole thread were just a groupthink train of calls for legal action, with no one saying "whoa, hol'up, you're being crazy", that can compel people to join in and act on said craziness. If just one person reads my posts and thinks, "ok, he's right, this is a little much, these are people who make mistakes just like me, I'll take it down a notch", then it's worthwhile. I actually don't think 10C requires a defense from me, particularly because I'm 100% certain 10C's Terms and Conditions are protection enough and lawsuits would go nowhere, but sharing thoughts shapes the perspectives of undecideds.

Reddit is a great example of how dangerous that shit can be because it's a heavily moderated environment and dissent is often removed or downvoted so it isn't visible. Opposing views help to temper craziness.
  • Options
    I actually do think calling for sanity and perspective is sometimes required on the internet. If this whole thread were just a groupthink train of calls for legal action, with no one saying "whoa, hol'up, you're being crazy", that can compel people to join in and act on said craziness. If just one person reads my posts and thinks, "ok, he's right, this is a little much, these are people who make mistakes just like me, I'll take it down a notch", then it's worthwhile. I actually don't think 10C requires a defense from me, particularly because I'm 100% certain 10C's Terms and Conditions are protection enough and lawsuits would go nowhere, but sharing thoughts shapes the perspectives of undecideds.

Reddit is a great example of how dangerous that shit can be because it's a heavily moderated environment and dissent is often removed or downvoted so it isn't visible. Opposing views help to temper craziness.
    of course, but it's not at all what you describe. i could see the need for it if the roles were reversed, if there were 5 times as many people calling for a class action lawsuit than those saying "just wait". here we have the opposite. one person, ONE PERSON, saying things like that. And several of you lambasting him for it. 

you are actually bringing attention to his cause.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillon said:
    here we have the opposite. one person, ONE PERSON, saying things like that. 
    That's absolutely not true.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillon said:
    here we have the opposite. one person, ONE PERSON, saying things like that. 
    That's absolutely not true.
    unless I'm mixing up posters,I've only seen one person mention it. everyone else is "yeah, they screwed us, but what can you do?". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.