Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    U.S.A.
    Sweden's population is what 1-2% people of color?  Not sure I'd like the diversity there.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    Anywhere but those 3
    New York stinks of garbage.  Garbage smell equals filth.  a billion rats equal filth.
    I honestly don't know where you people hang out at when you are here?

Was it garbage day, lol?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    New York stinks of garbage.  Garbage smell equals filth.  a billion rats equal filth.

Was it garbage day, lol?
    They apparently don't make enough $ (due to excessive taxation no doubt) to actually stay in any nice areas/hotels.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    JPPJ84 said:
    oh come on, not again! This thread was just starting to become nice
    I was talking about food, & multiculturalism. dishes because I have, 
    (SAADHD - Serious Adult Attention Deficit Hell-of-a Disorder)( they don't let me take ritalin anymore)
    And now look what happened.  Right back down the gutter.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Anywhere but those 3

Was it garbage day, lol?
    They apparently don't make enough $ (due to excessive taxation no doubt) to actually stay in any nice areas/hotels.
    This is funny, lol!

Next time just stay in Rockville Center and train it in to the concert.  Go to the beach on your off days.

I'll learn y'all sumthin.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    Anywhere other than planet earth

Was it garbage day, lol?
    This is funny, lol!

Next time just stay in Rockville Center and train it in to the concert.  Go to the beach on your off days.

I'll learn y'all sumthin.
    Don't try to fool us, Tempo. We know the Rockettes learned this move from kicking rats! ;)

Image result for rockettes gif
  • Options
    Anywhere but those 3
    Amazing that they can do that in heels.  God bless them.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    U.S.A.
    Amazing that they can do that in heels.  God bless them.
    Indeed!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Was it garbage day, lol?

Well, there has been quite a bit of garbage piled up on the streets at night any time I've been to NYC, but it doesn't stink as far as I can remember (thought the last time I was there was February, so maybe that's why). It seems like every day is garbage day in Manhattan. The city as a whole isn't any dirtier than any other American big city. Maybe people notice it more because it's a walkable city, as opposed to other cities that people might just drive/taxi/uber around in?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,496
    Canada
    I've seen Jason Takes Manhattan. I know how filthy NYC is.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    Sweden's population is what 1-2% people of color?    

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Sweden's population is what 1-2% people of color?  Not sure I'd like the diversity there.  
    It’s about 24 % of the population that has an immigrant background.
  • Options
    Canada
    Annafalk said:
    I do believe the largest part of that is from other nordic countries though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,445
    Sweden
    Annafalk said:
    My sister studied in Umeå for a semester... her house mates‘ best friends were two Iranian brothers whose dad had migrated to Sweden before they were born. They did/do like it there, they were just constantly complaining that he should have chosen Spain instead :wink:
    I loved Umeå in summer and winter though!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    JPPJ84 said:
    Annafalk said:
    My sister studied in Umeå for a semester... her house mates‘ best friends were two Iranian brothers whose dad had migrated to Sweden before they were born. They did/do like it there, they were just constantly complaining that he should have chosen Spain instead :wink:
    As I tried to tell you in Dusseldorf - it is the "city of the birches".  :)

(And you do know who happens to be from that city....)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:
    I don’t think that’s the case for the last couple of years, 
    if someone’s interested.

• Options
    U.S.A.
    Annafalk said:
    Right. Kinda like someone from Tennessee immigrating to Pennsylvania 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Canada
    Annafalk said:
    ?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    U.S.A.
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    Culturally, there's probably more of a difference between TN and PA than Sweden and Norway.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    Culturally, there's probably more of a difference between TN and PA than Sweden and Norway.  

Norway is not even in the top 10, according to Annafalks graph.
  • Options
    Sweden
    JPPJ84 said:
    Annafalk said:
    As I tried to tell you in Dusseldorf - it is the "city of the birches".  :)

(And you do know who happens to be from that city....)
    Damn I know you told me... ok Wikipedia says... wow that‘s a whole lot of famous people! Stieg Larsson :D
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?

Norway is not even in the top 10, according to Annafalks graph.
    You're the one that said most of it was from Nordic countries.  Norway was random, as was TN/PA analogy.  
  • Options
    Sweden
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    Sounds funny. Why? North and South or what’s the reason?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    The US is not homogeneous by any means.  We're a country of 300 million that stretches from ocean to ocean, melting in cultures at different times of history.  For example, if you go to Cleveland, Chicago, Pitts, you run into people who are 2nd or 3rd generation from eastern and southern Europe.  If you go to Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Iowa, St. Louis (basically up the Mississippi and through tributaries), that's where the Germans came during the mid 19th century so those areas have very distinct cultures based on that heritage.  The South, historically, has not been as hospitable to immigrants, so the culture is not nearly as diverse, particularly in what is considered the old South.  And to compare California coast to Alabama is just night and day. 
    Compare that to Sweden, whose population is less than a million more than just the FIVE boroughs of NYC.  It's a completely different animal culturally and politically.  Sometimes that's difficult for people to understand.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    The US is not homogeneous by any means.  We're a country of 300 million that stretches from ocean to ocean, melting in cultures at different times of history.  For example, if you go to Cleveland, Chicago, Pitts, you run into people who are 2nd or 3rd generation from eastern and southern Europe.  If you go to Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Iowa, St. Louis (basically up the Mississippi and through tributaries), that's where the Germans came during the mid 19th century so those areas have very distinct cultures based on that heritage.  The South, historically, has not been as hospitable to immigrants, so the culture is not nearly as diverse, particularly in what is considered the old South.  And to compare California coast to Alabama is just night and day. 
    Compare that to Sweden, whose population is less than a million more than just the FIVE boroughs of NYC.  It's a completely different animal culturally and politically.  Sometimes that's difficult for people to understand.  
    But our 10 million are spread out on a landmass that is the fifth largest in Europe, and is as tall as from Sweden to the south of Italy in size. 

Isolation creates differences - just see how mutations work (if you believe in evolution).

Obviously our strong social democratic values have hold us together somewhat. But still.

And why would we be similar to Norway? They club seals to death over there and won't share their oil-money with us.:P
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sweden
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    Makes total sense actually, thanks for your answer. I thought there was something specific about these two states, then I read the „random“ post after I had posted mine.
    US history is certainly unique!
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?
    But our 10 million are spread out on a landmass that is the fifth largest in Europe, and is as tall as from Sweden to the south of Italy in size. 

Isolation creates differences - just see how mutations work (if you believe in evolution).

Obviously our strong social democratic values have hold us together somewhat. But still.

And why would we be similar to Norway? They club seals to death over there and won't share their oil-money with us.:P
    1, You both descended from violent, raping, pillaging, slaveholding Viking culture
    2. Both speak a dialect of old Nordic
    3. Neither of you look Chinese
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?

Also, you're a 100,000 square miles smaller than Texas alone, and have about 35% of their population.  I think we can find political hegemony in Texas.  
  • Options
    Sweden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Annafalk said:
    ?

1, You both descended from violent, raping, pillaging, slaveholding Viking culture
    2. Both speak a dialect of old Nordic
    3. Neither of you look Chinese
    Now you’re just inviting snarky comebacks... :P
    I‘ll enjoy that over breakfast tomorrow morning... good night from good old Europe ;-)

This discussion has been closed.