Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    You do realize that if you live in the US you have a wide range of options for travel and never leave the country right? 
    You do realize uninformed @PJPOWER was the one who used "travelling the world" right?

@PJPOWER "You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation."

So here you have again, to show how ignorant he is:

And lets add this again also, because it fits the thread:

Still waiting on your site references...And it is still interesting that your graph shows that Americans take more trips than Swedes overall since you guys have way more vacation days. (international travel aside).  It kinda proves the main point that I was getting at.  Shouldn’t you guys be taking way more trips with all of those extra days?
    But I doubt the people of Kentucky (a good state to compare with Sweden)can afford all of those fun trips either.
    Remind me where I specifically said traveling the world meant international traveling?  US citizens can see a lot of the world while still traveling domestically (remember Hawaii and Alaska).  Hell, where I live, it is closer to fly to Jamaica than NYC or Seattle, so I see more “world”, staying in the US in many instances.
    I forget how “small” you guys are (geographically of course):

There is real point here. I have noticed the Europeans really don't quite "get" what it's like for Canadians and Americans when it comes to travel. Like someone said already, it is SO cheap and easy for Europeans to travel from country to country. But here, especially in Canada, it is super expensive just to fly without our own massive countries, let alone to other countries. And just the time it takes... I remember my ex, who was from France, couldn't seem to adjust his thinking to match the enormity of Canada's landmass. He seemed to think it was odd that we didn't travel a lot to other parts of Canada. He once had to go to Toronto for a conference, and while he knew where it was on a map, he still thought that taking a quick train there was a viable option. When I told him that the train ride to get there would take 4 days or so, he seemed shocked. And he would suggest that we drive to places for a quick weekend road trip, and I'd be like, um, dude, that's like a 20 hour drive one way! He was just so used to easily being able to move from place to place in France/Europe - the idea of being so limited by your geography was almost like a foreign concept.
    It was uninformed @PJPOWER who used "travelling the world", not me because of being a "European" (not someones french ex though :/ ).

@PJPOWER "You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation."
    I wasn't talking about you, or even thinking about you when I wrote that post. I was making a general point. Like I said, a "real" point. Not one related to you and your friends' constant bickering (which is making the AMT intolerable).
    Well you squeezed yourself in between an active discussion with a post regarding a topic connected to the matter discussed and PJPOWER trying to reshape what he had previously stated. So yeah. 

You are free to put me on ignore if ”intolarable”. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    You do realize that if you live in the US you have a wide range of options for travel and never leave the country right? 
    You do realize uninformed @PJPOWER was the one who used "travelling the world" right?

@PJPOWER "You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation."

Still waiting on your site references...And it is still interesting that your graph shows that Americans take more trips than Swedes overall since you guys have way more vacation days. (international travel aside).  It kinda proves the main point that I was getting at.  Shouldn’t you guys be taking way more trips with all of those extra days?
    But I doubt the people of Kentucky (a good state to compare with Sweden)can afford all of those fun trips either.
    Remind me where I specifically said traveling the world meant international traveling?  US citizens can see a lot of the world while still traveling domestically (remember Hawaii and Alaska).  Hell, where I live, it is closer to fly to Jamaica than NYC or Seattle, so I see more “world”, staying in the US in many instances.

There is real point here. I have noticed the Europeans really don't quite "get" what it's like for Canadians and Americans when it comes to travel. Like someone said already, it is SO cheap and easy for Europeans to travel from country to country. But here, especially in Canada, it is super expensive just to fly without our own massive countries, let alone to other countries. And just the time it takes... I remember my ex, who was from France, couldn't seem to adjust his thinking to match the enormity of Canada's landmass. He seemed to think it was odd that we didn't travel a lot to other parts of Canada. He once had to go to Toronto for a conference, and while he knew where it was on a map, he still thought that taking a quick train there was a viable option. When I told him that the train ride to get there would take 4 days or so, he seemed shocked. And he would suggest that we drive to places for a quick weekend road trip, and I'd be like, um, dude, that's like a 20 hour drive one way! He was just so used to easily being able to move from place to place in France/Europe - the idea of being so limited by your geography was almost like a foreign concept.
    I get the same look of amazement from people in other states when I tell them that you can drive 14 hours one way on some TX highways and still be within the TX state lines.  Alaskans are not impressed, though, ha.
    To further the point.. I'm sitting in West Palm right now, heading to the DMB show in a bit with my son.  We started yesterday in Miami and spent the evening in Little Havana.  Miami is South America in so many ways.  WPB is a different world.  Tomorrow we head down to the Keys with the rest of the family for a week of snorkeling, boating, fishing, etc.  That area is basically the Caribbean.  So three completely different cultural experiences, in one state, and about 200 miles.  Pretty cool.  
    Awesome!  Sounds like a fun weekend ahead!  I may have to check the Keys out some day.  TX is roughly 800 miles from “top to bottom”:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-big-is-texas-2014-4

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
    U.S.A.
    I d love to drive cross country across Canada. Is there anything to see in Nunavut? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

It was uninformed @PJPOWER who used "travelling the world", not me because of being a "European" (not someones french ex though :/ ).

@PJPOWER "You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation."
    I wasn't talking about you, or even thinking about you when I wrote that post. I was making a general point. Like I said, a "real" point. Not one related to you and your friends' constant bickering (which is making the AMT intolerable).
    Well you squeezed yourself in between an active discussion with a post regarding a topic connected to the matter discussed and PJPOWER trying to reshape what he had previously stated. So yeah. 

I made a comment I wanted to make, and didn't reshape anything.
    I don't find YOU intolerable. Like I've told you already, I find the bickering going on between you and a few others intolerable (and I'm not placing you on top of a list - all of you are equally responsible for it IMO). It's why I'm around here way less than I used to be.
    Anyway, I just wanted to make a point about ingrained perceptions about travel and how they differ between Europeans and North Americans. It was a fair point I think.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

I don't find YOU intolerable. Like I've told you already, I find the bickering going on between you and a few others intolerable (and I'm not placing you on top of a list - all of you are equally responsible for it IMO). It's why I'm around here way less than I used to be.
    I did not mean to imply you reshaping anything. 

If you went and saw CRAWL please give your thoughts in the horror-thread :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

I did not mean to imply you reshaping anything. 

If you went and saw CRAWL please give your thoughts in the horror-thread :)
    I see now what you meant about the reshape comment (no idea if he did or not!).
    ... I want to see Crawl! Looks fun!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    PJPOWER said:

You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation.

We seem to travel the world more than you do - while not having an uniquely shitty health care system, but instead having one that all of the modern world has a variant off.

Also look at your health care prices you ignorant little person:

And look at you living  a bunch of years shorter:

But being egoistic and selfish and not caring about other people I guess is the US most important trait. You are living the stereotype. 

And yes, again - In sweden you can hunt, and own rifles - we have 70% forrest. 
    Well, with all due respect, that guess is wrong. You do not live in the USA so i don't think there is anyway you know about US people being selfish and not caring people. USA is usually one of, if not the most, giving Country in the world.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation.

We seem to travel the world more than you do - while not having an uniquely shitty health care system, but instead having one that all of the modern world has a variant off.

But being egoistic and selfish and not caring about other people I guess is the US most important trait. You are living the stereotype. 

Well, with all due respect, that guess is wrong. You do not live in the USA so i don't think there is anyway you know about US people being selfish and not caring people. USA is usually one of, if not the most, giving Country in the world.
    The UN target is 0,7% per capita per Country. Once again Sweden (and a bunch of countries of the developed world) is far ahead of the "greatest experiment in the world" - so with all due respect, you are wrong:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    U.S.A.
    On that note, ASAP rockys trial starts on the 30th. Lets see If Trump sends in the navy seals for his new famous black friend. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    NO WAY! should she have the human right to health care living in a society that should be made for people to live in. NO WAY!

For thinking the US is the greatest country in the world, or as good as e.g. the nordic countries, it sure is an outlier in really shitty things very often. *thinking emoji*

Which says something about people keeping on defending the US instead of facing the music and just coming to terms with reality. 

• Options
    Canada
    On that note, ASAP rockys trial starts on the 30th. Lets see If Trump sends in the navy seals for his new famous black friend. 

I got jailed/banned for like a week doing what you just did, even though it is a common and obvious thing done on internet forums to make a point. 

A "fixed that for you" edit to make a point got me jailed/banned with some "not allowed to falsify quotes" reason.

Just a heads up, to you and everyone else on here.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    U.S.A.
    Yes, I know this too well. Have a family member on dialysis now. Bill was crazy when sent to him. In reality though he’s insurance is paying almost everything and he is now on disability. Not a fun life, but hoping things will get better.

I wish we would just grow some kidneys in a lab already 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Yes!!!!!! @Spiritual_Chaos I picked up a bottle in your honor!!

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

My brother is currently assigned to Ramstein AB as Fire Chief in Germany. They recently did a weekend tour, including coming back to Germany it was 5 countries in 2 days......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    We have had it very good travelwise that  may all be about to change but i have benefited from going  all over europe to see pj and i have seen things  i never would have .
    So many dont leave the  town or village here and it blows  My mind.  See it all,see the world!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes!!!!!! @Spiritual_Chaos I picked up a bottle in your honor!!

Absolut America....imported 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

The UN target is 0,7% per capita per Country. Once again Sweden (and a bunch of countries of the developed world) is far ahead of the "greatest experiment in the world" - so with all due respect, you are wrong:

Yeah, okay^^^^^
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweden
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

Born and raised in the Heartland.
    Selfish, ignorant, idiotic, materialistic, shallow, stupid...yeah those stereotypes exist for a reason.
    For sure.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

Selfish, ignorant, idiotic, materialistic, shallow, stupid...yeah those stereotypes exist for a reason.
    For sure.
    collectively maybe. individually though......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweden
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

For sure.
    Of course, and those of us who are above average (just being a fan of good music like PJ puts us all above the average) insulate ourselves with other intelligent and caring people, but if you work with the public...
    Holy Moly there's too much stupid.  People are just...small.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    PJPOWER said:

For sure.
    Of course, and those of us who are above average (just being a fan of good music like PJ puts us all above the average) insulate ourselves with other intelligent and caring people, but if you work with the public...
    Holy Moly there's too much stupid.  People are just...small.
    being bombarded with images and messaging that says who and where you are in life is insufficient. buy xyz to make it better. takes its toll......

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    The Trial against ASAP starts in 2 min.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada

US top diplomat and special envoy on hostage matters Robert C. O'Brien has been asked by President Donald Trump to go to Sweden as a result of the ASAP Rocky trial. 

"He is here to look after the well-being of American citizens, which is always our highest priority," Ruth Newman, acting press speaker at the US embassy in Sweden, told TT.

• Options

G-Eazy says Sweden treated him better than A$AP Rocky because of ‘white privilege’

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/22/g-eazy-says-sweden-treated-him-better-than-aap-rocky-because-of-white-privilege/

G-Eazy believes racism is behind A$AP Rocky‘s lengthy detainment in Sweden.

“This is the sad truth … The difference between me and Rocky’s treatment in Sweden brings to mind two concepts that disgustingly go hand in hand: white privilege and systemic racism,” the “Me, Myself & I” rapper tweeted on Friday. “Let’s call it what it is. He should not be behind bars right now. My heart goes out to @asvpxrocky.”

In May 2018, G-Eazy, 30, was arrested in Stockholm for assault and drug possession.

He did not face jail time after lunging at security during an attack aimed at a fan and police finding him in possession of approximately 1.5 ounces of cocaine. Instead, he paid a $9,000 fine and restitution to the victim.

Rocky has been detained for more than two weeks at the Kronoberg Detention Center in Stockholm, while prosecutors investigate a June 30 street fight involving Rocky, two members of his team, including his bodyguard.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority announced Monday that all charges against one of Rocky’s alleged attackers had been dropped. The second man was never under investigation. Rocky and his team remain detained.

Lead prosecutor Daniel Suneson said in a press release Friday that he filed an extension until July 25 to decide how to indict Rocky.

President Donald Trump vowed over the weekend that the White House would intervene by having conversations with the Swedish Prime Minister. However, the Swedish Prosecution Authority previously told us it is “not possible for the US President to have any influence on the Swedish legal procedure.”
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    U.S.A.
    Assault and coke is a fine... yeah justice is blind. 
  • Options
    Canada
    Lessons Canada can learn from Sweden's long-term care facilities
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/lessons-canada-can-learn-from-sweden-s-long-term-care-facilities-1.5153673

This is something that I would love to see in Canada.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    cutz said:

G-Eazy says Sweden treated him better than A$AP Rocky because of ‘white privilege’

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/22/g-eazy-says-sweden-treated-him-better-than-aap-rocky-because-of-white-privilege/

G-Eazy believes racism is behind A$AP Rocky‘s lengthy detainment in Sweden.

“This is the sad truth … The difference between me and Rocky’s treatment in Sweden brings to mind two concepts that disgustingly go hand in hand: white privilege and systemic racism,” the “Me, Myself & I” rapper tweeted on Friday. “Let’s call it what it is. He should not be behind bars right now. My heart goes out to @asvpxrocky.”

In May 2018, G-Eazy, 30, was arrested in Stockholm for assault and drug possession.

He did not face jail time after lunging at security during an attack aimed at a fan and police finding him in possession of approximately 1.5 ounces of cocaine. Instead, he paid a $9,000 fine and restitution to the victim.

Rocky has been detained for more than two weeks at the Kronoberg Detention Center in Stockholm, while prosecutors investigate a June 30 street fight involving Rocky, two members of his team, including his bodyguard.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority announced Monday that all charges against one of Rocky’s alleged attackers had been dropped. The second man was never under investigation. Rocky and his team remain detained.

Lead prosecutor Daniel Suneson said in a press release Friday that he filed an extension until July 25 to decide how to indict Rocky.

President Donald Trump vowed over the weekend that the White House would intervene by having conversations with the Swedish Prime Minister. However, the Swedish Prosecution Authority previously told us it is “not possible for the US President to have any influence on the Swedish legal procedure.”
    mrussel1 said:
    Assault and coke is a fine... yeah justice is blind. 
    G-Eazy and mrussel1 know shit of what they're talking about. He confessed on the spot and no 500 page investigation was needed to untangle what had happend. No bottle was used either. But keep jerking of ASAP Rocky for whatever reason. #freerocky

Justice is A MILLION TIMES more blind in Sweden than in the US where Justice is raped. Justice is gone. Pulling your strings. Justice is done. if you can't see that or use common sense. That is on you.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Lessons Canada can learn from Sweden's long-term care facilities
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/lessons-canada-can-learn-from-sweden-s-long-term-care-facilities-1.5153673

This is something that I would love to see in Canada.
    Hmm. Interesting. Never heard of anyone moving in with their spouse when needing to go to "a home". So I don't know how common it is in practice. I've only seen what they show in Canada, that they come and visit their spouse who live at a home. 

Should also be said, that those kind of apartments built for the elderly. All I've ever heard about those solutions are that they are superexpensive and not an option for everyone.

I would think our "elderly care" is good when compared to many other countries (And I bet Canadas is too) but there is not much else that gets so much criticism and it's always a talking point in political debates. And I've heard from people working in the field how stressful the work is and constant cut backs etc.
This discussion has been closed.