Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    so pop culture is where we're at with this comparison? are you SERIOUS? in the age of trump as president, I'd think you americans would do you damnedest to stop using famousness as a measuring stick for global notoriety. jesus h christ. 
    So being able to see,  for example,  10 pearl jam shows within 5 hours drive shouldn't be in the plus column for where I live? 
    that's not comparing the arts. that's comparing geography. 

edit: one that I'm actually quite jealous of. I would have seen 5x the amount of PJ shows I've seen if I didn't have to drive 10 hours each way with nothing but wheat and cows as my scenery. Sweden and the US have Canada beat in that regard. I'd actually give the edge to Sweden (but more broadly, any european country), since you can hop a damn train to any show you want and not have to worry about driving. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    so pop culture is where we're at with this comparison? are you SERIOUS? in the age of trump as president, I'd think you americans would do you damnedest to stop using famousness as a measuring stick for global notoriety. jesus h christ. 
    Yeah I am SERIOUS. He's just a troll that's trying to rile everyone up with anti-American bullshit. So why not compare the arts from both countries and note that America has contributed much more to the world in that regard than Sweden has. Or can we only compare politics? Does EVERYTHING need to be about Donald Trump? Jesus H. Christ is right. 
    it's all just so very juvenile. if you think he's a troll trying to rile everyone up, why allow him to rile you up?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    So being able to see,  for example,  10 pearl jam shows within 5 hours drive shouldn't be in the plus column for where I live? 
    Well yeah,  the geography of where I live enables me to see my favorite band all the time with little effort... ergo I would prefer to live here rather than Sweden who will be boycotted by artists in the future.  Perfect encapsulation of the thread. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Cute attempt at a comeback but my point here is that Sweden doesn't seem to offer much culturally for the world, and that other than Tom Green putting his bum on you, I don't know a single thing about Swedish entertainment or pop-culture. Where's the bands, movies, and politicians? You are obessed with ours...but I've never heard of any of yours except that Ghost band I saw open for Iron Maiden. 

So what do you have for us? Cause we have a lot for you. Even Trump. Hell, he provides you with something, even if it's only something to bitch about. 
    I don't think I need to communicate with you anymore. If you have missed this. Then what would be the point?

https://youtu.be/xFrGuyw1V8s

Oh my god. No way you just referenced ABBA as your fucking cultural export. Wow.

I actually checked some famous Swedish people to be fair. There's Ivan Drago, the nihilist from the Big Lebowski (or Slippery Pete from Seinfeld if you prefer), Tiger Woods' ex-wife, and a bunch people I've never heard of. https://www.thefamouspeople.com/sweden.php

No Pearl Jams or Ocasio-Cortezs over there. That's too bad. I can understand why you're so obessed with America. You got shit. 
    Would just correct you on one thing. "We got shit" should be "We got a society which was built for and tries to work for its citizens and not for the  rich like the US". 

Otherwise you are pretty correct. Yes. The nihilist (Peter Stormare) from The Big Lebowski etc are swedish.
    Yeah but you're on the "take" side,  blissfully unaware of the "give" side. 
    Please elaborate?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Well yeah,  the geography of where I live enables me to see my favorite band all the time with little effort... ergo I would prefer to live here rather than Sweden who will be boycotted by artists in the future.  Perfect encapsulation of the thread. 
    see my edit to my post. 

why will sweden be boycotted by artists in the future?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited July 2019
    and geography to see your favourite band isn't a positive characteristic of your country, it is characteristic of your state. 

just ask alaskans or texans. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Yeah I am SERIOUS. He's just a troll that's trying to rile everyone up with anti-American bullshit. So why not compare the arts from both countries and note that America has contributed much more to the world in that regard than Sweden has. Or can we only compare politics? Does EVERYTHING need to be about Donald Trump? Jesus H. Christ is right. 
    it's all just so very juvenile. if you think he's a troll trying to rile everyone up, why allow him to rile you up?
    Hey the name of the thread is "Where would you rather live the US or Sweden." So the arts (as I brought up), geography (as mrussel brought up), and the peaceful utopia of Sweden versus the VIOLENCE AND HATE of America (as Spirtual_Choas brings up) are all on the table to argue which one you'd prefer. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Hey the name of the thread is "Where would you rather live the US or Sweden." So the arts (as I brought up), geography (as mrussel brought up), and the peaceful utopia of Sweden versus the VIOLENCE AND HATE of America (as Spirtual_Choas brings up) are all on the table to argue which one you'd prefer. 
    didn't even remotely address my question. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    see my edit to my post. 

He thinks that Eddie Vedder has "taken note" of the ASAP Rocky situation, and that Eddie Vedder like mrussel1 will listen to the fakenews from TMZ and force Pearl Jam to not tour here because of these fakenews that mrussel1 is basing his Eddie Vedder-boycotting on.

It's very fascinating. 

Should be noted that by all accounts ASAP Rocky and his people beat up a person with broken bottles.

But Eddie Vedder will force Pearl Jam to boycott Sweden because, as stated he (and Trump) is "taking note".
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    see my edit to my post. 

I think the treatment of Rocky will really turn artists off from the country.  A month in jail now,  for assault without a trial is really outrageous.  They could just confiscate his passport.  
  • Options
    and to address the "does everything have to be about trump?" question, no, it doesn't. but a pissing contest about celebrity makes it relevant. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    see my edit to my post. 

I think the treatment of Rocky will really turn artists off from the country.  A month in jail now,  for assault without a trial is really outrageous.  They could just confiscate his passport.  
    that is a massive stretch. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    It was such important question too. How could I have glossed over it?

Anyway, I'm not "riled up" in a "Hey fuck you man! How dare you diss America!" way. I'm "riled up" (I guess) in a "I don't take this thread seriously at all so I'm going to post a .gif of Tom Green with his bum on the Swedish" way. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    and geography to see your favourite band isn't a positive characteristic of your country, it is characteristic of your state. 

The geography of the States is amazing. I'm 90 minutes from beautiful Atlantic beaches and 60 from the mountains.  An hour from DC, 4 hours from NYC. Everything is so convenient.  And Texan cam move towards me and vice versa with zero hassle. 
  • Options
    some of you could really use the ignore feature. trust me, I did it to 3 or 4 losers a few weeks ago....makes a world of difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    see my edit to my post. 

that is a massive stretch. 
    HAHA. You don't say!
  • Options
    U.S.A.

Im only 90 minute flight from home and look at the water.  It's beautiful. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The geography of the States is amazing. I'm 90 minutes from beautiful Atlantic beaches and 60 from the mountains.  An hour from DC, 4 hours from NYC. Everything is so convenient.  And Texan cam move towards me and vice versa with zero hassle. 
    everything is convenient from where YOU are. the US is pretty expansive, and quite isolating for a lot of folks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

While people going bankrupt from hospital bills.
  • Options

Anyway, I'm not "riled up" in a "Hey fuck you man! How dare you diss America!" way. I'm "riled up" (I guess) in a "I don't take this thread seriously at all so I'm going to post a .gif of Tom Green with his bum on the Swedish" way. 
    alright then, carry on not being riled up and not being a dick about it.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    some of you could really use the ignore feature. trust me, I did it to 3 or 4 losers a few weeks ago....makes a world of difference. 
    I've tried it. The problem is that you still see ignored people's posts in quotes. Not to mention that their post will still appear but without the text (unless you click to expand it). So if you post, and the person you're ignoring posts next, you'll see that they posted. I know, I know....just ignore it. But it's hard to ignore anything when you suspect it's in response to you. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

not really sure what point this makes. I can post a similar picture of a view close to me too. it's irrelevant to what we were talking about. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:

not really sure what point this makes. I can post a similar picture of a view close to me too. it's irrelevant to what we were talking about. 
    Then you live in a beautiful place and should be happy.  It's totally on point, perhaps just not your point.
  • Options

alright then, carry on not being riled up and not being a dick about it.  
    You ask if I'm SERIOUS with my harmless post about pop culture, then you call me juvenile when I explain that post, and I'm supposed to be respectful of your question? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Then you live in a beautiful place and should be happy.  It's totally on point, perhaps just not your point.
    So can someone from Russia.

"The art of having lost an argument but still posting" is what's being shown here.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

They can't see Pearl Jam 10x within 5 hours.  
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

There's no point in a serious debate with an uber nationalist like you,  who doesn't even understand their own tax structure.  So now me,  Ledbetter,  scruffy,  meltdown,  etc. are enjoying ourselves. 
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

There's no point in a serious debate with an uber nationalist like you,  who doesn't even understand their own tax structure.  So now me,  Ledbetter,  scruffy,  meltdown,  etc. are enjoying ourselves. 
    Why are you talking to yourself?

And as I posted just before: "The art of having lost an argument but still posting" is what's being shown here."

That's okey. you haven't had much of a case to begin with.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:

Wait, What, Where is the water???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:

Wait, What, Where is the water???
    There's water???
This discussion has been closed.