Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, but he'll have a legal case against ICE for violating his 4th amendment rights.  
    What can the kids who have died at the border do?
    Try to be normal for a full day.  You were almost there. 
    Federal immigration officers trying to arrest a Mexican national smashed a car window and dragged him from the vehicle in front of his girlfriend and two young children, prompting condemnation from the woman’s Missouri congressman.
    I thought I changed my alerts to exclude news from the west coast. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    Where is this free healthcare at?  Healthcare is not free.  And who thinks healthcare does not raise your taxes, well then I got some Alaska swamp land to sell...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Where is this free healthcare at?  Healthcare is not free.  And who thinks healthcare does not raise your taxes, well then I got some Alaska swamp land to sell...
    I almost wrote the same,  but then I thought... doesn't everyone know nothing is free?  Maybe not. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,857
    and that swampland is growing as permafrost melts.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    I almost wrote the same,  but then I thought... doesn't everyone know nothing is free?  Maybe not. 
    Agreed...healthcare impacts your taxes...and remember we have no say in what gets covered...so in essence we pay higher taxes plus have to a job with benefits or purchase your own benefits for dental, Pharma, eye care any other things...

i like universal healthcare.  But it does have it flaws...

most  here are not honest about the flaws...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweden
    Who said free healthcare?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Canada
    Maybe go re-read a few post back.  

But I’m sure you’ve read every post...so that’s not necessarily.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I'm at my third holiday week of 5 payed (little more $$$ than when working). We get that every ear, If i manage to leave my sofa and slip, break a leg, I go to my doctor and get that taken care of, for free. So I think I'm staying in Sweden :-)

Oh, yes, we keep that damn rapper in custody, he wont get a chance to skip his sentence. He can't pay his way out of here as in the US :-)
    Right here
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    isnt that they way its described by certain candidates for potential policy upon election? the way members of the gop deride single payer or universal hc? the way certain media outlets describe it either for or against?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Sweden
    mrussel1 said:
    Agreed...healthcare impacts your taxes...and remember we have no say in what gets covered...so in essence we pay higher taxes plus have to a job with benefits or purchase your own benefits for dental, Pharma, eye care any other things...

i like universal healthcare.  But it does have it flaws...

most  here are not honest about the flaws...

Well, I pay 750$ a month and NOTHING is covered until I have spent another 6,000$ out of pocket, sooooo...yeah, Canada or Sweden would be a real nice improvement.

Our taxation rate is barely lower than Canada and Sweden, and is definitely higher if you consider the costs like healthcare, childcare, and other benefits the government can provide cheaper than our private options that are not considered taxes.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    I'm at my third holiday week of 5 payed (little more $$$ than when working). We get that every ear, If i manage to leave my sofa and slip, break a leg, I go to my doctor and get that taken care of, for free. So I think I'm staying in Sweden :-)

Oh, yes, we keep that damn rapper in custody, he wont get a chance to skip his sentence. He can't pay his way out of here as in the US :-)
    The only way you get “free” healthcare is if you do not pay taxes and still get it (even though you are mooching off others at that point), and from what I understand, Sweden taxes are pretty high.  Also, I was thinking, I have the option where I work to work less days throughout the year.  I choose not to because working more days increases my yearly income.  I guarantee companies factor in how many days you work into your overall yearly income.  Are you sure you are not getting scammed with a lower overall yearly income due to those “payed vacation days”?  
    If the data in the article below is accurate, and he makes a good case, if Sweden was a US state, it would be comparable with Kentucky in regards to disposable income:
    https://mises.org/wire/when-it-comes-household-income-sweden-and-germany-rank-kentucky

You may get a lot of vacation days, but can you afford to travel the world while you’re off or just to stay at home on your couch?  I don’t mind working a lot of days if it means I can enjoy the fruits of my labor when I’m on vacation.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Sweden
    I wouldn't trust anything from Mises...
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    That’s fine, but all the data is referenced to reputable sources.
  • Options
    Sweden
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Carefully selected data though!
    I don't actually doubt the data, but I don't trust the Mises Institute to EVER give a complete data set, because that would undermine the entire undertaking.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't actually doubt the data, but I don't trust the Mises Institute to EVER give a complete data set, because that would undermine the entire undertaking.
    I’m not going to debate the merits of the Mises, but feel free to comment on their proposed data/conclusion if you wish.  Thanks...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    In which state do you live?
  • Options
    Sweden
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Ohio, unfortunately.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    Sweden
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Ohio, unfortunately.
    move to sweden, they have the poupon
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Ohio, unfortunately.
    Why “unfortunately”?  You still live in a state with much higher average income than Sweden ;)
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Ohio, unfortunately.
    If your family makes over roughly 68k, you'd have a marginal income tax rate of about 60%. This excludes any local,  VAT, or capital gains tax.  I grew up in Cuyahoga, probably the most expensive county in Ohio,  and I know we didn't pay near that even with state and local added. 
  • Options
    Sweden
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Ohio, unfortunately.
    move to sweden, they have the poupon
    Awwww, how sweet!! My own personal Troll Doll's hair still stands up for me.  How heartwarming!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Canada
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    isnt that they way its described by certain candidates for potential policy upon election? the way members of the gop deride single payer or universal hc? the way certain media outlets describe it either for or against?
    Only morons think that is a literal term. Everyone else fully understands what is actually meant by "free" healthcare.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Only morons think that is a literal term. Everyone else fully understands what is actually meant by "free" healthcare.
    So it's a good thing there aren't any morons out there with the right to vote. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    yeah well , .........

• Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Ha, doesn't matter to me - I obviously don't think anyone should be voting against universal healthcare anyway ... Frankly, I also think only morons or brainwashed people are against universal healthcare.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Ha, doesn't matter to me - I obviously don't think anyone should be voting against universal healthcare anyway ... Frankly, I also think only morons or brainwashed people are against universal healthcare.
    How you get to universal (the economic philosophy) is where things go sideways politically.   Obamacare achieved almost universal care,  before it started getting stripped away.  
  • Options
    Sweden
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you counting the highly privileged in with the brainwashed?
    People who think they work hard and earn everything...oh man, these people...
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you for continuing with nuance here, rgambs. Like you (assuming you weren't being sarcastic), I think there are legitimate asks from people who are against universal healthcare who are regularly written off as morons, brainwashed, or selfish but just want to understand and be assured of what their sacrifices/gains will be in this migration. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Oh, okay, 3rd category: selfish jerks. Although they could arguable fall under the moron category too, since they fail to understand that a healthy society overall, where some aren't suffering due to an inequitable healthcare system (human rights violation) is good for them. I don't, however, include those who simply want to know the details of a smooth transition. That would suggest to me that they support universal healthcare, but just want a transition to it to be as painless as possible.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    Joking aside, there are many amazing places to live and I would enjoy living in Sweden most likely. That alcohol law though is legit a downer for me. It would be a real reason I would likely prefer many other places. 

SC - I’m assuming that includes any beer that is over 3.5% too?
    "Joking aside"? Here?  You have to be joking.

(Sorry- it's just my head in woozy summer heart!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.