Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    So go ahead tell me “ If you don’t like it here leave “ that’s the new American motto...
    Sweden is different.  If you don't like it there, they lock you up for 3 weeks without charging you with a crime and won't let you leave.
    Factually untrue. 

If you come to the US border though there is a  risk you will be locked up in a cage, raped or die in the hands of ’murica
    If you go to Sweden you will be raped (high rates), locked up committing no crime and they will try to get you to conform but making you a giant douchebag.
    So you are saying beating someone up in group is not a crime. Nice to know. Rather go by the swedish definition of assault than yours. 

Also, isnt being labeled a ”douchebag” by a rightwinger a badge Of honour?
    I’m saying not being charged with a crime before being locked up for weeks is criminal in itself.

Which rightwinger called you a douchebag? You should throw them in jail as you take 3 weeks to do what they do in 48-72 hours in a civilized society.
    What is the different between "charged" and "indicted" ?
    generally the police will charge you with a crime if they believe they have the supporting evidence. the prosecution will then determine whether an indictment will be sought from grand jury or the charges dropped for whatever reason.  all part of due process.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Enjoying my American made Tito s vodka tonight. 
    What do you think of Absolut?
    mid shelf Vodka, although the flavored goes okay with lemonade in the summer.  The best vodka is Chopin, followed by Belvedere.  Potato vodka, all the way. 
    Never had Chopin, will have to try it. Belvedere is good but I prefer ketel.  The goose is a rip off. 
    Chopin is expensive, a few bucks more than Belvedere.  Definitely don't mix it.  It's for martinis and other drinks that are almost pure vodka, or shots like back in the old country.  I"m not a fan of Grey Goose either, but that's because it's a grain or wheat vodka, like Ketel. I believe Tito's is corn. They are all good, but you're right that Grey Goose is overpriced.  It's more in line with Titos, Ketel and Absolut's of the world.  These are all distilled with rye, wheat, grain or something else.  I like the taste of potato vodka.  It has a slight sweetness to it, and it's ultra smooth.  Give Chopin a try.  It's definitely better than Belv. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Sweden because @Annafalk lives there.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    I’d love to live in Australia for a year or 2...

I now think visiting Sweden would be cool...so many places to visit but not enough cash..

these dats the best I can hope for is a night in Detroit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I’d love to live in Australia for a year or 2...

I now think visiting Sweden would be cool...so many places to visit but not enough cash..

these dats the best I can hope for is a night in Detroit...
    I want to live in Fish Creek, Victoria. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    :blush: Australia, Canada, The USA, all great countries that would be fun to live in. They have all so much to offer. If I’m lucky one day I can come and visit :)
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    :blush: Australia, Canada, The USA, all great countries that would be fun to live in. They have all so much to offer. If I’m lucky one day I can come and visit :)
    :smile:
    All of Scandinavia looks nice.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Annafalk said:
    I think the spectacular nature is in Norway on the north coastline. I would love to take a trip with the ship Hurtigruten one day or go hiking in the mountains/fjords. :) I would also like to visit Iceland one day to see their nature. There’s so much out there to see in the world.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    Canada
    So go ahead tell me “ If you don’t like it here leave “ that’s the new American motto...
    Sweden is different.  If you don't like it there, they lock you up for 3 weeks without charging you with a crime and won't let you leave.
    Factually untrue. 

If you come to the US border though there is a  risk you will be locked up in a cage, raped or die in the hands of ’murica
    If you go to Sweden you will be raped (high rates), locked up committing no crime and they will try to get you to conform but making you a giant douchebag.
    Locked up committing No crime you say? 3 weeks you say?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2019/07/22/dallas-born-citizen-picked-border-patrol-detained-three-weeks
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    U.S.A.
    Factually untrue. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2019/07/22/dallas-born-citizen-picked-border-patrol-detained-three-weeks
    The big difference? I think that is crap and unacceptable. As do many Americans.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    Factually untrue. 

The big difference? I think that is crap and unacceptable. As do many Americans.

How can it even be allowed to happen?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mickeyrat said:
    Factually untrue. 

So you are saying beating someone up in group is not a crime. Nice to know. Rather go by the swedish definition of assault than yours. 

Also, isnt being labeled a ”douchebag” by a rightwinger a badge Of honour?
    I’m saying not being charged with a crime before being locked up for weeks is criminal in itself.

Which rightwinger called you a douchebag? You should throw them in jail as you take 3 weeks to do what they do in 48-72 hours in a civilized society.
    What is the different between "charged" and "indicted" ?
    generally the police will charge you with a crime if they believe they have the supporting evidence. the prosecution will then determine whether an indictment will be sought from grand jury or the charges dropped for whatever reason.  all part of due process.....
    Okey, in Sweden the police can only arrest (GRIPA) someone (12 hours at the most). It is a prosecutor who decides if the person is to be detained further (ANHÅLLEN) but at most 3 days. After 3 days, to have the person detained further HÄKTAD, the prosecutor put forth the reasons/evidence to a COURT that decides if there are probably grounds for HÄKTA (charge?) or not. And then the prosecutor from what the investigation into that person shows decides to drop the suspicion charges or go to trial. Or a court decides that there are no probably grounds for HÄKTNING anymore and the suspect will be released.

For the tenth time @cincybearcat :

THE COURT may, at the request of the prosecutor, decide on HÄKTNING. The HÄKTNING/detention hearing takes place in court, no later than four days after the arrest. There should be PROBABLY REASONS/GROUNDS why the suspect has committed a crime that can give imprisonment for at least one year. In addition, there must be a risk that the suspect deviates, continues to commit crimes or destroys the criminal investigation.

Except for some US people in here not getting (or playing that they don't get it) that the justice system or perhaps the word "charge" isn't 1:1 the same all over the world, I fail to see the big difference. Except for us not basing our system on the one who can pay bail or not, us not having a monetary bail system. And try to have a society not completely built around those who have $, and those who don't.

As I said a few pages back, this could all be a semantics error.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Factually untrue. 

How can it even be allowed to happen?
    Because no one and no place is perfect. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I think the spectacular nature is in Norway on the north coastline. I would love to take a trip with the ship Hurtigruten one day or go hiking in the mountains/fjords. :) I would also like to visit Iceland one day to see their nature. There’s so much out there to see in the world.
    Plus there's the northern lights I want to see up your way. I wish I can see the world one day.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Yes, but he'll have a legal case against ICE for violating his 4th amendment rights.  
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, but he'll have a legal case against ICE for violating his 4th amendment rights.  
    What can the kids who have died at the border do?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    Try to be normal for a full day.  You were almost there. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    mrussel1 said:
    I doubt @mcgruff10 can handle this comment without comparing to Sweden but it is pretty freaking scary that you can be forced to marry someone at 12 years old.  That is insane.

That's misleading.  It's a state law thing, and the low ones are typically KY, WV, etc.  These rather backward states.  In VA, it is 18 unless the person is legally emancipated, and then it's 16.  If they aren't emancipated, 18.  
    File under "Bullshit I saw on FaceBook but ignored the fine print".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    Plus there's the northern lights I want to see up your way. I wish I can see the world one day.
    I have only seen the northern lights one time briefly, one must travel very much up north to have a good chance to see it and it’s more common at certain times of the year :) It’s exciting to think about all the cool things that’s out there to see in the world. 
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272
    Sweden
    I'm at my third holiday week of 5 payed (little more $$$ than when working). We get that every ear, If i manage to leave my sofa and slip, break a leg, I go to my doctor and get that taken care of, for free. So I think I'm staying in Sweden :-)

Oh, yes, we keep that damn rapper in custody, he wont get a chance to skip his sentence. He can't pay his way out of here as in the US :-)
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweden
    5. The government of Sweden controls your access to alcohol.
    In the decade after the second world war, Sweden was really struggling with the problem of alcoholism. After trying several other methods of cracking down on this issue, the government decided on a policy that they called Systembolaget in 1955. This structure is the government-controlled alcohol store, and it is the only place you can purchase products that contain more than 3.5% alcohol.

Is this true?  If so - reason enough to not vote for Sweden!
    You live in Cincy you go to the state liquor store, what's the difference?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Sweden
    Sweden seems like the game Candy Land, simple and cute, but will drive you nuts and you are at the mercy of the characters (government). The US is more like Settlers of Catan, work hard and reap the fruits (or grain, brick, lumber and ore lol) of your labor! 
    Hahaha that's hilarious!
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    rgambs said:
    5. The government of Sweden controls your access to alcohol.
    In the decade after the second world war, Sweden was really struggling with the problem of alcoholism. After trying several other methods of cracking down on this issue, the government decided on a policy that they called Systembolaget in 1955. This structure is the government-controlled alcohol store, and it is the only place you can purchase products that contain more than 3.5% alcohol.

Is this true?  If so - reason enough to not vote for Sweden!
    You live in Cincy you go to the state liquor store, what's the difference?
    3.5% alcohol....I can buy plenty above 3.5% alcohol just about wherever I want. And since it’s cincy, close to Kentucky, I have more options. 

Take a close look at it in sweden. It’s not good at all. Heck I don’t even like most of the state laws we have that restrict access, but they are tame compared to Sweden.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sweden
    Just imagine, if I lived in Sweden we could own a business AND have health care at the same time! 
    What an amazing idea.

Taxes wouldn't be any higher either.
    No-brainer right there!
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Joking aside, there are many amazing places to live and I would enjoy living in Sweden most likely. That alcohol law though is legit a downer for me. It would be a real reason I would likely prefer many other places. 

SC - I’m assuming that includes any beer that is over 3.5% too?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sweden
    I don't drink the devil's piss so I'm good to go...not very progressive with pot either though and I do enjoy a dry buzz.
    It's a classier buzz  ;)
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Federal immigration officers trying to arrest a Mexican national smashed a car window and dragged him from the vehicle in front of his girlfriend and two young children, prompting condemnation from the woman’s Missouri congressman.
This discussion has been closed.