PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    You ask why a small business can't afford vacation.  How can he answer that without knowing the p&l?  
    And how do you know there weren't Swedish businesses that went down or didn't start because of that law,  in part? Your unemployment rate is double the US. Maybe it would be lower if the business environment didn't have onerous requirements? What good is 2 weeks if you're unemployed?
    LOL.  You are getting your vacation at that point.  The States can still legislate 2 weeks, does not have to be paid.
    What's the point of that?  There would be a ton of lost wages that possibly couldn't be made up. 
    Yeah, that's no good and completely defies the point.
    I don't know if that's true or not.  I worked in the restaurant industry early in my life and there's some value with being able to take off, even unpaid,  without fear if never being on the schedule again. 
    I consider employers who refuse to grant unpaid leave another issue altogether.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    You ask why a small business can't afford vacation.  How can he answer that without knowing the p&l?  
    And how do you know there weren't Swedish businesses that went down or didn't start because of that law,  in part? Your unemployment rate is double the US. Maybe it would be lower if the business environment didn't have onerous requirements? What good is 2 weeks if you're unemployed?
    LOL.  You are getting your vacation at that point.  The States can still legislate 2 weeks, does not have to be paid.
    What's the point of that?  There would be a ton of lost wages that possibly couldn't be made up. 
    I don't know if that's true or not.  I worked in the restaurant industry early in my life and there's some value with being able to take off, even unpaid,  without fear if never being on the schedule again. 
    In the US, we have FMLA. If someone just doesn't want a shift for a few weeks,  it's up to the company whether they want to keep them or not.  A restaurant has to staff their shifts. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    In the US, we have FMLA. If someone just doesn't want a shift for a few weeks,  it's up to the company whether they want to keep them or not.  A restaurant has to staff their shifts. 
    Of course they do. Normally unpaid leave would be negotiated and schedules would be worked with so that an unpaid leave can reasonably be accommodated. I don't think the idea of consider it "vacation" is a good idea at all. They are two different things in the context of this conversation about paid vacation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Of course they do. Normally unpaid leave would be negotiated and schedules would be worked with so that an unpaid leave can reasonably be accommodated. I don't think the idea of consider it "vacation" is a good idea at all. They are two different things in the context of this conversation about paid vacation.
    So in Canada,  are restaurants required to provide two weeks of paid vacation? How many hours a week do you have to work to qualify?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,970
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    So in Canada,  are restaurants required to provide two weeks of paid vacation? How many hours a week do you have to work to qualify?
    At approx $2-3 an hour how much of a paid vacation is it really?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    It's not just servers,  but presumably you'd have to pay some average declared amount?
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    It's not just servers,  but presumably you'd have to pay some average declared amount?
    Like something in the ball park of $500 a week?  I'm assuming wait staff make at a minimum of $100 a shift?  I honestly have no clue.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Like something in the ball park of $500 a week?  I'm assuming wait staff make at a minimum of $100 a shift?  I honestly have no clue.
    All depends.. if you are a server at Berns in Tampa,  you make 150k a year.  Working lunch at chili's probably would be less.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    All depends.. if you are a server at Berns in Tampa,  you make 150k a year.  Working lunch at chili's probably would be less.  
    Absolutely. Servers at high end restaurants make a lot of money. Being in the mortgage business, ive seen it with my own two eyes.  Serious dough. Good for them. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Why would it only be $2-3 per hour? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Tipped employees like servers make $2.13 per hour as the base FLSA rate.  And then at the end of each night, they have to claim how much they made in tips.  If that amount doesn't meet the min wage for that employee type by state (ranges from like 8-15 bucks per hour) then the business has make up the rest.  Now servers try not to claim the full amount, so they pay less in taxes, so they sort of walk a tight rope.  It used to be easier to cheat the gov't when cash was more common.  Now it's credit, so it's dangerous.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Tipped employees like servers make $2.13 per hour as the base FLSA rate.  And then at the end of each night, they have to claim how much they made in tips.  If that amount doesn't meet the min wage for that employee type by state (ranges from like 8-15 bucks per hour) then the business has make up the rest.  Now servers try not to claim the full amount, so they pay less in taxes, so they sort of walk a tight rope.  It used to be easier to cheat the gov't when cash was more common.  Now it's credit, so it's dangerous.  
    That’s ridiculous. Restaurant workers in BC have to get minimum wage, before tips. 

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    That’s ridiculous. Restaurant workers in BC have to get minimum wage, before tips. 

What's customary for tips?  I know Europeans just absolutely do not tip.  In the US, 20% is customary.  
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Servers in BC don't get the same minimum wage, they have a lower one according to this source.  https://www.narcity.com/life/heres-how-much-a-server-is-getting-paid-per-hour-by-province-in-canada
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Servers in BC don't get the same minimum wage, they have a lower one according to this source.  https://www.narcity.com/life/heres-how-much-a-server-is-getting-paid-per-hour-by-province-in-canada
    Yes, that’s looks correct; my first search was too general. Still, slightly over $10/hr is a far cry from $2-3/hr. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Yes, that’s looks correct; my first search was too general. Still, slightly over $10/hr is a far cry from $2-3/hr. 
    What do you usually tip in Canada for a meal?  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Can’t speak for everyone but I usually tip at least 20%, even at counter service places. I put myself through university working in food service and my kid is working at as a server at this very minute, so I know how hard the work is. In my mind, if someone can’t afford to tip properly they shouldn’t be going out for dinner. 

• Options
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Can’t speak for everyone but I usually tip at least 20%, even at counter service places. I put myself through university working in food service and my kid is working at as a server at this very minute, so I know how hard the work is. In my mind, if someone can’t afford to tip properly they shouldn’t be going out for dinner. 

100% agree.  That's part of the cost of the meal.  I don't feel obligated to tip the dude at Subway though. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

100% agree.  That's part of the cost of the meal.  I don't feel obligated to tip the dude at Subway though. 
    Same. I feel like I see tip jars everywhere now. I don’t tip the dude who rolls my burrito at chipotle or the person who hands me a scoop of ice cream . Just can’t do it.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

Same. I feel like I see tip jars everywhere now. I don’t tip the dude who rolls my burrito at chipotle or the person who hands me a scoop of ice cream . Just can’t do it.
    I do, or at least I would if I ate at Chipotle. The people working at those jobs might need it more than most.  

• Options
    U.S.A.
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right

I do, or at least I would if I ate at Chipotle. The people working at those jobs might need it more than most.  

I hear you, but where does it end? I tip very well when I’m served at a restaurant. But walking through the line at chipotle is not being served food. I feel like I’ll have to tip the cashier at the grocery store soon for scanning my groceries. Same concept in my opinion.
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    ^ plus there are multiple people preparing my burrito. Should I tip them all? That would be one expensive burrito. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ plus there are multiple people preparing my burrito. Should I tip them all? That would be one expensive burrito. 
    They tip out, I imagine 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    I have no issues that the jars are there,  and I'll tip them. But with servers,  it's a social obligation,  whereas the chipotle workers feels closer to charity. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,257
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    We dont tip in uk. Its very rare
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Tips shouldn’t be a thing or customary at all. Stupid practice all around. It’s unfortunate that it is a thing really.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    In Ontario, every employee is entitled to two weeks paid each year.  People taking a vacation is far harmful to the economy.  Most vacations are taken in the summer and the employers replace people who are off on vacation with students...therefore...people on vacation are out spending money taking trips or whatever and there are jobs for students who need the money.

Do not take this the wrong way, you are a teacher? correct.  I find it ironic that a teacher who gets Christmas off, a winter break and summers off wanting to deny someone 2 weeks unpaid a year.  What is the matter with your thinking?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Vacation time is set by the province.  In Ontario, after a year on the job, we are entitled to 2 weeks paid each year.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah right
    Servers in Canada make more than that...jeesh...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    I was talking to a young couple I know who are living in Sweden while finishing up with schooling (advanced degrees).  They were home in the states for a visit and were describing life in Sweden.  As they went along in their descriptions I kept thinking, "Uh huh... OK... cool... very cool... sweet!..."

...and then they got to the part where they were talking about the food over there.  No way, thank you very much!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.