THE BEST DAYS ARE OVER!!

Comments

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    And let me just say if we are not going to get the production out of the band, then how about some communication. Hey guys, going to take a couple years off. Might play a few shows here and there. 

No need to give reasons, that’s not our business. But if your favorite restaurant is going to be closed for an amount of time they have the courtesy to put a sign on the door telling you they will be closed. You don’t have to wonder why, you just know you have to wait till they get back for some more delicious tacos. 

We as fan club members are invested with our cash (membership dues) and the time we spend. Yes this is all voluntary, but for 40 bucks a year(analog) it’s not hard to send out a group email kinda letting us know what’s in the future. Even if it turns out to be nothing. I would like to know. Maybe nobody knows. Maybe everyone is in a holding pattern right now. But the longer you wait to land sometimes it all come s crashing down. 

Peace and love
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    With even Jeff showing publically hos frustration and that he doesn't know what is going on - I would think the band doesn't even know what comes next in a lot of occasions. 

So that would be hard communicating with us. When they are not synced up to begin with.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    With even Jeff showing publically hos frustration and that he doesn't know what is going on - I would think the band doesn't even know what comes next in a lot of occasions. 

So that would be hard communicating with us. When they are not synced up to begin with.
    A marriage without communication usually ends in divorce. Hopefully this isn’t their version of a trial separation. 
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i started seeing this pattern at least 10 years ago.  
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,765
    Sad as it sounds. We will never get the consistent touring and album releases like in the past. Which is sad because a band like Dave Matthews Band still put out albums and tour consistently every summer. Dave Matthews and band are all multi millionaires and all have families and kids but they tend to realize that being on that stage and entertaining their millions of fans comes first and still seem to love what they do. Shame that our band doesn’t seem to have that fire and desire to do the same thing anymore. Shit we won’t even get vinyl singles anymore and deep magazine, what is that? I love this band and it hurts me that they seem to have lost the connection with each other and their fans. Shit. Tour three months a year and have nine months off for side projects and family time. Way more free time than us working regular jobs that pay for the merch/ tickets/ albums will ever dream of until if and when we can retire. Sorry. I’m just ranting and miss my band. Peace and love. Peace and love. 
    FYI, *Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued beginning for 2019 Memberships. The Band is still making the Deep Magazine for the fan club.

To be honest, most of the "news" is now in the emails. DEEP is more like a very late "year in review" magazine.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    The next Deep magazine better be bible thick for all the time they’ve missed. 
    edited July 2019

A:  Pearl Jam are this, this, and this, they deserve to work at their own pace.
    B: Yeh but DMB are also this, this, and this and they still tour all year every year and put out 17 albums a month. What is PJ doing?
    etc.
    The difference between DMB and Pearl Jam 

DMB is run like a successful business 

PJ is run like a part time hobby. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ is not DMB. If you want a DMB business, I believe you might be in the wrong fan club. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    this thread is good.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    We don't have to want a DMB style business to want more from Pearl Jam's business.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    We don't have to want a DMB style business to want more from Pearl Jam's business.
    Exactly. Thank you
  • JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    edited July 2019
    Cosmo said:
    You spend your entire life writing songs for your first album. You get a 6 months to write your second. That’s how it used to be in the age of record companies.
    And the normal trajectory for bands was a lot of music early on, which meant you had to promote record sales. Touring was the best vehicle for that.
    Nowadays, post-Record company and the market demand for physical formats waning, it is merchandising and touring that pays the bills.
    So many factors come into play. Artistically, you run low on thing you have to say, because you’ve already said it. Saying the same thing over and over doesn’t work.
    So, it starts out selling Records and touring early on, but the older you get, the older that touring shit gets. 
    Look at the older bands. Do you want new music from The Rolling Stones? Paul McCartney? KIZZ? NO!!! You want to hear the old stuff. Not just the hits, I’d see the Stones if they played ‘Rocks Off’ instead of ‘Satisfaction’ but they will play the big hits to satisfy the masses.
    i don’t blame Pearl Jam to get off of the grueling road and chill with the families.
    Take their kids to soccer practice, enjoy a quiet dinner with the wife, hanging with friends or just sitting around.
    They are artists and musicians. They can’t avoid creating, but it gets tougher to come up with something new, every time. They don’t get the luxury we have, repeating the same stories of our lives, changing up the words but telling the same story over and over.
    As with all other bands, they will end. That’s okay. We can move on. They can tour, but I don’t want them to fall into the tour the hits phase. I mean, I’m pretty sure The Beach Boys get on stage some nights and dread playing ‘Surfin USA’ for the bazillionth time.
    i just want them to be happy. That’s want I want from them, to be happy.
    But, that’s just me.
    I get what you're saying but think about the band's politics.  If the Trump election and the future world that may be in store for our children doesn't inspire you to develop some passionate material, I don't know what will.  I also thought there would be a flurry of song writing in response to Chris Cornell's passing, sort of their Temple of a Dog album.  All of this is of course deeply personal to them on an individual level and I obviously can't read minds/know their feelings but I thought that combination would kick the creativity into gear.
    Post edited by JB56195 on

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    The only guaranteed show on the horizon is the Jon Tester Benefit 2024. Book your motel room now.
    Who ever thought Montana would become the new Seattle. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:
    Somehow this all reminds me of something I read recently:

"I think musicians should be like warriors.  Defiant and searching, like Miles Davis. "
    -Henry Rollings, Smile, You're Travelling

Henry goes on to talk about his love of jazz, one main reason being that many of the jazz greats were and are warriors

"Many of the great beboppers were warriors of the highest pedigree.  They were black and got fucked over for their beauty and brilliance.  They were hard core and many of them went out poor and beat down.  No five car garages paid for by the royalties of one hit record for these guys.  It was the hard route, the real road, poorly lit rooms, prison, insane asylums, addiction, obscurity, oblivion, and cowardly whites holding them down.  Amazing music from a higher level that they paid for in full."

You won't find a lot of these "warriors" in popular rock music.  Neil Young is one, for sure.  Willie Nelson- you bet.  Same with Bob Dylan.  Bob is 78 years old and still out there doing it.  Sorry if this sounds offensive to some of you, but slighting Dylan because he doesn't meet your expectations is weak and pathetic.  When you're 78, let's see if you're still making the rounds.
    I saw Dylan over 20 years ago and it was horrible. I saw Bob Seger in February and while the spirit is there the voice is not. So some people, ie: Dylan need to give it up if they can not perform half way decent. Shit, Jagger is still up there destroying it. We have warriors this day and age like DMB but a band like Pearl Jam who have worn their influences on their sleeve like Neil Young really need to take a play out of their book. Uncle Neil is still doing it on a regular basis. I must just be a super selfish asshole because a band I grew up with that have changed and paved the way for my life, I just don’t think it’s too much to ask for some productivity. But like I said. That’s me being selfish. There is only one and will always be only one Pearl Jam and if they called it a day today they still have done for my life than my parents ever did. 
    Well, that's a shame.  I saw Dylan with Tom Petty and you couldn't ask for more.  But talking shit about Bob Dylan?  What ever.  Maybe ask "Uncle Neil" (God damn, that guy has a lot relatives) what he thinks of Dylan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    My prediction:

-New album in 2020
    -Tour in 2020 (nothing huge....like 2013...solid tour)
    -Random "ballpark" shows from 2021-2023
    -One more album/EP/Lost Dogs 2
    -Small US tour
    -More ballpark shows for the next few years

They aren't done. Not by a longshot. But, they have slowed down considerably and will continue to do so. 

We're truly lucky to have seen these guys. Enjoy it while you can, everyone. 

Cheers!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,995
    If PJ hasn’t toured in a few years then at least there was a really kickass Pearl Jam cover band playing shows all over Europe last summer. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,731
    tdawe said:
    If PJ hasn’t toured in a few years then at least there was a really kickass Pearl Jam cover band playing shows all over Europe last summer. 
    You mean the same summer that the real Pearl Jam toured Europe?
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2019

Pearl Jam has become old, tired, and lazy

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Now now careful with the  projecting...go easy on yourself...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    PJNB said:
    tdawe said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    ryph raph said:

Pearl Jam has become old, tired, and lazy

inaccurate generalization.  Rich and unmotivated would be a more accurate one.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    PJNB said:
    tdawe said:

Teri Hatcher was my Agnes back in the day. Lois Lane where have you gone?
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited July 2019
    Pearl Jam
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    This is a Pearl Jam message board so I am cool with all of the speculation.  If you were at a dinner party and you were speculating with non fans that would be a problem.  A PJ message board, then anything should go unless being blatantly disrespectful.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    You know as my mom once told me. If I have nothing nice to say, then don’t say nothing at all. She’s a cunt so I never listened. But for the sake of all the people on here that have UNCONDITIONAL LOVE for the band and don’t wanna hear comments and questions about the status of the band anymore, I have decided to be like PJ and say nothing for the immediate future. Peace and love to all on here and I hope to see you at a show in the near future. Peace and Love. Peace and Love. 

This is a Pearl Jam message board so I am cool with all of the speculation.  If you were at a dinner party and you were speculating with non fans that would be a problem.  A PJ message board, then anything should go unless being blatantly disrespectful.
    ...such as calling a woman a c***, especially one's mother (see post above yours).  Oh, and then following that up with "Peace and love".  Riiiiiiight..

But yeah, bottlegger, I agree.  People should be free to speak their mind in a reasonable manner. No problemo!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

You know as my mom once told me. If I have nothing nice to say, then don’t say nothing at all. She’s a cunt so I never listened. But for the sake of all the people on here that have UNCONDITIONAL LOVE for the band and don’t wanna hear comments and questions about the status of the band anymore, I have decided to be like PJ and say nothing for the immediate future. Peace and love to all on here and I hope to see you at a show in the near future. Peace and Love. Peace and Love. 
    wait, is Axl Rose a Ten Club member?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    mfc2006 said:
    My prediction:

-New album in 2020
    -Tour in 2020 (nothing huge....like 2013...solid tour)
    -Random "ballpark" shows from 2021-2023
    -One more album/EP/Lost Dogs 2
    -Small US tour
    -More ballpark shows for the next few years

They aren't done. Not by a longshot. But, they have slowed down considerably and will continue to do so. 

We're truly lucky to have seen these guys. Enjoy it while you can, everyone. 

Cheers!
    I can't believe it's been 9 years since they visited Indy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited July 2019
    The problem isn't hearing "comments and questions about the status of the band."  It's fine to inquire, speculate, and seek information.  The problem is that some folks can't seem to do that without making it their mission to throw in some snide remark about "retirement" or posting an ad to an old folks home or saying they're "not a band" every chance they get.  The #1 rule of the forum is about respect, and it's disrespectful to the band and its members to constantly say crap like that about them.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    The problem isn't hearing "comments and questions about the status of the band."  It's fine to inquire, speculate, and seek information.  The problem is that some folks can't seem to do that without making it their mission to throw in some snide remark about "retirement" or posting an ad to an old folks home or saying they're "not a band" every chance they get.  The #1 rule of the forum is about respect, and it's disrespectful to the band and its members to constantly say crap like that about them.
    Very well put. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore