Options

THE BEST DAYS ARE OVER!!

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    How about sissy 
    That one's definitely risen up the charts as a "don't use" word.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,745
    rummy said:
    How about sissy 
    Seriously?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,282
    rummy said:
    How about sissy 
    Seriously?
    Really lol 😂 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    NewJPage said:
    vaggar99 said:
    i wish they would just come out and say "we hate making records.  there's no money in it.  playing shows is fun and it pays bookoos of money.  thanks for understanding."  Steve Nicks did it.
    But they don't play shows

Hey 26 in 40 months!

If money were the big driver they'd charge for tickets what the other bands of their stature do
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    edited July 2019
    NewJPage said:
    vaggar99 said:
    i wish they would just come out and say "we hate making records.  there's no money in it.  playing shows is fun and it pays bookoos of money.  thanks for understanding."  Steve Nicks did it.
    But they don't play shows

Hey 26 in 40 months!

If money were the big driver they'd charge for tickets what the other bands of their stature do
    the band has always been fair in this respect.  
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,035
    There’s more to life than Pearl Jam
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    There may be countless reasons why the band hasn´t released a new album yet.
    Maybe the well is starting to run dry or the inspiration just isn´t there yet. Inspiration comes and goes. I´m pretty sure the death of Cornell has something to do with it too. I´m sure once Ed is ready to go, the band will too. They don´t owe us anything and has already given us so much. They deserve all the respect we can possibly give. 

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    KM73780 said:
    There’s more to life than Pearl Jam
    True but Pearl Jam is like good weed, it makes those other things in life so much better. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    In all seriousness. PJ owes us nothing. There catalog is unreal. Their live shows were life changers. For the guy above who said there is more to life than PJ. That is true but some live PJ was something my wife and daughter would all share together. I have road tripped with this band to multiple shows. Most I saw them was six times in a year (ahhh the good old days) and now that I am older with a family they are the good time and life changing moments for my wife and daughter like they were for me. But all good things come to an end so whatever is up in PJ land, I like everyone else will sit and wait. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    CharlieP said:
    There may be countless reasons why the band hasn´t released a new album yet.
    Maybe the well is starting to run dry or the inspiration just isn´t there yet. Inspiration comes and goes. I´m pretty sure the death of Cornell has something to do with it too. I´m sure once Ed is ready to go, the band will too. They don´t owe us anything and has already given us so much. They deserve all the respect we can possibly give. 

My respect is both ongoing and forthcoming.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I think if I were a member of Pearl Jam I would feel like we got too big, that the expectations are too high and I might believe that those are some reasons why the last 3 or 4 albums were mediocre at best.  I would want to back off, forget about all the attention, refocus on why I'm in it in the first place, and seek renewed inspiration.  I would look at other bands like Dinosaur Jr and feel envious of their good fortune in not being so HUGE and seeing them continue to produce top quality music.  I would try to move more in that direction.  I hope that happens with this band.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I think we can all agree that Backspacer was a shit album for the most part. But I personally would put Lightning Bolt above Backspacer, Riot Act, Avocado 🥑 and some days Binaural. I loved all the albums mentioned except Backspacer but I spin Lightning Bolt more than the others to this day. I spin it more than Ten also but that’s just from burnout of Ten. Ten is the far superior album to Lightning Bolt for sure. 

I think Chris dying had a lot to do with the break but also Petty dying had to hurt Ed bad too. Probably put important things in perspective. (Like Cubs baseball lol)
  • Options
    I think the band would benefit from some jazz lessons.
  • Options
    FastrichieFastrichie Sandy Hook, CT Posts: 916
    In all seriousness. PJ owes us nothing. There catalog is unreal. Their live shows were life changers. For the guy above who said there is more to life than PJ. That is true but some live PJ was something my wife and daughter would all share together. I have road tripped with this band to multiple shows. Most I saw them was six times in a year (ahhh the good old days) and now that I am older with a family they are the good time and life changing moments for my wife and daughter like they were for me. But all good things come to an end so whatever is up in PJ land, I like everyone else will sit and wait. 
    I agree with this 100%. Nothing better than sharing a PJ trip with family and friends. Been to many cities and met many great people. 
    04/06/94 Springfield, 04/17/94 NYC, 10/02/96 Hartford, 11/14/97 Oakland, 09/08/98 NJ, 09/10/98 MSG, 09/11/98 MSG, 09/13/98 Hartford, 08/24/00 Jones Beach, 08/25/00 Jones Beach 04/30/03 Uniondale, 07/08/03 MSG, 07/09/03 MSG, 09/28/04 Boston, 10/01/05 Borgata, 10/03/05 Philly, 05/13/06 Hartford 05/25/06 Boston, 06/01/06 NJ, 06/03/06 NJ, 08/05/07 Chicago, 06/24/08 MSG, 06/25/08 MSG, 06/27/08 Hartford, 06/30/08 Mansfield, 07/01/08 The Beacon, 08/21/09 Toronto, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 05/15/2010 Hartford, 05/17/2010 Boston, 05/20/2010 MSG, 05/21/2010 MSG, Montreal 09/07/2011, Philly 09/01/2012, Wrigley 07/19-20,2013, Worcester 10/16/13, Brooklyn 10/18, Brooklyn 10/19/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Ed Sullivan 09/23/2015, Central Park 09/26/2015 Philly 04/29/2016. MSG 05/01/2016, MSG 05/02/2016, Fenway 08/05/2016, Fenway 08/07/2016, Brooklyn 04/07/2017, Seattle 08/08/2018, Seattle 08/10/2018, Chicago 08/20/2018, Fenway 09/02/2018, Fenway 09/04/2018, Asbury Park 09/18/2021, Apollo Theater 09/10/2022, MSG 09/11/2022, Camden 09/14/2022

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    I think we can all agree that Backspacer was a shit album for the most part. But I personally would put Lightning Bolt above Backspacer, Riot Act, Avocado 🥑 and some days Binaural. I loved all the albums mentioned except Backspacer but I spin Lightning Bolt more than the others to this day. I spin it more than Ten also but that’s just from burnout of Ten. Ten is the far superior album to Lightning Bolt for sure. 

I think Chris dying had a lot to do with the break but also Petty dying had to hurt Ed bad too. Probably put important things in perspective. (Like Cubs baseball lol)
    I would rank Lightning Bolt exactly where it stands in the release catalog, dead last by a long shot. I highly prefer Backspacer and would like to write off the last decade of Pearl Jam studio releases (hell, even the annual singles have been kind of crap) and at least 5 years of live acts. 2014 was the last great tour with '16 being pretty strong, but a bit uneven. Stadium shows suck and setlist is getting old with too many standard covers dominating. Retire RITFW for god's sake and move Even Flow, Porch and Alive around more to break up the monotony. Play more No Code - Self Titled songs; they're all fantastic albums. The 2010's is the decade that truly has established PJ as a nostalgia act, which is unfortunate because I thought they had a lot left in the tank up until LB was released, but that album along with the long hiatus before and after seem to be the clear sign of where this band is when it comes to new music. That's not going to change and they're never going to be relevant again. Their time has officially passed. Glad I was able to be there from the beginning on and enjoy them at their peak.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tbergs said:

I would rank Lightning Bolt exactly where it stands in the release catalog, dead last by a long shot. I highly prefer Backspacer and would like to write off the last decade of Pearl Jam studio releases (hell, even the annual singles have been kind of crap) and at least 5 years of live acts. 2014 was the last great tour with '16 being pretty strong, but a bit uneven. Stadium shows suck and setlist is getting old with too many standard covers dominating. Retire RITFW for god's sake and move Even Flow, Porch and Alive around more to break up the monotony. Play more No Code - Self Titled songs; they're all fantastic albums. The 2010's is the decade that truly has established PJ as a nostalgia act, which is unfortunate because I thought they had a lot left in the tank up until LB was released, but that album along with the long hiatus before and after seem to be the clear sign of where this band is when it comes to new music. That's not going to change and they're never going to be relevant again. Their time has officially passed. Glad I was able to be there from the beginning on and enjoy them at their peak.
    pretty much sums up how I feel.  I thought Backspacer was a sign that the band was moving back to short/punchy albums.  ones that were easier to produce and hence we would get more of them.  oh well.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
    edited July 2019
    2016 was a fantastic tour. Whatchutalkinabout 

Also Euro 2018 was small but had some amazing shows too. Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London 2 where all stellar. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Thread title is correct, but this has been the case for over a decade.  The shows are still pretty damn fun even if the singalong moments can be a bit cringey.  And as other have said, the catalog speaks for itself.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    OctopuS27OctopuS27 Portugal Posts: 569
    The demand is on, always been. The band knows how it is.
    We can relate to their 'not commitment' by snorkeling around other music, maybe.
    Or get that 'cold confession' mp3 on, and imagine, new stuff is being done.
    Dunno...
    What i do know is that i have to pick a PJ t-shirt, from dozens, to wear over at Muse tonight.
    Watching that robot sing.
    Cheers :rock_on:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    First of all I will say. Any amount of PJ is better than no PJ at all. With that being said. The variety of the shows has become somewhat stale. Same couple openers, first set ends with RVM or Porch with the other usually closing out the first encore. Alive in the second encore. It just seems like they take less chances now. No big deal. But they are still light years above the bands that play the same set list every night. Shit, some bands have the same stage banter between songs. You never know what Ed’s going to say. But the holy shit sets seem to be long gone. Maybe I’m wrong but just seems like it’s easier to call the recent ones than the old ones. 

Every band as they age seem to lose the fire and drive and the music seems to become a character (I think that’s the right word) of what seemed so fresh when they and we were young. What was once so rebellious and fresh is now blah. But shit, could you imagine having to sing Even Flow for the millionth time just so Mike can pull out an epic solo. 

Look at the bands from the 60’s and 70’s now. Rebels that were game changers back then are old grandparents that just play the hits. All great bands become nostalgic acts over time. I believe this is where we are at in PJ land. It’s a shame but that’s life. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    I hope they at least put together one more album and play some dates.  Something is better than nothing.  

Going out with a whimper and ghosting us would be a real bummer. Send out a tweet and let us know what's up.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i don't find them to be a nostalgia act. just a great rock band, where there messages are still relevant even in this ever changing world. look at dylan he has songs from 50 years ago where the message is till relevant. for whatever reason they don't want to tour like they used to. i think 2016 was a great tour with a good amount of dates. i was lucky and went to 4 shows. come out and do a limited hits tour, a rarities tour any tour. but if not i can only say it was a great run and always had great times travelling to different cities . personally i don't like stadium shows so i don't go. and by the way 2016 was way better than 2014 as ed's voice was far superior . his voice in 16 only started to give out by the last show in toronto. just my opinion.  so guys come back out , catch some fire, desire and show us all why we have loved the music for so long. 
  • Options
    JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 80
    I hope they at least put together one more album and play some dates.  Something is better than nothing.  

Going out with a whimper and ghosting us would be a real bummer. Send out a tweet and let us know what's up.
    Agree with you so much.  
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    vaggar99 said:
    tbergs said:

pretty much sums up how I feel.  I thought Backspacer was a sign that the band was moving back to short/punchy albums.  ones that were easier to produce and hence we would get more of them.  oh well.
    Back to short punchy albums? When did they ever make short punchy albums? Maybe Vs would fit that description, but otherwise they’ve done a good job of expanding their basic sound a bit here and there. I’d take that approach, which I think they used on LB, long before the dumbing down they did with Backspacer. When a song like Unthought Known is perceived as a highlight, you know that the rest is at best half baked.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,881
    They are working on a new album now. That's all I can say and probably shouldn't even be saying that to respect my source, but I just wanted to share that with other fans waiting. I'm excited!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    They are working on a new album now. That's all I can say and probably shouldn't even be saying that to respect my source, but I just wanted to share that with other fans waiting. I'm excited!
    I've heard from someone with "connections" that the album is already done..
    I trust none of it

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
    I am no stalker at all with this band and know very little of where they are at all times but ever since the Boston shows when exactly did they have time to all get together and put together an album? 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    The best days are over...I say that every time I get out of bed in the morning...
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,834
    Awesome news.  thanks for sharing.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......