Options

THE BEST DAYS ARE OVER!!

Comments

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    on2legs said:
    You know as my mom once told me. If I have nothing nice to say, then don’t say nothing at all. She’s a cunt so I never listened. But for the sake of all the people on here that have UNCONDITIONAL LOVE for the band and don’t wanna hear comments and questions about the status of the band anymore, I have decided to be like PJ and say nothing for the immediate future. Peace and love to all on here and I hope to see you at a show in the near future. Peace and Love. Peace and Love. 
    The problem isn't hearing "comments and questions about the status of the band."  It's fine to inquire, speculate, and seek information.  The problem is that some folks can't seem to do that without making it their mission to throw in some snide remark about "retirement" or posting an ad to an old folks home or saying they're "not a band" every chance they get.  The #1 rule of the forum is about respect, and it's disrespectful to the band and its members to constantly say crap like that about them.
    Very well put. 
    it's easy to get upset at the dead for dying.  its not rational of course.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Zod said:
    Sad as it sounds. We will never get the consistent touring and album releases like in the past. Which is sad because a band like Dave Matthews Band still put out albums and tour consistently every summer. Dave Matthews and band are all multi millionaires and all have families and kids but they tend to realize that being on that stage and entertaining their millions of fans comes first and still seem to love what they do. Shame that our band doesn’t seem to have that fire and desire to do the same thing anymore. Shit we won’t even get vinyl singles anymore and deep magazine, what is that? I love this band and it hurts me that they seem to have lost the connection with each other and their fans. Shit. Tour three months a year and have nine months off for side projects and family time. Way more free time than us working regular jobs that pay for the merch/ tickets/ albums will ever dream of until if and when we can retire. Sorry. I’m just ranting and miss my band. Peace and love. Peace and love. 
    FYI, *Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued beginning for 2019 Memberships. The Band is still making the Deep Magazine for the fan club.
    That could be argued.  They're two fan club singles and two deep magazines behind..... one could argue they don't :)

In all seriousness... I still think we have good days ahead.  I always figured the band would get older and the output might slow down.   We saw it happen to all the other big rock bands that had multi-decade careers.  I still think we'll get great live shows (even if they are rarer).    My flip side, is given how much 90s music didn't survive, that the band that's been my favourite one since I was 14 keeps on truckin'.   Sure the albums and live shows are a little sparse, but I know I'll get more.  What were the odds my band was the one that survived.. I feel pretty lucky.

Fairly high given the exponential popularity of Ten and Vs.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Zod said:
    Sad as it sounds. We will never get the consistent touring and album releases like in the past. Which is sad because a band like Dave Matthews Band still put out albums and tour consistently every summer. Dave Matthews and band are all multi millionaires and all have families and kids but they tend to realize that being on that stage and entertaining their millions of fans comes first and still seem to love what they do. Shame that our band doesn’t seem to have that fire and desire to do the same thing anymore. Shit we won’t even get vinyl singles anymore and deep magazine, what is that? I love this band and it hurts me that they seem to have lost the connection with each other and their fans. Shit. Tour three months a year and have nine months off for side projects and family time. Way more free time than us working regular jobs that pay for the merch/ tickets/ albums will ever dream of until if and when we can retire. Sorry. I’m just ranting and miss my band. Peace and love. Peace and love. 
    FYI, *Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued beginning for 2019 Memberships. The Band is still making the Deep Magazine for the fan club.
    That could be argued.  They're two fan club singles and two deep magazines behind..... one could argue they don't :)

In all seriousness... I still think we have good days ahead.  I always figured the band would get older and the output might slow down.   We saw it happen to all the other big rock bands that had multi-decade careers.  I still think we'll get great live shows (even if they are rarer).    My flip side, is given how much 90s music didn't survive, that the band that's been my favourite one since I was 14 keeps on truckin'.   Sure the albums and live shows are a little sparse, but I know I'll get more.  What were the odds my band was the one that survived.. I feel pretty lucky.

Fairly high given the exponential popularity of Ten and Vs.
    I think he meant „survive“ in a more literal sense 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    brianlux said:
    You know as my mom once told me. If I have nothing nice to say, then don’t say nothing at all. She’s a cunt so I never listened. But for the sake of all the people on here that have UNCONDITIONAL LOVE for the band and don’t wanna hear comments and questions about the status of the band anymore, I have decided to be like PJ and say nothing for the immediate future. Peace and love to all on here and I hope to see you at a show in the near future. Peace and Love. Peace and Love. 

This is a Pearl Jam message board so I am cool with all of the speculation.  If you were at a dinner party and you were speculating with non fans that would be a problem.  A PJ message board, then anything should go unless being blatantly disrespectful.
    ...such as calling a woman a c***, especially one's mother (see post above yours).  Oh, and then following that up with "Peace and love".  Riiiiiiight..

But yeah, bottlegger, I agree.  People should be free to speak their mind in a reasonable manner. No problemo!
    I'm sure he meant to use the word "pussy." 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

This is a Pearl Jam message board so I am cool with all of the speculation.  If you were at a dinner party and you were speculating with non fans that would be a problem.  A PJ message board, then anything should go unless being blatantly disrespectful.
    ...such as calling a woman a c***, especially one's mother (see post above yours).  Oh, and then following that up with "Peace and love".  Riiiiiiight..

But yeah, bottlegger, I agree.  People should be free to speak their mind in a reasonable manner. No problemo!
    I don't know the person.  I'm just surprised it slipped by unnoticed.  Mods have made it very clear.  Besides, we shouldn't even NEED a rule against that,  It's low, low, low.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    JimmyV said:
    Bob Dylan was one of the worst concerts I’ve ever seen. Huge letdown. 
    Same....but it was in 2012 I believe.    Horrible...HORRIBLE.   
    1999. Couldn't believe how bad it was. That he's still touring 20 years later is wild.
    Worst show I ever saw. Think it was in the 2006-2008 range. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

I don't know the person.  I'm just surprised it slipped by unnoticed.  Mods have made it very clear.  Besides, we shouldn't even NEED a rule against that,  It's low, low, low.
    Just trying to slip in a rather obscure Curb Your Enthusiasm reference.

The c-word is probably in the bottom five words one shouldn't use in 2019. (Please don't ask me to name the other four).
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

The c-word is probably in the bottom five words one shouldn't use in 2019. (Please don't ask me to name the other four).
    Is this a dare? I don't think you know the other 4. :smile:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431
    If I was a rockstar or an athlete or someone with lots of fans, family would come before fans every single time.  Fans can be appreciated, but we aren’t owed anything.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

The c-word is probably in the bottom five words one shouldn't use EVER. (Please don't ask me to name the other four).
    Fixed.  :smiley: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited July 2019
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

To be fair, that perspective doesn't really work in the UK. The c-word isn't considered anywhere near as taboo there - it doesn't have the same connotation for Brits as it does for a lot of Americans (I must admit the word doesn't have that connotation for me personally either - I really don't care if people use it, and I think too much is made of it). Maybe the person is British.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

To be fair, that perspective doesn't really work in the UK. The c-word isn't considered anywhere near as taboo there - it doesn't have the same connotation for Brits as it does for a lot of Americans (I must admit the word doesn't have that connotation for me personally either - I really don't care if people use it, and I think too much is made of it). Maybe the person is British.
    I hadn't considered that.  I'll admit that it is something that I personally cannot stand and will never, ever say myself.  I think that the big point I probably got hung up on was it in reference to mom.  Now, I also do not know what the person's relationship is with their mom.  I understand that I am just shy of 46, but if I ever said anything like that to or about my mom, she would knock me out and there would be no questions later.  

I would give a thread integrity tie in, but I think that this topic probably fell off the rails a while ago.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Do you remember the days when

Pearl Jam would announce a tour and you’d get so excited to see where you’d be able to catch the band for a run of shows or maybe just one show. But you knew that every night/morning you’d be glued to the message board to see what magic the band had pulled off in a town no where near where you lived and every time you read about a show you’d get more excited about the show or shows you were going to see because a Pearl Jam concert is a life changing never duplicated event. Holy shit they played a song for the first time in 20 years. Oh damn,  so and so joined them on stage. I could go on for days about all the magic they bring when they join the Pearl Jam community and we all share and absorb each note and lyric. I miss this. Miss it bad. 
    It was fun while it lasted. Happy that run lasted from my mid-teens to my late 20's. Now, in my mid-30's, if PJ plays a show, I'll go. If they don't, oh well. We've had a lot more fun (for a long time) with PJ than most people have with their favorite bands. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,800
    It’s supposed to be a hot one in the northeast today.   Stay hydrated my friends
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    I’ll settle for live DVDs at this point.
    What ever happened to PJ20 or any of the ballpark shows on DVD? Was this possibility a thing? I may be mistaken. 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    over 4 decades ago i was a teenager. in my prime
    so ya the best days are over. suck it up. push forward and LIVE
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

Isn't it ironic the c*** word is probably the worst word in US english but ladies are allowed to say the male counterpart d*** word everywhere and anywhere, including the office. Beyond frustrating. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

Isn't it ironic the c*** word is probably the worst word in US english but ladies are allowed to say the male counterpart d*** word everywhere and anywhere, including the office. Beyond frustrating. 
    I can say dick as much as I want because in German it just means thick/fat :wink:
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

At least Dick is a nickname for a more formal given name. The other? Not so much.
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,994
    Is it because Ames did not do a poster for the just finished EV tour?
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Has Ames done an Ed poster?  I had to look.  Only a couple.  
  • Options
    i wish they would just come out and say "we hate making records.  there's no money in it.  playing shows is fun and it pays bookoos of money.  thanks for understanding."  Steve Nicks did it.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    vaggar99 said:
    i wish they would just come out and say "we hate making records.  there's no money in it.  playing shows is fun and it pays bookoos of money.  thanks for understanding."  Steve Nicks did it.
    But they don't play shows
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    IBTL
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    brianlux said:

I didn't know that about the Brit/ North Am. differences.  Interesting.  To me words are words.  Just harmless arrangements of letters and sounds.  It's the intent, of course, that counts.  I'm not sure what the above intent what but it's a moot point because the mods have made it very clear about using it here.  Not worth getting put in jail or banned for.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    How about sissy 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    vaggar99 said:
    But they don't play shows
    they play festivals and stadiums with big pay days.  
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I’ve been debating for a while now if I should answer because my comment about my own mother caused some feathers to be ruffled here. If it makes anyone feel better my dad is a bigger one than my mom. Needless to say, my childhood wasn’t great. For the person who said the Axl Rose comment, that was indeed my muse for the post. (Love me some GNR) but my use of the C word had nothing to do with gender. To me it’s a great word to get a point across. Wouldn’t  have the same bite if I called her a douche. In another thread I called the guys from Oasis the C word and no one seemed to mind. (Maybe cause it fits.) I didn’t know we had banned words and when we start using Newspeak I’ll find another word. But for people to get so offended at something that wasn’t directed at anyone on this board, in the band or anywhere else PJ related really shocked me. To those people, I apologize. And to end the debate, I am an American so those across the pond thank you for being understanding. And last I looked, the C word is way less offensive than what that orange douchebag (want to call him the C word but won’t for the people here) says on almost a daily basis. Once again I am sorry to anyone I offended, that was never my goal. 

To keep this on topic, I will take a PJ show anywhere but I am tired of going to huge baseball stadiums with horrible sound to see my favorite band. If that’s the only option, so be it. Shit I’m sure we would all love to go back to the club days but for my money just give me somewhere made for live music. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I’ve been debating for a while now if I should answer because my comment about my own mother caused some feathers to be ruffled here. If it makes anyone feel better my dad is a bigger one than my mom. Needless to say, my childhood wasn’t great. For the person who said the Axl Rose comment, that was indeed my muse for the post. (Love me some GNR) but my use of the C word had nothing to do with gender. To me it’s a great word to get a point across. Wouldn’t  have the same bite if I called her a douche. In another thread I called the guys from Oasis the C word and no one seemed to mind. (Maybe cause it fits.) I didn’t know we had banned words and when we start using Newspeak I’ll find another word. But for people to get so offended at something that wasn’t directed at anyone on this board, in the band or anywhere else PJ related really shocked me. To those people, I apologize. And to end the debate, I am an American so those across the pond thank you for being understanding. And last I looked, the C word is way less offensive than what that orange douchebag (want to call him the C word but won’t for the people here) says on almost a daily basis. Once again I am sorry to anyone I offended, that was never my goal. 

To keep this on topic, I will take a PJ show anywhere but I am tired of going to huge baseball stadiums with horrible sound to see my favorite band. If that’s the only option, so be it. Shit I’m sure we would all love to go back to the club days but for my money just give me somewhere made for live music. 
    I'm one of those guys who commented about your use of the "c" word.  Like I said earlier, to me it's just a word.  No words bother me.  Well, maybe one- trump.  Kinda ruined certain card games, ya know?  But out of respect for the ladies here, a some of whom DO find it offensive, and out of respect for KAT who asked it not be used, I think it should be avoided.  I'm not a douche (I like that word too), so I'm not going to "rat anyone out".  I'm just sayin', that's all.

More importantly for you, I'm really sorry you had shitty parents.  That sucks.  I truly hope you can rise above and be something far better than them.  I bet you will too.

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    brianlux said:

I'm one of those guys who commented about your use of the "c" word.  Like I said earlier, to me it's just a word.  No words bother me.  Well, maybe one- trump.  Kinda ruined certain card games, ya know?  But out of respect for the ladies here, a some of whom DO find it offensive, and out of respect for KAT who asked it not be used, I think it should be avoided.  I'm not a douche (I like that word too), so I'm not going to "rat anyone out".  I'm just sayin', that's all.

More importantly for you, I'm really sorry you had shitty parents.  That sucks.  I truly hope you can rise above and be something far better than them.  I bet you will too.
    Thank you for the kind words. Time heals so everyday is better than the last. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.