Options

THE BEST DAYS ARE OVER!!

Comments

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    RS65573 said:
    Thansk JimmyV I needed that today. Every time I see this thread it makes me think of my life, not PJ. Very depressing. 
    I think subconsciously I created this thread with my own mortality in mind. And how the older I get the less excites me anymore and how everything good one day dies or slowly goes away. And the less time we all have for things we love. Sadly it sounds like we all need those good times to happen. Sooner than later. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Bob Dylan was one of the worst concerts I’ve ever seen. Huge letdown. 
    Same....but it was in 2012 I believe.    Horrible...HORRIBLE.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Bob Dylan was one of the worst concerts I’ve ever seen. Huge letdown. 
    Same....but it was in 2012 I believe.    Horrible...HORRIBLE.   
    1999. Couldn't believe how bad it was. That he's still touring 20 years later is wild.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I have not been to a Pearl Jam show in 16 years.  

We went to ACL’14 and left after one song because i’m a good parent and our little guy was tired.  

Im still here everyday.  Love the posters. Love to spin the records.  It is what you make it. 
  • Options
    I don’t remember the year I saw Dylan but good god it was absolutely horrible. He didn’t play guitar and his harmonica seemed always out of tune. Even his band were looking at him throughout the show with a what the fuck look on their faces. He seemed to be super wasted but Ive never seen anything about him being a junkie or booze hound. But it seems like people like to protect Dylan like he’s the second coming of Jesus or something. Don’t ever waste your money on a Dylan show. 

• Options

We went to ACL’14 and left after one song because i’m a good parent and our little guy was tired.  

Im still here everyday.  Love the posters. Love to spin the records.  It is what you make it. 
    I’m a good parent too I think but I let my daughter sleep at the show. She’s slept through Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and the Deftones that I can remember off hand. Now she’s 16 and got to see legends in concert. She might have slept during Chris Cornell acoustic in Modesto too. Lol. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

I’m a good parent too I think but I let my daughter sleep at the show. She’s slept through Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and the Deftones that I can remember off hand. Now she’s 16 and got to see legends in concert. She might have slept during Chris Cornell acoustic in Modesto too. Lol. 
    I hear ya.  It was hot.  Long day.  Super crowded even tho we were on the outskirts.  It was time LOL
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

Pearl Jam is one of my three favorite all time bands, with the other two being Tool & Faith No More.

Comparatively, PJ is still more prolific than either of those other two, so this break in 2019 doesn't really bother me. I would also prefer quality over quantity, so I'm in favor of them doing whatever they need to do to recharge the batteries right now.

It's all a matter of perspective, really. At least we have the reasonable expectation of more shows down the road, as compared to other bands who will never ever tour or play together again.

• Options
    Tool has continued to tour and I am really looking forward to the new album. That being said it’s not like they have just taken 2019 off. It’s been 6 years since Lightning Bolt. 6 years since a west coast tour. A little fore play here and there will just leave you with blue balls. Their batteries better be god damn full by now and no news is damn well not good news. It’s scary how little activity there has been with so much going on in the world. Well at least we haven’t gotten another Bushleager. I kid. I kinda like that song.  
  • Options
    Let me add a 🌈 to this depressing ass thread. 

No tour and no album means more money to spend on super fun things like bills and food. I was able to resist spending 40+ of my hard earned money on a 7 song EP so more money saved. Did buy 2 mystery boxes though but I had money for those cause of the lack of tickets and albums to buy. Life is good. 🤮
  • Options
    Name an “active” band that does less than Pearl Jam in terms of touring and new music. 

I can only only think of one off hand. Radiohead. And I believe cause they are all bat shit crazy geniuses. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    JimmyV said:
    Important to remember that even if the best days are over, that does not mean there cannot be good days ahead.
    No matter how cold the winter, there’s a spring time ahead
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    JimmyV said:
    Important to remember that even if the best days are over, that does not mean there cannot be good days ahead.
    No matter how cold the winter, there’s a spring time ahead
    So true. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I hope winter is as short as in Game of Thrones. One episode. Lol
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    Name an “active” band that does less than Pearl Jam in terms of touring and new music. 

I can only only think of one off hand. Radiohead. And I believe cause they are all bat shit crazy geniuses. 
    My Morning Jacket
  • Options
    tdawe said:

My Morning Jacket
    Good call
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    tdawe said:

My Morning Jacket
    Good call
    But as with Pearl Jam, when they do play it’s an Event. I’m heading out to Red Rocks in a few weeks. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Im just hoping they take a page out of Phish's playbook on their next tour and do a live webcast for every show.  Im not sure why they havent done that already. Especially since each of their shows are different night to night.
    It’s called periscope 
  • Options
    ManUnitedManUnited Jersey Shore Posts: 160
    I don’t remember the year I saw Dylan but good god it was absolutely horrible. He didn’t play guitar and his harmonica seemed always out of tune. Even his band were looking at him throughout the show with a what the fuck look on their faces. He seemed to be super wasted but Ive never seen anything about him being a junkie or booze hound. But it seems like people like to protect Dylan like he’s the second coming of Jesus or something. Don’t ever waste your money on a Dylan show. 

Bill Kreutzmannn talked about this in his book, Deal. Can't remember if it was a drinking or drug problem.

"Whoever, when he dies, leaves on paper a beautiful line of poetry has left the heavens richer and the earth too.”
    F. PESSOA
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020

Just stop it. He's cute.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    This thread has turned into one of those things similar to where people try to out-misfortune each other to see who's had worse luck.  You know those discussions.  

A: I had to a rod, two pins, and 5 screws in my leg.  
    B: Oh yeah, well I had to get two rods, 3 pins, & 15 screws when I broke my ankle.
    A: And now my bone infused to the rod and they can't adjust it.
    B: I just eventually had to get my foot amputated.

but instead its:
    A:  Pearl Jam are this, this, and this, they deserve to work at their own pace.
    B: Yeh but DMB are also this, this, and this and they still tour all year every year and put out 17 albums a month. What is PJ doing?
    etc.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    There’s so much good music happening these days that I really don’t feel I’m missing these guys at all , plus just being able to score tickets to the new/old bands that are putting out good great music is enough for me ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    What happened to this band. We have the war on women’s rights in the southern states. We have a atrocious douche bag as president. And we have a outspoken kick ass band silent as all hell. Maybe we are all just fucking old now and effort is too much well... effort. 
  • Options
    There’s so much good music happening these days that I really don’t feel I’m missing these guys at all , plus just being able to score tickets to the new/old bands that are putting out good great music is enough for me ..
    I haven’t heard anything in a long time that gets me like Pearl Jam. Like I said above. Maybe I’m just fucking old now. 
  • Options
    What happened to this band. We have the war on women’s rights in the southern states. We have a atrocious douche bag as president. And we have a outspoken kick ass band silent as all hell. Maybe we are all just fucking old now and effort is too much well... effort. 
    2020. I feel it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    2020. I feel it.
    I pray to the god I don’t believe in that you are correct my friend. Bring on 2020 for a number of reasons. 
  • Options
    Do you remember the days when

Pearl Jam would announce a tour and you’d get so excited to see where you’d be able to catch the band for a run of shows or maybe just one show. But you knew that every night/morning you’d be glued to the message board to see what magic the band had pulled off in a town no where near where you lived and every time you read about a show you’d get more excited about the show or shows you were going to see because a Pearl Jam concert is a life changing never duplicated event. Holy shit they played a song for the first time in 20 years. Oh damn,  so and so joined them on stage. I could go on for days about all the magic they bring when they join the Pearl Jam community and we all share and absorb each note and lyric. I miss this. Miss it bad. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    Somehow this all reminds me of something I read recently:

"I think musicians should be like warriors.  Defiant and searching, like Miles Davis. "
    -Henry Rollings, Smile, You're Travelling

Henry goes on to talk about his love of jazz, one main reason being that many of the jazz greats were and are warriors

"Many of the great beboppers were warriors of the highest pedigree.  They were black and got fucked over for their beauty and brilliance.  They were hard core and many of them went out poor and beat down.  No five car garages paid for by the royalties of one hit record for these guys.  It was the hard route, the real road, poorly lit rooms, prison, insane asylums, addiction, obscurity, oblivion, and cowardly whites holding them down.  Amazing music from a higher level that they paid for in full."

You won't find a lot of these "warriors" in popular rock music.  Neil Young is one, for sure.  Willie Nelson- you bet.  Same with Bob Dylan.  Bob is 78 years old and still out there doing it.  Sorry if this sounds offensive to some of you, but slighting Dylan because he doesn't meet your expectations is weak and pathetic.  When you're 78, let's see if you're still making the rounds.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

"I think musicians should be like warriors.  Defiant and searching, like Miles Davis. "

Henry goes on to talk about his love of jazz, one main reason being that many of the jazz greats were and are warriors

"Many of the great beboppers were warriors of the highest pedigree.  They were black and got fucked over for their beauty and brilliance.  They were hard core and many of them went out poor and beat down.  No five car garages paid for by the royalties of one hit record for these guys.  It was the hard route, the real road, poorly lit rooms, prison, insane asylums, addiction, obscurity, oblivion, and cowardly whites holding them down.  Amazing music from a higher level that they paid for in full."

You won't find a lot of these "warriors" in popular rock music.  Neil Young is one, for sure.  Willie Nelson- you bet.  Same with Bob Dylan.  Bob is 78 years old and still out there doing it.  Sorry if this sounds offensive to some of you, but slighting Dylan because he doesn't meet your expectations is weak and pathetic.  When you're 78, let's see if you're still making the rounds.
    I saw Dylan over 20 years ago and it was horrible. I saw Bob Seger in February and while the spirit is there the voice is not. So some people, ie: Dylan need to give it up if they can not perform half way decent. Shit, Jagger is still up there destroying it. We have warriors this day and age like DMB but a band like Pearl Jam who have worn their influences on their sleeve like Neil Young really need to take a play out of their book. Uncle Neil is still doing it on a regular basis. I must just be a super selfish asshole because a band I grew up with that have changed and paved the way for my life, I just don’t think it’s too much to ask for some productivity. But like I said. That’s me being selfish. There is only one and will always be only one Pearl Jam and if they called it a day today they still have done for my life than my parents ever did. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I saw Dylan over 20 years ago and it was horrible. I saw Bob Seger in February and while the spirit is there the voice is not. So some people, ie: Dylan need to give it up if they can not perform half way decent. Shit, Jagger is still up there destroying it. We have warriors this day and age like DMB but a band like Pearl Jam who have worn their influences on their sleeve like Neil Young really need to take a play out of their book. Uncle Neil is still doing it on a regular basis. I must just be a super selfish asshole because a band I grew up with that have changed and paved the way for my life, I just don’t think it’s too much to ask for some productivity. But like I said. That’s me being selfish. There is only one and will always be only one Pearl Jam and if they called it a day today they still have done for my life than my parents ever did. 
    I want to post a GIF from Superbad. But I think with the "all ages" thing on this forum I would get in trouble if I did. 

But it would have been a funny place to use the GIF.