THE BEST DAYS ARE OVER!!

124678

Comments

  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, INPosts: 2,950
    Cosmo said:
    You spend your entire life writing songs for your first album. You get a 6 months to write your second. That’s how it used to be in the age of record companies.
    And the normal trajectory for bands was a lot of music early on, which meant you had to promote record sales. Touring was the best vehicle for that.
    Nowadays, post-Record company and the market demand for physical formats waning, it is merchandising and touring that pays the bills.
    So many factors come into play. Artistically, you run low on thing you have to say, because you’ve already said it. Saying the same thing over and over doesn’t work.
    So, it starts out selling Records and touring early on, but the older you get, the older that touring shit gets. 
    Look at the older bands. Do you want new music from The Rolling Stones? Paul McCartney? KIZZ? NO!!! You want to hear the old stuff. Not just the hits, I’d see the Stones if they played ‘Rocks Off’ instead of ‘Satisfaction’ but they will play the big hits to satisfy the masses.
    i don’t blame Pearl Jam to get off of the grueling road and chill with the families.
    Take their kids to soccer practice, enjoy a quiet dinner with the wife, hanging with friends or just sitting around.
    They are artists and musicians. They can’t avoid creating, but it gets tougher to come up with something new, every time. They don’t get the luxury we have, repeating the same stories of our lives, changing up the words but telling the same story over and over.
    As with all other bands, they will end. That’s okay. We can move on. They can tour, but I don’t want them to fall into the tour the hits phase. I mean, I’m pretty sure The Beach Boys get on stage some nights and dread playing ‘Surfin USA’ for the bazillionth time.
    i just want them to be happy. That’s want I want from them, to be happy.
    But, that’s just me.
    First of all. I don’t want any music from Kiss. New or old. And you make great points. But the selfish me wants to see my band live to give me something to look forward too and forget that I work full time and Trump is president. I need distractions people. And one can only masterbate so many times. 
    You're either ahead of me, or I'm setting new records here! #neverstoptrying
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    #thestruggleisreal 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • KN219077KN219077 MontanaPosts: 418
    I don’t think anyone expects the band to embark on 30 date tours every year, and let’s be honest, Ed’s voice can’t handle that, but a little consistency would be nice. Like even what they did in 2018 satisfied a decent amount of the fans in the US . If they did 10-15 US dates a year it would keep them off the road for long stretches and still hit the major markets and keep fans happy. DMB’s work ethic is an unfair comparison. They’ve toured like that almost every year since 1994
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    I don’t expect a year 2000 type tour schedule but six years from any west coast swings hurts the soul. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • rummyrummy Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,884
    mcgruff10 said:
    2015 to the present: 63 shows
    2000: 76 shows that we got 72 official bootlegs from and one vault.


    Help me out here....what's the show I can't account for????
    Bellingham was a Vault release...Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver wasn't released...For obviously reasons, Denmark wasn't released....what show am I missing?
    Auckland 1998, Toronto 1 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Toronto 1&2 2016, Seattle 1&2 2018
  • 3days3days Posts: 776
    I don't blame anybody for wanting more live Pearl Jam, but I think artists should control all aspects of their art. Touring annually for no particular reason, playing a set number of shows each year, and allowing a business formula to dictate art, all sound like a great way to achieve stale performance. If the band isn't feeling it, why should they tour?  
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 489
    The band will only do something if they want to. And at this moment in time they arent arsed . 

    i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 19,293
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    2015 to the present: 63 shows
    2000: 76 shows that we got 72 official bootlegs from and one vault.


    Help me out here....what's the show I can't account for????
    Bellingham was a Vault release...Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver wasn't released...For obviously reasons, Denmark wasn't released....what show am I missing?
    I m sorry for some reason I counted the david letterman show (they played grievance). My bad on that. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 51
    Something I always try to keep in mind is that it's much bigger than just 6 dudes. One thing I took away from the last issue of DEEP (whenever that was) is that there a ton of people involved in the touring operation, those people are professionals, and the band is very respectful of them. Pearl Jam's crew are veterans and they're in-demand in their industry, and I can see how the one-year-on-one-year-off model that they've been more or less doing for the last few years makes some sense - they crew up in the even years for high-paying gigs at a relatively leisurely pace with a band that seems to be all good dudes, and in the odd years they're free to pick up with whatever other tours they want to, or spend more time with their families if they choose.

    I'm sure all of this is true of DMB's crew as well, but it may just be a different model/relationship where they've decided they're touring every year and at a faster pace. 
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 470
    edited July 11
    KN219077 said:
    Good to know PJ fans aren't the only ones that cry about setlists.  That dude complaining that it's the same old stuff for his 53rd show!  LOL.
    Didn’t read the thread, but that’s funny about the same old stuff lol.
    Post edited by FactoryMan93 on
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, GeorgiaPosts: 1,167
    RT85129 said:
    Imagine if you lived in Atlanta.  A city of 6.5 Million people.  

    Pearl Jam has played Atlanta once since 2003.  And it was a festival....


    And it would be hell alone to have to live in Georgia. Good point. 
    Other than the heat, Georgia is doing just fine.  A proper show would be great though.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • rummyrummy Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,884
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    2015 to the present: 63 shows
    2000: 76 shows that we got 72 official bootlegs from and one vault.


    Help me out here....what's the show I can't account for????
    Bellingham was a Vault release...Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver wasn't released...For obviously reasons, Denmark wasn't released....what show am I missing?
    I m sorry for some reason I counted the david letterman show (they played grievance). My bad on that. 
    Hey, Letterman counts in my book!
    Auckland 1998, Toronto 1 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Toronto 1&2 2016, Seattle 1&2 2018
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 991
    How does DMB compare with PJ on the corporate gig circuit?
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • JB11402JB11402 Posts: 3
    At least they have enough energy to put out a $43 (with shipping) rehashed, 7 whole song live EP that we already bought on CD in 2006! Let's look at the bright side  =)
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, GeorgiaPosts: 1,167
    JB11402 said:
    At least they have enough energy to put out a $43 (with shipping) rehashed, 7 whole song live EP that we already bought on CD in 2006! Let's look at the bright side  =)
    More $$$ towards NOT needing to tour
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPROPosts: 136,396

    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 177
    "Realize that being on that stage comes first" I hope none of Pearl Jam's members EVER "realize" that...
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 3,610
    hsohi said:
    How does DMB compare with PJ on the corporate gig circuit?
    Comprable. Especially Dave. 

  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 3,610
    tdawe said:
    Something I always try to keep in mind is that it's much bigger than just 6 dudes. One thing I took away from the last issue of DEEP (whenever that was) is that there a ton of people involved in the touring operation, those people are professionals, and the band is very respectful of them. Pearl Jam's crew are veterans and they're in-demand in their industry, and I can see how the one-year-on-one-year-off model that they've been more or less doing for the last few years makes some sense - they crew up in the even years for high-paying gigs at a relatively leisurely pace with a band that seems to be all good dudes, and in the odd years they're free to pick up with whatever other tours they want to, or spend more time with their families if they choose.

    I'm sure all of this is true of DMB's crew as well, but it may just be a different model/relationship where they've decided they're touring every year and at a faster pace. 
    This is definitely true. A few years ago DMB didn't tour and took a year off. They announced it a year in advance because they let the crew know so they could book other gigs. 

    PJ probably keeps things a little less defined and flexible.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 11,608
    tdawe said:
    Something I always try to keep in mind is that it's much bigger than just 6 dudes. One thing I took away from the last issue of DEEP (whenever that was) is that there a ton of people involved in the touring operation, those people are professionals, and the band is very respectful of them. Pearl Jam's crew are veterans and they're in-demand in their industry, and I can see how the one-year-on-one-year-off model that they've been more or less doing for the last few years makes some sense - they crew up in the even years for high-paying gigs at a relatively leisurely pace with a band that seems to be all good dudes, and in the odd years they're free to pick up with whatever other tours they want to, or spend more time with their families if they choose.

    I'm sure all of this is true of DMB's crew as well, but it may just be a different model/relationship where they've decided they're touring every year and at a faster pace. 
    This is definitely true. A few years ago DMB didn't tour and took a year off. They announced it a year in advance because they let the crew know so they could book other gigs. 

    PJ probably keeps things a little less defined and flexible.
    For sure.  PJ only needs a crew for 2-3 weeks a year.  DMB is going to need a whole summer.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,368
    tdawe said:
    Something I always try to keep in mind is that it's much bigger than just 6 dudes. One thing I took away from the last issue of DEEP (whenever that was) is that there a ton of people involved in the touring operation, those people are professionals, and the band is very respectful of them. Pearl Jam's crew are veterans and they're in-demand in their industry, and I can see how the one-year-on-one-year-off model that they've been more or less doing for the last few years makes some sense - they crew up in the even years for high-paying gigs at a relatively leisurely pace with a band that seems to be all good dudes, and in the odd years they're free to pick up with whatever other tours they want to, or spend more time with their families if they choose.

    I'm sure all of this is true of DMB's crew as well, but it may just be a different model/relationship where they've decided they're touring every year and at a faster pace. 
    This is definitely true. A few years ago DMB didn't tour and took a year off. They announced it a year in advance because they let the crew know so they could book other gigs. 

    PJ probably keeps things a little less defined and flexible.
    For sure.  PJ only needs a crew for 2-3 weeks a year.  DMB is going to need a whole summer.
    Correction.  2-3 weeks every other year. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 19,293
    bbiggs said:
    tdawe said:
    Something I always try to keep in mind is that it's much bigger than just 6 dudes. One thing I took away from the last issue of DEEP (whenever that was) is that there a ton of people involved in the touring operation, those people are professionals, and the band is very respectful of them. Pearl Jam's crew are veterans and they're in-demand in their industry, and I can see how the one-year-on-one-year-off model that they've been more or less doing for the last few years makes some sense - they crew up in the even years for high-paying gigs at a relatively leisurely pace with a band that seems to be all good dudes, and in the odd years they're free to pick up with whatever other tours they want to, or spend more time with their families if they choose.

    I'm sure all of this is true of DMB's crew as well, but it may just be a different model/relationship where they've decided they're touring every year and at a faster pace. 
    This is definitely true. A few years ago DMB didn't tour and took a year off. They announced it a year in advance because they let the crew know so they could book other gigs. 

    PJ probably keeps things a little less defined and flexible.
    For sure.  PJ only needs a crew for 2-3 weeks a year.  DMB is going to need a whole summer.
    Correction.  2-3 weeks every other year. 
    Definitely not odd years.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CTPosts: 860
    JimmyV said:
    Imagine something like this announced next January?

    April 30 - Pensacola, FL @ Pensacola Bay Center
    May 1- Jacksonville, FL @ Veterans Memorial Arena
    May 4 - New Orleans, LA @ New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    May  7 - Pelham, AL @ Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
    May 11 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
    May 14 - Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Center
    May 15 - Maryland Heights, MO @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
    May  17 - The Woodlands, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
    May  18- Dallas, TX @ Dos Equis Pavilion|
    June 14 - Camden, NJ @ BB&T Pavilion
    June 15 - Camden, NJ @ BB&T Pavilion|
    June  19 - Bethel, NY @ Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
    June  21 - Mansfield, MA @ Xfinity Center
    June  22 - Hartford, CT @ Xfinity Theatre
    June 28 - Noblesville, IN @ Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center
    June  29 - Noblesville, IN @Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center
    July 2 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
    July 3 - Tinley Park, IL @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
    July 5 - Elkhorn, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    July 6 - Elkhorn, WI @Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    July 9 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Center
    July  10 - Toronto, ON @ Budweiser Stage
    July  12 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center
    July  13 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center
    July 17 - Wantagh, NY @ Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater
    July 19 - Charlotte, NC @ PNC Music Pavilion
    July 20 - Bristow, VA @ Jiffy Lube Live
    July 23 - Alpharetta, GA @ Ameris Bank Amphitheatre
    July 24 - Tampa, FL @ MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre
    July 26 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Coral Sky Amphitheatre
    July  27 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Coral Sky Amphitheatre
    Aug 23 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Aug 24 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Aug  27 - West Valley City, UT @ USANA Amphitheatre
    Aug 30 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Aug 31 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Sept 1 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Sept 4 - Ridgefield, WA @ Sunlight Supply Amphitheater
    Sept 6 - Stateline, NV @ Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena at Harveys
    Sept 7 - Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
    Sept 13 - Phoenix, AZ @ Ak-Chin Pavilion
    Sept 22 - Asbury Park, NJ @ Sea.Hear.Now Festival

    I’m on a trek to see a concert in every state (35 down) and PJ being  my favorite band, I began some 25 years ago making them the band of choice for travel. Now it’s Dave (and Dispatch) as you can always rely on a Dave tour. Last year was Tahoe and this year is Salt Lake City. I keep putting Red Rocks and The Gorge on the back burner with the hope someday PJ again plays one of those venues. I used to think I’d at least get to see them at the Gorge but now I’m not that hopeful. PJ is still the best live show out there for me. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10, Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, MIssoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 2,515
    deadendp said:
    Riverbend? Ick. Can we get something a bit more centrally located in Ohio? Riverbend tops out at 15,000. 

    Columbus?

    Cleveland? 

    :smiley:
    I second this!
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    JB11402 said:
    At least they have enough energy to put out a $43 (with shipping) rehashed, 7 whole song live EP that we already bought on CD in 2006! Let's look at the bright side  =)
    That’s the closest thing we are going to get to live Pearl Jam for a while. Well some of us. Not me. I missed the boat on ordering. At least we have Pearl Jam radio.  B)
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    dlymnfld said:
    JimmyV said:
    Imagine something like this announced next January?

    April 30 - Pensacola, FL @ Pensacola Bay Center
    May 1- Jacksonville, FL @ Veterans Memorial Arena
    May 4 - New Orleans, LA @ New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    May  7 - Pelham, AL @ Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
    May 11 - Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
    May 14 - Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Center
    May 15 - Maryland Heights, MO @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
    May  17 - The Woodlands, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
    May  18- Dallas, TX @ Dos Equis Pavilion|
    June 14 - Camden, NJ @ BB&T Pavilion
    June 15 - Camden, NJ @ BB&T Pavilion|
    June  19 - Bethel, NY @ Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
    June  21 - Mansfield, MA @ Xfinity Center
    June  22 - Hartford, CT @ Xfinity Theatre
    June 28 - Noblesville, IN @ Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center
    June  29 - Noblesville, IN @Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center
    July 2 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
    July 3 - Tinley Park, IL @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre
    July 5 - Elkhorn, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    July 6 - Elkhorn, WI @Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    July 9 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Center
    July  10 - Toronto, ON @ Budweiser Stage
    July  12 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center
    July  13 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center
    July 17 - Wantagh, NY @ Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater
    July 19 - Charlotte, NC @ PNC Music Pavilion
    July 20 - Bristow, VA @ Jiffy Lube Live
    July 23 - Alpharetta, GA @ Ameris Bank Amphitheatre
    July 24 - Tampa, FL @ MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre
    July 26 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Coral Sky Amphitheatre
    July  27 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Coral Sky Amphitheatre
    Aug 23 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Aug 24 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Aug  27 - West Valley City, UT @ USANA Amphitheatre
    Aug 30 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Aug 31 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Sept 1 - Quincy, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre
    Sept 4 - Ridgefield, WA @ Sunlight Supply Amphitheater
    Sept 6 - Stateline, NV @ Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena at Harveys
    Sept 7 - Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
    Sept 13 - Phoenix, AZ @ Ak-Chin Pavilion
    Sept 22 - Asbury Park, NJ @ Sea.Hear.Now Festival

    I’m on a trek to see a concert in every state (35 down) and PJ being  my favorite band, I began some 25 years ago making them the band of choice for travel. Now it’s Dave (and Dispatch) as you can always rely on a Dave tour. Last year was Tahoe and this year is Salt Lake City. I keep putting Red Rocks and The Gorge on the back burner with the hope someday PJ again plays one of those venues. I used to think I’d at least get to see them at the Gorge but now I’m not that hopeful. PJ is still the best live show out there for me. 
    Don’t hold your breath. PJ now plays only the best sounding venues. Baseball parks. What acoustics they have. Stellar. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    But you are right. When they play, PJ is the best live band going. For sure. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 14,115
    Think about Harvest Moon, Broken Arrow and Silver & Gold. The best days are ahead.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 208
    Think about Harvest Moon, Broken Arrow and Silver & Gold. The best days are ahead.
    Neil still tours more than PJ and he’s almost a fossil. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 14,115
    Think about Harvest Moon, Broken Arrow and Silver & Gold. The best days are ahead.
    Neil still tours more than PJ and he’s almost a fossil. 
    And is more lose and mixes up the set more than PJ
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
Sign In or Register to comment.